Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Class!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  04:16:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. Sadly, I have just moved back with my family, albeit temporarity, and have spent the last two months or so under the proverbial rock in terms of seeing any movies, due to not having power at previous home. (For some reason, the power company expects you to pay them.... Kinda hard without a job, but candles work great, I've discovered. And you'd be surprised what you can get from a grocery store that doesn't require cooking or refridgerating...) I guess I'll have to check out that movie- sounds right up my alley! (That tends to be a rather crowded place, since people keep piling all those bards' bodies in it... Darn music haters.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  06:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's old . Just not well-advertised at all. It took word of mouth for me to even hear of it a few years ago. There are multiple movies with similar names---look for the 2002 one (summary here) written/directed by Matt Vancil.

A ballista will punch right through your bards, Ashe. When you're not looking.

What is that, a ranger ability? Hide in Plain Bard? Maybe you should just get barding for your animal companion and call it good.

I'm going to stop now....

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Edited by - Laerrigan on 06 Apr 2010 06:25:01
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  07:51:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROFLMFAO!!! You know, I found a spell in Nymphology that was called "Bardic Hiding". It lets you hide darn near anywhere- even under a lampshade!! So long as you "attempt" to hide, it gives you a huge bonus to your hide check. So... he could just hide under the sheets on the bed. Or, since it was my alley, behind a trash can.

BTW, I had heard of the movie, now that you mention it, but I've not had a chance to see it.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  09:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't that also called "Viking Hiding," with an extra bonus if you're on Hy Brasil?

And so this isn't OT, I do love classes that are good at stealth . There's something lovely about efficiency and having it while remaining unnoticed. And getting away intact.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Edited by - Laerrigan on 06 Apr 2010 09:03:41
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  12:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bards are effective scouts if they work alone. If someone notices them, they can sing to cloud his mind or cast sleep. Useful.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  03:38:50  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:) Cute, Laer... Nope, just Bardic Hiding. The book had a rather amusing origin for the spell- apperantly it was created by a bard who had a habit of sleeping with ladies he shouldn't. He made it to escape from the notice of irate husbands. Go figure... And yeah, stealth is always a good thing. Let's see... which would I rather play- the big dumb barbarian who is so noisy he wakes up the dragon long before he reaches it? Or the sneaky rogue who can slip in and backstab it and kill it before it ever knows he's there? Hmm.... Decisions, dcisions.... Bravo, Sill. You win a cookie for clever use of class powers!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  08:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Yummy! Too bad that bards can't backstab, unless they have some special classes. But trapping the lair of sleeping dragon is also a good option. He wakes and BANG!

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2010 :  19:56:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted for wizard. all my fave characters are wizards, be it FR or not. so why choose something else?!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  03:13:57  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like fighters, sorcerers, and rogues (I still think of them as thieves) the best. If I had to pick one, I'd go for the fighter.

I would have to agree with this except that sorcerers is replaced with Ranger.
I see the Rougue as a theif and thats generally what my guy does, steals things

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  03:17:53  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However in saying that my best character has been a Rogue/Cleric of Loki. Strange combination but its amazing how well it worked.

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  16:34:08  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bards for me, the original one-man band (pun intended ).

Edited by - Doc Filth on 21 Apr 2010 16:35:18
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  20:39:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL!!! Amen! Mine sings, dances, and plays six different instruments! (Though not all at once- unless he animates them...)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  16:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go with paladin, but only if the class is played properly. On this same note, I found this to be of real use and sent it to all of my players regarding alignment, since many people seem to have problems with this issue.

Lawful Stupid

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  10:34:11  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice script. But note that thanks to such players we have iconic heroes like Jenkins, though I feel that such characters are closer to chaos than law. I mean, they are acting on impulse, so you could call them chaotic.(Like Minsc)

Edited by - Sill Alias on 25 Apr 2010 04:49:11
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:48:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the only poll where my vote is one of the majority.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

TheRatBeard
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  17:48:56  Show Profile  Visit TheRatBeard's Homepage Send TheRatBeard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose sorcerer.

"Come if ye will
To the orgy within,
But first ye must find the latch!
Seen and not seen,
Been yet not been
And a handle that flesh cannot catch."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  17:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A poll like this based on the 4e classes should be made (or is it?) since the way the classes function is different (plus Warlock would be added as an option). hmmmm....

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  18:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted monk. If playing core, it beats almost anything. Except for infamous 'druid 20', which is a real one-man-band. Does anything.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  18:57:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh... The wizard is the class for me! Power, mystery, and an endless number of possibilities!!!

And also... The most powerful PrC!!!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  04:24:44  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cleric, naturally

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  09:32:54  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizard all the way baby!

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  11:24:38  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1E: Paladin
2E: Paladin
3.xE: Druid (and then you don't need anyone else)
4E: Valorous Bard or Tactical Warlord or Bladesinger

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  17:02:48  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went wizard, but ranger is a very close second.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  18:38:27  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose sorcerer, but I can adapt to any 'dedicated' spellcasting class easily (wizards run an extremely close second). I can play anything, but I prefer spellcasters (and psions, when allowed)

I'm currently playing (I get to PLAY!!!) in a campaign where the DM forbid any dedicated spellcasters at all, save one lone cleric (which I got because no one else was insane enough to volunteer for), and only because not having magical healing would slow the campaign to a crawl. At first level, with a paladin and ranger also present, he has informed us we are likely among the most magic-heavy groups around, at least in the immediate region. Needless to say, this is an exceedingly magic-lite campaign.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  19:06:32  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

<snip>
3.xE: Druid (and then you don't need anyone else)
<snip>

I can completely agree with this. Our 3.x campaign that lasted 6 years, I was the only spellcaster for years and I was a druid. I was soo thrilled when we got a cleric and a wizard eventually (upper end of the "sweet spot").

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000