Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  00:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

The interest is fueled when someone is friendly and polite. You are both, which often is too often a rarity online. I look forward to reading some of your work come May.

A very nice blog. My sympathy towards being separated from your wife. I had to deal with that myself several years back.

My thanks and my thanks. Yes, it's very unpleasant, but it's only for a couple more months.

quote:
Always nice to see an author with a sword in his hand. The artist's skill with a sword is something I prefer to know before commenting on his/her work.

My wife, incidentally, took that picture. The concept is inspired by an old RAS pic he had in his novels. The sword's actually mine, and while I've never actually fought an opponent with broadswords, I am a fencer (foil) -- not as accomplished as RLB, of course, but still.

quote:
And as for Ill eviscerate you in fiction! Sounds like something someone named Chaucer once said.

I've been known to make that threat to people at times -- and been known to follow through.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  21:59:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a brief update (about a month has gone by -- it was time!): RotDII is hitting (some) shelves, though the official release date is Tuesday, May 3, in most cases. I wish I could comment more on the other stories, but since I haven't procured a copy myself, that's a little problematic.

Anyway, from what I've been hearing about how other people are reacting, it's a great anthology, filled with some strong talent.

I won't plug my own story (arrogance), though I'll answer questions. I will, however, plug all the stories of my fellow contributors. Seriously speaking, we've got some strong writers here.

quote:
I am a fencer (foil) -- not as accomplished as RLB, of course, but still.

Now I do saber too. It's totally choice.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

RaVeN101
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:40:54  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN101's Homepage  Click to see RaVeN101's MSN Messenger address Send RaVeN101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey Erik

you said earlier that you got to choose from a dozen or so prestige classess to write about. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind saying what the other class choices were.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  05:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RaVeN101

you said earlier that you got to choose from a dozen or so prestige classess to write about. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind saying what the other class choices were.

I honestly don't remember. I know Purple Dragon Knight was one of them, but that's the best I can do without digging out the letter. I'd recommend asking one of the other Young Dragons. James M. Davis might know -- he and I both did ghostwalkers in our novels, so I think we were part of the same group, but he also did a Blood Magus, so. . .

Oh. One small announcement. It seems a rather devoted fan (O-Love, it seems) has obtained (somehow -- from Amazon?) what appears to be the cover art for what appears to be Ghostwalker.

http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_fig.html#Ghostwalker

Oh, and it seems Master of Chains is on there too.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 06 May 2005 05:54:04
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  06:54:51  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I honestly don't remember. I know Purple Dragon Knight was one of them, but that's the best I can do without digging out the letter. I'd recommend asking one of the other Young Dragons. James M. Davis might know -- he and I both did ghostwalkers in our novels, so I think we were part of the same group, but he also did a Blood Magus, so. . .

Geez, I remember Purple Dragon Knight as well, but that's about it. And yeah, my original submission was for the Ghostwalker book, featuring a ghostwalker and a blood magus, but Phil took to the villain a bit more (which happens alot with my bad-guys/ darker POV preference) and then came Bloodwalk for the Wizards. Not so much a story change, just a shift in focus that I was more than happy to oblige.

Cool cover Erik, that Swanland guy does some great work!

--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  00:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

Cool cover Erik, that Swanland guy does some great work!

--James

I heartily agree.

And I'm so looking forward to Bloodwalk as well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  18:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just (like, 3 minutes ago) finished reading The Hunting Game and was absolutly amazed! One of the best short stories I have ever read! Kudos, Erik!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  22:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

I just (like, 3 minutes ago) finished reading The Hunting Game and was absolutly amazed! One of the best short stories I have ever read! Kudos, Erik!

My thanks, Melfius.

What part worked best, do you think?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  14:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The poor guy losing his marbles at the end really grabbed my attention. It almost seemed like a fantasy-based Twilight Zone episode. Great!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  20:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

The poor guy losing his marbles at the end really grabbed my attention. It almost seemed like a fantasy-based Twilight Zone episode. Great!

And there would be my Ravenloft tendencies surfacing.

Cool -- I'm glad that worked. I was worried some readers might not understand what happened to him. Going mad is not something you can describe just as, "well, he went mad," with any intellectual integrity. It's the kind of thing you need to sorta experience.

"We all go a little mad, sometimes."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  05:15:59  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just gotta say it cause I love the Wheel and I'm annoyed that we didn't get a reason why the new planes have changed. So cool beans, Erik, for referencing the Wheel in RotDII!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  14:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as someone who 'goes a little mad' on an almost-daily basis, it sure worked for me!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  19:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I just gotta say it cause I love the Wheel and I'm annoyed that we didn't get a reason why the new planes have changed. So cool beans, Erik, for referencing the Wheel in RotDII!

Thanks! I'm glad someone caught that little detail.

I thought my reference somewhat low impact -- I didn't go into a great deal of detail about the planes and whatnot. It was more just a shoot-in comment to ground us in what I feel is important to the world.

quote:
Well, as someone who 'goes a little mad' on an almost-daily basis, it sure worked for me!

Most excellent. There's a trifle bit of madness (or more than a trifle) in pretty much all my work -- and we'll see if Alin makes it or not. Who knows? The Editors and the NDAs are like the Dark Powers.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  20:31:52  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Thanks! I'm glad someone caught that little detail.

I thought my reference somewhat low impact -- I didn't go into a great deal of detail about the planes and whatnot. It was more just a shoot-in comment to ground us in what I feel is important to the world.
Cheers

So basically you stuck it to WOTC since you didn't like the planar changes either. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  00:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So basically you stuck it to WOTC since you didn't like the planar changes either. :)

Shh... Not so loud!

But seriously, technically speaking, "The Great Wheel" is an ambiguous phrase.

On the one hand, it is, I believe, a name for Tymora's realm, according to one of the sourcebooks (which one escapes me at the moment, and I'm a ways from my library at the moment -- either Faiths and Pantheons or Player's Guide). The second meaning of the word, however, is the great wheel of planes, which all of us 2nd edition junkies would root for.

So it's an ambiguous reference that means what you want it to mean -- you're the reader, after all. I just wrote the darn thing.

And if anyone asks, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. You and I, though, kuje. . . so long as we understand each other.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:33:54  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're clear Erik. :)

And I don't want you to get in trouble so I'm dropping this.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We're clear Erik. :)

And I don't want you to get in trouble so I'm dropping this.

Bah! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha ha!

Then again, Ed of the Greenwood might swoop in with his personal army of Chosen to smite me where I chuckle or -- worse -- the dreaded Phil the Uber Dragon might appear and give me a second acidic bath. <shudder>

Seriously, don't worry about it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question:

SPOILER for "tHG"

How many folks caught on that Ryla was a dragon before her unveiling? When in the narrative? Anything make you doubt it?

Seriously -- responses may well be helpful in my next rather mysterious piece.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:58:26  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a question:

SPOILER for "tHG"

How many folks caught on that Ryla was a dragon before her unveiling? When in the narrative? Anything make you doubt it?

Seriously -- responses may well be helpful in my next rather mysterious piece.

Cheers

The strength and red hair kinda gave it away. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  02:39:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Editors and the NDAs are like the Dark Powers.
In regard to them being inherently evil, or the fact that they are largely an unknown element...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  03:08:44  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
W/regards to tHG

I caught on pretty quickly. The first description pretty much clinches it. That followed by the stuff about the stories about her and how old they are, and then the final, unquestionable thing for me was the description of the green dragon's body. You could tell by that alone that she was a you know what, and the rest of her personality and physical description told me for certain she wasn't a member of one of the good varieties.

Anyway, the story was a fun read,
-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  06:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

The Editors and the NDAs are like the Dark Powers.
In regard to them being inherently evil, or the fact that they are largely an unknown element...?

The latter. Think: Dark Powers of Ravenloft.

quote:
The strength and red hair kinda gave it away. :)

quote:
I caught on pretty quickly. The first description pretty much clinches it.

Yeah -- in an anthology specifically about Dragons? Absolutely.

Watch: next time I'll put in someone who's clearly a dragon who ends up being. . . not a dragon. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

quote:
the final, unquestionable thing for me was the description of the green dragon's body. You could tell by that alone that she was a you know what, and the rest of her personality and physical description told me for certain she wasn't a member of one of the good varieties.

Oh yes. That's the kind of insane brute force that almost entirely kills one's ability to disbelieve (though it's still at least possible at that point to deny it).

It's the kind of thing where you go "Gee, Alin, why haven't you caught on yet?"

quote:
-Blue

Thanks! Any particular favorite part?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  08:09:31  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
the final, unquestionable thing for me was the description of the green dragon's body. You could tell by that alone that she was a you know what, and the rest of her personality and physical description told me for certain she wasn't a member of one of the good varieties.

Oh yes. That's the kind of insane brute force that almost entirely kills one's ability to disbelieve (though it's still at least possible at that point to deny it).

I think that's what my mom calls 'testosterone poisoning.'

quote:
-Blue

Thanks! Any particular favorite part?

Cheers
[/quote]

Well, I rather liked the various characters. I was particularly fond of the Lathanderite cleric. I knew it couldn't possibly turn out well when he ended up dead. When the party cleric goes down it's time to pack things in, head to the nearest town, and start looking for a temporary replacement-healer.

I liked the premise of the story too. It seems like the sort of game that evil dragons would play to occupy the centuries. At least when they're not protecting their hordes and killing other dragons and stealing their hordes and eating royal virgins and whatnot.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  18:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

quote:

I think that's what my mom calls 'testosterone poisoning.'

It's so true!!!

quote:
Well, I rather liked the various characters. I was particularly fond of the Lathanderite cleric. I knew it couldn't possibly turn out well when he ended up dead. When the party cleric goes down it's time to pack things in, head to the nearest town, and start looking for a temporary replacement-healer.

A mistake my parties always made. Funny, we never had a healer for very long -- I think the whole assumption was "Build up our offensive capabilities SOOOOOOOOO much that we kill all the baddies before they get more than 1-2 hits off." That strategy never worked out too well.

quote:
I liked the premise of the story too. It seems like the sort of game that evil dragons would play to occupy the centuries. At least when they're not protecting their hordes and killing other dragons and stealing their hordes and eating royal virgins and whatnot.

Oh, that's the sequel -- where we find out that Alin's really a distant relative of the Obarskyrs and, well. . . But I shouldn't spoil it. And besides, that could get real dirty, real fast.

I pulled that trick on my players once, making them have to foil a plot involving a Sharess church, a ritual, and an "anointed virgin" who turned out to be, well, a man. The looks on their faces -- precious.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  01:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I enjoyed your short story and your exert for your book, I have to agree with Blue Sorceress, I actaully caught on rather quickly and I remember asking myself " why isn't anybody else catching on to this?" hehehe I knew it was goig to turn out badly for them even though I liked the characters.

I'm looking forward to your book, Thanks for the good reads!!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000