Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Here there be Dragons... Or so my PCs hope
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  12:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Looking for a little commentry on what Ive got for this weekends adventure

One of my players has taken the Dragon Familiar feat from the Draconomicon and ever since he reached 9th level hes been looking for a Copper Dragon to adapt. So last time we played he and the parties cleric of Tempus cast a few divination spells and discovered that there was some Copper Dragons in the Desertmouth mountains. So at the end of the last session the PCs declared that they would travel there to try and get the Sorceror his Dragon Cohort

What Ive come up with:

A Blue Dragon has managed to steal the eggs of a rivial Copper Dragon whose region the Blue shares. The Blue has been blackmailing the Copper into attacking merchant caravans traveling between Cormyr and the Western Dales if the Copper refuses the Blue says he will crush the Coppers eggs. Part of the blackmail is that the Copper must give all the treasure she plunders from the merchants to the Blue. Basicly the Blue gets to increase the size of its hoard without taking any of the risk.

The Copper Dragon sees the PCs entering the Desertmouth moutains and spies on them for a while. After a while she decides that the PCs are strong enough to help liberate her eggs from the blue. So she ambushes them using her breath weapon and Hold person spells she incapasitates the party she then pins them to a cliff face 200 metres above the ground with web spells. She then blackmails the party into helping her get her eggs back froim the Blue if they dont agree she'll let them fall when the web spell expires.

The blue doesnt allow the Copper to deliver the treasure to the blues lair they meet else where and the Blue takes the treasure the copper brings back to its lair. If the PCs ask the Copper will suggest that the PCs sneak into the Blue lair and retrieve the eggs while shes delivering treasure to it outside its lair.

The Pcs will be on a clock and if they take to long the Blue will catch them in the act of stealing the eggs. The lair minus the dragon will have some guardians (Im taking suggestions for the Blue Dragons guardians) which the PCs will have to over come before they can grab the egg. however theres also the temptation the Blues Hoard
however if they choose to search the hoard then the Blue will come back and catch them.

The Hoard will be fairly large and there will be a number of items buried within it Rings, Belts wands etc They will also find the Blues insurance policy an Inteligent LE Longsword +2 "Copper Dragon slayer." The Blue is smarter than your average evil Dragon and concluded that the Copper may find a way to get others to collect the eggs for her, so the Blue left the Longsword as bait knowing that who ever carried the sword would be taken over by the sword when ever they saw a Copper Dragon.

Comments? Suggestions?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  13:52:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a comment... Can you move to Perth just for the weekend?

Since several of my players have other committments that will likely last until Australia Day... my regular weekend and Tuesday night games have been suspended.

I can't game this weekend... .

I don't really have anything constructive to add unfortunately. Just live with the knowledge that for most of this weekend, I'll be extremely jealous of you Dargoth .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  15:03:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Comments:

I would not have Copper ambush the party for following two reasons.
The party might win (save against hold spells for example).
Blackmail is not a good way to start a friendship, that would help in getting a famililar.

I would subsitute the attack with a non combative approuch. A request for aid.

As for Blue quardians.

Perhaps that is a younger one there, a Blue child
Also you might consider Kobolds with classes, as they are Dragonkin these days.
Other guardians could include other monsters that live in or near the Blue, they will not take on the Dragon, however will take on those seeking to harm the Dragon. Could be almost any inteligent creature. The Blue in general provides a regional defense for them so that they can raid or just live reasonable free from outside attackers. The Blue allows them to stay in exchange for their pledge to protect the lair.
Guardians tribes certainly should not be powerful enough to take out the Blue but provide a decent chalenge for the party,

As for plan in and out the copper might propose that idea, however the party might decide on doing something different. Perhaps a direct attack on the Blue. Some depends on what magic is available to the party as well. In part it depends on how good the party is at planning tactics.

Can the party take out the Blue

Oh is treasure is exchanged elsewhere it might make sense that the Copper keeps some of the treasure rather then give all to the Blue, there might be some items of magic kept back that might aid the party. Potions perhaps of healing, invisability, random other ones, maybe even a blade or two.

Just a few ideas to consider. Hope your game goes well.

I certainly have no problem with Copper slaying sword though if taken it should not automatically allow sword to control the PC, that will depend on the Ego and saving throw. Even if sword controls I would expect the rest of the party can control the one controled.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  20:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I forgot to mention

The PCs are 9th level and theres 5 of them 4 PCs a Cleric Cohort

The Blue Dragon will be a Young Adult (An adult Blue is might be to much for a 9th level party)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  00:01:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to play in your campaign! Move to Florida!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  01:53:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

C'mon Sage! Adelaide is in the middle - it's the natural place to set up Dargoth's game. And I haven't been involved in a proper game since 1989 or so ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  03:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*chuckle*

Its nice to feel wanted

But seriously if you are going to be over in Sydney give a yell and ill see if we can get a game going.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  09:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any further comments or suggestions?

Im debating whether to leave he Blues lair in the Moutains or put it out in the Desert if I put it out in the Desert I may throw in some Bedine encounters maybe a Shade patrol

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  13:02:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Any further comments or suggestions?

Im debating whether to leave he Blues lair in the Moutains or put it out in the Desert if I put it out in the Desert I may throw in some Bedine encounters maybe a Shade patrol

Well Desert suit the Blue better, the blackmailed Copper in effect increases area of control.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  14:46:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

C'mon Sage! Adelaide is in the middle - it's the natural place to set up Dargoth's game. And I haven't been involved in a proper game since 1989 or so ...

-- George Krashos

That's the stuff good dreams are made of . Dargoth, you, and myself all in the same city and with a whole weekend of adventuring in the Realms ahead of us.

We seriously have to try something like that one day, my fellow scribes...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  03:00:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's the stuff good dreams are made of . Dargoth, you, and myself all in the same city and with a whole weekend of adventuring in the Realms ahead of us.

We seriously have to try something like that one day, my fellow scribes...

Send me money for the airline ticket, and I'm there!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  10:02:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Hoard will be fairly large and there will be a number of items buried within it Rings, Belts wands etc...

What will these various rings, belts, and wands be like?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  10:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something thats useful for each class

maybe a +2 Stat raising magic item for each character

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  12:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not have the PC's come across a Militia group headed by the Merchants who were attacked, searching for the Coppers lair? They could diplomatically explain the situation, which may be beneficial, having nearby allies should the Pc's encounter the Blue Dragon himself. Or they may be seen as being minions of the Copper Dragon, and attacked themselves? Just a small encounter between Dragons, but perhaps it will make the journey more eventful.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  17:52:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wondering how things are going. Which plans used, which protectors, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  20:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm probably too late, tell us how it turned out, but the logical question from your players will be - Wow if the copper just took us out and trussed us up this way, what chance do we have against this blue dragon. I guess the whole point must be that the copper is really stronger-older than the blue and can't move against him directly, only because of the eggs.

Its a nice scenario, the copper must distract the blue while the PCs are inside.
You might even want (I don't know if someone mentioned this) to make size an issue, the copper just cant fit into the blue's tunnels.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  23:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It all went horrorably pear shaped

The Sorceror was killed by Trolls when they travels up the Ashaba river to Shadowdale so the adventure came to a rather rapid end as there was no need to go and visit the Desertmouth mountains anymore.

So we rolled into City of Spider Queen

Question for the DMs

A party 9-10 level party should be able to beat an EL 11 encounter fairly easy shouldnt they?

Warning whats below this line is a spoiler for City of the Spider Queen so if you are going toplay in this module stop reading now.

I ran the Vampire Mausoleum encounter (D2)the PCs tried to break the door down to the mausoleum but failed this I decided was enough noise to alert Chahir and allow him to "power up" with his spells. The PCs then tried again this time busting the door down. They where then attacked by the 2 Vampire spawn in hand to hand fight, they managed to knock the 2 Spawn down fairly easily however on the 2nd round Cahir opened up with the lightning bolt spells (he can cast 6 of them) and he cast Improved Invisablity on himself when he cast he "powered up"

This single vampire has owned the entire party, the encounter has cost the PCs 7 negative energy levels the party Cleric and Sorceror have been taken out (The cleric twice he has been force fed cure potions twice and the encounter still isnt over we had to pick it up next time we played as people had to go.

Now the encounter is only EL 11 surely a 9-10 level party should be able to handle it?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  00:00:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It all went horrorably pear shaped

Sorry to hear that, all those plans on hold until there is another reason to seek a copper. I take it Sor not going to be raised.

quote:

Now the encounter is only EL 11 surely a 9-10 level party should be able to handle it?

http://www.d20srd.org/encounterCalculator.htm

calculates this as "Very Difficult" if 5 9th level tried it, if was same party sans Sor and two leveled it would still be "Very Difficult".

With level drain as each level was lost it would become much harder to win.

The party without knowig they would face a vampire, were facing a disaster. The fact that the vampire was warned of unwanted visitors gave the vampire a tactical edge which made it even harder for the party to stand much of a chance. You need to remember that Encouter Level is calculated based on a party of 4. The EL 1 is challenging for a party of 4 1st level PCs.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  02:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dwarf Ranger/fighter/Prime Underdark guide 6/2/2
Human Cleric of Tempus/Runecaster 5/5
Human Sorcerer 9th level
Human Fighter 9th level
Human Fighter/Divine Champion 7/1

The party had recieved advanced warning that they would face undead both in game from Randel Morn and by me when I howed them the cover of COSQ

The Cleric had a couple of Searing light spells memorised which he used to take down the 2 Vampire spawn

What I am concerned about is that theres another EL 11 encounter in this area and theres even an EL 12 encounter in th region as well

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  03:56:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Cleric had a couple of Searing light spells memorised which he used to take down the 2 Vampire spawn
[/unquote]

Perhaps should have saved them for big gun, however inviable would have made them less effective.

What I am concerned about is that theres another EL 11 encounter in this area and theres even an EL 12 encounter in th region as well

Well they got a taste of what to expect so might use more caution. If more level drain is out there they are certainly in bad shape. The 24 hours have not passed yet so level loss is temp right now. Perhaps some scroll of resurection might be found or DC check when making the save (if they hole up for the 25 hours, and they should to regain spells cast) might be fudged some to give them a chance. I would worry as well.
Those three encouters should just about get them halfway to next level. If they suceed with the lower effective level they should level up would think. The odds of sucess are much lower though.
Either tone down the encouters , guide them to easier ones, that might provide items to aid in the grand battles, or have them rescue and/or find somebody to add to party strength, Adding an NPC will slow level gain, however might have the PCs live long enough to gain a level.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000