Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Citadel of the Planes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Have any scribes used the Citadel of the Planes in an FR campaign? (As seen on page 120 of the Stronghold Builders guide Book)

Did you use the new 3.5 FR cosmology and if so what did you FR home planes did you assign to the citadels planar regions?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  03:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im shocked!

No Scribes have used it! I would have thought that Sage at the very least would have used it at some point

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  04:11:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we all just prefer Sigil. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  04:16:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No Scribes have used it! I would have thought that Sage at the very least would have used it at some point
Well, that's true, I probably would have given the "right" type of campaign.

But then, I never bothered to pick up the Stronghold Builders Guidebook to begin with . It just didn't appeal to me. I've devised my own methods of building castles and forts and the like, and they've always worked in the past, so... why bother purchasing a sourcebook on the topic? And besides, the 2e Castle Guide has provided basic details on the rare occasions that I've needed them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  04:17:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Too true, Kuje .

I've never bothered with Union all that much either .

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  04:51:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Too true, Kuje .

I've never bothered with Union all that much either .

Ditto. It's either Sigil or nothing. Screw this Union garbage. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  06:22:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, is there anything about the Citadel in particular that seems like it would make an interesting fit into the Realms cosmology?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  06:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Dargoth, is there anything about the Citadel in particular that seems like it would make an interesting fit into the Realms cosmology?

The Citadel uses the Great Wheel cosmology, the Citadel is an extradimensional building with rooms on different planes.

One of place I had thought to use it was in Athalantar in Amn as substitute for the TARDIS like Planar Sphere that appeared in BG2

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  07:07:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The Citadel uses the Great Wheel cosmology, the Citadel is an extradimensional building with rooms on different planes.
Does it use astral connections to these other rooms?

quote:
One of place I had thought to use it was in Athalantar in Amn as substitute for the TARDIS like Planar Sphere that appeared in BG2

I think you mean Athkatla, the capital of Amn .

Athalantar was the Stag Kingdom of the North, and Elminster's birthplace .

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  05:15:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Does it use astral connections to these other rooms?"

I think it uses Portals or gates

"I think you mean Athkatla, the capital of Amn .

Athalantar was the Stag Kingdom of the North, and Elminster's birthplace ."

Doh! Yeah Athkatla

The Realms has to many long words for kingdom or city names that start with A!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thaingrim
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  14:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Thaingrim's Homepage Send Thaingrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
errr, i'm gonna sound noobish here but hey , what the heck..... i know what union is , but what's sigil ?? and where's the material ??

thx
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  15:50:48  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven`t the faintest idea what Union is.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  15:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, fellow scribe.

As the Sage can fondly explain you, Sigil is the main ground of the Planescape Campaign Setting, one of the "best of" idea of the old TSR: A scenario of game that is a city (that famous Sigil) that connects with all the planes, demi-planes, and whatever. Sigil is a city that floats in the top of an incredible high mountain, that stays in the middle of the Outlands (neutral planes), that form the "center" of the ring that is the "Great Wheel". With the PScape CS, all that devious DMs can pop up with all his crazy ideas about planar campaigns to his players, and it is, for me, in a good and hard fight to be my second most loved scenario of roleplaying game...

Yuri Peixoto, thinking that he don´t need to explain to her fellow scribes how is his first most loved scenario of rpg...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Khorne, Union is the planar metropolis created to acomodate epic campaigns. It is (very bad) detailed in Epic Level Handbook, but trust in my words, my friend: Union is just a little juice, compared with the "great tankard of jhuild" (Rashemi beverage) that is Sigil...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  17:52:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

No problem, fellow scribe.

As the Sage can fondly explain you, Sigil is the main ground of the Planescape Campaign Setting, one of the "best of" idea of the old TSR: A scenario of game that is a city (that famous Sigil) that connects with all the planes, demi-planes, and whatever. Sigil is a city that floats in the top of an incredible high mountain, that stays in the middle of the Outlands (neutral planes), that form the "center" of the ring that is the "Great Wheel". With the PScape CS, all that devious DMs can pop up with all his crazy ideas about planar campaigns to his players, and it is, for me, in a good and hard fight to be my second most loved scenario of roleplaying game...

Yuri Peixoto, thinking that he don´t need to explain to her fellow scribes how is his first most loved scenario of rpg...

Not incredible high, more like infinite spire. :) Going up the spire of the Outlands also nullifies magic and when you get to the top all magic and psionics are nullified even for deities.

Sigil is also "ruled over" by the Lady of Pain. We don't know what the Lady is but just don't worship her or she'll flay the skin off your flesh or maze you in your very own maze in the Ethereal. Her Dabus also rebuild and change Sigil and if they want to tear down a building that is lived in you leave without complaint. Don't try to attack the dabus or they will kill you or the Lady will. The Lady also controls every gate/portal out of Sigil and if she want's them all to close and the beings in her city to die, she can do so. She once killed the old deity of portals because one her dabus turned to worshipping him and that deity was gaining to much power in Sigil. Lastly no deity can enter Sigil by the will of the Lady. (This is why WOTC screwed up proxies in 3/3.5e because they have a divine rank and thus by the rules they should not be able to enter Sigil.)

Sigil was also run by factions that were philosophical was of seeing the planes and deities and other parts of life but some of them were kicked out or disbanded, etc, during the Faction War module.

And hey! The Sage isn't the only planar loremaster here. :)

For more info on Sigil see:
2600, Planescape (Box Set)
2609, In The Cage: A Guide to Sigil
2611, The Factol’s Manifesto
2624, Uncaged: Faces of Sigil
2629, Faction War
3.5e's Planar Handbook.

Edited by - Kuje on 20 May 2005 17:53:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  18:22:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, the factions were one thing that always bugged me, when I made my brief venture into Planescape. I didn't like most of them, because they seemed too limited. And yet, the book said you had to choose a faction...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  18:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, frienk Kuje!!!!

We have many "bloods" in the "darks" of Sigil and the Great Wheel here. And I´m humbly one of them

And thank´s for the correction. I´m at work now, and my Planescape material is at home, mingled with my FR material, my Alternity books, and the very nice Ghostwalk...

And is a great pity that the Wizards thad dwell on the Coast don´t like of planar voyages and adventures like us. I want to see more Sigil stuff coming from the feverish minds of their creators...

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  19:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed playing several games, incudingwhen I was just another clueless berk prime and had no idea of how I even got to Sigil.

I think Union is a poor man's Sigil, and personally I prefer not to use it directly. I love the flavor and ambiance of Sigil much more. I'm a true grit kind of player and GM. I like the reality of getting mud on your clothes, and choking on the ever present smog.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  20:27:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You know, the factions were one thing that always bugged me, when I made my brief venture into Planescape. I didn't like most of them, because they seemed too limited. And yet, the book said you had to choose a faction...

Actually you didn't HAVE TO chose a faction. :) It was just recommended.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  02:34:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

As the Sage can fondly explain you...
Or Kuje for that matter ...

quote:
Not incredible high, more like infinite spire. :) Going up the spire of the Outlands also nullifies magic and when you get to the top all magic and psionics are nullified even for deities.
That's if it actually *has* a top. An infinitely tall spire cannot essentially have a *top*, at least in the Material Plane sense of the word.

quote:
Her Dabus also rebuild and change Sigil and if they want to tear down a building that is lived in you leave without complaint. Don't try to attack the dabus or they will kill you or the Lady will.
They also hover just above the ground, rather than walking upon it. The dabus do not speak and communicate via pictographical representation, or as they are more commonly know, rebus.

quote:
She once killed the old deity of portals because one her dabus turned to worshipping him and that deity was gaining to much power in Sigil.
Oh, poor Fell ...

quote:
Lastly no deity can enter Sigil by the will of the Lady. (This is why WOTC screwed up proxies in 3/3.5e because they have a divine rank and thus by the rules they should not be able to enter Sigil.)
I've never allowed this, regardless of what the official material now says. Sigil is PS first, and D&D second. And in that interpretation, the older material takes precedence, mostly.

quote:
Sigil was also run by factions that were philosophical was of seeing the planes and deities and other parts of life but some of them were kicked out or disbanded, etc, during the Faction War module.
Faction War was also the last official product published for the setting.

quote:
And hey! The Sage isn't the only planar loremaster here. :)
No, we also have the remarkable Gray Richardson .

quote:
For more info on Sigil see:
2600, Planescape (Box Set)
2609, In The Cage: A Guide to Sigil
2611, The Factol’s Manifesto
2624, Uncaged: Faces of Sigil
2629, Faction War
3.5e's Planar Handbook.
And the planewalker.com website.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually you didn't HAVE TO chose a faction. :) It was just recommended.
True, but then life in the Cage was always more exciting when you were part of a Faction.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  13:02:34  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Union is a mere shadow of Sigil.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  15:17:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't even think that comes close enough... .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000