Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Class!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  01:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only because auppenser is dead doesnt mean there cant be some psions left from olden times. or perhaps, as was mentioned before, there are some left-over experiments of the mind flayers with psionic powers in their blood like the sorcerers are with dragon blood.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  03:53:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

Only because auppenser is dead doesnt mean there cant be some psions left from olden times. or perhaps, as was mentioned before, there are some left-over experiments of the mind flayers with psionic powers in their blood like the sorcerers are with dragon blood.

"I'm not dead! I think I'll go for a walk!"

Auppenser isn't fully dead; he's got a few worshippers and maintains a shard of awareness.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiralari
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  00:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Kiralari's Homepage Send Kiralari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my all time favorite regardless of setting is the plain old wall-crawler. Close second is most definately sorcerer. Just so much fun to be a front line sorcerer. Everyone thinks you're insane! And that's definately me.

Always be prepared. If it rains, be prepared. If a bear chases you, be prepared. If you get attacked by drunken Hoosiers, be prepared.
~~Love Ya!
~~Ann
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  02:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:
Originally posted by Lina

In the realms the only race that I know of which has that inborn ability are the illithids (mind flayers) and one of the darkelf houses in Menzoberranzan. Some scribes would dispute whether a psion can become a class on its own since it seems to be race specific. For me, I would certainly think that a psion is more like a racial or genetically inherited ability rather than a class.

I don't think that being born with psionic abilities prohibits it from being a class. Look at the sorcerer class, the arcane magic is something that is born into them but it is still a class.

Yuan-ti are also another psionic race in the realms as well as gem dragons and a few others mentioned in canon sources.

Really... then why is not Psionics listed as a class... I could have definitely used as Psion in my BG2 party.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  03:29:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiralari

Well, my all time favorite regardless of setting is the plain old wall-crawler.

Spider-Man?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  12:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really... then why is not Psionics listed as a class... I could have definitely used as Psion in my BG2 party.

Psion is listed as a class. It is just not in the Players Handbook and I'm assuming it didn't make it onto the video game (don't know, never played BG).

If you take a look at the Expanded Psionics Handbook there are a handfull of new races, including Zephs and Half-Giants which are naturally psionic.

Then there are new classes for psions. The Psion, the Wilder, the Soul Knife, and the Psi-Warrior are all classes that use psionics and any race can take levels in them.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  18:08:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

Psion is listed as a class. It is just not in the Players Handbook and I'm assuming it didn't make it onto the video game (don't know, never played BG).

If you take a look at the Expanded Psionics Handbook there are a handfull of new races, including Zephs and Half-Giants which are naturally psionic.

Then there are new classes for psions. The Psion, the Wilder, the Soul Knife, and the Psi-Warrior are all classes that use psionics and any race can take levels in them.

And for a psionic class in a FR-publication there's the Cognition Thief from Player's Guide to Faern.

As for psions not being in BG2 (or NWN for that matter), it's probably because there's a lot in the Realms that doesn't appear in those games.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  15:51:45  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druids, they get an animal companion, speak a secret language, get to cast magic spells that help and harm and well they can walk into one tree and out another. ^_^

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  09:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of these, my favorite is the wizard. I think it might be the favorite all around, though there are so many good classes out there beyond just the original eleven. (Some pretty bad ones, too.)

quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Wizard: A full caster with a mild selection of bonus feats. The wizard is pretty cool, although Id like to see them have a few more innate class features, like figuring out magic items without using spells, more options for spell slots besides spells and more familiar options. Not that I have any options at the moment though.

Jendael, Ive been thinking along similar lines. If you can, why dont you elaborate it a little and email me with it? I could use a little inspiration to make some good wizard-specific feats.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  14:47:01  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paradoxly mine are the druid and the ranger. I am a lover of the ground and the nature, and i really love the innates power of shape-shifting of druids, that combining with their divine spells makes them a powerfull convination.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  15:20:51  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wizard: A full caster with a mild selection of bonus feats. The wizard is pretty cool, although Id like to see them have a few more innate class features, like figuring out magic items without using spells, more options for spell slots besides spells and more familiar options. Not that I have any options at the moment though.

Well, wizards can figure out magic items without using spells, you just have to be epic level and succeed a 50 + caster level spellcraft check.

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  18:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Of these, my favorite is the wizard. I think it might be the favorite all around, though there are so many good classes out there beyond just the original eleven. (Some pretty bad ones, too.)

quote:

Jendael, Ive been thinking along similar lines. If you can, why dont you elaborate it a little and email me with it? I could use a little inspiration to make some good wizard-specific feats.

I will do so. ^_^ I'll need a little time to brainstorm though. I'm moving houses tomorrow, and I'm stuck in a car alone for four hours with no radio, so I'm sure I can come up with something. :p

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  18:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jebeddo

quote:

Well, wizards can figure out magic items without using spells, you just have to be epic level and succeed a 50 + caster level spellcraft check.

Can they? 50+? Bleah. Way to high. I'd rather see something more...wizard like. Sure, a spellcraft check, but much lower and with access to a lab for an even lower DC. Something to represent the fact that they study.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  03:42:59  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jebeddo

quote:

Can they? 50+? Bleah. Way to high. I'd rather see something more...wizard like. Sure, a spellcraft check, but much lower and with access to a lab for an even lower DC. Something to represent the fact that they study.

It gets better . The above check only duplicates the effects of an identify spell, in that it only identifies the basic features of the item. In order to identify all properties of an item, the DC is 70 + caster level. Sigh, this is epic, after all.

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  08:54:14  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play either a cleric or rogue. I think this is because I like to be the one who has some special skills in the adventuring party. Whether it be healing the severely wounded or removing deadly traps.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  22:16:42  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I prefer wizards. INfact rogue/wizard but i voted wizard.
Go to Top of Page

Anthor The Unforgiver
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  06:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Anthor The Unforgiver's Homepage Send Anthor The Unforgiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I like to play as fighter so I voted for fighter
Ranger second
Paladin third

The gods may forgive you,
BUT I WON`T

My name is Anthoriavalas, but people call me Anthor.
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:26:42  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite was Rogue. Goes allog with my first character in 1st ed who was an assassin. Something about that smoothe, cocky, deadliness that makes the game fun. I have had rogue that have outwitted and out manuevered even the most magic packed paladin and it is just a function of success which makes the rogue the best.

My second favorite is the druid. Druids seem not to be that loved, but one of my favorite characters is a druid mage hell bent on bringing the love of nature to the world or the world back to nature (one way or the other).

I would have to say the worst class is the paladin, rigid and unbending. Close behind is the barbarian, I always found it absurd making a full core class out of a dumb fither with some extra HP.

All good things come to those who wait...
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  01:06:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite class is Ranger, especially after they revised them for 3.5. I think 3.5 totally made them a better class and more of what I believed a Ranger to be. The fact that they give you neat stuff for either archery or swordplay, and they finally give you that animal companion that is priceless... awesome!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  22:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer wizards, I love playing a class that takes a lot of caution or strategy but rewards you for it.
Go to Top of Page

Kowarete
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  03:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Kowarete's Homepage Send Kowarete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not played D&D a lot, but the class`s I have played are Rouge and Cleric, though I have not been playing my Cleric a lot so I would have to say Rouges are my favorite

The shadows are my only friends
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  05:25:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kowarete

I have not played D&D a lot, but the class`s I have played are Rouge and Cleric, though I have not been playing my Cleric a lot so I would have to say Rouges are my favorite

Just on the cheeks, or do you use it on the nose as well?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kowarete
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  05:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Kowarete's Homepage Send Kowarete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Kowarete

Just on the cheeks, or do you use it on the nose as well?

Just on the cheeks, but sometimes on the nose as well

The shadows are my only friends
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  15:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rogue is by far the coolest class. They have so many uses due to their special skills. Admitted, they are a little bit handicaped when in battle, but played with caution they are my absolute favorit class to play.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really have a favorite class. I know I don't like bards though;)
Go to Top of Page

Dippiey
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  04:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Dippiey's Homepage Send Dippiey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who can touch a ranger in their true element? Honestly.

This is my sig
Go to Top of Page

Jon Grey
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2005 :  03:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Jon Grey's Homepage Send Jon Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say wizard; I played for a while in 2e, and he filled sort of a Mentor/sponsor role afterwards as I ran games for a group. He got to be rather powerful, and filled the role nicely.

Of all the people that have lied to me/
Bards tend to do it most beautifully. -Rehthan Cotheras, Harper
Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2005 :  11:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer wizard class, but more preferably a wizard/shadow adept class...

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

Damian Naïlo
Acolyte

Colombia
13 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  21:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Damian Naïlo's Homepage Send Damian Naïlo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a wizard player, all the way. I've had tons of characters, and most were wizards. Next in line would be rogues, clerics, spellthieves and rangers.

"Why won't you look at me!? It's always Alustriel this, Alustriel that......look at me, for Mystra's sake!"
-Ilya Silverstar, from my campaign
Go to Top of Page

Slash Scarsmith
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  19:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Slash Scarsmith's Homepage Send Slash Scarsmith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose druid...'cause druids rock.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000