Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaign Diary - I Want your Two Cents
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  05:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hrmmm - okiedokey :) i know its suicide but im evil

Ok. the party is now ECL 6
Grimlock Barbarian (4)+2 Ecl- Flametoungue +1 intelegent (Silence, cure mod wounds, Aid once per day) - Breastplate - Great Axe (back up) - Razored Large Sheild -

Gloaming Rouge(4)+1 Ecl - Mighty Composite shortbow +1, Arrows of Drow Sleep poison (15 left), Mithril Chain shirt

Drow Male Cleric(4)+2 - Fullplate +1, Heavy mace, Large Sheild,

NPC Drow Male Fighter (5)+2 - Adamantine Breastplate +2, Greatsword+1, Dust of Traclessness (for getting away), 3 potions cure moderate, 3 potion cure light, 1 potion bullstrength, 1 potion jump, masterwork hand crossbow + 20 Masterwork bolts (Region).

Thats the party off the top of my head

ive made the following changes
- No Gease limit unless they decide no - in which case they could try their luck instead with the Matron's gaurds (prolly easier) and go back whenever (but this would cause Shendrizz to attack them. Then again he may realise the Matron Sent him on a suicide mission...)

- Miagmin now sorceror 4 - Has Comprehend language -
- Salamander now just ordinary
- fire mephit is basic
- Genasi is level 4 fighter

- Thinking about making the Genasi encounter "possibly" diplomatic (provided they found the amulate in area 23 which allows the wearer to comprehend ignian)

- Removed mummy rot - All mummys now use weapons - (Cleric has a mace, paladin has a bastard sword +1, lesser mummies use scimitars.

Locked Secret door to Area 16 - Made it the retreat point for Maim to join the Skeleton Warriors in that Area if loosing badly.

Put Loads of Loot in area 16

Removed Yellow Mould from dungeon entirely
(all that Con Drain would slow the mission down)
- Replaced with far more aplicable Brown mold (attracted to heat)

Left Yellow Mold in Area 15, Made it a Narrow Awquard space big enough for only 1 person to fit inside.

The fire encounter probably would make sence if diplomatic, but it would drain away possibly the funnest combat in the entire dungeon. if it was so i may take the diplomacy out of it.

:) Now Kentinal here are a few thanks for you to mull over -

- The Party all have AC's of 20 or more (the Barb has 22)
- Shendrizz is a secret worshiper of selvetarm (whom Malakor also worships) and may betray his house for that reason alone (fullfilling his own goals of worshiping his own diety)

I hope this helps you in your thoughts - Ive got to have this mission ready by tmorrow, So i would apreciate a hasty reply :P

"Wisdom is the gift of patience"
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  14:49:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fend Of Greathold

hrmmm - okiedokey :) i know its suicide but im evil

Ok. the party is now ECL 6

:) Now Kentinal here are a few thanks for you to mull over -

- The Party all have AC's of 20 or more (the Barb has 22)
- Shendrizz is a secret worshiper of selvetarm (whom Malakor also worships) and may betray his house for that reason alone (fullfilling his own goals of worshiping his own diety)

I hope this helps you in your thoughts - Ive got to have this mission ready by tmorrow, So i would apreciate a hasty reply :P

Well sounds better, still hard but not as hard.

Not sure if reply is timely. Shendrizz does have a reason to change sides, based on religion and perhaps the deadly mission sent on. That though should in part depend on how long the party gets along.
Hope it does go well.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  06:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok. im mid mission now, and the players are on a break sooo...

Update so far

- I realised the barbs AC is Actually 24!!! O_o The lowest AC is shendrizzes.

- They Easily Defeated my Mummy Cleric (he cast 1 innefective spell)

- They had some Trouble with the mummy paladin and the room with the lesser mummies and mummy warrior, but this was solved when turn undead was cast and all the lesser mummies turned against the other mummies. Malakor then Commanded them to all walk into the lit brazier in the rooms center and well... that was the end of the lesser mummies - Other than that. a Grapple Check from the Barb sent the mummy warrior into the Brazier too - and that was the end of him. The Mummy paladin died last thanks to a high AC, but was Virtually inneffective - 1 Attack just isnt enough.

- They Failed to find any secret Doors in the passage beyond that room, but did find the end one by fluke (The Grimlock investigated on is own and rolled a natural 20).

The Teifling Sorcerer Sent them running back down the passage with a Flaming Sphere before going into gaseous form and fleeing to room 16 where the party Took him and his skeletal knights on - to great success.

The Teifling died second round because Shendrizz tumbled through and took him to near death before finishing him with an attack of opportunity from his spell casting (trying to Re-Gas himself)- after that the skeletal knights did no damage thaT Potions couldn't fix and died horribly - loot included a 2000 gp valued jeweled headband (they didnt know the real price) which the Grimlock player REFUSED to give to Shendrizz as a gift for his Matron (most unwise). However, Shendriz AND Malakor both tried to intimidate him into giving over the headband, and he won against both of them. i dno how to handle this. Shendrizz doesnt wanna die over a headband, but at the same time they dont want to annoy the matron.

They Retrived the key and some minor loot from the end room in the crypt and headed out to Retrace old ground in the caverns (they encountered and Fled from the Grey ooze in area 3)

Hrmm. thats it so far. Even without the rouge (whos coming back before we start again in 10 mins) They seemed to Dominate all my monsters AND leveled up.

Im thinking of Teaching them a lesson in Pain by doing the following

- Increasing the Fire portal encounter in the following ways
* Small Fire elemental upgraded to Medium
* Fire Salamander Tacked on 1 Level of fighter (to make him uber)

- Title fight encounter (with Mortae'gar and fire elementals) upgraded to medium sized Elementals.

- Two Tannarukks instead of 1. (WAY to much Exp though dont ya think?)

:) ill give a report at the end - so far it dont look like anything fatals gonna be happening to them any time soon though.

BTW - The Gelatinous cube encounter went humerously well as I covered the Cube in brown mold , they failed a spot check and Went up to investigate (the Grimlock wiped off some mold only to get burnt by Acid) and subsiquently dispatched my pressious cube.

Ive Also Given them the impression that Araumycos is Fiendishly intelegent and shouldnt be treated lightly (oozing out grey ooze and Crystal ooze if investigated to closely - players hate loosing gear)

Anyway. ill post again soonish.

Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  11:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOOOOOk... That was educational

Were now on Third Break of a Solid 12 hour Marathon of DND - And the following things happend...

- The party Stormed the Foyer of the Temple taking on a Shambling mound. It Killed the Cleric and sent him flying to the corner where he eventually Stabalised , Also a Carrion Crawler emerged to Ambush Shendrizz who was standing at the back, Paralysing and slowly nibbling away at him - Stoneface then singlehandedly mauled the Shambling mound Before rushing over to injur the Crawler who was then decapitated by a Vengful shendrizz.

- They Completely missed the fire room (also ignoring the Subduel damage from the Brown mold) And failed a knowledge Religion check for the symbol of Kossuth. However, they did miraculously pass (on a natural 20) identifying the Order of Burning Might insignia above the mouldy bed of the paladin. AND found the mouldy Chest and Journal under it - which they couldnt read because it was to decayed.

- They Then Proceded to enter my Tanarukk's Room and fight him and his orcs (who all pretty much died from soundburst). Fighting the Tanarukk was risky, but marred with poor rolling on my part. On average he would hit with his bite and miss with all but 1 axe Stroke. This left the party relitivly unphased by it's Mightyness... (lets see how they handle Vhok and his entire bodygaurd ... hehe...he)

- They missed the secret entry to the temple room, but did find a room with a statue and cerimonial chests. however, shindrizz set of a trap and suffered damage from the resulting fire ball. drinking a potion to heal himself. In the chests they discovered some gems and an amulate of Vermin (preying mantis) that Weisel (the gloamling) ended up taking.

- Now for my Fire fight... I expected this to be difficult at best but what happend in the end completely threw me.
* The Mephit Charged the gloamling, criticalling for 11 damage.
* the Genasi Flared the Fire portals burning edges and blinded All the Drow AND the gloamling.
* The Grimlock Mauled the Genasi in a few easy strokes.
* Shindrizz Criticalled my Precious Fire Salamander with his +1 Greatsword for 30 damage (after some minor scratches) - and that was the end of him.
* The fire elemental set malakor on fire, but he Claimed create Water was 1 action and he could attack. i promptly dismissed his evidence for the sake of "realism" (I told him, either create water OR attack) - he opted for water.
* In the end, Everything but the Miagmin Sorcerer was dead, and Malakor's heavy mace +1 had been Melted to Magical Slag by the miagmin's fiery Torso. Eventually, Stoneface was Forced to Charge in (by his peers) And use the "expendible" (little did they know +1) Battle axe they found on the Tanarukk (which i described as a demonic looking troll / orc / creature they have never yet seen) And, Luckily He Decapitated the poor litte magma man.

Now with the key to the temple Altar in hand from the fier room, and loads of experiance to burn - the party Has Decided to Rest -

Now , My Dilema is that - Mortae'gar is in the temple studying his netherscroll - And Should, in all rights Get away in that 8 hours of Resting. but... If i do it, they players will never see him and that would be bad for role play - To that end i have decided to make Mortae'gar "So engrossed" in his Study of the scroll that he hasnt left. Also, I am Changing his Elemental body Gaurds to incorporate 2 Fire Salamanders aswell.

I hope these changes were correct - :) once again, im just trying to show you all how it Ended up going - Dont flame me for posting useless arcana.

:P Ive learnt a powerful lesson - NEVER underestimate your Players -

Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  14:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that was that - DM session Concluded - mission completed

Here is pretty much how the last part went -
*The players had a winge about me not letting them rest, so in the end i caved and let them sleep in the bedroom. In turn, i increased the CR of the Temple encounter by including 2 Fire Salamanders.

*Players entered the temple, I made Mortae'gar Drink a potion of Fly, and a nasty Surprise - a Potion of Fire breath - effectivly making him a mini dragon.

*elementals Engaged Shendrizz to No effect - They couldnt Peirce his AC - there for in future i will use Creatures that CAN hurt AC 20 or more - Enmass.

*Weisel Put a Salamander to sleep with Drow sleep poison arrows - so much for him.

*Weisel and Malakors spells and Arrows took a heavy Toll on my Clerics spell casting ability, and in the end i Just Flew in an Engaged Weisel (flying at 40 feet) with my Flameing Magic Chain +1 (the Symbol of Kossuth)

*I "Did" however, manage to cast hold person on Stone face, to jack up the challange of the party - however, his AC was still over 20 - and i ended up directing my wrath on Shindrizz and Weisel.

*Weisel suffered 17 damage from 1 Chain Swing and the full brunt of a fire breath potion (halved for evasion), ending up on -7 after falling 40 feet ontop of the very paralysed stoneface. However, malakor soon healed him and he healed himself some more with potions after.

*Realising The Salamanders were both dead and the elementals were innefective, mortae'gar makes the conclusion he will be dead very soon, and makes haste using his escape plan (out through a secret door using a ring of invisibility and through araumycos) to hastily exit my mission.

*Party Loots Altar and heads home as Araumycos once again swallows the Temple of Kossuth whole.

*Shendriz and Malakor See the matron, who is unimpressed that among their share of the loot she did not get the item she fancied (a Beutiful jeweled head band which Stoneface intimidated everyone for looting rights)

*Shendriz Tells the party of Ammarindar and how it is a reputed breeding ground for Tanarukk legions and that the Teifling and half dragon could well be agents of Khaaryn Vhok.

*Shendriz leaves warning the players not to do dealings with the other houses... or the matron will know.

*Party Falls just bellow standard wealth "averages" for their levels.

All in all a Successful yet dissapointing evening (They managed to survive)

--------

Now for My questions on Strictness

A - Can Dieing people drink potions with the aid of Freinds?

B - I Had pity on Weisel when Mortae'gar Knocked him from the sky (he would have been on negative 11 had i not shown mercy), this is because the character recently made this char after his previous ones death. Would you have let him die?

C - Experiance - I find that I give my players experiance fighting Easy battles against enemies that cannot even hurt them half the time, Should i Simple Eradicate these lesser creatures? or just level them up accordingly?

D - The Grimlock - Ok... I read the book, My Player IS playing his Grimlock correctly - Over suspicious, untrusting, blunt, to the point and difficult to work with - But i dont think if i asked, he would tone it down. today he took the headband for himself, even when a matron demanded she get this headband. The player playing shendrizz did his RP correctly to... Untrusting, Aloof, helpful when it benefited himself AND he knew when not to pursue a foolish battle (hence the party Ran from the Weapon disolving slimes and showed caution with the miagmin) - BUT he didnt fight the Grimlock for the matron's Headband.

*Should i have shendrizz killed so in future the players will fear the matrons more?
*Should i have Shendrizz Tortured in a Drider pit so that next time the players talk to him he will hate them all? - even become an enemy?
*Should i have Shendrizz Change alignment and go Drasticly Selvetarmian and Rebel against his own house??

It is unlikely Shendrizz will be played again as the player who played him (who was testing the Waters of dnd and ended up enjoying it) Will probably be written in as a casual character in future.

what should i do?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  15:32:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"loot included a 2000 gp valued jeweled headband (they didnt know the real price) which the Grimlock player REFUSED to give to Shendrizz as a gift for his Matron (most unwise). However, Shendriz AND Malakor both tried to intimidate him into giving over the headband, and he won against both of them. i dno how to handle this. Shendrizz doesnt wanna die over a headband, but at the same time they dont want to annoy the matron."

Well if Grimlock falls unconsious, just take the necklace is one idea the NPC can consider. Also depending on whom owns potions, could perhaps trade them. Refusing to heal is of course an option the Cleric can use.

"Now , My Dilema is that - Mortae'gar is in the temple studying his netherscroll - And Should, in all rights Get away in that 8 hours of Resting. but... If i do it, they players will never see him and that would be bad for role play - To that end i have decided to make Mortae'gar "So engrossed" in his Study of the scroll that he hasnt left. Also, I am Changing his Elemental body Gaurds to incorporate 2 Fire Salamanders aswell.
"

Well there is another option. Mortae'gar might perpare for the visitors during that 8 hours. Or perhaps even try to capture the players while they are resting. You do face the problem of believablity as oposed to desire for RP. Mortae'gar fleeing might be a very good idea, however he might also believe is strong enoug to take on the pary, either by word or deed.

As for how it is going, sounds a little better then I expected, though certainly hard on the party. You also indicate that you had some very bad rolls and they had some very good ones. One thing confuses me is how a level 4 Cleric could command 6 lessor mummunies (They should have had at least one hit dice "as skeliton" and Level 4 Cleric can "At any one time, the cleric may command any number of undead whose total Hit Dice do not exceed his level. " which is 4 Hit dice at best. Not sure if you made error in summery or playing. Not that at this point in time worry about correcting the error (if one occured) that might have effected the results of that battle.

Two links you might find useful.

Encounter calculated, compares relitive power of party and monsters.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/fiend_factory/elc/encounter_calculator.htm

This of course is only a guide, depending on play and dice encounter might be much harder or easier.

Also this might be useful in calculation how many experience points to award.

http://bssteph.irtonline.org/gaming/dnd/dnd_exp_calc.html
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  16:21:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*Party Falls just bellow standard wealth "averages" for their levels.

All in all a Successful yet dissapointing evening (They managed to survive)

--------

Now for My questions on Strictness

A - Can Dieing people drink potions with the aid of Freinds?

"A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature’s throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature."

quote:

B - I Had pity on Weisel when Mortae'gar Knocked him from the sky (he would have been on negative 11 had i not shown mercy), this is because the character recently made this char after his previous ones death. Would you have let him die?

Well if you allowed to die would have taken care of the necklace, then raise (costing him a level). Depending on overall damage inflicted (if above average for example) I most likely would not have killed. This though is a judgement call by the DM that ran the adventure. Would it had been fair to let die because of character choiese, how fair the dice were, etc.
Also it can depend on player reaction, some players do not take their characters dying well and the game might lose a player.
quote:

C - Experiance - I find that I give my players experiance fighting Easy battles against enemies that cannot even hurt them half the time, Should i Simple Eradicate these lesser creatures? or just level them up accordingly?

The simple monsters still can use party resourses making the over all mission harder. It though depends on how easy they are to defeat. Also such monsters can serve to help characters have a sense of type of battle most likely are coming. If going to be undead themed or fire based, so that they might better plan for spells and equimpment most likely most useful. This again is a judgement call. Boring encounters should not be played. Avoid many (if any ) one round battles.

quote:

D - The Grimlock - Ok... I read the book, My Player IS playing his Grimlock correctly - Over suspicious, untrusting, blunt, to the point and difficult to work with - But i dont think if i asked, he would tone it down. today he took the headband for himself, even when a matron demanded she get this headband. The player playing shendrizz did his RP correctly to... Untrusting, Aloof, helpful when it benefited himself AND he knew when not to pursue a foolish battle (hence the party Ran from the Weapon disolving slimes and showed caution with the miagmin) - BUT he didnt fight the Grimlock for the matron's Headband.

*Should i have shendrizz killed so in future the players will fear the matrons more?

That is hard to say, if a player liked playing Shendrizz that might be a reason to keep alive. Also it depends on which character was the most powerful. I do not see any reason at this time to kill Shendrizz by the Matron, however can see good reason the Matron might want to kill Grim.

quote:

*Should i have Shendrizz Tortured in a Drider pit so that next time the players talk to him he will hate them all? - even become an enemy?
*Should i have Shendrizz Change alignment and go Drasticly Selvetarmian and Rebel against his own house??

What crime did he commit to be punished? Of course a Matron does not need to have a reason. There might be some afinity with the party Cleric so might not become foe of all, however Grim better watch his step if they meet again.
There should not be rebellion unless he can get a power postion good enough to defend himself from the Matron.
This of course could be fleeing the region as well.

quote:

It is unlikely Shendrizz will be played again as the player who played him (who was testing the Waters of dnd and ended up enjoying it) Will probably be written in as a casual character in future.

what should i do?

Will player become a regular one and planing to roll up another character? You have a few options.
Give player Shendrizz to play, making him a PC.
Let Shendrizz appear from time to time as an NPC, do not forget to add levels for things he achieves out of sight of the players.

Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  16:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:) thanks for the tools. now i got to figure out how to use em eheh.

Im gonna take a break from the Ammarindar plot, and Focus more on the "If you deal with another house... The matron will know" one ;-)

I have an idea - The Mercinaries hire Stone Face and Weisel to Aid House Jaelat down in Blingdenstone Fight Reclamationist Soldiers from Silverymoon working with the exiled surface Svirfneblin

This could go many ways - either they will go there and attack the house jaelat members, Or they will help them - going against the matron who seems to be reluctant to loose posetion of her new tool malakor.

Hrmmm... Were Rats are So weak though. Maybe i might Make Lyconthropy a Real threat to the players - contracting it will spell almost certain loss of character without healing - and beladonna doesnt exist in the underdark.

that might be abit to extreeme though...

- The other thing is alot of Earth creatures. I like that. high AC's and Loads of HP. Maybe also the possibility of an Earth gate and another encounter similar to the encounter with the Fire Genasi... just tougher. :) Actually. thats a great idea. im usin that one!

- I plan to have House Jaelat's Base of Ops for Supplies and restock. thus ill make this mission a real ball breaker. i may include some more shambling mounds. the one they fought before was tough. I look forward to using Xorn. must say i never have used Xorn before.

- Blingdenstone is Essentially the ruins of a Gnomeing City yes? in that case wouldnt it be of substansial size and Rather Cavernous because if Bebliths (huge spiders) could Stalk around in there... youd expect it to be rather large.

- I dont plan to have any deamons in the mission, though i may include a Beblith in a deeper Section and make some more appearances with Tanarukk's - Trying to capture this beblith... bring it back to Vhok to add to his legion maybe. i dno. sound to far Fetched?

- ALL that aside, ill stick to the Dont betray the matron theme and throw in a hint of "Ammarindar". But im gonna make those Missions with the Gates and the Planar Parties a regular in my group. the Water one should be Tough eventually. but i dont want to think to far ahead.

Im going to do my missions one at a time. Not think So far ahead i loose control. This way, We Stretch the distance between Games of Dnd (to an unbearable limit) and at the same time get quality missions that make sence with the plot.

:) Kentinal, all the rest of you guys, thanks for your advice you have all been brilliant (special thanks to kentinal) - im going to keep a log of my Progress and Ramblings in this thread (allowing im allowed to) And i Still would apreciate what anyone has to say and even additions to my thoughts. i love inspiration, i feed on it.

:) your Freind - Fend.

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  16:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hrmmm... Were Rats are So weak though.

Unless he's an Nth level fighter, sorcer etc.
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  23:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Woody said, remember that you can give humanoids class level.

Create a few level 3 fighters (if they where originally humans) and you will have a CR6 creature (IIRC). This can be done with other creatures also and is part of the beauty of 3E (or 3.5)

I wouldn't always kill players because the dice call for it- the whole point of D&D is for you to have fun aswell as the players. Believe me, its no fun when every session a character dies! Also the DMs job is not to kill players off, but rather to create obsticals for the players.

I would type more, but I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  23:17:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

As Woody said, remember that you can give humanoids class level.

Also awaken animals, undead, etc. can gain class levels.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  03:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ill tell you what i know of Blingdenstone, and you tell me how YOU would make it a challange for a gang of 7th level adventurers (ECL)

In the First main Areas will be a maze. It is inhabited by 18 were rats, including their leader Seldig (rouge 6, Wizard 5)

the encounters will be spaced out over Various rooms, with Traps and ambushes set up to benefit the were rats. So im thinking on the following class levels -

* 8 level 3 Fighters
* 2 level 4 Clerics
* 6 level 3 rouges

Ill add more when im thinking better. please, If anyone here knows anything bout blingdenstone, i would be grateful.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  04:45:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blingdenstone is a city no more, last I checked. Almost anything could live there now. "Eventually Lolth’s hatred of Drizzt and all things associated with him proved too strong. A massive invasion force attacked Blingdenstone, and embarked on an orgy of death and destruction. Only a very small band escaped to take refuge in Silverymoon and spread word of this tragedy."

As for plan, 18 to start does not sound too bad, depending on how many met at a time. I do worry some about the "leader Seldig (rouge 6, Wizard 5) which if with guards might be a rather hard thing to take on. You indicated that some leveled so might not be as hard, there again you do not have a good workable team as of yet. The gloamling might never realy become a team character, certainly has not yet based on your reports.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  07:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, i worry about the gloamling character. the thing is he shoulda been dead by now... I had words with the player who plays Malakor about everyones RP and openly confessed that the Gloamling would have Diead at the halfDragons hands had it not been for Selune's mercy (;) woo i got to play Selune!)

Anyway - At BEST the Gloamling is atleast playing its chaotic role. I have noticed, They all do roleplay their parts... for better or worse.

yeah i did a comprehensive set of research on Blingdenstone and this is all i found on the net -

Blingdenstone Warpick
Many of these are now in Drow hands following the overrun of Blingdenstone
+ Corrosive Heavy Pick
Caster level 10th; Spells - Acid Fog, Acid Storm, Melf’s Acid arrow or Storm of Vengeance
Market Price 8,300 ;

• The deep gnome community of Blingdenstone is founded in the Underdark region of the North.

Temples in Blingdenstone

Ruby in the Rough (Temple to Persana)
The Steadfast Stone (Callarduran Smooth hands)
The Trillimac Stockade (Baervan wild wanderer)

BLINGDENSTONE
Zelzpassa Duskryn (fd, *Rog/Clr) of Menzoberranzan, leader of the raiders here

pg 36 of Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark

Introduce spell gems in early

Make the players Wary of Gems… Especially red ones

Other than all this - I have the underdark book, and ive learnt what i can from that. I also now Know that a REAL map of Blingdenstone is in the book "Drizzt's Guide to the underdark" which is Reputedly a Terrible peice of Litrature Worthy of being thrown onto a dung heap and set alight (well... thats the drift i got from alot of Reviews and forums) -

Edgeways - If anyone here could help me out with an idea of the map i would be eternally greatful.

As for my thoughts on those notes i took from the internet -

Im thinking of Giving some of the drow Slaves Corrosive picks. but my Beef is - If the Drow are only using Xorn's to get the Gems, why would they have slaves? - to that end, i was going to hide a Corrosive Pick in an Airpocket in the submerged section, or in the back near the earth elementals.

The Date i might put in a carving somewhere...

And the Referance to the Temples might give me good base for some "ruined" rooms the players might find like

"By the looks of things, this may have once been a temple. albeit it has long since been desecrated. bellow the rubble and bones that litter the ground you can discern a Great Carven Stone Symbol" or somthing of little meaning. i was hopeing on useing 1 or two of the temples to add spice to the mission.

Also, I was thinking about Dungeon Ecology and i came up with this -

- Blingdenstone would be a haven for rust monsters in its lower Sections

- Faerezz infused minotaur traps in the labrynth may be a nasty surprise

- Giant Cockroaches infesting a section may proove to easy a challange unless in hoards

- Oozes in the Waterway is definantly the way to go

- Lycanthropy should be dissabled for the duration of this mission in order to keep things running correctly

- Svirfneblin Reclamationists from silvery moon should be toned down to make an undertone in the mission. maybe ill have a few as Slaves in the drow encampment and make a passing note on their recent capture, maybe turn it into a moral decision.

- I should reduce the presence of mages for this mission due to the fact the last mission was magic heavy - instead i should focus on Great Strength to threaten my players and put the fear of Lolth back into them.

Suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  13:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok - ive done some mapping and came up with my OWN blingdenstone (NYAH FR!)

- Ok. the Labrynth is simple, using some inspiration i put minotaur heads with gems in (from someone elses campaign) but the gems are really spell gems. all in all, the maze isnt hard to navigate unless you get really lost. I put a few scarce rat encounters in, and Made some of the bulls heads so that if the horns were pulled down or the gems were attempted to be pryed out, d3 Faerarezz infused minotaurs would appaear and attack.

- The way out is hidden via an illusionary wall near the Were-rat nest.

- Next i ditched the underwater segment and went staight to the city. i think my city is rather good, it has the ruins of an inn, a tavern, a temple, 2 plaza's a shopping plaza, 2 Gaurd rooms a Craft hall, a Store room and it is on multipul levels and heights without being to complex. ;) and i put pillars in the halls. i put in some Traps too for when the gnomes prepared for the drow attack. but they are old and just waiting to be set off.

- I dno what encounters to have in here. Ive got the following ideas for notes for the main city :

- Cave Ooze, Black pudding would be good - Maybe also alot of Grey ooze (Because there is a weapons locker at the duskryn camp furthur in) -
- Xorn - the players not knowing the xorn are on patrol for spell gems may attack one if they saw it wandering down a passage way. but one of my Party members actually "can" speak Terran - so maybe they can pry information out of it (like directions to the camp) -

- Mercinaries from Silvery moon, I plan to have a group of Elven Archers working with Svirfneblin at the top of a staircase to shoot down at the heroes as they enter the ruins, they heard a rumor that Drow reinforcments were ariving and would put a stop to them.

- A Purple worm - yes... a purple worm - theres an Area i made that used to be a workshop, but now its got Various rifts Broken into its floor, i was thinking, due to the proximity of the worm writhings, maybe a purple worm would have got in - But the thing about this is It May not have gotten past the spellgems. So... maybe ill scrap it.

- I dno - What Else is Evil that would Dwell within the City and could have gottn past the Spellgems and / Or the Labrynth?

----------

in the Back caverns ive established the Duskryn camp

i plan for a quick word with her personally about the job they have been employed for, And then for her to retire to her Living quaters, Giving the players directions to the shop and the mines.

Heres my idea for Plot so far : Ogremochs Bane has been a Plague on the Drow here since it appeared. Xorn have been entering the rocks and never returning with spell gems. this leads them to belive that the Damn Mist is dominating their Xorns (who were dominated by them in the first place) - Thus, Zezpassa wants the players to journy to the back of the caverns and find the source of Ogremochs bane - This is actually a Lesser portal to the plane of Earth. Surrounded ofcourse by Varied Gaurdians (it would have to be a Strategic fight or death would be assured) - Im thinking Maybe just a single HUGE Earth Elemental, possessed by Ogremochs Bane, And the Rest of his minons on the other end of the portal - but anyway. The players must then Go through the portal, Locate the missing Stock Pile of spell gems (with the help of some "Boots of Xorn) - Then Exit and Burry the Cavern on the plane of Earth in which the Portal is located.

But i Dno what they could Detonate the Portal with. Maybe A special Scroll of "close portal?" i dno - either way - with its Essence cut off Ogremoch's bane should no longer hinder mineing opperations in Blingdenstone (It will be A Tough Fight though to kill all those Terran Creatures, and prolly alot of Gem Loot on the Plane of Earth too)

The Next task will be to Go collapse the surface tunnel leading to silvery moon. but i havent planned this far ahead.

I dont wanna make Blingdenstone a total warzone. i just want it to feel like it has something more behind it, while still feeling like the players are passing through the hostile remains of an abandoned city full of landmines!

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  15:02:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The average Drow city has two slaves per person. Some of the slaves are troops, others could be overseers of other slaves.

The Corrosive picks would be in hands of over seerers or guards, it is a weapon more so then a mining tool. As to what type of slaves the Drow would be using as guards/over seeres is up to you.

A lot of Rush monsters might be a problem, remember they use touch attack so the AC of anying in area will have a much lower AC if waering metal armor. Also unless had mines for metalic ores as well as gems, they do not have much food source. Oh I am sure there would be a few about.

Those are a few thoughts for now.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  15:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrmm thanks Kentinal - Im thinking of including about 12 Slaves working the mines, all of them Bugbears and 2 Tanarukk overseers. the players may find it wise to interview the tanarukk's if Malakor wants to Bluff to them that hes there to check on production. (because he isnt a mercinary, hes simply tagging along to burn time)

Hrmmm... as for everything else, ive ditched Rust monsters. they just dont fit. i want to concentrate on the Terran, Reclamation, and Drow angles rather than the random monster in the spare room feel. + Slimes are Everywhere and make alot of sence too. However, Mold will not make many appearances like it did in the last mission.

As for Food, Always useful are Large Clumpings of edible fungi. though the players ususally Pack Dozens of trial rations.

hrmmm... thats about it. please gimmie your thoughts on this, i got 2 weeks to make it before the next major session... (i get to play a game this weekend as a player finally! so that should be a new experiance)

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  16:45:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silverymoon ambush might become too much a distraction, the party might head in that direction. Hard to say from here. Also the party treally does need both the good forces and evil forces upset with them.

In any case magic generally would not work as good (if at all) because it being a different plane. As for closing it or buring there certainly can be a scroll or earthquake. The job might be handed off to an NPC as well.

Certainly by omens or other methord that all out attack on Guardians has low chance to succeed.

Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  22:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Early days mate :P

- i... might... scrap the portal come to think of it now. Its far to complex and maybe im making portals to common, especially when i dont even have the planar hand book!

- The silverymoon ambush would be an attempt to represent the forces of good were fighting over this city. and the presence of elves would give the players some deep seeted hatred (Drow) - but if you think its too much,i may remove them...

- Do you want the maps? look. ive made them and i can post the links on here :P maybe Then you can Go and make a suggestion list saying "i think there should be a "Blah" in room 13. :P if not its ok...

- Do you think that "Ogremoch's Bane" Would have a substantial form that the players could defeat instead? or maybe would it be to much for their level?

- ... hrmm... Do you think maybe a Beblith would still be trapped, stalking the lower caves? or would they all be long gone...

hrmm thats all the questions i can muster forth for Yall this early in the morning.

Adios for now.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  22:29:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

yeah, i worry about the gloamling character. the thing is he shoulda been dead by now... I had words with the player who plays Malakor about everyones RP and openly confessed that the Gloamling would have Diead at the halfDragons hands had it not been for Selune's mercy (;) woo i got to play Selune!)

Have been thinking about this.

There is one thing you might be the factor of griendship or at least graditude for still being alive. Chaotic, suspisious makes it a little harder to form trust, however many Chaotics do very much make friends and will defend them. Chaotic is more about world view as oposed to local view. Grimlock's player might be encoraged to understand that he like the Drow needs a good reason of self interest before combating/oposing those willing to travel with him.

There is no way to tell a player they are playing a character wrong (except for tech reasons), however there can be advise offered to advise a way to keep a PC from not being killed by party members (directly or indirectly).

Grim needs at least some degree of friendship, just in case he needs somebody to pour a healing potion down thoat or even return to rescue him if caught one way or another. Grim certainly should have a keen self interest, however should learn quick that there is a need for companions that will come to aid. This only accomplished if he displays at least some williness to aid other members of the party one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  04:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hrmm there is one thing i know will happen if Grim Dies -

You see, this is just my feeling, but Stone Face and Weisel have Bonded... In a way relating to both being judged as inferior to the drow and the fact that Stone face understands he needs weisel to do the things he cant (like finding and disarming traps. or Delivering sneak attacks)... I dno if this is as Strong a Bond as "the Grimlock Hunt bond" should be. But i know that if Stoneface was Dieing, Weisel would fly over and pour a potion down his throat... I know this because he Hesitated doing it for Malakor the Drow... but did it because of peer pressure from Shendrizz at the time. but in Reality, a Dead player shouldnt be able to speak - hence, Im going to implement another rule.

If a player is dieing, or dead. i will tell them to leave the room. They Dont know then if they miss out on loot, Or what happens. etc.

It also means that they wont be able to tell other players to heal them (Often this involves alot of threatening like - If you let me die, my next character will do what they can to spite you).

- Btw , on that braketed note - My players do use threats alot on each other... and i dno how to stop it. I mean, if someone kills someone else , or refuses to try to save them or res them out of roleplay... The players will make a new char and Avenge their old chars death and then probably the same cycle of repeats will happen until the Storyline is completely destroyed. and i dont want that to happen.

Has this happend to you?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  05:35:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

hrmm there is one thing i know will happen if Grim Dies -

You see, this is just my feeling, but Stone Face and Weisel have Bonded... In a way relating to both being judged as inferior to the drow and the fact that Stone face understands he needs weisel to do
the things he cant (like finding and disarming traps. or Delivering sneak attacks)... I dno if this is as Strong a Bond as "the Grimlock Hunt bond" should be. But i know that if Stoneface was Dieing, Weisel would fly over and pour a potion down his throat... I know this
because he Hesitated doing it for Malakor the Drow... but did it because of peer pressure from Shendrizz at the time. but in Reality,
a Dead player shouldnt be able to speak - hence, Im going to
implement another rule.

Well a bond should develp slowly, if at all. A bond however is needed of some mutual interest to keep the party together. Yes it is true a dead character should not talk or even stoned, unconsious. Thoug the new rule might be a problem. It also might be needed.

quote:

If a player is dieing, or dead. i will tell them to leave the room. They Dont know then if they miss out on loot, Or what happens. etc.

Yes this prevents meta-gaming, but also can prevent players enjoying the telling of the story. For example the party members are all alive and one finds a scroll and reads it. Most of the time a DM trusting the player will let all players know what is in the scroll, trusting that the players will not let their characters know what is in the scroll until the one character tells the other ones. Some DMs choose to pass notes to the player of a character instead of letting all players know what is going on. I do not know what the breakdown is and note passing between players, without DM review, can cause more problems. At times leaving the room does make sense, but often it can cause a mistrust as well, that it is better to allow the player to stay in room. Just remind them that they are dead/incapcitated and their character can not know what has occured, unless another character tells them. The players often can provide advice, remind another player about a staff of healing, that the character remembers that another recieved, while the players are trying to figure out what actions to take. At higher levels and increased wealth it becomes easy to forget minor items. Also rules discussion to a limited extent should be permitted.
The rule that should be imposed, IMO, is if players come up with an idea that the characters could not know, that such should be prevented from working.
quote:

It also means that they wont be able to tell other players to heal
them (Often this involves alot of threatening like - If you let me die, my next character will do what they can to spite you).

This is a player problem and must be strongly discouraged. Instruct your players that they are playing a role, that if death occurs a replacement character can not have any resentment because of last death. On your part try to minimise death, however if you see any player acting out of revenge for a prior death invoke divine warth. Make sure your players know that you will not permit retaliation for the bad acts of prior encounters. As to how you need to do it it depends on the players. It might be as harsh as saying "the act was so offending that divine fire reaches though the shy and consusumes your body and soul, please roll up a bew level one character. "

quote:

- Btw , on that braketed note - My players do use threats alot on each other... and i dno how to stop it. I mean, if someone kills someone else , or refuses to try to save them or res them out of roleplay... The players will make a new char and Avenge their old chars death and then probably the same cycle of repeats will happen until the
Storyline is completely destroyed. and i dont want that to happen.

Has this happend to you?

Yes this has happened to me. The key is to get players that will seperate themselves from their characters from themselves. It depends on the players, try to remind them they are actors. That sometimes the characters they are playing are such that if they meet in Real Life they soon would want to kill. D&D is not about winning, D&D is about the journey. There are no level limits one can become anything, the idea is to enjoy the journey because there never realy is a place that one can say I won the game. There is no winning, oh there can be body counts that some think that matters and use as a score of a sort, however this is not winning and sometimes could be losing.

Players and DMs often get locked into the idea of winning, This is to be avoided. It is about the adventures, sucess and failure included. It is about working together for a common goal, be it for good, evil or just success. How you manage to achieve it with your players depends on how players view the game. You might need to get their view to change a little bit about how to play the game.

Best example I can offer you is that I have two characters that compete against each other. The one wants the other dead, the other just seeks to control the evil of the first. The personalities of the two are very different as thier goals are different. One is respected the other is feared. In online play most do not know I play both of them. I would be disappointed if either was killed because of their long life, however I would not use the other to advenge the death because of out of game knowledge. If in game killing a powerful character that have contended with each other for years, I would seek clues and information. I would need to determine if such a person was a force of evil or good , and of course depending which of the two of mine survived, decide what to do about it.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  10:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GRRR!!!! - God Dammit!

- My Party has been , since ever Using the quick Draw Feat as an Excuse to Drink potions (i never really Read the hand book, never being a player) . But now im reading it. It says nothign about potions.

so answer me this - does Quick Draw mean you can Draw, drink and still attack on the same round? Or have they Been playing me for a fool?

I dont Respect theory on Feats. If a Feat says "this is what can be done" then Thats all that can be done. Grrr. whos right. me or them?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  13:30:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

GRRR!!!! - God Dammit!

- My Party has been , since ever Using the quick Draw Feat as an Excuse to Drink potions (i never really Read the hand book, never being a player) . But now im reading it. It says nothign about potions.

so answer me this - does Quick Draw mean you can Draw, drink and still attack on the same round? Or have they Been playing me for a fool?

I dont Respect theory on Feats. If a Feat says "this is what can be done" then Thats all that can be done. Grrr. whos right. me or them?

Well as per how the feat is written, the feat applies to drawing a weapon only. However some DMs do allow a potiom to be included if character is wearing a belt of potions or other dvice that has potions as near to hand as the weapon is. That said drawing a potion just puts it in hand, it is still a standard action to drink/use the potion just as it is a standard action (or full round action) to use the drawn weapon.

All in all the DM is always right, though if house ruling too many things the game might no longer be D&D.

"QUICK DRAW [GENERAL]

Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.

Benefit: You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.

A character who has selected this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks (much like a character with a bow).

Normal: Without this feat, you may draw a weapon as a move action, or (if your base attack bonus is +1 or higher) as a free action as part of movement. Without this feat, you can draw a hidden weapon as a standard action.

Special: A fighter may select Quick Draw as one of his fighter bonus feats."
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  14:39:39  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hrmm i may Add Belts in - costing 1 gp (My entire campaign is in Gold peices)

Each belt can hold maybe 4 potions? maybe 6?

Anyway enough of that. how many potions do you belive a player could have on hand?

-----

Now for the blingdenstone mission - i altered the encounters to be challanging (higher CR) but Avoidable. so the players can Decided wether they wanna take the risk or avoid an encounter all together by getting away.

------

Ok ive got this change for encounters

- The Labrynth -

Greatly reduced encounters, increased Traps (all CR 3)

Put in only 3 Encounters -
Encounter 1 - Significantly getting lost will result in stumbling upon the Were Rat community nest - Seldig, 2 level 5 Fighter hybrids, 4 Level 3 Rouges, 7 Commonner based were Rats, 6 (concealed) Rat form were rats.
- It Could possibly be Diplomatic ... but then again the Drow in the party would = instantanious attack -

Encounter 2 - Were rat Outpost Gaurding the Secret door to section of Maze which does lead to the exit. 2 Level 4 Fighters, 2 Level 4 Rouges, 1 Level 6 Cleric.

Encounter 3 - A Little Addition of My Own - Minotaur/Baphitaur Rear Gaurds. a Party of Baphitaur and minotaurs have invaded the temple of Persana within the Ruins of Blingdenstone (searching for somthing to defile for their Gods), this small coven of Rear gaurds consists of 2 Baphitaurs and 1 minotaur (with classes attached).

----------
Labrynth done
---------

Ok. now that may be abit tough, but the party is ECL 7.

---------
Blingdenstone City
---------

Encounters - Ok they Vary Greatly, so ill just note them

Minotaur's and Baphitaur's in the Temple of Persana.
rust monster Trapped in abandoned armoury with two Faerzress Infused giant roaches.

6 Stone Flyers Ambush

4 Stone Flyers Ambush in an abandoned inn

3 Crystal oozes in the old town fountain.

A Lith

Killer Mimics

- thinking of adding in an area with some Mineral Mephits / Actually i might add them in later -

Duskryn Sentries - will attack anyone who stumbles into site without a Bregan Daerth Cape (which the two other players have). 2 Tanarukks, 2 Level 5 Fighters, 2 Level 5 Rouges.

This is a none combat encounter, however i would put Corossive picks in the hands of the Drow fighters.

---------
Rear Caverns
---------

Im currently Re-making this section -

My Ideas includes

- Duskrynn camp -
Zezpassa
5 Level 4 Drow Fighters
6 Level 3 Drow Rouges

Slaves
undetermined number of Xorn
1 Tanarukk (with a greatpick)
8 bugbear's
4 Orcs
6 goblins
1 Oger

------
The ACTUAL rear Cavern section
------

Consists of 3 Chambers

in the last one is a portal that leads to the plane of earth.
Out of it each d4 rounds will spawn an Earth Creature

In the second Chamber i plan for another Stone Flyer Ambush (probably 6 again)

The first chamber will have a whole heap of dead Xorn and dead slaves (Ogremoch's bane flew by and turned them against their handlers).

Portal chamber I may have a huge earth elemental possessed by ogremochs bane (backed up by smaller creatures). If the Portal is dissabled, the smaller creatures will stop (Useing a Portal Demolisher : Minor Magic item from the underdark book)and the elemental will become vunrable -

With the portal Demolished and the essence banished back to the plane of earth (i couldnt find anything on it...) the players will receive 2 Chests full of Loot from the Duskryn Camp.

----
I dno if this is a climactic End to this mission - any sugestions to change this?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  15:44:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no actual limit on number of potions one can own, the character however must be able to carry them or store them. There is also wealth guidelines that should be followed or effective level altered. There should be space limitations as well (only so many potions can fit into a backpack for example). The potions should be carried in a safe manner to prevent or reduce chance of them getting broken, thus not useable.

As for Duskrynn camp, I would add at least one wizard, perhaps level 5 and at least one more Priestess, perhaps level 3. As indicated the camp should not be a combat situation, however the Drow camp wold want to be powerful enough in case there was a large attack.
You might add a few Com slaves that cook, farm and do other mundane tasks. You might mintain the 2 slaves per each Drow, the low level slaves would tend not to fight at all and would not normally be armed.

Banishment could be automatic with portal distruction to make things easier, other thing might be scroll with Banishment spell on it, however because of level of spell there is a chance of failure or mishap. For now can not think of other changes. A large part of how it goes depends on how often they can rest. There also may be a factor f luck needed with the were, considering the number of them. Fighting style can minimise the danger, i.ee. staying close together to limit the number that can attack each round.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  07:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOOk :) Hrmm... Maybe a Realistic Amount of Potions one could carry Might be 1 Potion for each HD of the character on belt (Level based) and d4+1 Others "safley" in their backpack. Idno. Maybe say buy a special Potion case to carry a furthur 6 extra potions. Hrmm... is this getting to far away from dnd?

Ive also done some more work on blingdenstone - the Portal mission goes like so

as the players near the portal cave they are ambushed by 6 more stone Flyers and 2 Lesser Xorn.

In the next Chamber is the Huge earth elemental, with 10 Regen Each Round aslong as the portal remains intact.

It will attack anyone running passed it. or towards the portal. aswell as this, a random Creatures (from the plane of earth) will appear to attack the players.

Percentile dice
1-20 = Earth mephit
21-25 = Thoqqua
26-36 = small Earth elemental
37-48 = lesser Xorn
49-60 = Medium sized earth elemental
61-72 = Average Xorn
73-82 = Stone Flyer
83-90 = Thoqqua
91-100 = Mineral Salamander

Mineral salamander
hp - 38
Ac - 21
Longspear - +10/+5 (d8+3+fire)
Tail Slap - +7 (2d6+2+d6 fire)
Earth Strike - once per day - +3 to attack roll, +7 damage.

Heat , Constrict (2d6+1+d6 fire), Earth/fire Subtype, damage reduction 10/+1. Burrow. dark vision 60 feet. 10/+1

CR 6

----

Im thinking of chucking some mineral salamanders in at the start of the last encounter (maybe just 2 to prevent the players getting to the portal so easily).

yeah i know Kentinal... it sounds suicidal. but my players survived everything else ive thrown at them so far :P And By the time they get to here, they should be ECL 8 (considering the encounters in blingdenstone itself).

what do you think ?

Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  07:15:21  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another change - swapping stone flyer ambush with lesser Xorns for mineral Salamander ambush. I wanna follow up from the last campaign and make slamanders appear more and more...

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  14:53:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regard to potions: I would not limit number that the PCs find, buy or make. Though you certainly can use belt/backpack guidelines for NPCs. I would not allow belt to hold more then 6 potions, regardless of level.
As for a vial carring case to protect from damage that is not going to far from D&D IMO, weather or not one is needed depends on how much risk of breakage you use in your game. The carring case (if used) should increase saving throw and/or hardness of potions. Or you can have case itself asigned a saving throw hardness and hit points. As long as not broken potions safely stored.

As for encounter, yes indeed sounds hard, but you are there so have a better idea of how capible the players are. Of course they can reteat if needed. Of at least Grim can and perhaps beg aid from the Drow to save friends if it goes that badly.
Go to Top of Page

Fend Of Greathold
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  15:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Fend Of Greathold's Homepage Send Fend Of Greathold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ehhe. potions have hardness?

Im guessing it is a Called shot to Hit potions. and Potions on the belt must make a fort Save or shatter if the player falls more than 10 feet?

Im thinking this - For the potion case

+4 circumstance bonus to all Saves - 6 GP (my campaign is in GP) - 1 Case can be Strapped onto a belt at no penalty. 2 Cases at -2 to reflex saves because of their bulkyness.

Each case can hold 6 Potions of any kind.

------------
Normally potion limitations on Belt's should max out at 6. though i still think this may be too easy on my players.
------------

Quick makes drinking a potion a partial action - Cause if im right its normally a full round action.

Hrmm. sound good to you Psions?

- Oh one more thing... the Grim wouldnt beg no one for aid. specially since he cannot speak elvish. lol.

I know this about making combats - what i usually consider to hard for the players turns out easy. and what i consider Excessive overkill ends up either unfair or simply challanging to the group :P lol

- Btw - I played my first ever Game of DND as a player today and upon that i realised somthing - the other dm had jack all on me. and although i Tried to RP, My Meta-gameing Freinds Soon Broke down my spirit. No one was their alignment - they all acted evil with good intentions ... although they were chaotic good (i was lawful). They bossed each other around into using their abilities for their own gain. and when they begged me to use lay on hands rather than healing myself on 0 hitpoints i couldnt help but tell them to screw themselves - despite being lawful good. by this time however, i was far to annoyed at gameplay to even care about much anymore. i wasnt hitting anything for crap (Only a +3 Attack modifier - we were fighting goblins... only goblins...... sigh... i only killed 2 in the end after several combats!!) I realised i was only cut out for being in a Team full of people as RP lustful as i, OR as the DM where what little RP in the game was completely within my control... not that the other dm didnt Put up a valiant attempt to RP (though he did lead us by the nose alot).

Well... for a first time experiance of DND from the players perspective - i realised only 1 thing - Critical hits suck monkey nuts on level 1 characters.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000