Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt Timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  22:06:43  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I received my copy of The Crystal Shard from RA Salvatore's e-signing, and you know what! There's a TIMELINE IN IT! *rejoice*

Homeland
Begins 1297, Ends 1328

Exile
Begins 1338, Ends 1340

Sojourn
Begins 1340, Ends 1347

The Crystal Shard
Begins 1351, Ends 1356

Streams of Silver
Begins 1356

The Halfing's Gem
Begins 1356, Ends 1357

The Legacy
Begins/Ends 1357

Starless Night
Begins/Ends 1357

Siege of Darkness
Begins/Ends 1358

Passage of Dawn
Begins/Ends 1364

The Silent Blade
Begins/Ends 1364

The Spine of the World
Begins 1365, Ends 1369

Sea of Swords
Begins 1369, Ends 1370

The Thousand Orcs
Begins/Ends 1370

The Lone Drow
Begins/Ends 1370

The Two Swords
Begins 1370, Ends 1371

Edited by - SirUrza on 05 Apr 2005 01:33:05

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  22:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's awesome. Thanks so much for sharing, SirUrza.
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  22:47:48  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow wouldn't that make Catti like sixty or seventy?

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  22:55:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elven_songstress

No..... she wasn't in the 1st three...... So she would be like late 20's early 30's.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 04 Apr 2005 22:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  23:23:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elven_songstress

Nah, she's about Wulfgar's age, remember? So she's 30 or so.

That makes Drizzt 74, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  23:24:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that the timeline only shows novels...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  00:42:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What else was it supposed to show, Wooly?

It's been done because R A Salvatore never puts that little "Captain's Log, stardate ..." bit at the start of his book/chapters.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  00:43:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

So I received my copy of The Crystal Shard from RA Salvatore's e-signing, and you know what! There's a TIMELINE IN IT! *rejoice*

Sea of Swords
Begins 1369, Ends 1390

I'm assuming this should be "Ends 1370".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  00:49:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

What else was it supposed to show, Wooly?

It's been done because R A Salvatore never puts that little "Captain's Log, stardate ..." bit at the start of his book/chapters.

-- George Krashos

There was at least one Drizzt Do'Urden short story. It's not listed.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  01:33:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sea of Swords
Begins 1369, Ends 1390

I'm assuming this should be "Ends 1370".

Yeap.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  01:37:38  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe it's a sign of change?

But in the Dark Elf reprints they had Q&As with Bob, Crystal Shard is missing that in favor of the timeline. Maybe now they'll date stamp future novels from here on (they know his novel dates are a problem after all.)

I'm wondering if they have anything special for the rest of the reprints now.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  01:42:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wonderful of you to share this information. There have been quite a number of questions asking for a timeline for the last Drizzt trilogy. This information will allow for such questions to have proper answers now.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  01:43:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, which one is robbing the cradle?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  02:18:10  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Wonderful of you to share this information. There have been quite a number of questions asking for a timeline for the last Drizzt trilogy. This information will allow for such questions to have proper answers now.

Now that the timeline is in print, it might be possible for Bob to date stamp his works like others have started to do.

quote:

quote:

So, which one is robbing the cradle?

Hmmm... Catti.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  03:21:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now that the timeline is in print, it might be possible for Bob to date stamp his works like others have started to do.

I'm curious do the authors always do that or is it done in editing sometimes? There appears to be no set pattern even now as some works still appear sans dates.

quote:

Hmmm... Catti.

Go Catti Robinson.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  03:44:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go Catti Robinson.

<singing> "And here's to you, Cattie Robinson..." </singing>

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  04:37:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
<singing> "And here's to you, Cattie Robinson..." </singing>

Great, now we both have dated ourselves. And as for timelines, I hope we get the second half of the timeline for the WOTSQ novels now that the last novel is out.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 05 Apr 2005 04:38:49
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  15:35:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such a dreamer SB. Only 1 good resource a year. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  16:02:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Such a dreamer SB.

That's me, only thing missing is the Supertramp song playing in the background.

To those that visit Salvatore's site. Has he mentioned a timeline for the upcoming A/J novel? I'm going with the belief it is set in current Realms time.....but wanted to check.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  16:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm curious do the authors always do that or is it done in editing sometimes? There appears to be no set pattern even now as some works still appear sans dates.

I was asked by my editor to include dates at certain points in Maiden of Pain.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 05 Apr 2005 16:52:53
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  17:10:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin
I was asked by my editor to include dates at certain points in Maiden of Pain.

Thanks for this inside information. I don't know about other scribes, but I am can be very obsessive when it comes to dates in novels.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  21:14:43  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm. 1370 to 1371 for the last trilogy, unfortunately introduces some continuity issues, then again, any date for it introduces some continuity issues involving the formation of the Silver Marches, the return of Bruenor to the throne, and other issues involving plot hooks created in the 3E FRCS (set in 1372 DR) and Silver Marches (presumably also in 1372 DR), and my own attempt at reconciling some of them on the WotC website article on A Hstory of Many Arrows.... So George how do you think we reconcile some of them....

And yep, it would've been nice to have all of Salvatore's work (including stories in Dragon and the various anthologies dated -- though most of them are not terribly challenging to date given what we now have)....
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  00:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, where do you guys think Drizzt's next adventures'll lead? I seriously doubt Gerti and Obould'll get theirs...Tos'un'll probably make a nuisance of himself and I shouldn't be surprised if they end up going into the Abyss and meeting Errtu again (hopefully destroying him for good)
But please no more orc sex...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  01:11:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Hmmmm. 1370 to 1371 for the last trilogy, unfortunately introduces some continuity issues, then again, any date for it introduces some continuity issues involving the formation of the Silver Marches, the return of Bruenor to the throne, and other issues involving plot hooks created in the 3E FRCS (set in 1372 DR) and Silver Marches (presumably also in 1372 DR), and my own attempt at reconciling some of them on the WotC website article on A Hstory of Many Arrows.... So George how do you think we reconcile some of them....

I was just thinking the same thing, Tom. We had it mapped out pretty well, but I think that this new version of the timeline is going to require a bit of lateral thinking and ... *gasp* ... maybe even some "this 2E source has now been invalidated by information in X, Y, Z". Let's chat about it.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  04:33:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

So, where do you guys think Drizzt's next adventures'll lead?

The end of Two Swords pretty much mapped it out. The quest for Colson, and then the hunt for the lost Dwarf city. I HOPE Colson is done completely in short stories so we can get to the good stuff right away.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  04:35:59  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Hmmmm. 1370 to 1371 for the last trilogy, unfortunately introduces some continuity issues

I gave up. As long as the novel department and game(?) department don't have to answer to someone and PAY FOR continuity mistakes, they'll continue to happen.

Hence, the shutting down of the FR Novels forum, WOTC didn't want to hear about it anymore. (Yes I know there were other issues too, but I feel some of the "anger" was generated by continuity mishaps.)

Go to Top of Page

snowybeagle
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  04:52:57  Show Profile  Visit snowybeagle's Homepage Send snowybeagle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

As I recalled, Drizzt's age got shortened considerably because of TSR changed the lifespan of the drows in the new edition.

Does anyone have a comparison between of his history between the 2 editions?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  05:00:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowybeagle

Hi,

As I recalled, Drizzt's age got shortened considerably because of TSR changed the lifespan of the drows in the new edition.

Well what was posted here matches up to what is on the WOTC page here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/fictionlist&tablesort=1

Now I know between 1e and 2e elven life got shortened and I think it got shortened even more in 3e. But RAS uses the 1e material mostly still. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Apr 2005 05:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  05:39:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowybeagle

Hi,

I don't know if they've changed it or not, but the early editions of The Crystal Shard said he'd lived in the Underdark for over 200 years before coming to the surface. That was later chucked out the window, when the Dark Elf trilogy was published.

But that change happened entirely within 2E.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Apr 2005 05:39:23
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  17:46:20  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go TSR. :)

Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  23:15:31  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatore should've put the books in order. Reading the books from Dark Elf Trilogy on thru is going to make so much more sense to me than to my friends who have every FR book, and every DL book. I am going to try to get every Eberron book myself but I mean for them they said it was kind of confusing at first and then the Dark Elf tril came out and that filled in holes for them. But Drizzt only lived in the underdark for 40 years or so. Then it was several months when he went into the surface.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000