Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 DMs: Magic item stores in your campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  23:38:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

In your FR campaigns where are magic items sold and what do you allow your players to buy and how much of it?

Anyone created any hard and fast rules for this?

How many potions of cure Light wounds can a temple sell with out running out of stock etc

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  23:47:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

In your FR campaigns where are magic items sold and what do you allow your players to buy and how much of it?

How many potions of cure Light wounds can a temple sell with out running out of stock etc

Never ran into this problem. I always infered that potions were genersted as a matter of course of devotions. That is at leat one out of three clerics in a temple would make one, that a store would be built up of them. The same for scrollls of healing.

A hard and fast rule, I will offer this. Each temple has avaibable potions four times the members in temple it has scrolls three times the number of members. Now being given a potion or scroll, oe even being allowed to purchase one is situational determined.

Edited by - Kentinal on 30 Jan 2005 17:59:57
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  00:46:35  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as a item isn't a powerful item or excessive quanities, I tend to be fast and free with PCs purchasing magic items.
Plus, a good number of my campaigns have the PCs based from a location that has a good market for such items.

My Drow campaign is based out of Menzoberranzan, so as long as they are looking for a "common" (as determined by me) item, it will either be available via their house, the city market, or a trip to Mantol-Derith (sp?).
My other FR campaign, the PCs are fosterlings of a Mage-Priestess, who has a portal to Sigil within her keep.
My Rokugan OA campaign, is where the PCs have to really try and find magic items. Healing potions are "common" via the temples, but other items is harder to say, especially since no one has tried to find magic items to purchase yet (party is only 3rd level).

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  10:39:56  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

in one campaign i dm my players regularly visit "kolatīs magical emporyum", a shop that sells mostly spell components and arcane paraphernalia, but also some potions and, rarely, things like keogtoms oinment. his healing potions cost sometimes more than double their "list price" (of course thatīs out-of-charakter-knowledge, so my players grudgingly buy them ) and most of the other magic itmes are overpriced too. kolat is a merchant from zakhara (sp?), so my players wonder what in beshabas name he does in tilverton (pre destruction). several clues indicate that he has contacts among zhentil keep, which adds to the wariness and distrust of my players.
he is fat, sweats constantly (and tries to cover it with heavy perfume), speaks with a painfully highpitched, squeaky voice, is a natural born haggler and a royal pain in the a**.
in short: fun to play!

...and to cut a long story short: buying and selling items is something done on an individual basis. things like magic shops are either sham or work only on small scale ("buy a dozen potions of superhealing??? sure my friend..." )

quote:

no hard&fast rules. it all depends on what my players want to get, how hard they try, whether or not i think they should pay dearly for it and whether or not it furthers the story. magic item "trade" is a great tool to regulate your players wealth and always an "instant story hook".

quote:

i believe there was a writeup of a temple in either cormyr or (more likely) the dalelands where there was mentioned how many healing potions they would sell to any given visitor. i think it was somewhere in volos guide to the dalelands, perhaps the abbey of the sword in battledale? (idhtbifom)

your question was about the size of a templeīs inventory stock of healing potions, but i think thatīs only one factor among many. my answer would be "it depends":

- on the size of the temple (more priests available means they need less potions, at least under normal cirumstances)
- where the temple is situated (in a large city like arabel or somewhere in the wilderness)
- what god the temple belongs to (lathander temples tend to have more healing potions than temples of shar)
- how the pcīs behave themselve
- whether or not the pcīs can accredit that it is in the best interest of the temple to support them (by selling potions)
- whether or not other recent visitors bought the last potions
- etc...

tauster
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  16:21:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster
i believe there was a writeup of a temple in either cormyr or (more likely) the dalelands where there was mentioned how many healing potions they would sell to any given visitor. i think it was somewhere in volos guide to the dalelands, perhaps the abbey of the sword in battledale? (idhtbifom)

I checked pages 42-44 detailing the abbey in the tome. I saw no mention of any limits on healing potions being sold. It only mentioned on the bottom of page 43 about the abbey being "generous" with healing spells and potions to certain individuals.

Anyone else read different? It's pre-coffee minutes for this scribe and I might have missed something.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  10:08:32  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked both volos guide to the dalelands and to cormyr several times and canīt find the statement, so I think iīve only surmised it. sorry for leading you on the wrong track!

[muttering]...it MUST be somewhere in those books, just have to find it...[/muttering]
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  17:38:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

I checked both volos guide to the dalelands and to cormyr several times and canīt find the statement, so I think iīve only surmised it. sorry for leading you on the wrong track!

No need for an apology. Your statement about limits sounds familiar to this scribe as well. However, I also can't place a source for it.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  18:02:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me, that at times supplies were low, perhaps a time of war or diease.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  16:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Potions don't tend to be too hard to come by if they're things like minor healing, neutralise poison etc. Others depend more on the deity served at the temple. A temple of Talona, for example is most unlikely to be handing out neutralise poison.

As for magic shops, they don't really exist outside of major cities. Only Waterdeep and Silverymoon that my players have been to have had places where they could actually buy magical items, but no songle place has very much on offer. I have no real hard and fast rules for this but I don't see that anywhere small has the capacity to sell magic items and even those shops that do sell them focus more on trinkets, artefacts and other treasures, for example.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000