Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Request for Realms lore: Impiltur and Sembia
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  02:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Jhaamdath/Chondath colonies

Trying to track down official history for these 2 nations particularly when their cities where founded in addition does anyone know when Marsember was founded as Im pretty sure the cities older than Cormyr.

Ive tried looking in

LEOF
Bloodstone lands
Forgotten Realms Adventures
Grand History of the realms PDF

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  02:54:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might have to ask Ed. Sembia, in the old lore, was mostly a hands off place left for DM's to expand.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  03:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

You might have to ask Ed. Sembia, in the old lore, was mostly a hands off place left for DM's to expand.

Ive seen the founding dates for the Coastal Sembian cities some where but for the life of me I cant remember where (And its driving me nuts looking for it)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  04:25:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Ive seen the founding dates for the Coastal Sembian cities some where but for the life of me I cant remember where (And its driving me nuts looking for it)

FRCS says Sembia won it's independance in 884 DR when Chondathan was crushed by the elves. :) Races of Faerun says Sembia was founded in 914 DR but it also has the 884 DR date.

Races also says many who survived the year of Furious Waves, -255DR, set out to colonize lands that would later become known as Impiltur,...

Unapproachable East, in the High Dale time line, says Impiltur wasn't formed until 1095. This is at odds with the FRCS because the FRCS says there was two realms of Impiltur and the 2nd one was founded in 1095. However the old grey box says Impiltur was also founded 260 years ago which would have made it 1097 since the in game date at that time was 1357. BUT A Grand Tour of the Realms, from the 2e box set, also says 260 and the in game date for that is 1367. SOOOOO I'd go with the second being formed in 1095.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Apr 2005 06:59:02
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  05:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol

Dont you just love consistency?

Somewhere I saw entries fo the actual founding dates for the Sembian cities (before they became Sembia) I remember the entry used the old name and then in brackets it had the names the Sembians changed them to after they got there indepedence)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  06:25:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lol

Somewhere I saw entries fo the actual founding dates for the Sembian cities (before they became Sembia) I remember the entry used the old name and then in brackets it had the names the Sembians changed them to after they got there indepedence)

Races of Faerun has that.... in the Chondathan entry, which is where I got my other Races info from.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  06:41:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't Krash the go-to man on Impiltur?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  06:59:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well I thought I answered it pretty well but hey if George has other comments then post away. :)

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  07:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which begs the question when did the Jhaamdathians start setting up in modern Day Impiltur? aparently it was before sometime between -255 and 1DR as Cormyr was settled by people from Impiltur

UE says that Jhaamdathan was destroyed in -255 and some survivors set up Altumbel

It then says that there are Jhaamdathan settlements in the Altumbel islands netweem -100 and 250 DR

Re: Sembian city founding dates, thanks Kuje thats one more Dragon slayed!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 08 Apr 2005 07:51:21
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  13:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found some more useful info

Lyrabar was founded in -118 and Altumbel in 163 DR

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  13:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No access to materials right now, but there may (or may not) be dates on city foundings and/or history on Impiltur in SEA OF FALLEN STARS. At least I'm pretty sure I talked about some foundings....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  20:52:58  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, try the Forgotten Realms mailing list. I seem to recall a discussion about this exact topic over there and IIRC George AND Eric boyd weighed in on some whys and wherefores. I didn't keep the threads, and I'm not at home so I can't make sure, but it's definitely worth a try! HTH.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  02:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*chuckle*

I thought Impiltur was Georges true name all you had to do is say and he'd appear

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  03:47:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah c'mon guys - I do have a life you know!

Answers to your questions can be found in that esteemed tome: "Sea of Fallen Stars" (p.5 to be exact).

The only history on Impiltur we have is "Races of Faerun", FR6 "Dreams of Red Wizards" and a few nuggets in "Sea of Fallen Stars". Of course there are the 8 or so files on my PC hard drive but they certainly can't be grouped with the abovementioned sources.

That's not to say that Eric and I don't have plans to sneak in Impiltur lore where and when we can but opportunities are unlikely to come up for a while methinks.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  04:39:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ah c'mon guys - I do have a life you know!

Life? What is this thing you speak of?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  02:40:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Dargoth,

Consistency is sometimes a bit ugly. Of course, history is... "His"story, and it all depends on who won, what they wanted to say...and not say.

Best regards,

quote:

Lol

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000