Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Annoying Players
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  20:49:59  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What do you do with players who disrupt/ruin the game for everyone else? Sure, simply asking them to quit playing is the obvious answer, as long as someone else gets to be the one to do it. Has anyone else encountered this kind of situation, and how did you handle it?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  21:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only encountered this situation once, and as we all travel several miles to play, we just stopped telling the offending player when we were going to play. He wasn't really good friends with any of us. Not a very nice approach, but we really had no other choice. How many times can you put up with a player who, for example, insists on naming every character he plays 'Hot Sauce Willie'?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  22:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are the DM, then you should ask the player to modify his behavior for the better of the entire group, or he will no longer be invited to the game. If one person is making a nuisance of himself and ruining the fun for everyone else, he either needs to change his act or leave.

I had one player a long time ago who always wanted to run an anti-paladin, even when the rest of the party was running neutral and good PC's. I let him do it because I figured the player dynamics would eventually lead to him being killed by the others, but a gynosphinx did it for me. When she blocked the party from passing until they told her a riddle she had not heard, the anti-paladin tried to tell her a variety of dead baby jokes. She was so offended she hit him with a symbol of insanity, and the party decided not to spend the money to get it removed, and the player left in disgust after they took his belongings and split them up among their PC's (hey, he didn't need them any longer...).

I think they left him in the care of a monastary...
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  03:53:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoot them?

A better answer might be kill the character often, infering of course you can not have any type of rational discussion with the player.

It depends more on the situation. Is player a friend of you or other player. Is play in an open gaming location or private home?

The first thing to try, as already indicated, is talk to the player. I used role play to start with. Still not sure how that dragon fit into that tunnel, but it worked for a while. Also did some out of game advising. Finally removed from game as clueless.

You have to use your own judgement as to how to handle the problem,

The quickest way is of course remove from the game, however depending on player interaction you might remove (or at least upset) other players in the game.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  17:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had this experience a few times over the years.

I have pulled an offender into a 'back room conference' one evening and had a short discussion. He didn't appreciate the experience and left the group.

In one situation every character had to have the majority of players say yes before being allowed to be played. Any time someone said no to a character they had to say why and offer an alternative suggestion to the offending item. This actually got the player to adjust to characters that went well with the player/party dynamic. It also made for much more cohesive/complimentary PC's. I strongly suggest this concept.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  05:13:54  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The very first time I played was with a group of six.Who had been gaming before me.We are talking first addition here.It whittled down to three.We ended up adding two more.They were brothers,and cousins to the one who I began gaming with.Man they used to fight more than anyone.Sometimes it would be nothing but arguements about whatever.Intepretation of rules,DM being a hard-ass,One brother would kill off the others favorite character.It went on and on.Now we had great gaming sessions.The majority were outstanding.But we realized that the one brother was the main antagonizer.When he wasn't around,or didn't feel like playing.Everything was smooth.Sessions were great.We talked about it among the four of us,and decided to ask him not to game.I felt bad,but his own brother and cousin didn't.So why in the nine hells should I?Well he saved us the trouble,and decided to go into the military,and he didn't have time for us leading up to that.So that was a relief....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  07:11:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

How many times can you put up with a player who, for example, insists on naming every character he plays 'Hot Sauce Willie'?

Priceless, Melfius, priceless! I needed that.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  07:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

I have pulled an offender into a 'back room conference' one evening and had a short discussion. He didn't appreciate the experience and left the group.

This "Conference" didnt involve a Baseball bat did it?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  08:00:52  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Or maybe a sawed-off shotgun?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  16:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

no, no baseball bat. I just explained how certain actions were upsetting the players and worse the GM. I asked if he could moderate his behavior. His response was impolite and consisted of reasons to act like an irritating oaf. When I explained that it wasn't enough to have an excuse, he still needed to change, he decided he didn't need to play where he wasn't appreciated.
Oh, the cheers from the rest of the players and the free beer for the rest of the month...mmmmm.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  16:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

How many times can you put up with a player who, for example, insists on naming every character he plays 'Hot Sauce Willie'?

-- George Krashos

I'm not joking!

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  18:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

What is it about the name Willie? Although not quite as ridiculous as "Hot Sauce Willie" one guy I played with always played a halfling rogue named Willie Pickles. Each time Willie died, the guy would start playing Willie's cousin, Willie Pickles 2, Willie Pickles 3, Willie Pickles 4, and so on. Each of these "Cousins" just happened to have the same equipment, skills, feats, etc as the previous Willie. I would have nipped that in the bud, but for some reason the DM at the time kept letting him do it!

I'm not joking!

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  20:45:05  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Willie Pickles is a great halfling name. Hot Sauce Willie is not a good name for any PC.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  05:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Willie Pickles is a great halfling name. Hot Sauce Willie is not a good name for any PC.

True! It was when he got to Willie Pickles 2-4 that it became annoying.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  18:57:16  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another way is to have a critical failures affect that player. They will eventualy get the idea.

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  20:04:44  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just stopped the game and explained to the person that their antics/shannanigans are disrupting the play and to please try to make it a fun experience to all. The next time they started to be annoying/disruptive, I just killed their character and told them not to bother making another.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  13:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My idea is to let them die off in an inconspicuous way.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  14:13:51  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can always use the old "you are sleeping and someone kills you, goodbye" system...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  17:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xysma, I think it depends on how exactly they ruin/disrupt the game. If they just goof around with their characters, I think they might end up annoying powerful NPCs or authorities in my campaign ;)

But if they argue about rules, distract other players or like to talk "off-character", then I probably would probably throw them out - I have little patience for players who don't want to seriously participate in something that I've spent hours and hours writing.

Any character named "Hot Sauce Willie" would be instantly slain by other PCs in my gaming group

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  02:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DM's lightning is always fun as a threat. But seriously, when a player is annoying another player, stay in character. Encourage the annoyed player to have his/her character attack the other character with an unarmed attack. Sure, it doesn't do much damage, but when the antagonizer starts laughing over getting punched, and the DM comes in with a "That's 4 subdual damage," it really shuts them up. And the look on their faces as they reach for the eraser is priceless.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  03:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hot Sauce Willie....

Sounds like a great name for an NPC, maybe a cook or bartender, or possibly that unwashed, hulking brute of a fighter that keeps giving the PCs a difficult time....

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  03:35:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

Hot Sauce Willie....

Sounds like a great name for an NPC, maybe a cook or bartender, or possibly that unwashed, hulking brute of a fighter that keeps giving the PCs a difficult time....

Mkhaiwati

I was thinking it was more sutiable for a male Cleric of Sharess

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  16:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another thing to get rid of bad RPG'ers, that requires a bit more work from the DM is putting the annoying PC into a situation he needs assistance of the others, but can't tell them. If he's not good in role playing he will surely die in the cause.

One example I had one time, was kidnapping somebody, who was dear to the PC and then the villain put an imp onto his shoulders. As soon as the imp dies the person dear to the PC will die too. Then give the PC the order to keep the party from spoiling the plans of the villain. If he still starts fooling around he will very quickly be stung by the invisible imp, be killed otherwise etc.

(of course assuming, that nobody of the PC has true seeing!)

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  12:45:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the first thing is to realize that they are being disruptive, uncooperative people, and the fact that they do it through RPG is not irrelevant, but neither is it primary.

In theory, it's possible to change people's behaviour by in-game actions, but it's extremely difficult and I've never once heard of it being successfully done. 'Talk with the player' is really 90% of the good advice that can be given in these cases without knowing the situation intimately.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  15:00:41  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree - if a good talk doesn't produce the results that you are seeking, it would probably be better to go your separate ways rather than continue on with a game quickly become not all that fun.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000