Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What have you imported into the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  21:30:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this talk of tech... Has anyone imported any Dragonstar stuff?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  23:54:57  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I havn't imported anything really. Most of my stuff is custom made though. I plan to create some new races and classes into FR but not sure yet.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't one of the 2nd Ed Monstrous Compendiums include stats for a mek of some sort?

I also use the VanRichten's Guides, seeing them as ways of improving creatures supposedly as ancient as liches and vampires (and, yes, as an Anne Rice fan, I also added a few Children of the Millennia).

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:11:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've been toying with the idea of bringing in the soulmechs from DS in an alternate FR campaign. I've even developed a relevant creation myth based on the culture of the Lantanese gnomes.

As for actual modern or sci-fi technology, no. Unless it's just a one shot FR campaign for a little fun, or a game which is being justified as "a break" from our regular campaigns, my usual FR games stay grounded in the technological dynamic established by Ed of the Greenwood in the ol' Grey boxed set.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:42:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I've been toying with the idea of bringing in the soulmechs from DS in an alternate FR campaign. I've even developed a relevant creation myth based on the culture of the Lantanese gnomes.

I'd not mind seeing that... I'm sure it comes as no surprise to you that I really liked soulmechs, too.

quote:

As for actual modern or sci-fi technology, no. Unless it's just a one shot FR campaign for a little fun, or a game which is being justified as "a break" from our regular campaigns, my usual FR games stay grounded in the technological dynamic established by Ed of the Greenwood in the ol' Grey boxed set.

Like I said earlier, I'm the same way. I like to think about importing odd stuff, but as far as tech goes, I'm leaving the Realms as they are (and playing down smoke powder).

If I ever do run a campaign that involves spelljamming, and I use the Space Marine idea, the tech side will be downplayed, and the players will not be able to get any tech out of the deal. I just like the idea of a Space Marine cleric...

Or, if I was running a Realms campaign and decided to involve that guy, the players wouldn't have any idea that he wasn't a local, so to speak.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  04:19:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd not mind seeing that... I'm sure it comes as no surprise to you that I really liked soulmechs, too.
I don't doubt it . If we ever have the opportunity, and I know you've said this before, we really need to participate in the same FR campaign. I'd imagine we'd have quite a great deal of fun with many curious ponderings on the Realmslore... .

quote:

quote:

Like I said earlier, I'm the same way. I like to think about importing odd stuff, but as far as tech goes, I'm leaving the Realms as they are (and playing down smoke powder).

If I ever do run a campaign that involves spelljamming, and I use the Space Marine idea, the tech side will be downplayed, and the players will not be able to get any tech out of the deal. I just like the idea of a Space Marine cleric...

Or, if I was running a Realms campaign and decided to involve that guy, the players wouldn't have any idea that he wasn't a local, so to speak.
Actually, the spelljamming/Space Marine angle is interesting. We know that throughout the entire history of the Adeptus Astartes some battlebarges have been completely lost - either due to disturbances from the Warp, or abandoning the principles of the Legions and the Imperium.

Now, what if beyond the phlogiston, lies several breaches to the Immaterium. A critically damaged battlebarge emerges from one of these breaches. The Space Marines on board are forced to abandon their vessel, making contact with a primitive Whale Ship, and asking its crew for assistance and refuge.

No... that may be taking the concept of Space Marines and spelljamming too far...

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  09:55:54  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if some terminators were teleported into battle but something went wrong, and they appear in waterdeep ready to rumble? (that would be a mess)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  11:21:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

What if some terminators were teleported into battle but something went wrong, and they appear in waterdeep ready to rumble? (jesus that would be a mess)

That's a little too easy for me...

Besides, I only want one Space Marine.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  11:24:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't doubt it . If we ever have the opportunity, and I know you've said this before, we really need to participate in the same FR campaign. I'd imagine we'd have quite a great deal of fun with many curious ponderings on the Realmslore... .

We'd prolly scare people, too.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  14:40:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the more reason then for why we definitely have to try this, I think... .

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  19:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Didn't one of the 2nd Ed Monstrous Compendiums include stats for a mek of some sort?

I think you're thinking of the Spirit Warriors from the Second Spelljammer MC. They're undead elven war beetles left over from the Unhuman Wars. The smaller one is twenty feet tall and holds one soldier. The larger one (the Zaragan), is forty feet tall, can hold 5-8 people, is capable of true spelljamming (SR 3), and multiplies damage of any spell cast by the people inside by 10.

The DM of one of my games called them the "battlemechs of a fantasy setting."

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  23:02:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

quote:

I think you're thinking of the Spirit Warriors from the Second Spelljammer MC. They're undead elven war beetles left over from the Unhuman Wars. The smaller one is twenty feet tall and holds one soldier. The larger one (the Zaragan), is forty feet tall, can hold 5-8 people, is capable of true spelljamming (SR 3), and multiplies damage of any spell cast by the people inside by 10.

I always thought that the concept of those was a bit silly... And the bionoid was an obvious rip-off of the Guyver...

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  03:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the Gyver?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  05:29:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's the Gyver?

It was anime... I can't tell you much about it; my old roommate was way into it but it never grabbed me.

From what I remember, though, the concept behind the Guyver and the bionoid is identical.

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  05:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was also a live action movie with Mark Hamill.

Personally, aside from a few generic classes and one small trading city that I stole from a homebrew for the simple reason of keeping some old NPC's, I've not stolen much from other sources. However, in my non-realms game, I've stolen lots from the realms themselves.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  06:30:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Appropriate.

I've always been intrigued by the possibilities of exploring "organic" battlemechs. Whether I'd use them in a D&D or d20 Modern campaign is another matter entirely of course.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  11:31:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Who's he?

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  04:42:15  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've imported various ideas/races/monsters I liked from generic 3rd/3.5 Edition sourcebooks. Also, rather randomly, the most recent 'cut-and-paste' I had in my Reals was the setting for the 1e module the Wand of Archeal placed west of Anchorome. It bought the module by accident and despite its flaws I'm rather fond of it, and didn't want it left out of my Realms.

Actaully Anchorome, undeveloped as it is, is where I have placed the most of my outside influences. My Anchorome's dark, sharply mountainous areas are populated by Sable Elves - Warhammer Fantasy's Dark Elves.

But in general, I add things I like, as legitimately as possible. One of my PCs was a Greyhawk gray elf thief who stowed away in a spelljamming ship, romanced a space selkie, went into suspended animation, and ended up rousing as the ship landed on Evermeet.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  05:56:10  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sarelle!
Nice to see you back (or have we been missing each other in the threads?). Now, has anyone seen PDK for a while?

If it suits me, I'll import anything. Changelings from Eberron are something I really want to use. I think they would fit well in the Realms.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  06:24:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin
If it suits me, I'll import anything. Changelings from Eberron are something I really want to use. I think they would fit well in the Realms.

I may regret this, but the Gods hate cowards....

What are Changelings from Eberron?

And in what area or manner do you see them fitting within the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  06:28:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

My Anchorome's dark, sharply mountainous areas are populated by Sable Elves - Warhammer Fantasy's Dark Elves.
Would you say they are exactly the same as the WH conception of the Dark Elves, or did you change certain elements to better reflect a Realmsian nature?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  06:34:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

What are Changelings from Eberron?
Try this page SB, it should provide you with a basic detailing for the Changelings of Eberron -

http://www.theisleofkev.com/eberron/characters-races-changelings.html

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  07:23:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Try this page SB, it should provide you with a basic detailing for the Changelings of Eberron -

Interesting and mucho gracias Senor Sage.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  10:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Who's he?

Now, be nice, Wooly! Hasn't poor old Mark been dumped on enough? Besides, he did a great job as the voice of the Joker in the Batman cartoon!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  11:22:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Who's he?

Now, be nice, Wooly! Hasn't poor old Mark been dumped on enough? Besides, he did a great job as the voice of the Joker in the Batman cartoon!

I still liked his appearance in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. "Hey kids, it's Mark Hamill!"

Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  11:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still liked his appearance in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. "Hey kids, it's Mark Hamill!"

Still haven't seen that movie, but I've heard it was hilarious

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  14:56:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Interesting and mucho gracias Senor Sage.

I wouldn't mind hearing what you think about the Eberron Changelings, based on those details SB?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  15:01:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wouldn't mind hearing what you think about the Eberron Changelings, based on those details SB?

I want to hear first from hammer of Moradin as to how he is considering placing them within the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  17:13:05  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Sarelle!
Nice to see you back (or have we been missing each other in the threads?). Now, has anyone seen PDK for a while?

Nice to see you too, Hammer. I've not really returned as such, I'm still very busy, but I was randomly dropping the site a visit when a few posts caught my attention and I ended up replying... so I thought I'd look around at any rate

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

My Anchorome's dark, sharply mountainous areas are populated by Sable Elves - Warhammer Fantasy's Dark Elves.
Would you say they are exactly the same as the WH conception of the Dark Elves, or did you change certain elements to better reflect a Realmsian nature?

Oh I gave them a brief Realmsian backstory, I think I just failed to write it down... They are descended from primeval fey from the Plane of Faerie known ONLY as Dark Elves (i.e. they were Dark Elves before the drow aquired the same name-the other elven races were descended from Light Elves). I incorporated a general feel of feralness mixed with magic and piracy, as well as the wonderful witch elves, so I generally stuck with WH's druchi conception.

I believe I used a FR Portal reference to Anchorome to draw up that the Sable Elves lives in the stark, mountainous northwest portion of Anchorome, mixing and competing with dragons and in the end interbreeding extensively, creating strong draconic bloodlines in the elves. They worshipped a lingering aspect of Bhaal with some turning to Tiamat.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  17:35:02  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SB
Changelings are the product of a joining of humans and dopplegangers, with many generations gone by. With the proliferation of dopplegangers in the Realms, it would be quite easy for them to fit into nearly every area. Not wanting to call attention to themselves, mostly due to their doppleganger cousins activities, they lead solitary lives away from the crowd so as to not draw attention to themselves. At the same time, their human ancestry will cause them to be adventurous. Changelings, in the guise of humans or humanoids, would work quite well in any adventuring party. They would fit in well with the seedy organizations of the world if that is their intent. Who knows, some of the creatures that folks think are dopplegangers could actually be changelings.
So, their origins already could place them within the Realms. Their nature would allow them to adapt and blend in without many knowing of their true nature, and if added, many existing dopplegangers could actually be changed (THE HORROR!) to make them changelings.
I just like that it could give the game that unknown factor that works well in many genres. Take Battlestar Galactica (the new one) where the Cylons can now look human. It just increases the paranoia level without always having to resort to dopplegangers.
I still haven't done this, though, so if anyone has put changelings in the Realms, let me know how it worked.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000