Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mageguilds of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  10:46:09  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How many mageguilds can be found through out the Realms? I am asking since I am doing this little project for a sorceress PC of mine and I am to lazy to check through all the cities myself.

Waterdeep
Almravien
Calimport
Volothamp
Keltar
Memnon
Silverymoon
Cimbar
Raven's Bluff
Suzail
Neverwinter
Mulmaster
Lyrabar
Deepearth
Keczulla
Murann
Messemprar
Daggerford
Taltemplar
Everaska
Menzoberranzan
Arabel
Westgate
Luskan

Edited: I will add the guilds posted by others (or rather locations of the guilds) in my post as to ease the reference for me and newcomers as well.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 06 May 2005 12:29:58

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  11:38:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You seem to have forgotten the Arcane Brotherhood, the Red Wizards, and the War Wizards of Cormyr.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 May 2005 11:44:13
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  14:32:00  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, yes in a way all though I did forgett to mention that they should be more or less good aligned

Besides I don't condsider the Red Wizards as a guild, nor the Arcane Brotherhood. They are more of the organization side of things. Since they usually spann a larger area than the city itself they originate from. The Mage Guild in Raven's Bluff or the many Stared Cloak guild in Neverwinter which serves the city rather then goals of their own. Is more the "mage guild" I see. But it's more of a personal preference I have then anything else. Please post anything more you come up with.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  14:47:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume the Watchful Order would qualify...

quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

The Mage Guild in Raven's Bluff or the many Stared Cloak guild in Neverwinter which serves the city rather then goals of their own. Is more the "mage guild" I see.
Recall though, the words of the Old Bearded One -

quote:
Guilds of mages vary widely across Faerun, and unofficial, secretive cabals of wizards are far more common than formal guilds. Trade in magic and lore will always take place VERY gingerly, in one of two ways: private (kept secret even from other members) deals between members, and formal deals (known to other members and regulated by intricate, written, and available-to-all-members guild rules that have been tested and refined and complained about and re-refined for decades or longer). Because of suspicion/paranoia, private deals are rare without a master-apprentice relationship or agreements that involve hostages or collateral or third-party scrutineers.
If we take this interpretation strictly, then the Black Network, the Twisted Rune, and the Red Wizards, along with all the various other arcane brotherhoods in the Realms, more than qualify as a "cabal" rather than a "guild".

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  14:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two more "schools" to add to your list.

There is a school of illusionists in a deep gnome city beneath the Bloodstone lands and a further school of wizards in Impiltur that focuses on wind magic. I believe the Impilturan school is located in Lyrrabar, although I might be mistaken.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:10:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

There is a school of illusionists in a deep gnome city beneath the Bloodstone lands and a further school of wizards in Impiltur that focuses on wind magic. I believe the Impilturan school is located in Lyrrabar, although I might be mistaken.

The Towers of the Wind is only a little school, although Broargar "Windcloak" Iringar, head teacher and founder, would probably disagree with me. It trains mages for service on merchant ships making the dangerous run across to Sembia and up to the Moonsea who often fall prey to the pirates of the Inner Sea. Most merchant ship captains don't want to fight the pirates, they just want to avoid them or outrun them so a "windmage" can often be very useful. As the school is sponsored by a few of the merchant costers in Impiltur (such as the Five Sails, Brass Coffers and Moonchaser costers based in Lyrabar) many of the school's graduates are required to serve the one of these (or other) costers for a year following their 'graduation' as a sort of indentured servant. As they are paid quite well, this usually isn't an imposition and gives them good experience.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:38:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall reading this before.

Where did you find it Krash? Or was it a part of your own personal details on Impiltur?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  04:46:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Where did you find it Krash? Or was it a part of your own personal details on Impiltur?

I made it up. It took about 2 minutes. Nice, eh?

How do you think Ed, Eric and Steven do it!?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  08:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hosttower of Luskan
The Cowled Wizards of Amn
The guild in Mulmaster
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  09:13:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't agree with the Cowled Wizards. They represent more of a cabal-like organisation -- cell-like in operation and highly secretive.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  10:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're probably right. My BGII reflexes kicked in
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  13:20:35  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Hmm, I looked for this deep gnome city in my books but haven't been able to find it. Any more leads, I sadly don't have DGTU so it's possible its in that tome.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  14:36:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

There is a school of illusionists in a deep gnome city beneath the Bloodstone lands and...
Bloodstone Lands details that the svirfneblin gnomes of Deepearth are quite skilled in the school of illusion.

quote:
...a further school of wizards in Impiltur that focuses on wind magic. I believe the Impilturan school is located in Lyrrabar, although I might be mistaken.
Indeed. Again, Bloodstone Lands mentions a minor school of magic in Lyrabar that has dedicated itself to assisting the trading fleets of Impiltur. Wizards proficient in the casting of wind magic can make a considerable fortune, and a name for themselves serving on merchant vessels.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  14:49:02  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks for clearing that up Sage. Fliping through EotSS I came across the five Guild Arcane (which Memnon is a member of)

other cities of the guild is (in standing order)

Almravien
Calimport
Volothamp

Keltar

Also Ankhapur (White Shifts) seems to have organized mages, all though it seems to be more of a forced service than anything that has to do with schooling and knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  15:15:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The city of Keczulla, in Amn, is said to be the home of a secretive cabal of mages who love to share information, arcane secrets, and trinkets. Not a traditional guild as such, but aside from their "sneeky" attitudes, they rather act like a mageguild. They are not mentioned by name specifically.

Also, in Murann, and again in Amn, there is a alchemists' guild which is said to be the largest in the nation. The guild is officially sanctioned by the Council of Six, and is believed to have other 100 members. This guild is also not named.

Old Empires makes a reference to a wizards' guild in Messemprar, in Unther. Known as the Northern Wizards, they have historically been the protectors of the city.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  16:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Hmm, I looked for this deep gnome city in my books but haven't been able to find it. Any more leads, I sadly don't have DGTU so it's possible its in that tome.

The name of the gnome city escapes me but you can find information on that in the H1-4 series of modules written for older editions. Granted, Bahamut and Orcus make appearances as "deities" so how accurate these are to current Realms write-ups I find somewhat questionable.

Nonetheless, the gnome city was liberated by Gareth Dragonsbane, et. al. and I believe that it was written that as part of their "alliance" the deep gnomes would teach the humans of the Barony of Bloodstone (and/or Damara) the skills of illusion magic. I do not recall the specific sourcebook for that particular tidbit. It may have been in the H-series modules, FRCS, or even possible the Forgotten Realms Adventures manual. I simply don't have the foggiest, but I do remember it being set down in paper in some official Realms product. Krash? Thoughts on that one?
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  16:33:11  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Na, you beat me to it sage. I didn't have though Keczulla must have missed it as I went through the tomes.

I did find two other guilds besides those that you mentioned;

Taltemplar (Evermeet)

Daggerford

Edited by - Hymn on 05 May 2005 16:40:05
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  22:07:02  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm I seem to recall there is a Mage Guild in Everaska as well but can't remember its name at the moment. I also suspect the Sorcere in Menzoberranza are a little low on the acceptance of students at the momemnt.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  22:08:57  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evereska: The Evereska College of Magic and Arms, a training academy of the highest standards and one of the cornerstones of Evereska's defenses. Harpers are the only non-elves trained there...

(source: Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast page 130/131)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:30:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hymn, I like what you're doing here. I can keep looking through my tomes if you want. What books haven't you searched through yet? Are there any you don't have?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:37:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty
Nonetheless, the gnome city was liberated by Gareth Dragonsbane, et. al. and I believe that it was written that as part of their "alliance" the deep gnomes would teach the humans of the Barony of Bloodstone (and/or Damara) the skills of illusion magic. I do not recall the specific sourcebook for that particular tidbit. It may have been in the H-series modules, FRCS, or even possible the Forgotten Realms Adventures manual. I simply don't have the foggiest, but I do remember it being set down in paper in some official Realms product. Krash? Thoughts on that one?

I believe that tidbit came from FR9 The Bloodstone Lands by R A Salvatore.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:41:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... Seems like Kuje isn't the only one being ignored ...

Ty, I'd already named the reference for the deep gnome city you sought .

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:27:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hehe... Seems like Kuje isn't the only one being ignored ...

Ty, I'd already named the reference for the deep gnome city you sought .

What? Someone mention me? Huh? Yes Master Alaundo! I am working on my scrolls! *Blinks* No, no more whipping. Back to the parchment, aye!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 May 2005 02:28:08
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I made it up. It took about 2 minutes. Nice, eh?

How do you think Ed, Eric and Steven do it!?

-- George Krashos

We let Storm or Qilue whisper it into our ears as pillow talk, dear lad.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:38:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, as Wooly stated earlier, the Arcane Brotherhood in Luskan *is* considered a guild, or at least, Volo's Guide to the North details it as such.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:48:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another source for the Arcane Brotherhood, Skullport, also references the order as a "guild".

Here's another -

There's also mention of a Guild of Naturalists in Cormyr, in the city of Arabel. They're mostly herbalists, but I suppose we can assume that some of these naturalists at least have a few levels in an arcane class of some sort. I could see diviners being particularly useful for a Naturalists' Guild. And herbalism at the very least can be considered an "alchemical" art.

It is detailed in Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 May 2005 04:49:40
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  05:32:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another source for the Arcane Brotherhood, Skullport, also references the order as a "guild".

Here's another -

There's also mention of a Guild of Naturalists in Cormyr, in the city of Arabel. They're mostly herbalists, but I suppose we can assume that some of these naturalists at least have a few levels in an arcane class of some sort. I could see diviners being particularly useful for a Naturalists' Guild. And herbalism at the very least can be considered an "alchemical" art.

It is detailed in Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

The Naturalist guild is older then that since they were around in Myth Drannor. They collect and research natural and unnatural flora and fauna.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  06:08:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes.

So we would likely even see a few elven mages, or at least diviners, among their number.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  06:52:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking that the Guild of Naturalists in Cormyr and the identically named guild in Myth Drannor (known as "the Beast Tamers") aren't related to each other. I'm not saying that it can't be so for any particular reason, but it's just my initial gut reaction to the suggestion.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  07:09:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Fall of Myth Drannor, the Guild's last mention of activity is around 680 DR. Since I don't currently have access to all my books at the moment, do we know whether they pop up anywhere else after 680 DR... to the point of the Fall? What about afterwards?

Perhaps some of the Guild Naturalists made a place for themselves in the growing Forest Kingdom after the fall of Myth Drannor. Arabel was already a city by this time...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  08:13:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also Naturalists in Westgate.... :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000