Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sossal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  03:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow scribes!
Just wondering over here if there is anywhere I can find lore on
Sossal geography'culture'rulers etc. And I was wondering is it on the map of Faerun given with the FRCS? I can't find it.Is it the northernmost nation?

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  04:27:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sossal doesn't appear on the 3e FR map. It does on the 2e map though. Sossal lies just north-east of the Great Glacier... directly beyond it in fact.

Having said that, the 2e Great Glacier tome has a little about Sossal, but not a great deal. The 2e Running the Realms sourcebook has a few details about the end of the kingship in Sossal. Other than that though, it's still a pretty undeveloped region of the Realms in terms of source material.

From Ed's scrolls, we know that on the topic of the use of surnames in Sossal, people who marry into other families, are granted a surname which passes down in a matrilineal fashion.

Other than that though, and to fully answer your specific questions about geography and culture in Sossal, as well as its rulers, I would suggest you ask Ed in his scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  08:34:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trust me, there is little or no information on Sossal out there. What there is, is tangential. I've been looking at the history of the Sossrim for one of my most recent homebrew projects - I'll get back to you at the end of the year.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  13:32:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've been looking at the history of the Sossrim for one of my most recent homebrew projects - I'll get back to you at the end of the year.
Oooh...

Anything you'll be sharing with us Krash?

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  18:55:56  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best information on Sossal is found in the 2E Wizards and Rogues of the Realms and Warriors and Priests of hte Realms. There is a paragraph in the 2E FRCS and I think Eric included a paragraph on the Sossrim in the 3E Races of Faerun. There are also some snippets in the Horde box set, but I don't recall anything in the Great Glacier.

On a related topic, the avariel who live in the region get some talk in the 2E Demihuman Deities and I believe the 2E Demihumans of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  22:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks guys It's too bad there isin't more information on it I find it interesting due to it's isolation and the peoples innate druidic abilites. As you said i'll take my specifics to Ed thanks again

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  00:52:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Oooh...

Oh, just one of those dry, boring timelines - like my North one. Nothing to get too excited about. Except unlike the North one, I've got to make up a heck of a lot more stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 01 Jun 2005 00:53:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  02:31:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

...but I don't recall anything in the Great Glacier.
It mostly relates to the timeline presented in the tome. We learn of several explorers and hunters from Sossal who make the journey to the Great Glacier, mostly for game.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  02:41:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Oooh...

Oh, just one of those dry, boring timelines - like my North one. Nothing to get too excited about. Except unlike the North one, I've got to make up a heck of a lot more stuff.

-- George Krashos

Well, it is enough to get me excited .

I'd welcome any particular focus on these upper Realms regions. There just simply isn't enough Realmslore for them...

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  21:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The most information you're likely to find on Sossal is contained in the short story "The Greatest Hero Who Ever Died" by J. Robert King. You'll find it in Realms of Infamy, and I believe also in Best of the Realms. A terrific read in any event.
Go to Top of Page

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  14:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the information I've gathered on Sossal from the few available canon sources, hope this helps:

Sossal:

Appearance:
Even the Iulutiun people have not adapted to the brutal environment of the north as well as the Sossrim. These folk have skin that is as pallid as snow and hair with the fine, silver tint of an icicle. So perfectly camouflaged are the Sossrim that they can throw themselves flat upon snow and virtually vanish from sight. Even so, the Iulutiun do have pigment in their eyes and traces of color at the roots of their hair.

Culture:
The Sossrim are a difficult people to know, their inherit lack of trust to outsiders does not promote the sharing of information.

“As cold as the snow that hides them” is how one sage described the people of Sossal. They are slow to laugh, and even slower to trust anyone who is not of their blood, shunning displays of emotion. Even when that trust is earned, it must be constantly renewed and re-earned. Many are cold-hearted pragmatists who have no qualms about taking actions that others may find uncivilized. A wounded comrade who will die slowly is slain quickly. After all, why make him suffer needlessly? Old people who have outlived their usefulness can either wander out into the icy waste and die in the cold, or take a quick-acting poison brewed from a scraggly arctic plant.

The Sossrim feel exposed and vulnerable when not in the arctic environment of their homes. At first, this merely makes them a bit edgy. Within a fortnight, however, a Sossrim traveler begins to become almost paranoid. The evolutionary traits that allow him to survive in the north, often works against him in warmer regions. This leaves them anxious to return to their homes, and will take a direct approach to their goals so they may promptly return.

Roles:
Many Sossrim pay homage to the Frostmaiden, Auril, and become druids of her faith. Clerics are not unknown, but druids do make up the vast majority of the church. It is through their powers that the Sossrim are able to craft their unique furniture, but the druids of Auril have also given the Sossrim people a reputation for powerful magics.

The arcane magics of the Sossrim is based partly on a natural understanding of the sparse life that manages to survive in the frozen North. In both the majestic polar bear and the stubble of lichen clinging to an outcropping of rock, there is a magical power. When a Sossrim mage works his spells, he taps into this energy and channels it to do his will. As he becomes more familiar with the frozen world’s creatures, he gains more power. Over time, many gain the ability to assume the shape of the many animals that live around them.

The stoic warriors of Sossal are often of a hearty, muscular build and grave temperment. When in the field they prefer polar bear furs, and painting their armor white so they can better blend with their environment. The hatred the Sossrim have for dragons becomes fanaticism among their warriors. Their hatred goes so far that if a Sossrim warrior wishes to achieve a leadership position, he must slay a white dragon.

Religion:
They are believed to venerate the gods of the Faerunian pantheon, although the worship of a relative benign aspect of Auril seems to be predominant.

Language:
Sossrims speak a version of Damaran and use the Dethek runes.

Items:
The Sossrim are given to dressing entirely in white.

Bear Robes: Many Sossrim wear these robe, which are made from the white fur of polar bears. Usually the hides are removed in such a way that the head remains intact and attached to the rest of the skin. When such a robe is crafted correctly, the bear’s head is placed over that of the wearer. Seen from a distance, it is easy to mistake a hooded Sossrim as an upright polar bear or some manner of lycanthrope. This gave rise to the stories of all Sossrim being able to change shape.

Vodka: This is one of the strongest liquors on Faerun and rivals dwarven ales. It is a popular export in the southern lands, especially in the Moonsea, Dales, Dragon Reach, and Rashemen.

Furniture: Sossar furniture is intricately ornate but yet smooth and without seams. It is not carved but sculpted by the Sossrim. It’s very popular in Sembia where it’s sold and exorbitant prices.

Exports:
Furs, seal meat from the Great Glacier, beautiful items of shaped wood, furniture, gold, vodka.

Imports:
Dwarven weapons, silver, various meats

Geography:
Naupau: This is the only known trade city of Sossal, home of the Sossrim. Foreign visitors are discouraged and those that do come are confined inside the walls of the city. Naupau maintains a sizeable trading fleet and has established some outposts along the coast of the Yal Tengri.

Relations with others:
This remote realm far to the North of Narfell has little contact with the rest of Faerun. Once or twice a year (generally in the summer), visitors from Sossal arrive in Damara for lucrative trades. Additionally, it is suspected that their captains know some secret route through the northern ice pack and into the seas beyond. There are even tales of strange ships of pale, white-robed men appearing in the far ports of Calimshan.

Enemies:
Dragons: The Sossrim all bear a fanatical hatred of white dragons, a hatred that spills over to all dragons types. To the Sossrim, there is no such thing as a good dragon, period.

Iyraclea: The self-styled Ice-Queen, Iyraclea lives in or beneath a castle of sculpted ice somewhere in the northern reaches of the Great Glacier. She is a mighty cleric of Auril, and embodies the Frost maiden’s fury in her relentless assaults on the people of Sossal. She is served by gelugon’s, called the Icy Claws of Iyraclea. Iyraclea is said to occasionally use spells to kidnap young, vigorous wizards from Sossal and even the southern lands of Vaasa and Damara. Some speculate that she needs their life essence to prolong her own, for she does seem to be very long-lived. Perhaps she’s assembling a force of wizards loyal to her or coerced into her service, or somehow channeling their spell power to extend the Great Glacier'’ reach once again into the Cold Lands. Iyraclea is known for her fearsome epic spells. The Ice Queen built her palace in the Great Glacier after the fashion of lost Jhothûn and long sought its secrets, styling herself its new Empress.

History:
During the Orcgate Wars, the Sossrim fought in the armies of Mulhorand alongside the Raumvirans and the Rashemi. After the followers of Gruumsh were defeated, the Sossrims retreated to their northern lands, where they established the isolated kingdom of Sossal. The Sossrims briefly fell under the sway of the Raumathar at the height of that empire, but they have otherwise retained their independence. Before the retreat of the Great Glacier, Sossrim traders were seen far south as northern Impultur, but now rarely venture beyond Vaasa or the northern reaches of Damara, Narfell, and Rashamen.

-1967 DR: First Mulhorand-Unther war. Rashemi, Raumviran, Sossrim, and Nar tribesfolk are employed as mercenaries by both sides.

-1648 DR: Hunters skilled in winter survival migrate west from Sossal to search for new species of game in the Great Glacier. Shortly thereafter, a dragon-kin ambushes the party and kills the leader. The survivors panic and become lost, inadvertently moving deeper into the Great Glacier. Eventually they reach the shores of the Lugalpgotak Sea. The renouce their faith in Auril and the gods, whom they hold responsible for their misfortune. Permanent settlements are established and the hunters become the precursors to the Ulutiun people.

-841 DR: First contact between the expanding Raumathar Empire and the reclusive Sossalian natives. Trade between the two nations soon blossoms, and maritime traffic on the Great Ice Sea grows frequent.

-150 DR: Year of Recompense. Sossal is invaded by the summoned servitors of the Narfell-Raumathar conflagration. Besieged and decimated by the wild magic storms and plagues that sweep the region, the Sossalians turn inward, thereafter shunning the outside world.

466 DR: Deadly disease brought to Great Glacier by Treasure Hunters from Sossal. Hundreds of Angulutians and caribou succumb to the sickness.

1060 DR: Dwarves of the Herlinga clan from Sossal sail across the Great Ice Sea and inhabit the Glittering Spires.

1319 DR: The Year of the Fallen Throne. The kingship of Sossal ends in bloodshed.

1356 DR: The Year of the Worm. Dabron Sashenstar charts a passage through the Novularond Peaks to Sossal. He also discovers the tower of the long-dead mage Caddelyn. Dabron Sashenstar charts a passage through the Novularond Peaks to Sossal. He also discovers the tower of the long-dead mage Caddelyn and returns to Baldur's Gate with the Hauberk of Sossal.

Edited by - Arravis on 02 Jun 2005 14:34:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  14:37:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arravis, it would probably be handy if you also named the sources you compiled this information from, to assist scribes who may wish to pick up specific FR tomes.

Go to Top of Page

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  14:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been nearly a year since I gathered the info, but the sources as I recall were:

Mostly from the FRCS; the Epic Level Handbook (for Iyraclea), Wizards and Rogues of the Realms (FOR9), Warriors and Priests of the Realms (FOR10), and of course the Great Glacier (FR14)

A few tiny bits are from the Unapproachable East, the Horde box set (I think), and the Bloodstone Lands (FR9, again I'm not 100% sure on this one, been a while).

I did read "The Greatest Hero Who Ever Died", but I didn't find alot that was useful in there. In my opinion, that story was clearly written for some other world/setting and the names were changed to fit it somewhere in the realms. There was no effort made to look at previously written material on the area, etc.

Edited by - Arravis on 02 Jun 2005 14:51:38
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  00:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any new lore to add to this?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  01:14:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. The more recent that come to mind...

See Dabron Sashenstar's writeup in Power of Faerûn. There's not much to do with Sossal itself in the entry, beyond what Dabron was doing, though I get the feeling there may be something important with respect to this tidbit: "I've shared a fire with the Sossrim."

A Sossal-specific breed of horse is covered in Champions Of Valor.

And the Grand History Of The Realms reveals a few hitherto unrevealed dates in Sossal's history. Which, as I recall, were crafted by Krash [and likely what he alluded to above].

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Oct 2008 01:15:38
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  19:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Is there any new lore to add to this?

I'm sure there were some Sossrim henchmen in Mark Sehestedt's novel, Frostfell. I don't think there was much on Sossal or the characters themselves, but I may be mistaken - I only read it once, and have read a lot more since then.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  23:11:29  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't there a little Sossrim-related lore found in book three of the Year of Rogue Dragons series?
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  01:39:09  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish there was more info on Sossal too. I doubt it will ever be explored officially now, thanks to 4th Edition, and even if it was I'd be too worried it'd be a bastardized version. In other words, I'd be too worried about the history and current events of Sossal to be littered with Feywild stuff, primordial/dragonborn/Abeir/Spellplague crap that just don't belong in Realmslore at all, personally. I don't mind fey material, and with a druidic place like Sossal it'd make sense...but I just can't swallow the Feywild stuff since it's just 4e propaganda.

If Sossal was explored in 4E without any thing related to 4E lore jammed in it, I'd gladly be interested.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  07:03:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arravis

1356 DR: The Year of the Worm. Dabron Sashenstar charts a passage through the Novularond Peaks to Sossal. He also discovers the tower of the long-dead mage Caddelyn. Dabron Sashenstar charts a passage through the Novularond Peaks to Sossal. He also discovers the tower of the long-dead mage Caddelyn and returns to Baldur's Gate with the Hauberk of Sossal.

If you can track down wherever the Elven Netbook (AKA Elves of Faerûn) is hiding these days, I mention Mr. Sashenstar's exploits in my Mythical Snow Elves piece, which I've been told is one of my best.

I also mention Wulfgar and Prince Amluiral, so it's a fun little story.

Non-canonical, and very little to do with Sossal, but it's still a tie-in to what little Sossal lore we have.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2008 07:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  17:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Isn't there a little Sossrim-related lore found in book three of the Year of Rogue Dragons series?

Yes--specifically, The Ruin.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Oct 2008 17:44:02
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  21:15:07  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Arravis

If you can track down wherever the Elven Netbook (AKA Elves of Faerûn) is hiding these days, I mention Mr. Sashenstar's exploits in my Mythical Snow Elves piece, which I've been told is one of my best.

I also mention Wulfgar and Prince Amluiral, so it's a fun little story.

Non-canonical, and very little to do with Sossal, but it's still a tie-in to what little Sossal lore we have.

Is the Elven Netbook available anywhere as a single-file download? Although I suppose that if it were, it would defeat the purpose of it being a netbook, wouldn't it?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  05:00:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be eventually.

When Lord Karsus (Dagnirion) began it awhile back, he had a lot of help writing, but slowly all that help 'dried-up', and now he is stuck finishing the articles himself, and compiling them all into a decent pdf.

I, myself, am one of those 'guilty parties'.

You just reminded me... I have something I'm working on for my Hordelands project that can probably also be used in HIS Netbook....

I just need to finish Frostfell first (There's some Sossal lore in there, as well

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2008 05:01:29
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  22:43:29  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a little late to the scroll but Sossal info coming up:

VI. SOSSAL
A. Locales/Cities
1. The Ice Kingdom of Dareth [vanished dwarven realm] (FR11 p54-55) (DD p116)
a. Mountains of Dareth (FR11 p54-55) (DD p116)
b. Hoarfaern [white dragon realm w/ bestial servants] (DD p116) (FR11 p54-55) (RoF p34)
c. Mt. Sundabar (FR11 p55)
d. The Aerie of the Snow Eagles [on Mt Sundabar] (DD p116) (RoF p31) (PGtF p21) (DotR p35)
e. Dareth citadel [ruins] (FR11 p55)
f. Heroes’ Height (FR11 p55)
2. Naupau [trade city on Great Ice Sea] (Horde vol.1 p15, vol.2 p88)
a. Sossarhim [name given to humans who live here] (Horde vol.2 p88)
b. Empire of Raumathar extended here (Horde vol.1 p19) (Horde Ancient Empire map) (RoF p99)
3. Sundice (FR11 p64)
4. Hoarbridge (FR11 p54)
5. Ushar Mountains (GG map)
6. Ironspring Grove (Ruin p2)
a. Sacred druid grove in Western Sossal (Ruin p2)
B. Factions/NPCs
1. Winged Father Aquilan Greatspan, [avariel] (DD p116)
2. Men of the Red Kestrel [adventuring band] (FR11 p64)
3. Eldaerim [sponsors adventurers] (FR11 p64)
4. Anothaer [mage] (FR11 p64)
a. Maintains a magical sending service to communicate with other mages across Faerun (FR11 p64)
5. Dabron Sashenstar [fighter 9] (GTotR p118)
a. Explorer and trader, believed lost to an attack by Tuigan raiders (GTotR p118)
6. Stival Chergoba [ranger of Mielekki] (Ruin p1-11, 154,196-199,248-254)
a. White dragon hunter (Ruin p1)
b. Wears bearskin cloak, has gray eyes, armor made of white dragon scales (Ruin p1)
7. Madislak Pemsk [high druid of Mielekki] [deceased] (Ruin p1, 9-11,244)
a. Leader of coven of 13 druids, stooped old man, blotchy skin, bald, ratty brown robe (Ruin p9-11)
b. Killed by Zethrindor, a white dracolich (Ruin)
8. Natali Dormetsk [female archer] (Ruin p154,222,248-254)
a. Owl wildshape ability (Ruin p154,222)
b. Stress in battle sometimes makes features of her wildshape appear (Ruin p222)
9. Gant [warrior] (Ruin p232-233)
C. Geography/Climate
1. Mountains of Dareth (DD p116) (FR11 p54-55)
a. Divide the Great Glacier from the Great Ice Sea (FR11 p54)
b. Hoarfaern in northern part of range (FR11 p55)
c. Also called the Peaks of Cold Death to humans because of white dragons (FR11 p55)
2. Mt. Sundabar [in Dareth range] (FR11 p55)
a. Named after dwarven city from where the dwarven rescuers originated (FR11 p55)
b. Dareth citadel [ruins] (FR11 p55)
c. Aerie of the Snow Eagles (DD p116) (RoF p31 has in Icerim Mountains) (DotR p35)
d. Miniature jungle environment inside with a tropical clime (RoF p31-34) (DD p116)
3. Heroes’ Height (FR11 p55)
4. Armridge (FR11 p55)
5. Icerim Mountains (PGtF p28) (UE p17-18,130,189)
6. Rumored ‘warm’ lands surrounded by volcanoes can be found far north of the Icerim Mountains (UE p189)
7. Great Ice Sea forms eastern border (UE p189) (Horde) (FRA p7)
a. Sossar Bay (GHotR p116) (FRA p7)
8. Northern Lights (Ruin p1)
a. Green and purple lights seen in northern skies (Ruin p1)
9. Either shamans/druids or some other magic keep the land free of ice (GTotR p118)
D. Politics/Laws
1. White Dragons seek to destroy any threats to their realm (RoF p34)
a. Employ magical items of great force and unknown elder origin (FR11 p55)
b. Fought against dwarves in the past, humans and avariels now (FR11 p55) (DD p116) (RoF p34)
c. Sheared off the peak of Mt. Sundabar where the Dareth clan of dwarves had a citadel (FR11 p55) (DD p116)
d. Also fought a great battle with the dwarves at Heroes’ Height (FR11 p55)
2. Avariels have sent diplomats into surrounding human nations (RoF p34) (DotR p35)
3. Sossrim have good relations with Rashemen (RoF p101)
4. To Sossrim, all dragons are bad (Ruin p156-157,161)
E. Economics/Trade
1. Sossal maintains trading outposts on the Great Ice Sea (Horde vol.1 p61, vol.2 p88)
2. Naupau maintains a sizable fleet on the Great Ice Sea (Horde vol.2 p88)
a. Naupau located on Sossar Bay (FRA p7)
3. Sossal trade ships have been seen in Calimshan, their captains are suspected to know secret shipping lanes through the ice of the Great Ice Sea (Horde vol.2 p88) (FRCS p231)
4. Naupau merchants buy tin from Herlinga dwarves (Horde vol.1 54)
5. Exports: Furs, seal meat, gold, fine wooden furniture (FRCS p111)
6. Imports: Weapons, silver, meats (FRCS p111)
7. Trade takes place in foreign lands, mostly in Damara
8. Sossar furniture brings premium prices (FRCS p111)
9. Mountains of Dareth hold rich veins of metal-bearing ores (FR11 p 54)
10. Humans and Dareth dwarves traded at Hoarbridge (FR11 p54)
11. Humans hunt and cut lumber (FR11 p55)
12. Avariel glassblowing is renowned (RoF p34)
13. Sossrim traders rarely seen elsewhere in Faerun other than Vaasa, and northern reaches of Damara, Narfell, and Rashemi (RoF p108)
14. Crowberry Wine (Ruin p154)
15. Trade is somewhat stagnant due to the ever present threat of a Tuigan raid on trade caravans (GTotR p118)
F. Demographics
1. Avariels (DD p114-118) (Dragon #233 p15-22) (RoF p31-34) (PGtF p23) (DotR p35-36)
a. +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom (RoF p32)
b. Level adjustment +3 (RoF p32)
c. Favor transmutation and conjuration magic (RoF p33)
d. Experimenting with Divination magics to find lost or well-hidden Avariels (RoF p33)
e. Invented Wings of Flying and possibly Winged Boots (RoF p33)
f. Use glass where other races use metal, stone, and wood – have mastered glassteel (RoF p34) (DotR p35-36)
g. Ranged weaponry is preferred and mithril armor (RoF p34) usually wear no armor (DotR p35) weapons made from glass or obsidian (DotR p35)
h. Keep arrowhawks, griffons, and hippogriffs as guards of Aerie (RoF p34)
i. Languages: Common, Elven, Auran, Damaran, Draconic, Giant, Rashemi, Tuigan, Sylvan (RoF p34) (PGtF p23)
j. Feats: Artist, Education, Mind Over Body, Rapid Flight, Strong Soul, (RoF p34) Fearless (PGtF p23) Skills and proficiencies (DotR p35)
k. Creation of Glassteel (CoV p65)
l. Average 5’9” tall with 12’ to 18’ wingspans (DotR p35)
m. Wing colors - white, gray, maroon, black, speckled; Skin and eye colors are much the same as moon or gold elves; Majority have white or black hair (DotR p35)
n. In addition to normal elven abilities, avariel also have eyesight 100 times better than normal (DotR p35-36)
o. Hunted by Red Wizards of Thay and by giants for their wings (DotR p36)
2. White Dragons (DD p116) (FR11 p54-55) (UE p130,189) (Ruin p1)
3. Elves (Horde vol.2 p93-94)
4. Shield Dwarves [red-bearded] (Horde vol.1 p54) (UE p8)
a. Dwarven lorefinders (DotR p52-53) search for lost halls of Dareth
5. Arctic Dwarves (RoF p9-11)
a. Along the shore of the Great Ice Sea (RoF p9)
6. Humans: ethnic breakdown: Sossrim 93%, Nar 5%, Ulutian 2% (RoF p111) (GTotR p117-118) (Ruin p2)
a. Sossrim have natural druidic powers (FRCS p111) many can wildshape and do so to scout enemies (Ruin p105-106,154) very adept at camouflage in snow environment (GTotR p117)
b. Sculpt wooden furniture with their minds (FRCS p111)
c. Snow white skin, silver white hair (WaR p55) (GTotR p117) ice blue eyes, moon-blonde hair (WaP p 41,42) (RoF p108) (GTotR p117) (Ruin p2,160)
d. Wear polar bear furs with intact head as a headcover (WaR p55) (Ruin p1) dress in all white clothing (GTotR p117) (Ruin p160) some wear white dragonscale armor (Ruin p161)
e. Businesslike, direct and to-the-point demeanor (WaR p56)
f. Fanatically hate white dragons, and don’t consider any dragons “good” (WaP p42) (Ruin p156-157,161) been at war with white dragons for as long as anyone can remember (Ruin p2) most attacks ever in 1373 (Ruin p2)
g. Marry and have children at young age (WaP p43)
h. Vulnerable to heat/fire based attacks (WaP p44)
i. Dialect of common called Skaevrym, and speak Damaran (FRCS p85) (RoF p108,111)
j. Use Dethek alphabet (RoF p108,111)
k. Complete adaptation to arctic environment (RoF p108)
j. Height and weight (PGtF p32)
7. Drow are rumored to inhabit the underdark below the Icerim Mountains (UE p8)
G. Flora/Fauna/Monsters
1. Sosser [horse breed] (Horde – loose stat sheet) (CoV p156)
a. Resistant to cold environs (CoV p156)
2. Ghost Rothe (FRCS p314)
3. High Rothe (FRCS p314)
4. Giant Eagles (RoF p34)
a. Allies of Avariel – inhabit same places (RoF p34)
5. Taer (PGtF p28,30) (UE p9,14-15,41, 72-74,130,189)
a. Bands of taer found in Icerim Mountains (PGtF p28) (UE p14-15,41, 72- 74,130,189)
b. Automatic Languages [Icerim taer]: Common,Giant; Bonus: Auran, Damaran, Dwarven, Rashemi, Tuigan (PGtF p30) (UE p41)
c. Regional Feats [Icerim taer]: Battle Jump, Bullheaded, Survivor (PGtF p30) (UE p41,42)
d. Favored class: Barbarian, some druids and rangers (UE p9,41)
e. Attributes: +4 Str, +2 Con, -4 Int, -2 Cha (UE p9)
6. Frost Giants inhabit the Icerim Mountains (UE p48,130,189)
7. Frost worms [Icerim Mountains] (UE p130,189)
8. Encounter tables for the Icerim Mountains (UE p91)
9. Mar-zhugal [demon/troll hybrid] [Icerim] (UE p79,91,116)
10. Ice Trolls [Icerim] (UE p78-79,91)
11. Fell Trolls [Icerim] (UE p77-78,91)
12. Bheur [ice hag] [Icerim] (UE p91)
13. Thomil [Icerim] (UE p91)
14. Blue-leaf Tree (Ruin p3)
H. Dieties/Temples
1. Aerdrie Faenya (DD p114-118) (RoF p31-34) (PGtF p23) (DDaD p10) (Ruin p201)
a. The Aerie of the Snow Eagles (DD p116) (RoF p31)
b. Led for 500 years by Aguilan Greatspan [fighter/cleric/divine disciple/hierophant 4/12/5/1] (DD p116) (RoF p31)
c. Avariel are deeply religious (RoF p33)
d. Sacred animals are tressrym, birds, and swarms (DDaD p10)
e. Sacred monsters are aarakocras, aasimar, air elementals, androsphinxes, avoral celestials, cloud giants, djinn, griffons, hippogriffs, lammasus, lillends, pegasi, pixies, silver dragons, and storm giants (DDaD p10)
f. Sacred gems/precious metals are hornbill ivory, sapphire and turquoise (DDaD p10)
g. Sacred color is sky blue (DDaD p10)
h. Other manifestations are strong winds, rainshowers, and storms (DDaD p10)
2. Auril (RoF p108) (PGtF p30) (DDaD p10)
a. Sossrim worship a benign aspect (RoF p108)
b. Taer (PGtF p30) (UE p14-15)
3. Loviatar (PGtF p30)
a. Taer (PGtF p30) (UE p14-15)
4. Taer also worship deities from the giant pantheon: Grolantor and Thrym (UE p14- 15)
5. Mielekki (Ruin p5,9-11,108)
a. Worshipped by the druids and rangers of Sossal (Ruin p5,9-11)
6. Lathander (Ruin p185)
a. Sossrim honor Lathander (Ruin p185)
I. Classes
1. Wizards (WaR p54-56)
a. Uses nature as energy souce (WaR p56)
b. Shapechangers (WaR p56)
c. Vulnerable to fire/heat damage (WaR p56)
d. Any armor they wear is painted white (WaP p42)
e. Camoflauge themselves by dropping in snow (WaR p54-56) (WaP p43)
2. Fighters (WaP p41-44) can affect weather on a large scale, cursed Sossal with a fierce premature winter preceding the War in 1373 (Ruin p106)
a. Unparalleled in arctic survival and cold-weather combat (WaP p41)
b. Muscular build (WaP p42)
c. Slow to laugh, slow to trust – “As cold as the snow that hides them” (WaP p42)
d. Cold-hearted pragmatists (WaP p42)
e. Bonuses to any roll involving cold or dragons (WaP p43)
f. Have natural “pass without trace” ability (WaP p43)
g. Must slay a white dragon to become a respected warrior (WaP p44)
3. Fighters, rangers, bladesingers, wizards, multi-class clerics and Clerics [avariels] (RoF p31-34)
4. Runecasters [frost giant] (UE p48)
5. Druids (Ruin p1-11,108)
a. Groups of druids called ‘covens’ in Sossal (Ruin p1)
b. Ironspring Grove one location of worship in Western Sossal (Ruin p2)
c. Druidic worship dominates divine classes in Sossal (Ruin p195)
d. Druidic promises: “Swear by the oak and the unicorn’s horn” (Ruin p238) “By the unicorn” (Ruin p248)
6. Clerics (Ruin p195)
a. Rare (Ruin p195)
7. Rogues [Lorefinders, dwarven] (DotR p52-53)
J. Canon Plots/Adventures
1. Auril vs. Aerdrie Faenya (DD p114)
2. Finding ancient Dareth dwarven metalwork artifacts (FR11 p54-55,64) (DotR p52)
3. Discover the reasons that the Ice Kingdom vanished (FR11 p54-55)
a. War with the white dragon realm Hoarfaern (FR11 p54-55) (DD p116)
b. Traded with Sossrim for years then one spring “came no more” (FR11 p54-55)
4. Finding ancient Dareth mines (FR11 p54-55) (DotR p52-53)
5. White dragons at war with Avariels
K. Miscellaneous
1. Marriage is matrilineal (Ed Greenwood post on candlekeep.com)
2. Sossrim is given name of people who reside in Sossal (Poly #74, Greenwood)
3. Sossar is given name of items that are made in Sossal (Poly #74, Greenwood)
4. Great Ice Sea [also called Yal Tengri] (Horde) (UE p189)
a. Forms eastern border of Sossal (Horde)
5. Sossrim perform “mercy killings” on injured and infirmed (WaP p42)
6. Rumors of skyships (Dragon #124 p.18-20)
7. First King of Dareth was Orloebar Snowbeard (FR11 p54)
8. Embryn Shatteredshield - King at the Dareth citadel on Mt Sundabar (FR11 p55)
9. Ice Kingdom of Dareth was founded 4000 years ago, settled by dwarves from Mulhorand and Unther (FR11 p54)
10. Dareth clan – “Sign of the Realm” rune is a row of three mountain peaks with a stone hammer, head to the right, horizontal above them, almost unknown today (FR11 p55)
11. Dareth dwarven metalworks are of exquisite design (FR11 p64)
12. Sossrim mercenaries fought in the armies of Mulhorand during the Orcgate Wars (RoF p108)
13. Briefly fell under Raumathar sway at height of its empire but mainly been isolated and independent (RoF p108)
14. Sossrim fought a war against the Ice Queen and an army of white dragons in 1373 (Ruin p1-11, 105-111, 154-161,192-199,203-210,220-253)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  22:49:37  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry about the loss of indentation above, my outline is indented but when i copy paste it loses it

if any mod has a quick fix feel free to adjust

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  19:37:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent compilation, and I got your mails

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:38:38  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Sossal non-existent in post-Spellplague Faerun? If so, why would it be against NDA for Ed, or whoever "has the know" on what officially was supposed to be Sossal, for them to speak about it now? I doubt WotC will ever make use of it, sort of like how the authors of Tome of Horrors received permission to make that book with monsters WotC most likely would never reproduce.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  01:40:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Is Sossal non-existent in post-Spellplague Faerun? If so, why would it be against NDA for Ed, or whoever "has the know" on what officially was supposed to be Sossal, for them to speak about it now? I doubt WotC will ever make use of it, sort of like how the authors of Tome of Horrors received permission to make that book with monsters WotC most likely would never reproduce.

I'd say Sossal still exists.

From DRAGON #367 "Hall of the Frostmaiden" by Brian James:-
quote:
Some observe that it appears to mirror the terrain and species found in Pelvuria or Sossal—the wintry lands of Auril’s Teeth in northern Faerûn.
This particular section would seem to suggest that Sossal is still existent in the post-Spellplague Realms.

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Apr 2010 01:41:32
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  08:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's not really mentioned in the 4e FRCG, but it's popped up in a couple of places so far. One being the article Sage just mentioned, the other being in Dungeon 177 where a little bit of Pelvuria get's mapped out in the Vaasa article.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  18:37:32  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though Sossal is lumped in the Cold Lands with Damara/Vaasa, it isn't shoehorned in like those two were, i believe it is in Ed's original Faerun

i also seem to remember it being one of those places not given alot of love by published material so it could be the DMs option to use as they deem

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  01:29:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

Even though Sossal is lumped in the Cold Lands with Damara/Vaasa, it isn't shoehorned in like those two were, i believe it is in Ed's original Faerun
That's about the jist of it... yes.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  22:25:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome work on the source compilation, coach; I'm just getting back into exploring the far north again now thanks to the excellent Great Glacier/Sossal map by our scribe HandsomeRob, and I was looking for published (and unpublished) lore on the region.

GK: Did you get that Sossal project you were talking about back on the first page of this scroll finished up? If so, where might we find it?

MT: Same question for you.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000