Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Hartsvale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  05:04:33  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A copy of Giantcraft have come into my hands, I never heard before of this giant's country, I found no reference to it in other realms product, 2E or 3E.. I understood that it was made in a no longer available trigoly, but.. is it fully included in the realms?

HAs anyone took care of this country? It seems for me that citadel Abdar is really near so Silver marches should really care about a giant's country just over there.... but no mentions of it at all.

Anyone with more infos?

Edited by - Skeptic on 21 Mar 2005 05:05:26

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  05:50:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those novels are going to be reissued this year..... And yes it still exists. :) Heroes and Villian's Lorebook also stated up some of those NPC's.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Mar 2005 05:50:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  05:56:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the kingdom of Hartsvale is (briefly) detailed in the 3e Silver Marches tome, and is the basis for the plot in the Twilight Giants trilogy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  06:09:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And its settlement/founding is noted in the "High Forest" chapter of LEoF IIRC.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  07:27:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I scanned through LEoF, given the history of the settlement... but I don't recall reading anything about it. Maybe I missed it the first time I read through the chapter.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  13:18:00  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is more about.. why these giants in great number are there and we never heard about them?

They don't make trade with the north settlements, they never go to war (I hope so?)..

If they become orc's ally, they would take the North and at the opposite, they could help the North destroy the orc population.. but no they stey in their little vale, happy about it ?!?!

It's why I say that this realm, product, trilogy doesn't seem to be really included in the Realms but more a stand-alone thing pluged into it. Before this trilogy, what was there at that location ? I don't have my old grey box with me, but I would be curious if there is a mention of it in there. (Absolutly nothing in 2E campaign setting)

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  23:12:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On reflection, it might be noted in the "Netheril" timeline in LEoF.

And yes, Skeptic, you are correct - Hartsvale has existed in a vacuum for a long time, and no recent official designer who has worked in the North has bothered to 'bring them into the fold' until LEoF.

I've never read the novels but have the Giantcraft accessory. Not a particularly FR-feeling book.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  23:29:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

On reflection, it might be noted in the "Netheril" timeline in LEoF.

And yes, Skeptic, you are correct - Hartsvale has existed in a vacuum for a long time, and no recent official designer who has worked in the North has bothered to 'bring them into the fold' until LEoF.

I've never read the novels but have the Giantcraft accessory. Not a particularly FR-feeling book.

-- George Krashos

Page 99, -325. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  23:57:50  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When I first read the Giantcraft (last week) I tough, cool.. let's find a way to provoke those giants tribes, and the settled North will become history.. what a nice campaign idea.. but when really thinking about it, I fear that player's who know a bit of the realms will laugh at me with my "forgotten realm of giants" just 50 miles north of citadel abdar ;)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  04:46:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Did you expand on any specifics for Hartsvale in your timeline, George?

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  16:22:02  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talking about your signature Sage, is there any "canon" info on who may be the Twilight Spirit ?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  16:29:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Talking about your signature Sage, is there any "canon" info on who may be the Twilight Spirit ?

Troy Denning's trilogy that ties in with Giantcraft.... Those novels are supposed to be rereleased this year. Or Villian's Lorebook.

The Twilight Giants
The Ogre’s Pack by Troy Denning
The Giant Among Us by Troy Denning
The Titan of Twilight by Troy Denning

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  23:07:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Did you expand on any specifics for Hartsvale in your timeline, George?

No, I just gave the place a founding date. I suppose I could have created some 'events' for the place - a nice little war with Citadel Adbar sounds right and conflict with the orcs et. al. - but I tried to avoid making up too much stuff. My voice carries zero weight in terms of pronouncement of 'canon', so until a designer chooses to latch onto my musings and put them in a product (as Ed Bonny so very graciously did with my North Timeline), I'm just like any other fan generating their own stuff.

In "my" North Timeline, I'll probably go back and revise it again once CoS II is out, and likely look over a few things such as Hartsvale's interaction with the Realms since its founding date. I am however in "Timeline Drag" at the moment - trying to slowly input a lot of data into my consolidated timeline, culling all of my own "whole cloth" stuff from previous versions, and as a sideline working out the historical progression of the East (in my spare time!).

As I've noted before - won't have anything to show for it till end of the year given the work involved and time constraints.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  06:01:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Troy Denning's trilogy that ties in with Giantcraft.... Those novels are supposed to be rereleased this year. Or Villian's Lorebook.

The Twilight Giants
The Ogre’s Pack by Troy Denning
The Giant Among Us by Troy Denning
The Titan of Twilight by Troy Denning

As Kuje stated, Giantcraft seems to be the primary source for information on the Twilight Spirit.

There was some unofficial information presented on the PSML at about the time the trilogy was still considered "popular". I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  13:57:11  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that The Twilight Spirit was a titan.I may be really wrong on this.Also don't forget that one of Mask's Chosen comes from this book.Heck he even made it into the Avatar Series...

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  15:33:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, you might be right about that.

The original listing I have of ALL the Titans makes a particular reference to a power in Giant myth.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  20:02:51  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You now that I think about it.Tavis had to conquer the big bad villian in each novel.One was a two-headed ettin...The other escapes me,but I believe that in the last installment.He had to fight The Twilight Spirit who was a titan....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  02:04:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Skeptic,

haha, you make a very good point. When you see silly things like a proposed, massive giant nation, 50 miles north of Citadel Adbar, you do have to stop and think for a moment: what is going on here?

It seems that Master Krashos and Master Sage have put it out there: it was an after thought. Hopefully it will get a great deal of attention, as it should get it.

I wonder if the 5e Sword Coast Adeventurer's Guide has anything on it (I don't own that).

Best regards,

quote:

When I first read the Giantcraft (last week) I tough, cool.. let's find a way to provoke those giants tribes, and the settled North will become history.. what a nice campaign idea.. but when really thinking about it, I fear that player's who know a bit of the realms will laugh at me with my "forgotten realm of giants" just 50 miles north of citadel abdar ;)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000