Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The princes of Shade and King Arthur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  22:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well... what DO the twelve Princes actually have to do with Arthur, the great King of Britain?, might you ask.
While you can definately say that it is neither their behaviour nor their city, it is... their names:
A short time agon when I was searching for inspirations for sweet names for my characters (and I LIKE those celtic ones), I found out that "Brennus" actually meant Prince, or Raven in the Language of the good ol' celts
Inspired by this, I started to google around and then realized that most of the Princes of Shade were named after some small characters of the Arthurian legend and its side-stories:
Rivalen was the father of well-known Tristan
Melegaunt was the lord of the keep were Guinevere lived when she was younger
Yder was a kind of prisoner of Guinevere one time (he just didn't know how to behave)
Lamorak was a Knight of Camelot
Clariburnus was no character at all, but "Caliburnus" was the name of Excalibur in a different version of the Saga
Mattick (though a real name itself) is based on the celtic word Maddock which means "good luck"

so... this all leads us to one question: Was this all intentional or just a big coincidence?

and even Telamont's name has a meaning, although I don't think it was intentional - it is an old word for "Atlant" which means a pillar in the shape of a Human (like the statue of Atlas holding the world), and is also the name of one of the Argonauts ;)

It is all just a past and future secret

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  22:45:07  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Antareana,

It would be nice to have an oficial statement to what you have found ... nice research!

Best regards,
Manuel
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  00:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't notice that... I did think some of the names of the Princes of Shade were a bit odd, but no more than that. Good catch, Antareana.

About Telamont, it must be a reference about him being the main pillar of the Shades' society, or otherwise point out his importance.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  00:41:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antareana

so... this all leads us to one question: Was this all intentional or just a big coincidence?

I suppose it is possible that it's all a coinky-dink, but I think it more likely that it was intentional.

And it's not unprecedented. Look at the name of Drizzt's panther...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tanyn Midrain
Acolyte

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  05:04:03  Show Profile  Visit Tanyn Midrain's Homepage Send Tanyn Midrain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive my ignorance Wooly, but where did Guenhwyvar get her name from?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  05:05:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanyn Midrain

I believe WR is making a reference to the fact that King Aruther's wife also had that name.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  05:57:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I believe WR is making a reference to the fact that King Aruther's wife also had that name.

Indeed. Guenhwyvar is another way of spelling Guinnevere/Guenevier/Guennevere/King Arthur's girl. I believe that the name Jennifer is also descended from this name.

Go to Top of Page

Tanyn Midrain
Acolyte

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  06:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Tanyn Midrain's Homepage Send Tanyn Midrain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank's for the info. I should have known that, having seen Merlin and all
Sry for getting off topic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  14:00:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank's for the info. I should have known that, having seen Merlin and all
Sry for getting off topic.

No worries. Your question wasn't really off-target, since the answer still pertained to Arthurian names being used in the Realms.

Oh, and speaking of things Arthurian, the Cormyrean Lords Who Sleep always brought to mind a certain aspect of Arthurian legend, at least for me.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  15:32:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Oh, and speaking of things Arthurian, the Cormyrean Lords Who Sleep always brought to mind a certain aspect of Arthurian legend, at least for me.

Are those "Lords Who Sleep" the ones that a certain author killed off?
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  15:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are those "Lords Who Sleep" the ones that a certain author killed off?

Yup. Deathstar Denning strikes again!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  15:46:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

That's a new nickname I hadn't heard of.

Then, yes WR, the "Lords Who Sleep" definitely does remind me of an Arthurian legend.

I'm sure many tales/stories have been inspired by this legendary figure. Although, I draw my line at having a moonblade stuck in a stone.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 02 May 2005 16:33:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  16:31:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's a new nickname I hadn't heard of.

Then, yes WR, the "Lords Who Sleep" definitely does remind me of an Arthurian legend.

I'm sure many tales/stories have been inspired by this legendary figure. Although, I draw my line at having a moonblade stuck in a sword.

I trust you mean "stuck in a stone"?

"Deathstar Denning" is a good one, though.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 May 2005 16:32:42
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  16:35:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I trust you mean "stuck in a stone"?

"Deathstar Denning" is a good one, though.

Egads yes, let me change that before I give someone an idea in a campaign.

Is the nickname because of something he wrote for the Star Wars universe? I seem to recall he might have killed off someone important from there.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  18:30:02  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is the nickname because of something he wrote for the Star Wars universe? I seem to recall he might have killed off someone important from there.

SB

The Star Wars connection might have something to do with it, but IIRC, that nickname arose before he wrote his Star Wars novel (or is it novels?). Anyway, again IIRC, he got that nickname because of what he did to Tilverton, Cormyr and Evereska. Got something you want destroyed in Faerun? Call on Deathstar Denning!
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  19:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...I know this might be off topic but, ah to heck with it, here I go.

I've read the end of Windwalker again to reconfirm this, and I found that it has strong connection to Norse mythology. Maybe this might have been discussed before, but looks like the three elven gals (Liriel, Thorn and Sharlarra) are based on a famous Norse myth: the valkryie. I read somewhere that the valkryies are maidens who are often seen together with wolves and ravens, which are servants of Odin themselves. Well, Sharlarra with her horse; Storm the lythari; and Liriel who can change into a raven... Did EC do this knowingly? If this has been discussed before, please tell me, so that next time I will search the forum for a topic before rezzing it accidentally again.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  20:21:28  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

SB

The Star Wars connection might have something to do with it, but IIRC, that nickname arose before he wrote his Star Wars novel (or is it novels?). Anyway, again IIRC, he got that nickname because of what he did to Tilverton, Cormyr and Evereska. Got something you want destroyed in Faerun? Call on Deathstar Denning!

Alright, lets ask him if he can write a book about Menzoberranzan.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  22:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it was a pleasure to find out *bows deeply*

oh yes, the "Lord who sleeps"... very obviously

"Deathstar Denning" sounds funny, this one's new for me, too. At the end of the Avatar trilogy there was a lot of destruction, too (maybe he's just Talos' little chosen?)

what interests me now is, who chose the name for the Princes? Troy Denning? Someone else? Maybe even Ed? If we want some verification for intentions, we have to find out that first

It is all just a past and future secret

Edited by - Antareana on 02 May 2005 22:38:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000