Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Serving the imposters...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  03:18:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Well I can see that for Eberron since this is how it is in the PHB but FR has always been divine spells must come from a deity and not a cause or the like. :)

Isn't part of the appeal of Eberron and FR that they do have differences? I'm lost as to why this decision was made.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  03:28:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Well I can see that for Eberron since this is how it is in the PHB but FR has always been divine spells must come from a deity and not a cause or the like. :)

Isn't part of the appeal of Eberron and FR that they do have differences? I'm lost as to why this decision was made.

It is to me. Now it seems that FR is becoming Greyhawk or Eberron lite. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  21:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused here, I thought rangers and druids had always gotten their magic from nature, and clerics and paladins from their gods.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  21:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I'm confused here, I thought rangers and druids had always gotten their magic from nature, and clerics and paladins from their gods.

No... even rangers and druids had to pick nature deities to pray to. In 2e Faiths & Avatars it was said that all Mielikki´s specialty priests were rangers, and Silvanus´ priests were druids.
In the 3e FRCS there is even a list of nature deities which can have druid & ranger followers.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  21:41:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goodness gracious me . . . things like this hork me off. I have never liked the whole not needing a deity for divine magic thing, becuase it seems too much like divine magic is just another form of wizardry . . .er . . . sorcery . .. er . . . you know what I mean.

If we go this route why not just make things like in the old Lahnkmar books where "arcane" magic was black magic and "divine" magic was white magic, and forget about tradition entirely . . .

***sigh***
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  15:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Goodness gracious me . . . things like this hork me off. I have never liked the whole not needing a deity for divine magic thing, becuase it seems too much like divine magic is just another form of wizardry . . .er . . . sorcery . .. er . . . you know what I mean.

If we go this route why not just make things like in the old Lahnkmar books where "arcane" magic was black magic and "divine" magic was white magic, and forget about tradition entirely . . .

***sigh***

I agree that you must serve a deity to use divine magic if you are a cleric or paladin, but I think druids should get their powers directly from nature. That's the whole point of a being a druid, otherwise they're just clerics with different abilities.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  15:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

***sigh***

The only cause/reason I would accept for someone not needing a deity for divine magic is through various Cults... and ONLY for NPCs (such as a zealous adept/high priest of a Beast Cult). And I wouldn´t allow it frequently, only when related to obscure and rare Cults, perhaps?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  17:39:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

***sigh***

I agree that you must serve a deity to use divine magic if you are a cleric or paladin, but I think druids should get their powers directly from nature. That's the whole point of a being a druid, otherwise they're just clerics with different abilities.

Personally, I hate the idea of drawing power from nature... Worshipping concepts instead of deities just doesn't make sense to me.

And the point of being a druid is to serve nature. So how is serving a nature deity so different?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  02:37:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Personally, I hate the idea of drawing power from nature... Worshipping concepts instead of deities just doesn't make sense to me.
I don't have any problem with the concept of a druid drawing power from nature itself as such, but I don't think it belongs in the Realms since all magical energy is derived from the deities.

quote:
And the point of being a druid is to serve nature. So how is serving a nature deity so different?
Perhaps druids wish to concentrate on worshipping the basic and primal aspect of nature itself. A nature deity is almost always going to do what is best for that deity before what is best for nature. So while they are the "nature god" for a particular world, they still have their own interests and agendas that might colour or influence their decisions on occasion.

Druids might see this as completely inappropriate and decide to serve nature itself which holds no bias and no particular inner self-interest. Nature, simply is...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000