Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Resurrection Follow Up (SPOILERS)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:18:56  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A couple points regarding "Resurrection" and its possible "in-game" effects. A few folks have wondered what exactly events in the book portend for Lolth and crew. I can tell you what I understand to be the intent, though the designers obviously will have final say in a later product.` Again, this is just my understanding.

MORE SPOILER SPACE

1. Lolth is now a Greater Goddess.

2. The Lady Penitent is kind of like Lolth's Chosen (not "Chosen One," as in the Yor'thae, but "Chosen" like Cadderly is for Deneir). Of course, being a Chosen of any deity brings its price, and the price paid by the Lady Penitent to serve Lolth is more severe than most.

That's all I have.

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:20:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for clearing that up.

Greater Goddess? That should make things interesting.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  20:32:10  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greater Goddess!!!!!!Yes SB,Very interesting....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  20:37:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I find it distressing myself.

Gain in divine ranks by abandoning your worshippers?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  21:01:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Yes, you're not the only one a bit...well confused is what I would call my state at this development. I'm trying to figure out how what she did would elevate her to GG.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  22:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Thank you for clearing that up.

Greater Goddess? That should make things interesting.

Is that a significant enough change for your liking?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  23:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She took the godly essence that was Pharaun...even Ao would rend apart creation to possess that
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  00:44:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's called the "Bane Effect": you are never missed until you are no longer around. Lolth's unavailability would no doubt have led to an upsurge in her faith across drow society as they attempted to placate her, regain her favor and do whatever it took to get her back 'online'. Those who had previously wavered in their faith may have returned to it with gusto, reasoning (in drow fashion) that Lolth was testing her faithful and that all who failed her would suffer horrible, rather final fates.

Now that she is back, there would again be a further, huge upsurge in her worship among drow as she regains her pre-eminence in the pantheon and lots of drow jump on the bandwagon - for they were all fervent worshippers before her Silence, weren't they? Or at least that's what they'll tell themselves and anyone in earshot.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  01:19:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
It's called the "Bane Effect":

I thought that Bane effect was used to explain a designer/writer's whim?

quote:

Now that she is back, there would again be a further, huge upsurge in her worship among drow as she regains her pre-eminence in the pantheon and lots of drow jump on the bandwagon - for they were all fervent worshippers before her Silence, weren't they? Or at least that's what they'll tell themselves and anyone in earshot.

So, that would not only make up for, but surge past the loss of power she would suffer from the thousands of casualties from her war?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  04:03:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, its the Realms. Anything's possible!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  04:17:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hey, its the Realms. Anything's possible!
-- George Krashos

True, where there's a writer/designer's will, there is a way.
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  07:39:40  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also make a case that since Lloth is Chaotic, the upheaval she created by her transformation is very much in character. Thus she gets a promotion for doing what she's supposed too :)

My 2 cents.

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  14:49:40  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's also possible the massive influx of souls at the end of Annihilation had something to do with it
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  15:09:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lloth has become a greater goddess? Oh no............
Ever since I read Homeland(my first realms book ever) I have held an intense hatred for Lloth. And now I find out that she is a greater goddess. And to top it all, Vhaeraun has lost a hand! My only consolation is that Ched nasad is rubble and that Selvetarm is probably even worse of than his daddy.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  15:45:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

It's also possible the massive influx of souls at the end of Annihilation had something to do with it

So if you hold off on taking in souls that would normally go to you, and instead do a massive intake after a period of time, you gain power? If that's the case, why doesn't every evil deity do such a feat?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  15:46:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monch9

You could also make a case that since Lloth is Chaotic, the upheaval she created by her transformation is very much in character. Thus she gets a promotion for doing what she's supposed too :)

My 2 cents.

Monch

So, in a way Lolth gained "experience points" for good roleplaying in staying true to character?

Living proof, the goods were once gamers.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  16:07:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My 2 cents.

Monch

Her children are Chaotic as well, where are their new divine ranks? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  18:41:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, its not just devout worshippers, but BELIEF from others, that gives power to a deity. For example, I doubt that Myrkul had a lot of devout worshippers, but nearly every human feared and respected him, which generated a lot of energy for him.

Not only would her faithful be more inclined to be devout, but now many in the Underdark fear her and think of her more often than they would have. The duergar now fear her, as well as Kaanyr Vok's contingent, and what we saw was only a portion of what happened when Lolth returned from her silence and did whatever she did in other Drow cities.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  19:39:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
but now many in the Underdark fear her and think of her more often than they would have. The duergar now fear her, as well as Kaanyr Vok's contingent,

What about the series' events make you think the duergar or the members of the Scourged Legions fear Lolth more now than they had previously?

quote:

and what we saw was only a portion of what happened when Lolth returned from her silence and did whatever she did in other Drow cities.

And on the flip side, the Jaezred Chaulssin hinted in one of the series' novels that they had made progress in other dark elven cities besides Ched Nasad and Menzoberranzan. Thus, it should be interesting to see how game designers handle the many drops of information that this series provided without further embellishment.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  02:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Point seen, SB...there could be something specific to Lolth's situation though...and let's face it...if Cyric pulled this, he'd lose worshippers MIGHTY quick. (I actually wonder why anyone worships this guy...the risks have to outweigh the rewards)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  02:51:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Point seen, SB...there could be something specific to Lolth's situation though...

I'm willing to accept that. I'll just be curious to see how the designers that have been so in love with providing us rules upon rules instead of lore in various Realms books deal with theaftermath from the WOTSQ.
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  03:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick question, put here because I don't want to start a new scroll and this seemed the best place:
Do any of you think there will be a form of 'War of the Spider Queen Sextet'? Akin to the collector's editions they did with the Drizzt novels? I'm just wondering whether I should buy all the individual novels, or hold out for a combined edition - the combined being my preferred.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  04:34:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering we have only just seen the paperback end of the series, I would assume that a compilation, if they do it, would be a while in the offing. Since we don't know for sure how long that would be (I would guess at least a year from the last paperback edition), it would all depend on how badly you want to wait for your copies of the series. I know several people were disappointed by the end, but overall it was an entertaining series, and it reestablished and reenforced what has been true but not evident for a long time . . . drow are evil, even when they are the "heroes" of the story.

Overall, I'm pretty glad that I read them.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  14:33:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They might combine them into two volumes - sort of like what Vampire: The Masquerade did with their Clan series - 13 books were put into 3 gigantic tomes.

I'm sure there will be some kind of collector's edition someday!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  09:01:29  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My 2 cents.

Monch

Her children are Chaotic as well, where are their new divine ranks? ;-)

True they are Chaotic, but Lolth has Chaos as one of her Portfolios.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  14:33:41  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we think that Lolth will be moving up to be an equal to Corellon, now? Her children are just about as numerous now - since the Faerie elves have dwindled, and been devastated by two wars.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  14:57:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I do not think so, more likely lower divine rank, perhaps 16. There again it is not up to me.

Even if Drow out number all other subraces (something no one will comfirm) the followers of the children stand a good chance to increase in percentage of Drow as neither kill their children and have same fertility rate.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  07:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lolth became more powerful through some weird divine metamorphosis. it is not teh position of candlekeep sages to delve into the hows adn whys of it!!!! it is because it pleases her so. i really liked wotsq i LOVE gromph baenre... in fact i love all baenres... was kinda disappointed that quenthel went soft adn lost!

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Dobraine
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  17:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Dobraine's Homepage Send Dobraine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, personally I see no reason at all for Lolth to gain one divine rank just by moving the demonweb pits and ressurecting herself. The entire process of reorganising reality (creating a new plane) should had drained plenty of her energies and reduced her instead. And a god's divine rank is a combination of her number of followers and the mortals' perception of her power. Lolth lost plenty of followers (the fall of Ched Nassad and other drow cities) and why she should become a greater diety is beyond me.

The only god who has managed a resurrection and come out stronger than before is actually Bane who wrested the control over evil from Cyric and took tyranny as his new domain. But Bane was a genious, Lolth is unpredictable and, to tell the truth, mad. That she increased in power is insane enough but that she reshaped reality without being utterly destroyed by Ao is even more impossible.
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  21:30:30  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you've read some of my posts in other WotSQ-related topics you will know that the series really disappointed me. In my eyes, Lolth certainly doesn't deserve to gain what some contributors call a "divine rank" (sorry, no 3E deities sourcebook for me ), which I assume is an increase in status from Lesser to Greater Deity. Lolth was the cause for the deaths of plenty of her followers. One would assume that even dark elves who did not die as a result of Lolth forsaking them might have willingly embraced another deity - especially the males.

Given the situation described in the series, I expected to see Lolth weakened; instead, she grew even more powerful. Surely, some of the other drow deities should have been able to somehow profit from Lolth's silence (i.e. gain some new followers). Well, apparently it was not to be... .

Someone mentioned Lord Ao. This is a valid point. Lolth not only reshaped reality in Faerun's prime material plane, she upset the entire plane structure! And that seems even more severe to people who don't use the new 3E FR cosmology and remain faithful to the "great ring" (2E) cosmology, a cosmology that is not exclussive to Faerun, but shared by countless worlds!

Since this IS the "Resurrection" follow-up thread, is it true that Thomas M. Reid is working on a series featuring Vhok and Aliisza? When is this due to be released?

[Save vs. temptation]

I hope we see Pharaun again!!! (saving throw failed!)
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:23:15  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwizard

Someone mentioned Lord Ao. This is a valid point. Lolth not only reshaped reality in Faerun's prime material plane, she upset the entire plane structure!

Exactly. Why didn`t Ao take an interest in that?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000