Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The Phaerimm(ThornBacks) Origins
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  02:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, can I inquire how long is the interval between each growth stage of the phaerimm?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  03:22:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can. Fortunately I happen to have LEoF here with me at work today so...

The tome itself doesn't elaborate on the specifics of phaerimm evolution, and how long each period is between each growth stage. However their HD reflect each growth stage and are as follows: hatchling 2-3HD, juvenile 5-6HD, young adult 8-9HD, adult 11-12HD, mature adult 14-15HD, elder 17-18HD, and 20+ HD for the revered elder phaerimm.

That should give you a fair idea of phaerimm evolution.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 May 2005 03:24:03
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  06:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You, The Sage, for the information. For the information you provided will certainly prove most helpful.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  07:59:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a problem .

Are you intending to do anything Realms-specific with this information, or was it just general curiosity?

Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  14:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So since the phaerimm gain greater powers at each age level, can it be said that they are of sorcerer calibre and comparatively surpasses human, elven sorcerers in terms of learning speed and casting speed as well as knowledge of magic?

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  09:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by Adarin So since the phaerimm gain greater powers at each age level, can it be said that they are of sorcerer calibre and comparatively surpasses human, elven sorcerers in terms of learning speed and casting speed as well as knowledge of magic?

Perhaps what you say may be true.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  09:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, by the way, I heard that the phaerimm are never really that united. Like the Myth Drannor phaerimm do not really care much for their cousins in Anauroch and only interested in their own affairs than be bothered by their cousins affairs. Only till the threat the Shadovar posed to their survival really unite them together, so is it true that the phaerimm are never that united and whole as a race?

Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  03:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they are not that united, only when big threats such as the Shadovar which threaten their existence, they will unite and fight but otherwise are concerned with their own affairs.

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  05:35:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Greetings, by the way, I heard that the phaerimm are never really that united. Like the Myth Drannor phaerimm do not really care much for their cousins in Anauroch and only interested in their own affairs than be bothered by their cousins affairs. Only till the threat the Shadovar posed to their survival really unite them together, so is it true that the phaerimm are never that united and whole as a race?

I think that, for the most part, the phaerimm are united in their attitudes toward the need for the eradication of all other races in the Realms. Their motives for removing all the mortal races from existence would seem to be the ONE trait that nearly all phaerimm, regardless of where they presently are, share.

Beyond that though, there is little that would seem to endear one group or faction of phaerimm to another -- sometimes even within the same locale. We know that the phaerimm beneath the ruins of Myth Drannor spend most of their time and energy on pointless power squabbles amongst themselves. Looking at this, we can probably assume that these phaerimm care little about their fellow phaerimm elsewhere, beyond the drive to conquer the Realms.

As I see it, the motives of the phaerimm with regard to just about anything, aren't something that are supposed to be easy for mortals to understand.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  08:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You, The Sage, for the reply. It is very much appreciated by me.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  15:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I think that, for the most part, the phaerimm are united in their attitudes toward the need for the eradication of all other races in the Realms. Their motives for removing all the mortal races from existence would seem to be the ONE trait that nearly all phaerimm, regardless of where they presently are, share.

Beyond that though, there is little that would seem to endear one group or faction of phaerimm to another -- sometimes even within the same locale. We know that the phaerimm beneath the ruins of Myth Drannor spend most of their time and energy on pointless power squabbles amongst themselves. Looking at this, we can probably assume that these phaerimm care little about their fellow phaerimm elsewhere, beyond the drive to conquer the Realms.

As I see it, the motives of the phaerimm with regard to just about anything, aren't something that are supposed to be easy for mortals to understand.

I have always seen the Phaerimm as an ultrapowerful magical beings with cruel, twisted methods and alien goals not understood by "the lesser races". I have never considered them as a step of evolution (as mentioned by Eric on this thread) which could be achieved by other races, but rather as elder things that men have nightmares of... and should avoid dealing with at all costs (very much like the Grell, but with the Phaerimm beings more powerful of these two terrifying races)

However, I would like to inquire if there is any mention of Phaerimm being only native to Toril? Considering that if the Phaerimm have not been exclusively created by the Imaskari (as suggested by George), and yet we know that they have existed for tens of thousands of years, did they at some point in time come from another plane (the way the Malaugrym did)? It seems that I just canīt recall any reference to this, which after all should be my field of expertise

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  15:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We know that rot reavers are said to enjoy and take great pleasure in the killing of living creatures, and that phaerimm generally have an overwhelming need to inflict great pain, which likely leads to death.

Perhaps this inherent phaerimm trait came to be exemplified - and later evolved into a biological drive to kill - in the rot reavers that the third and unrevealed Runemaster (the undead phaerimm) helped create.

I donīt recall ever hearing of rot reavers... what are they?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  15:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

George Krashos speculated that the Phaerimms could be both very old dating back to at least -33800 DR, but also could have had a group of them created by the Imaskari.

The Imaskari were very skilled mages, no reason they could not have built their own Phaerimm.

It's also possible that the Phaerimm could have gone back in time somehow to fight the Sarrukh.

In a Savage Frontier campaign that we have been playing for over ten years now we stumbled into the secret of Ascore... a sleeping god, which apparently had been revered by the Phaerimm in ancient times.

Later on we explored the Rift of Stars in High Ice, and discovered an ancient complex perhaps pre-dating even Netheril (or so our characters assumed), where human wizards and rebel (?) phaerimm had revered SessīInnek and bred new batches of Phaerimm within human slaves.

There even seemed to be a gate leading back to the times when the lizard men (Sarrukh) and their human thralls had fought the Phaerimm deity and his/her/its Phaerimm followers. Eventually SessīInnek and her Sarrukh followers (with the aid of the rebel Phaerimm) prevailed, and the unnamed god was imprisoned under the pyramids of Ascore...

That was only my interpration of the events in our campaign, but it surely was scary to encounter a group of 50 young Phaerimm caught in a breeding (and/or feeding) frenzy

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  19:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That campaign sounds like a lot of fun! Very cool!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  01:40:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

We know that rot reavers are said to enjoy and take great pleasure in the killing of living creatures, and that phaerimm generally have an overwhelming need to inflict great pain, which likely leads to death.

Perhaps this inherent phaerimm trait came to be exemplified - and later evolved into a biological drive to kill - in the rot reavers that the third and unrevealed Runemaster (the undead phaerimm) helped create.

Rot Reavers were detailed in MMIII. Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me at the moment, so another helpful scribe will have to provide some basic creature details on them.

Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  01:43:47  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AsgetrionThere even seemed to be a gate leading back to the times when the lizard men (Sarrukh) and their human thralls had fought the Phaerimm deity and his/her/its Phaerimm followers

Phaerimm having a deity? Can I inquire which deity do they worship? But so far I have heard of renegade phaerimm wishing to worship Tyr, The Even-Handed and yet trying to break away from their evil fellow phaerimm.
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  12:47:02  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The phaerimm are unlikely to worship any gods, I think it is simply below their dignity and interests to do that. Well, if so, the phaerimm only have the Imaskari as their creators, but even the Imaskari are not the dieties themselves.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  12:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, from my sources, there are some rumors saying that there are a few phaerimm worshipping Tyr. Probably hoping to be spared a grisly death at the hands of the Shade Enclave.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  14:08:01  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where have you heard of this Tyr- worshipping?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  03:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,you may find it is a bit unofficial, but this is where I found the information.

1)http://www.dragonslayergames.com/soaringblade/id51.htm
Look at the top and look for the words "phaerimm" and click on it and look at the left side of the page.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  14:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Rot Reavers were detailed in MMIII. Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me at the moment, so another helpful scribe will have to provide some basic creature details on them.

Thanks... I will look them up later

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  14:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

quote:
Originally posted by AsgetrionThere even seemed to be a gate leading back to the times when the lizard men (Sarrukh) and their human thralls had fought the Phaerimm deity and his/her/its Phaerimm followers

Phaerimm having a deity? Can I inquire which deity do they worship? But so far I have heard of renegade phaerimm wishing to worship Tyr, The Even-Handed and yet trying to break away from their evil fellow phaerimm.

I do not know which deity, since our PCs are trying to get that information from the elusive Sharn dwelling in Undermountain... I do not even know if they "worshipped" this god - certainly they had allied with it (perhaps to achieve a certain goal?) and served it in the war against the Sarrukh and SessīInnek (and their human allies/thralls).

There was also the faction of "rebel" Phaerimm, aiding the Sarrukh.
Perhaps this was due that these rebel Phaerimm were indeed of the Imaskari Breed (those allied with the Sarrukh and humans)? It may even be that those humans were older than Netherese, and thus it may be that they were Imaskari...

I am just speculating here...

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  14:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TymoraChosen

The phaerimm are unlikely to worship any gods, I think it is simply below their dignity and interests to do that. Well, if so, the phaerimm only have the Imaskari as their creators, but even the Imaskari are not the dieties themselves.

I think that even a race as proud and powerful as the Pharimm still acknowledge the existence of deities. Perhaps they see the habit of worship as something characteristic to lesser races, but I could see them allying themselves with deities, or servants of deities, to achieve certain goals... letīs remember that their motives and goals are twisted and alien from our human perspective

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  14:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This deity that we discovered imprisoned under the central pyramid of Ascore was monstrous and alien, and we couldnīt determine its "race". Apparently it dated back to the "Time of the Best", when Elder Races preyed on men until SessīInnek and the Sarrukh were able to defeat it (I do not know if any of this is "canon" lore).

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  01:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion This deity that we discovered imprisoned under the central pyramid of Ascore was monstrous and alien, and we couldnīt determine its "race". Apparently it dated back to the "Time of the Best", when Elder Races preyed on men until SessīInnek and the Sarrukh were able to defeat it

Well pardon, can I ask for more information about the central pyramid of Ascore and the mysterious deity hidden in the pyramid?

Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  02:00:47  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, the phaerimm are seeking sources of magic sufficient enough to support their growth. Also, it is said that they seek to transfrom the realms into a kind of wasteland like Anauroch, surely they will ally with a deity that share similar goals like them. It would not be surprising if the phaerimm ally with the Zhentarim or the Red Wizards just to fufill their own insidious goals.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  14:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion This deity that we discovered imprisoned under the central pyramid of Ascore was monstrous and alien, and we couldnīt determine its "race". Apparently it dated back to the "Time of the Best", when Elder Races preyed on men until SessīInnek and the Sarrukh were able to defeat it

Well pardon, can I ask for more information about the central pyramid of Ascore and the mysterious deity hidden in the pyramid?

I cannot really shed any light to the nature of this deity as our DM hasnīt really revealed much about it. Our caharcters are trying to get inromation from the Sharn about it...

I can tell you about the pyramids of Ascore that in our campaign they were sort of "hollow tombs" with thousands of "spell lights" glowing everywhere in huge chambers(which we speculated were either VERY powerful spells, or probably souls of those who imprisoned this god). Either way these lights seemed to be crucial to the binding spells of the central pyramid.
As to the wards of the pyramids I have no clue, since all of them had been "penetrated" earlier (before we arrived). Our PCs guessed that this had probably been due to Master Danilo Thann (we gave him a very powerful artifact to investigate its powers... which he apparently tested in practise ;) I donīt know all the details of this (yet) as the events are still unfolding...

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  19:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of what I have written above is "unofficial" Realmslore - especially concerning Ascore (they have always evaded this subject in official Realmslore ;) Maybe some day we will get the "official" answer from one of the Great Sages (though I doubt it)

I believe our DM also made it up, that Atīar the Sun God (or his avatar/aspect?) was imprisoned in an ancient dungeon complex within the Rift of Stars (and our PCs also set him free... unfortunately)
That was were we bumped into "younger" Phaerimms (we had fought - and fled - two Elders in Ascore).

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  19:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

That campaign sounds like a lot of fun! Very cool!

Sorry... I noticed your post only now Thanks, Gray, it has been cool to participate in it. Maybe you would be interested to hear about our (mis)adventure in the Ardeep forest with Cult of the Yellow Owl

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  00:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Do tell.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000