Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Earth and Fearun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etude
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  21:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Etude's Homepage Send Etude a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Newbie here (to this board that is).

Quick question (something that's bothered me for a while): In one of the two Deities books, they mention something about the opening of portals from another world in some prior point in Toril's history where a migration of peoples took place. The reference is sort of vague but they give short descriptions about the civilizations from that world. They sounded a lot like Ancient Rome, Greece, Egypt, and the Celts. I wish I could give a more detailed quotation but my brother has discarded these resources so I can't any more specifics.

If I remember correctly again, the second Deities book also talks about the "Egyptian" portion of the Forgotten Realms and about their Gods and how they where shut out from their home world or something like that...

I apologize again for the vagueness but that's all I have left memory wise.

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2003 :  20:30:49  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They aren't necessarily from Earth, certain pantheons are based on real world mythologies (or theologies, the Indian Pantheon is based on Hindu gods-all the religions in DnD seem structured after aspects of Hinduism, actually). The origion of the Mulhorandi's and others is left open, so they can be from Earth if you want.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2003 :  20:50:27  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I profit of this topic to ask everyone if there is a link between Mystara an FR. I heard about an obscur link but i'm not sure
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2003 :  04:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

They aren't necessarily from Earth, certain pantheons are based on real world mythologies (or theologies, the Indian Pantheon is based on Hindu gods-all the religions in DnD seem structured after aspects of Hinduism, actually). The origion of the Mulhorandi's and others is left open, so they can be from Earth if you want.

Not every religion is based on Hinduism. Look at Set and Osiris. They seem to have both been copied directly from the Egyptian gods.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2003 :  15:35:03  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was referring primarily to the manner in which petitioners "merge" with their patron deties (a shortcut in the process of reincarnation in Hindu theology). In real world Egyptian mythology, I don't think there is any parallel to that. I'm not trying to pretend I'm an expert in comparative religion or anything, my knowledge in these matters is a mile wide but only an inch deep. I just think its an interesting comparision.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  05:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was referring primarily to the manner in which petitioners "merge" with their patron deties (a shortcut in the process of reincarnation in Hindu theology). In real world Egyptian mythology, I don't think there is any parallel to that. I'm not trying to pretend I'm an expert in comparative religion or anything, my knowledge in these matters is a mile wide but only an inch deep. I just think its an interesting comparision.

Ok, I see what you meant. (Sorry for the short post.)
Go to Top of Page

Etude
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  02:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Etude's Homepage Send Etude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, I kind of forgot about this post and this board and was just recently reminded by something or other so I'm back.

My concerns weren’t with the actual Gods and Goddess of the Realms but of the origins of some of it's people (I should have made that clearer). But to repeat, the world that was partially quoted from this book does sound way to much like Earth to be ignored or to be delegated to some kind of relativity based status. I do ask that someone check these two books and quote the passage that I'm referring to if possible. I just double checked that we no longer have these books and was right so I can't do that from this end.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  04:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone besides me noticed that just about every deity in the Mulhorandi Pantheon is based on the Egyptian gods? They seem to have been directly copied. I'm just pointing out something interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  09:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy465
Has anyone besides me noticed that just about every deity in the Mulhorandi Pantheon is based on the Egyptian gods? They seem to have been directly copied. I'm just pointing out something interesting.

I sure have and its one of the things I really dislike about the FR setting.... the blatant use of earth religion and cultures. I know that typical fantasy is based on mediaeval and dark age history of the earth, but I think the use of Egyptian\Aztec (Maztica) and such are going a little too far. Kara-Tur, Zakhara and the Hordelands are other blatant copies.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  09:46:40  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree up to a point. When I first found out about these copies I was disappointed as well.. However over time things have changed and the Mulhorandi Pantheon only superficially mimics the Egyptian pantheon. There is now too much Realms history to give the pantheon and Mulhorandi culture their own flavor.

I would expect similar evolution in the Hordelands and Kara-Tur (looking forward to the Unapproachable East supplement), though not well developed regions to date, there is enough Realms input to move these regions away from their Earth counterparts.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  20:26:50  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have you reflected about the location of continents and countries. They are aloms a copy of earth. They could at least have spread them out a little bit.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  17:13:44  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Etude,

Here are some sources...just shy of sixteen years later, haha.

"Concordance of Arcane Space”. Spelljammer: AD&D Adventures in Space (TSR, Inc.), p. 42.
Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), pp. 2, 94
The Grand History of the Realms. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 142
“"I Sing a Song by the Deep-Water Bay"”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #211 (TSR, Inc.), p. 29.
The Bloodstone Lands. (TSR, Inc), p. 43
Elves of Evermeet. (TSR, Inc), pp. 77–83
Questions for Ed Greenwood (2016). Candlekeep Forum
The Throne of Bloodstone. (TSR, Inc), p. 30
Realmspace. (TSR, Inc), p. 52

I hope that helps, as I have a sneaking suspicion, as with "The Phoenix" of Calimshan, you were hanging on for the last sixteen years, awaiting that one email on this subject. haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Etude

Newbie here (to this board that is).

Quick question (something that's bothered me for a while): In one of the two Deities books, they mention something about the opening of portals from another world in some prior point in Toril's history where a migration of peoples took place. The reference is sort of vague but they give short descriptions about the civilizations from that world. They sounded a lot like Ancient Rome, Greece, Egypt, and the Celts. I wish I could give a more detailed quotation but my brother has discarded these resources so I can't any more specifics.

If I remember correctly again, the second Deities book also talks about the "Egyptian" portion of the Forgotten Realms and about their Gods and how they where shut out from their home world or something like that...

I apologize again for the vagueness but that's all I have left memory wise.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  17:45:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure Etude will see your comment, cpthero2. Looking at the membership list, he's not visited us since his comments in this discussion.

It's not uncommon, when resurrecting older threads like this, to find that a lot of members have moved on since the discussion lapsed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  19:45:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon Master Rupert,

My apologies if I've erred in responding to the thread. I figured, even if some had moved on, that I would reactivate the thread for some potentially interesting dialogue.

Would you like me to abstain from a particular age of posts and older?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not sure Etude will see your comment, cpthero2. Looking at the membership list, he's not visited us since his comments in this discussion.

It's not uncommon, when resurrecting older threads like this, to find that a lot of members have moved on since the discussion lapsed.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  20:39:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing wrong with responding to older threads; it's just that in a lot of cases, people have moved on... And if a discussion isn't current, there likely isn't a need for the information, any more -- or the same topic has been addressed more recently.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Sep 2018 20:40:07
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  05:07:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Sounds good. I appreciate your vigilance regarding the site: it's what keeps this treasure trove going, and going well.

Is the notion of reinvigorating these topics in the hopes of generating interest in older items of discussion for newers/younger 5e folk an approach that is ok with the etiquette of the site? I don't want to ruffle any feathers, and at the same time, I'd love to start these older conversations back up again a bit to hopefully get some of that younger audience tuning in.

Best regards as always!

quote:

There's nothing wrong with responding to older threads; it's just that in a lot of cases, people have moved on... And if a discussion isn't current, there likely isn't a need for the information, any more -- or the same topic has been addressed more recently.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  03:18:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't prohibit dragging up older discussions... But if a topic hasn't been addressed in more than 10 years, there's likely a reason for that.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  04:39:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I appreciate that. I truly do. I am really finding these discussions great, especially since I've had a lot of responses, and great ones at that...many of which of course include your masterful self as a loremaster.

Best regards,

quote:

We don't prohibit dragging up older discussions... But if a topic hasn't been addressed in more than 10 years, there's likely a reason for that.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000