Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mithril Hall Song
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  03:25:53  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know if there is a full version of the mithril hall song at the beginning of the Streams of Silver book?

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  04:07:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that there is.

There was an "unofficial" version written by a Salvatore fan on RAS's forum once, but I do not recall whether it is still there now. Its been a long time since I visited those particular forums... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 May 2005 04:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  19:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, what do you mean by that Sage?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  02:38:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather not get into that here, Mr. Lord. What I will say is that after I made a brief statement about the frequency of North-based novels set around Drizzt and co. I was made to feel very unwelcome there. And so, I left.

As simple as that. Well, it is not really, but I would rather forget such insignificance... .

Edited by - The Sage on 13 May 2005 02:56:18
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  02:53:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd rather not get into that here, Mr. Lord. What I will say is that after I made a brief statement about the frequency of North-based novels set around Drizzt and co. I was made to feel very unwelcome there. And so, I left.

As simple as that. Well, it is not really, but I would rather forget such insignifance... .

I'd chalk up such an experience as a reminder that not every gaming forum is as wonderful as Candlekeep.

Sirius who has experienced other messageboards and thus knows this to be true
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  03:29:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

As simple as that. Well, it is not really, but I would rather forget such insignifance... .

I'd chalk up such an experience as a reminder that not every gaming forum is as wonderful as Candlekeep.

Sirius who has experienced other messageboards and thus knows this to be true

Yeah, I've not gotten banned here, unlike a certain other forum I could mention...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  04:35:33  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being banned by forums is bad, especially just because you 'correct' a slight mistake or misconception most of the people there have about something. But getting hate mails draws the line.

I totally agree that this site is much friendlier. Everyone's tolerated no matter where you're from, what you practice, or who you are in real life. Thank you Candlekeep.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  04:53:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly's just bitter. :) He's bitter also because I get away with more then he ever did and I still haven't got banned. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  05:12:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a vain attempt to at least keep some semblance to the original topic... Perhaps we should craft a song of praise for the community that is Candlekeep .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  05:25:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Wooly's just bitter. :) He's bitter also because I get away with more then he ever did and I still haven't got banned. :)

*snickers* I dare you to go over there and talk about novels...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  05:27:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In a vain attempt to at least keep some semblance to the original topic... Perhaps we should craft a song of praise for the community that is Candlekeep .

Can we set it to the tune of the "We're Knights of the Round Table" song from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 May 2005 05:27:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's definitely a suggestion I'd like to keep on the list...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  05:34:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
*snickers* I dare you to go over there and talk about novels...

Give me some incentive and I'll do it.

And to try and get this back on topic, how much of the mithral hall song is shown at the start of Streams of Silver?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  05:45:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could run down stairs to the university library and pick up the only copy Streams of Silver that they have, but with the crowd milling here in the study hall... I'd likely lose my place if I left it... .

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  07:05:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could run down stairs to the university library and pick up the only copy Streams of Silver that they have, but with the crowd milling here in the study hall... I'd likely lose my place if I left it... .

Study hall <shudder>...university <double shudder>....nevermind.

SB who mutters the horror, the damnable horror while still being impressed that a university has a copy of an FR novel.
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  01:13:34  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've dugs our holes and hallowed caves
Put goblin foes in shallow graves
this day our work is just begun
In the mines where silver rivers run

Beneath the stone the metal gleams
Torches shine of silver streams
beyond the eyes of the spying sun

The hammers chime on Mithril pure
As dwarven mines in days of yore
A craftsman work is never done
in the mines where silver rivers run

To dwarven gods we sing our praise
put another orc in a shallow grave
we know our work has just begun

That is at the very beginning of Streams of Silver.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  01:43:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordAnki

Thanks LordAnki.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  02:32:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are parts of this song that seem similar to a number of poems from the Scandinavian and Germanic Poetic Edda, Elder Edda tales. Looking at them both, I think there may be a way to generate a few new passages of the Streams of Silver song based on some of the poems, but instead using the Icewind Dale and its peoples as a suitable background reference.

It may be difficult going for a while though, at least in the respect of finding a truly common basis to work with -- language being the first obstacle. My command of the Icelandic tongue is not something I'd boast about in public . Also, most skaldic poetry composed between the 9th and 13th centuries is written in satire form, as well as in honour of powerful Scandinavian nobles, so translations may generate completely opposite ideas.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 May 2005 02:35:52
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  18:41:50  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I was wanting to know if there was a full version somewhere. Meh I'll go and ask Salvatore if he would write one.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  18:48:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well I was wanting to know if there was a full version somewhere. Meh I'll go and ask Salvatore if he would write one.

You might also wish to check out his online forum to see if any information about a full version of the song can be found there.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  02:05:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

You might also wish to check out his online forum to see if any information about a full version of the song can be found there.

Indeed. And if you do learn of something about a full version to the song Lord Anki, be sure to tell us about it here as well .

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  19:03:12  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There are parts of this song that seem similar to a number of poems from the Scandinavian and Germanic Poetic Edda, Elder Edda tales. Looking at them both, I think there may be a way to generate a few new passages of the Streams of Silver song based on some of the poems, but instead using the Icewind Dale and its peoples as a suitable background reference.

It may be difficult going for a while though, at least in the respect of finding a truly common basis to work with -- language being the first obstacle. My command of the Icelandic tongue is not something I'd boast about in public . Also, most skaldic poetry composed between the 9th and 13th centuries is written in satire form, as well as in honour of powerful Scandinavian nobles, so translations may generate completely opposite ideas.

We'll just have to call it the original, spoken version, since the Skalds did not start to write down the romances until the latter centuries.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  01:52:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the latter verses of the Poetic Edda, Elder Edda had been written down?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000