Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Liriel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alparon
Seeker

Turkey
67 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  09:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Alparon's Homepage Send Alparon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i've finished the "Starlight and Shadows" trilogy. I think it was a nice set of books but still it might have been better. But i have some questions:

First of all; what happens to Liriel and Shakti? I hate those "think it yourself" endings. Do they have an other adventure or what? Do they appear in the "War of the Spider Queen" series?? How does Liriel die, or is she still alive?

The second one: how does Liriel summon Lloth's avatar?? is it a power of the Chosen one? or can every high ranking drow priestess cast such a spell(plus its mentioned over and over that the highest gift of Lloth is "Zin-carla" but summonning the goddess it self would be a higher gift I believe

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  12:34:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strand of Prayer Beads

Is one way an avatar can be summoned (more so under 2nd Edition rules then 3.x but still posible).

Wish/Miricle also could serve to summon an avatar should the DM so wish to allow it to work, so not one does not need to be Chosen in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  17:25:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alparon
First of all; what happens to Liriel and Shakti? I hate those "think it yourself" endings. Do they have an other adventure or what? Do they appear in the "War of the Spider Queen" series?? How does Liriel die, or is she still alive?

Neither appears in the WOTSQ series. Liriel is alive and well. Below are some of Elaine Cunninghams' comments on the book's aftermaths originally posted on the WOTC's novel forum in October 2003:

quote:

It's true that Liriel has abandoned Lolth, and she hopes to have seen the last of that particular goddess.

Quite a few readers assumed that Liriel had given up on Eilistraee, or vice versa, mostly based on Shakti's taunting comments in their last encounter. Shakti had no way of knowing whether or not Liriel had lost Eilistraee's favor, and her comments were simply the sort of thing an evil drow might say to a hated rival is she wanted to twist the knife a bit. Liriel did not make a conscious decision to follow Eilistraee, but she has been using some of the moon magic Qilue taught her. It would be interesting to see what choices she might make, and what place she might find among Eilistraee's priestesses. When the story ended, Qilue's followers were none too happy with Liriel, so that path, should she choose to follow it, might be a bit thorny.

It's not entirely accurate to say that Liriel is an "honorary member of the Witches of Rashemen." To the best of my knowledge, there are no non-Rashemar Witches of Rashemen. On rare occasions, outlanders have received some instruction, but I'm guessing that even Sylune Silverhand was not taught the deepest secrets.

When Windwalker ended, Liriel had found two new companions: Thorn, a lythari warrior referred to as a Champion of Eilistraee, and Sharlarra, an elven thief and apprentice wizards.

As I told DarkBard (and all the other folks who have emailed), there are no plans at present to continue Liriel's story. But the timing of this trilogy -- five years between the second and third book -- has taught me not to rule out any possibility. If the folks at WotC decide to continue Liriel's adventures, I'd certainly be interested. It would be fun to explore Liriel's life as part of a kick-ass sisterhood.

That said, I suspect that it will be a while before new books with (non-Drizzt) drow characters are scheduled. There have been a LOT of drow-related novels and game products over the last couple of years.

She mentioned a bit more about the history of Liriel's new companions. If you wish me to post that information, just let me know.

I hope this helps.

SB

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 16 Mar 2005 17:26:09
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  18:04:42  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This just reminds me of a GenCon seminar (Elminster Speaks) where, it semms, Eliminster likes to refer to Liriel as "the little drow sex kitten".

That guy just cracks me up!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  23:04:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

She mentioned a bit more about the history of Liriel's new companions. If you wish me to post that information, just let me know.

I hope this helps.

SB

I should like to see that. I don't recall if I got it or not -- likely not, as I never did anything on the novels forums over there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  00:47:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I should like to see that. I don't recall if I got it or not -- likely not, as I never did anything on the novels forums over there.

Besides get banned you mean?

Below is Elaine's information on the ladies that make up the Sisterhood Trio that Liriel is now a part of.

quote:

Here's a bit about Sharlarra's history: during one forray into the the Prime Material Plane, her family was slaughtered by slave hunters and she was captured and sold. She eventually ended up in Skullport, where she was rescued from slavery by Qilue's followers. Sharlarra made her way as a thief until she met Laerel Silverhand, who took her to Waterdeep as an apprentice wizard. Sharlarra's experience with drow made her inclined to help Liriel, whom she quickly recognized as a kindred spirit.

There is something in Sharlarra calling her back to her ancestral home, which is another reason she so quickly decided to follow Liriel and Fyodor to Rashemen. Indeed, Fyodor, who knows the old tales of his homeland, had heard tales of star elves, and he invited Sharlarra to return home with them. (Did anyone catch that passage? When he commented to Sharlarra that she would find a welcome in Rashemen, where tales are told of elven maidens with violet eyes?)

and

quote:

I've given quite a bit of thought to Thorn's backstory, but as much as I'd love to talk about her, it would be hard to do so without giving massive spoilers for possible follow-up stories.

Here's what is known: she is a lythari -- a subrace of elves that are natural wolf-elf shapeshifters. She's a Champion of Eilistraee. The story doesn't really define what that is, or tell how she came to be one, but a conversation between Laerel Silverhand and Thorn suggests that Champions are few and far between. Thorn is a loner -- a "black wolf," as Zofia calls her. She is not happy about that. She is estranged from her people, but it isn't revealed whether that's her choice or theirs. She can still travel to the lythari demi-plane, and some of her fellow lythari come to the final battle, so it's clear that she has some connection to her people. The big question is why Thorn, who clearly longs for a "pack" of her own, has been working alone. That I can't answer without revealing mysteries best left for future tales.

In gaming terms, I see Champion of Eilistraee as a paladin kit. Thorn serves Elistraee in what I call her "Diana aspect:" the lythari is a hunter for the Huntress. Thorn is an unlikely paladin in many ways -- consider her brutal justice against the drow poachers -- but she embodies the harsh reality of the hunt and the grim practicality of Nature.

Her personality owes a lot to her lupine nature. A few years back, I did a lot of research into wolves -- natural, real-world wolves -- when contemplating a book about lycanthropy. Thorn acts and thinks the way I imagine a humanoid wolf might behave.

The concept in the story about wolves and ravens hunting together is something that came from this research. That created a lot of resonance for the idea that Thorn and Liriel, despite their vastly different natures, might be able to work together.

Okay, here's one hint: remember when Thorn told Liriel that ravens sometimes call wolves to the hunt? Perhaps one of the reasons Thorn hooked up with Liriel is that Fyodor's "little raven" can find the one quarry that has always aluded Thorn.

Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for, but it's the best I can do at present.

Source: Elaine Cunningham, WOTC boards, October 2003.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  02:20:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Besides get banned you mean?

Ah, thank you for all that.

And for the record, the novel forums were closed mere weeks after I joined those forums.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  02:59:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah, thank you for all that.

You're welcome.

quote:

And for the record, the novel forums were closed mere weeks after I joined those forums.

Of course they were. It appears then that you are what is called a harbinger.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  03:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that information, Sirius--surprisingly for me, some of it I haven't read before.

And Alparon, remember that Shakti is also alive and well at the end of Windwalker.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  03:57:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Of course they were. It appears then that you are what is called a harbinger.

I have a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters here, and I'm not afraid to use them!

Ironically, I remember seeing the fuss about it, and thinking (rather naïvely, obviously) that the closing of those forums would have no impact on me -- after all, I never went there, so how could it affect me? Famous last words, ne?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  04:21:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Thanks for that information, Sirius--surprisingly for me, some of it I haven't read before.

You're welcome. Elaine Cunningham has been wonderful throughout the years in providing information like that when she felt comfortable doing so.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooley Rupert
Ironically, I remember seeing the fuss about it, and thinking (rather naïvely, obviously) that the closing of those forums would have no impact on me -- after all, I never went there, so how could it affect me? Famous last words, ne?

About as bad as someone saying, "What could possibly go wrong?" right before a plan is executed.

And as for Shakti, I wonder how she's doing during Lolth's absence.
Go to Top of Page

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  19:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the Starlight & Shadows books! I finished the last book about a month ago. I greatly enjoyed Elaine Cunningham's writing style a lot and admire Todd Lockwood's art that adorns the novels in the series. I plan on picking up other works by Mrs.Cunningham has soon has possible, has I can only imagine the adventure that awaits to be discovered! In fact it is because of those books that I am interested in Forgotten Realms and started collecting the game material and other novels. It would be nice to see the adventure of Liriel continue has well. There is so much wonder and magic to be found in the lands of Faerun and teh Forgotten Realms in general how long could she stay away this time?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000