Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What have you imported into the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  00:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by khorne, then added to by Wooly :)

where can I find detailed information about the class:"psychic warrior". I have no idea what it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's one of the main psionic classes. Refer to the Psionics Handbook for more info.

Just to add to Wooly's comment, I'd actually suggest taking a look at the Expanded Psionics Handbook as I felt that the rules, and psionics in general, were handled better in that source.

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Does anybody else get post count envy when they look just a little bit south of The Sage's Avatar? <psst..."Don't stare Kuje, it's unseemly." ;)>
Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  00:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things I've imported into FR...Well, I run a homebrew campaign that draws on many FR place names, organizations, NPCs, etc.

But here's a few non-FR additions:

Noble Houses in a large human kingdom of my design (similar to how they are handled in George R.R. Martin's excellent series of books: A Song of Ice & Fire).

Several mercenary companies that were either created by myself for other campaigns or in one case were borrowed from a series of novels..for example The Black Company (see Glen Cook's series of books about the gritty, mercenary soldiers of the Black Company - Hmm, that sounded almost like an ad didn't it, well Glen Cook's work is tremendously good).

Quite a few adventure sites, cities, etc. have been imported from non-FR sources (and generally modified to my tastes rather than a straight port). For example, Temple of Elemental Evil, Dragon Mountain, places and locales from Against the Giants, Keep on the Borderlands, some Lankhmar(sp?) related adventure sites, and so on.

I am not a big fan of "techy" or "sci-fi-ish" flavor mixed with my fantasy RPG, so I tend to keep that out entirely. I've never run a session where someone shot a gun, flew a spaceship, or tossed a frag grenade. Eventually those industrious gnomes in Lantan might finish "perfecting" smokepowder, but there will be a lit of misfires ;).

At times I have used various info from Krynn, Greyhawk, Planescape, Mystara, and so on in my FR or partially FR campaigns. But not all have been permanent fixtures, some have just been tested out there and I decided not to keep that feature for future campaigns.

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Does anybody else get post count envy when they look just a little bit south of The Sage's Avatar? <psst..."Don't stare Kuje, it's unseemly." ;)>
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  00:57:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lokahn Mandrake

I am not a big fan of "techy" or "sci-fi-ish" flavor mixed with my fantasy RPG, so I tend to keep that out entirely.

Really, I'm not that into mixing them, either. I do like the dichotomy of it, but for the most part, I don't want any more tech in my Realms than we already have (I don't even like smoke powder).

Sure, Sage and I talked about importing a Mech -- but while I like the idea, I don't see a reason to do it. It's a fun concept to kick around, but it's not one I'm likely to do.

As for my Space Marine idea, that's a singular example. I plan on using him as an NPC, and I'm just bringing him over because I like the concept. His armor will be more arcane than anything else, and he'll have to use the same weapons as anyone else in the Realms. No frag grenades, no power weapons, no bolters (he has one, but doesn't use it because he can't replace the ammo), no lasguns, no multimeltas -- nothing like that. No 40k weapons at all. He'll prolly have a bastard sword, simply because of his size.

Also, he's going to be big, he's going to be bad, and he's going to stay in the background. All that anyone is going to know about him is that he's a giant of a man who won't speak about his past, and who has a suit of armor unlike anything else ever seen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  01:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and who might, if affected by chaos, start going "blood for the blood god! skulls for the throne of bone!" That's something I can imagine... a sword wielding Space Marine going totally berserk against a whole tribe of orcs or a nice big group of knights.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:27:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos

...and who might, if affected by chaos, start going "blood for the blood god! skulls for the throne of bone!" That's something I can imagine... a sword wielding Space Marine going totally berserk against a whole tribe of orcs or a nice big group of knights.

I don't think the Chaos Gods have much influence in the Realms...

Besides, my guy becomes a cleric of Torm, figuring that the Emperor is a manifestation or avatar of Torm.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:33:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

At times I have used various info from Krynn, Greyhawk, Planescape, Mystara, and so on in my FR or partially FR campaigns.
I'd like to hear about what information specifically, from those settings you've used? Especially Planescape and Mystara. I've found it difficult at times to port material from the Known World setting into the Realms...

quote:
Sure, Sage and I talked about importing a Mech -- but while I like the idea, I don't see a reason to do it. It's a fun concept to kick around, but it's not one I'm likely to do.
Oh, I agree. My GH experience was mainly due to the fact that many of the central concepts of the setting were jumbled up anyway, because the nerra had began a major invasion of the Material Plane which caused alternate dimensions (through their extensive use of mirrors) to merge and separate. I'd probably never use them in a 'canon-specific' campaign.

quote:
Actually, thinking about that, I've often toyed with the notion of introducing Slaanesh into the Realms pantheon... but then I think that perhaps he may be a little too extreme for the Realms. PS on the other hand... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:36:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Besides, my guy becomes a cleric of Torm, figuring that the Emperor is a manifestation or avatar of Torm.

That could work actually, and it could make for an interesting introducing of Realms-specific Primarchs. They could be derived from the "flesh" or "divine" energy of Torm... .

Now that's just Binky!

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:10:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked the physical description of Night Ones from the Shadowrun Companion (essentially they're elves, but over six feet tall and with midnight blue fur and some "cattish" features), so I grabbed them and plunked them down on one of the "unknown continents." I worked up a whole history for them too, which, in a nutshell, is this:

Night Ones used to be peaceful plains dwellers until a bunch of nasties called Tren showed up (I haven't detailed the Tren really. Just think of them as 9 foot tall undefined killing machines with a taste for Night One flesh). With no way of fighting these monsters, the Night Ones ran north, eventually finding refuge in the massive mountain range at the extreme northern end of the continent. There they dug in, taught themselves war, and built massive citadels. They've been fighting for their lives ever since, only barely holding on.

They're also extremely psionic, as psionic as most elves are magical or more. I gave them innate psionic abilities and the option to multiclass psionicist with anything (remember this is 2e). However, only 1 in two or three thousand has any magical talent at all.

I tossed one of my Night Ones into my campaign, and boy did he stir things up! For one, he looks remarkably like a drow, until he managed to get close enough and have people realise that he's actually blue, not black, and that he's got fur. Also, he's the only psionic character in my campaign, and I enjoy exploiting 2e psionics. Good thing he's mostly a good guy.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:14:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

That could work actually, and it could make for an interesting introducing of Realms-specific Primarchs. They could be derived from the "flesh" or "divine" energy of Torm... .

Now that's just Binky!

Realms-specific Primarchs? Ooh... Man, with as unbalancing as a Space Marine would be, can you imagine Leman Russ or Lion El'Jonson in D&D stats? And let's not forget Horus, either before or during the Heresy...

Oh, and Slaanesh is the eldar Chaos God, right?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:16:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

(I haven't detailed the Tren really. Just think of them as 9 foot tall undefined killing machines with a taste for Night One flesh).

Uh, tren are already in the Realms...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:20:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Uh, tren are already in the Realms...

First time I noticed them was in an FR novel in fact.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:29:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As you no doubt know, there's been a fair amount of inconsistency between editions in existing WH and WH40K source material.

In WH40K, Slaanesh was born from the exalted Eldar minds reaching too far in search of the ultimate pleasures. Thus was created the Eye of Terror. But there is existing older material that suggests that both Khorne and Tzeentch were around in Eldar culture for a significantly longer time (in alternate forms) than Slaanesh (Khaine fighting Khorne for example) even though the Eldar are supposed to be one of the oldest galactic races.

So, it really all depends on how you interpret the canon material for the setting.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Apr 2005 03:31:16
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  04:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. My mistake then. I didn't know, and was really just grasping at straws to throw a name up there. Besides "Unnamed, Undefined, Undrawn Killing Machines" just takes too long to type. So just change "tren" to "UUUKM" in my post.

Since it's bring brought up, what are the tren and what book are they from?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  05:13:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tren appeared in Elaine Cunningham's novel, Dream Spheres.
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  05:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Actually, thinking about that, I've often toyed with the notion of introducing Slaanesh into the Realms pantheon... but then I think that perhaps he may be a little too extreme for the Realms. PS on the other hand... .

Wonder if the Realms need the Chaos gods to spice things up a bit? Tzeentch would be nice...a god of sorcery, magic, mutations and conspiracies. Wonder how Mystra and Shar would feel if he created his own Weave?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  05:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

And were detailed for 3e in Serpent Kingdoms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  05:44:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As you no doubt know, there's been a fair amount of inconsistency between editions in existing WH and WH40K source material.

In WH40K, Slaanesh was born from the exalted Eldar minds reaching too far in search of the ultimate pleasures. Thus was created the Eye of Terror. But there is existing older material that suggests that both Khorne and Tzeentch were around in Eldar culture for a significantly longer time (in alternate forms) than Slaanesh (Khaine fighting Khorne for example) even though the Eldar are supposed to be one of the oldest galactic races.

So, it really all depends on how you interpret the canon material for the setting.

Actually, I'm very weak on the WH Fantasy stuff. I know next to nothing about it -- I've never played it, and never had any interest in it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  05:46:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

And were detailed for 3e in Serpent Kingdoms.

Tren date back to 2nd edition, at least. They appeared in MC11, the second Forgotten Realms Appendix to the Monstrous Compendium.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  06:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember the monsters from Dream Spheres, though I had completely forgotten that they were called tren. Oh well, back to the name drawing board. Good thing I'm not as attached to those beasties as I am to the Night Ones.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  06:36:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos

quote:

Wonder if the Realms need the Chaos gods to spice things up a bit? Tzeentch would be nice...a god of sorcery, magic, mutations and conspiracies. Wonder how Mystra and Shar would feel if he created his own Weave?

If Tzeentch become a power in the Realms pantheon, he might bring his connection to the Immaterium with him, thus granting him access to a "Weave" of magic all his own. If this was indeed the case, it could significantly alter the access and control of Realms-magic by offering a new possibility for the origins of sorcerous magic.

Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  10:41:12  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If Tzeentch become a power in the Realms pantheon, he might bring his connection to the Immaterium with him, thus granting him access to a "Weave" of magic all his own. If this was indeed the case, it could significantly alter the access and control of Realms-magic by offering a new possibility for the origins of sorcerous magic.

And would he bring his version of demons with him? Along with psykers? Hmm...the illithid's ain't gonna like him. Sorcerous psionics, now wouldn't that be interesting?

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  11:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a sidenote regarding the chaos powers...
Tzeentch, Khorne and Nurgle are indeed older than Slaanesh. With the fall of the Eldar, Slaanesh was created. The Eldar homeworlds were lost in the birth of the Eye of Terror. I believe the first three chaos gods were originally created by the Fall of the Slann... But that I cant remember all that well.

No inconsistencies there, thats aboot it :)

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  16:38:39  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Tzeentch, Khorne and Nurgle are indeed older than Slaanesh. With the fall of the Eldar, Slaanesh was created. The Eldar homeworlds were lost in the birth of the Eye of Terror. I believe the first three chaos gods were originally created by the Fall of the Slann... But that I cant remember all that well.

Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch were created by humanity.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  17:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"At times I have used various info from Krynn, Greyhawk, Planescape, Mystara, and so on in my FR or partially FR campaigns.

I'd like to hear about what information specifically, from those settings you've used? Especially Planescape and Mystara. I've found it difficult at times to port material from the Known World setting into the Realms..."

Hmm, I don't have my materials handy, but off the top of my head:
Krynn - Some races and many creatures that were not adapted at all to FR (but I adapted/inserted them into FR myself) back in 1e/2e and I still use some of them on occasion in 3e/3.5e. Like Death Knights, Draconians, Kender...And I really liked how Minotaurs and Wild Elves were handled in Krynn, so I tried to transfer some of that flavor to FR. And I really liked the Solamnic Knights, so I tried to insert that flavor and code into the attitude and actions of some of the knights in my FR campaigns. I used the Art of Dragonlance as visualization/concept art for some of my dragons. The Dragonlance book of lairs provided some locations and ideas to insert into FR...IIRC wasn't there a shadow dragon lair in that accessory (I think I used that at some point). Some other dragonlance adventures were converted for use in FR. And I utilized some of the ideas that I read about in Dragonlance novels in my campaigns as well.

Jumping back to Draconians for a sec...

<<<EXTREMELY MILD SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVE NOT YET READ REALMS OF SHADOW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There's a story in Realms of Shadow where a younger Telamont first encounters Vaasans and aids them when they are attacked by some "mud critters" and some flying (dragonmen?). Were these supposed to be kapak draconians? I was a bit confused as I read that story, although it was a very good short story. Perhaps someone can shed light on that for me?

<<<<<<END MILD SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Greyhawk - In some campaigns I have inserted some of the Greyhawk deities. I like Hextor, Iuz, Nerull, Llerg (sp?), and a few others...though I'm not wild about the good greyhawk deities. IIRC I once inserted Greyhawk City (under a different name) into a campaign. And a few other misc oddities, some of which I might have picked up on while reading the Gord the Rogue books and so on. And certainly some of the Greyhawk adventures and dungeons like Temple of Elemental Evil, and a number of "generic" AD&D (and therefore greyhawk based in some ways) adventures.

Planescape - If you remember way back to some of the original monster manuals we had the Demon Princes, Arch Devils, and so on detailed out. And then later we had a MC for the Outer Planes that had all kinds of nasty baatezu, tanar'ri, and so on to play with...remember the Molydeus (sp?) - that was one bad mamma jamma. However, we never really had a supplement that did a good job of showing us all the possibilities of planar travel, portals, or that did a good job of describing the various planes and so on. I think planescape helped a lot in that respect, discussing travel between the planes, survival in and traits of the various planes, and providing ideas for adventures that would occur on multiple planes and how to incorporate that into an existing campaign or use it as the basis for a campaign (by playing as a tiefling, bauriaur, etc. So I would primarily say that it just helped to provide me with ideas and concepts that I could apply in my campaigns if planar travel was to occur. Cosmology is one thing that I certainly need to work on in my campaigns (it's just something that I don't focus on very often).

Mystara - Just used a number of monsters from the old Mystara MC, changed their history/background to fit into FR (much like they handled the 3.5e MM III where notes were given for that creature in Eberron or in Faerun, etc). I can't remember any other Mystara specific stuff off the top of my head.

Ravenloft - Almost forgot this one, I've used Van Richten's guides, Strahd, and other material in FR (but then it was built to fit/crossover into any campaign world). One of my favorite Ravenloft things that I borrowed back in 1e/2e was the race specific traits for vampires. A human vampire was different from a dwarven vampire which was different from an elven vampire and so on. They had different traits, draining effects, and other tidbits. That was really well done and seemed to fit well into FR.

Spelljammer - The only thing I borrowed from this was some of the monsters. The bionoid makes for a nice combatant and has sort of a humanoid/aberration feel to it. The zodar was always a favorite as a powerful guardian. The Colossus was somewhat interesting too. There were other monsters that I used as well, but that's enough for now. I didn't mind the idea of spelljamming and wild space, etc., but I didn't want to run a campaign where the PCs would become spelljammers or even know much about it firsthand.

In all the campaigns I've run, whether FR, homebrew w/ FR basis, or other I have generally used monsters from a wide variety of sources to try and keep it interesting and keep the PCs guessing a bit.

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Edited by - Lokahn Mandrake on 25 Apr 2005 17:54:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  02:01:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch were created by humanity.

Actually, inconsistencies are HIGHLY prevalent. Some of the older pre-1e material that I have suggests that Tzeentch actually arose with the Immaterium himself, making him the eldest, and most powerful Chaos God. Of course, the recent Liber Chaotica tomes do not support this claim, but they're so exquisitely well-written and illustrated that you can bypass that small factoid, for a time.

quote:
And I really liked the Solamnic Knights, so I tried to insert that flavor and code into the attitude and actions of some of the knights in my FR campaigns.
There were Solamnic Knights in the FR CRPG Baldur's Gate II: The Shadows of Amn. Your PCs encounter the trio (I think) in a strange Sphere during the later portions of the game. They're trying to make their way back to Krynn.

quote:
...and so on to play with...remember the Molydeus (sp?)...
Oh, very nice. The true political officers of the tanar'ri always make interesting (and complicated) villains to throw a party of green adventurers at .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  04:43:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, I don't have my materials handy, but off the top of my head:
Krynn - Some races and many creatures that were not adapted at all to FR (but I adapted/inserted them into FR myself) back in 1e/2e and I still use some of them on occasion in 3e/3.5e. Like Death Knights, Draconians, Kender...And I really liked how Minotaurs and Wild Elves were handled in Krynn, so I tried to transfer some of that flavor to FR. And I really liked the Solamnic Knights, so I tried to insert that flavor and code into the attitude and actions of some of the knights in my FR campaigns. I used the Art of Dragonlance as visualization/concept art for some of my dragons. The Dragonlance book of lairs provided some locations and ideas to insert into FR...IIRC wasn't there a shadow dragon lair in that accessory (I think I used that at some point). Some other dragonlance adventures were converted for use in FR. And I utilized some of the ideas that I read about in Dragonlance novels in my campaigns as well.

Jumping back to Draconians for a sec...

<<<EXTREMELY MILD SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVE NOT YET READ REALMS OF SHADOW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There's a story in Realms of Shadow where a younger Telamont first encounters Vaasans and aids them when they are attacked by some "mud critters" and some flying (dragonmen?). Were these supposed to be kapak draconians? I was a bit confused as I read that story, although it was a very good short story. Perhaps someone can shed light on that for me?

<<<<<<END MILD SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The dragonmen could have been simple dragonkin... I don't know for certain, though, as I still need to read that anthology.

There is a single kender in the Realms... At the end of Tymora's Luck, Emilo Haversack decided to accompany his new friends back to the Realms. I want to say there's a death knight or two in the Realms, as well, but they're locals. I'll be dipped if I can remember where I saw those, though.

quote:

Greyhawk - In some campaigns I have inserted some of the Greyhawk deities. I like Hextor, Iuz, Nerull, Llerg (sp?), and a few others...though I'm not wild about the good greyhawk deities. IIRC I once inserted Greyhawk City (under a different name) into a campaign. And a few other misc oddities, some of which I might have picked up on while reading the Gord the Rogue books and so on. And certainly some of the Greyhawk adventures and dungeons like Temple of Elemental Evil, and a number of "generic" AD&D (and therefore greyhawk based in some ways) adventures.

You know... I've read the old Greyhawk novels, I've got Greyhawk Adventures and Castle Greyhawk... And the only thing I really liked from that setting was the latter supplement, and that's just because it's utterly silly.

For some reason, Oerth has just utterly failed to grab me.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  05:51:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You know... I've read the old Greyhawk novels, I've got Greyhawk Adventures and Castle Greyhawk... And the only thing I really liked from that setting was the latter supplement, and that's just because it's utterly silly.

For some reason, Oerth has just utterly failed to grab me.

Greyhawk Ruins is a great lore filled dungeon adventure that can easily be adapted into the Realms via the numerous dungeons found in Faerun. In many ways that tome reminds me of Undermountain.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  11:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The dragonmen could have been simple dragonkin... I don't know for certain, though, as I still need to read that anthology.

For some reason, I thought they were kir-lanan gargoyles.
Maybe that's just me, though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  17:44:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

For some reason, I thought they were kir-lanan gargoyles.
Maybe that's just me, though.

It could have been those guys, too... For some reason, I keep disregarding them...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  17:54:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I use the Multiverse, I toss in what ever I want into my version of FR. Smokepowder, some tech, the planes, the monsters and races, spelljammers, etc. BUT I usually don't advance tech into modern type of stuff because then it will get out of hand and magic prevails over tech.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000