Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Jerryd
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  04:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
High Castellan, but since the treachery of Luthax (see Cormyr: A Novel), the commander of the War Wizards has also and only been the Mage Royal.

I took this into account and had written up the abolition of the High Castellan post myself.
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Last, there is the Chairman of the College of War Wizards. The College of War Wizards is not a school or "college" in the modern sense, but the group of senior War Wizards--and, yes, a few alarphons--that confers membership in that organization; the college is the "board" of which Vangerdahast was chair. The College of War Wizards is extremely secretive (even more than the larger War Wizards group), and their membership is not entirely public. They are part admissions board, part internal affairs, and part something else entirely. The Chairman directs meetings of the College, and reports any decisions it makes to the commander of the War Wizards (who would then report anything important to the Royal Magician; conveniently, all are one in the same).

Yes, the "Chairman of the College of War Wizards" also known as the Chairman Emperius or Emeritus. I already knew that the College of War Wizards is not a school in the modern sense, but what I had always figured was that the "College of War Wizards" was the entire body of all war wizards; that is, the "College of War Wizards" was the name of the entire institution of War Wizards. I had already written up that the entire body of all war wizards is secretive to start with; outsiders can identify many of them by the robes they wear, fear the power they have, and know little to nothing more than that about the details of how they're organized or how they work. What you are calling the "College of War Wizards", though, is sorta-kinda what I had envisioned as just the "administrative or advisory board".

Jerry Davis
Go to Top of Page

Ulrik Wolfsbane
Acolyte

New Zealand
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  05:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Ulrik Wolfsbane's Homepage Send Ulrik Wolfsbane a Private Message
Oh this one is a question for Ed if he or Elminster come nosing around in this dark corner of Candlekeep. What are the inspirations for the Uthgardt? Given their black hair and blue eyes I would suspect R.E Howard's Cimmerians, but is there more? Cimmerian culture, what little of it Howard described, seemed fairly Celtic in flavour, whereas Uthgardt, in their current incarnation at least, seem more like the Scandinavian Illuskans. Did you intend them to be friends or foes of your adventuring bands, or a more unpredictable force, likely to heal as to harm? Please refer to All Forums/Realmslore/Realms Events/The Uthgardt if you'd like to see where this came from.

Oh yeah, while I'm asking these things, do they have ginger beer in the realms, and where does all the lamp oil come from (in the North at least. I've never heard of oil wells so do they use tallow or flammable sap or something else)? There, I'm done. Thanks!

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  06:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ulrik Wolfsbane

Oh this one is a question for Ed if he or Elminster come nosing around in this dark corner of Candlekeep. What are the inspirations for the Uthgardt? Given their black hair and blue eyes I would suspect R.E Howard's Cimmerians, but is there more? Cimmerian culture, what little of it Howard described, seemed fairly Celtic in flavour, whereas Uthgardt, in their current incarnation at least, seem more like the Scandinavian Illuskans.

The name and the placement of the tribes would suggest something Teutonic -- Utgard is a Norse-Teutonic word meaning "outside" -- possibly inspired by the migrating German tribes of the early/cusp Teutonic Iron Age (200 BCE to 200 CE).

The Romans often confused these early Teutonic tribes with the Celtic. And not without good cause.

There would probably be a few influences all wrapped up in there.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Ulrik Wolfsbane
Acolyte

New Zealand
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  06:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Ulrik Wolfsbane's Homepage Send Ulrik Wolfsbane a Private Message
Cheers Beowulf!

'One of Hygelac's thanes, Beowulf by name,
renowned among the Geats for his great bravery,
heard in his own country of Grendel's crimes;
he was the strongest man alive,
princely and powerful.'

Do you match up?

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  09:21:47  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
The Hooded One,

Yet another question for Ed.

Ed,

Since THO just mentioned your novel "Silverfall", here are a few Silverfall/Eilistraee related question.

First, are the Drow who worship in Ardeep residents of the Promenade? Or, do they live in Ardeep?

Second, why are the Drow of Ardeep so seemingly hostile towards humans? Their behavior seems out of place to me, considering the creed of their goddess.

- S
Go to Top of Page

Ulrik Wolfsbane
Acolyte

New Zealand
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  10:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Ulrik Wolfsbane's Homepage Send Ulrik Wolfsbane a Private Message
Simontrinity, what prompted you to ask this question? What sources have you looked at/not looked at? Ed did write at some length about Ardeep forest in Dragon #270, and in his 'The New Adventures of Volo' therein he said some few things about the Drow of Ardeep. They ARE led, in worship, on occasion by Qilue. I don't think this means that they are from the Promenade. The Promenade is very rare for a temple of Elistraee in that it is underground and that it's priestesses don't seek out the light of the moon to worship her. They worship in the cavern of song instead. I can't remember if 'Skullport' by Steven Schend has anything on the Promenade, the information I use is from the original Dragon magazine article by Steve and Ed. I can't remember what number, sorry. I suppose they could use portals to travel to Ardeep to worship, but I would put my money on the Ardeep drow being a separate group. As for their viciousness in defending the Dancing Dell? Well, I'm sure being a drow on the surface would lead to an extraordinary amount of anxiety about the intent of strangers, which may well lead to unprovoked attacks. Oh, enough of my speculation, lets hear what Ed has to say...

Edited by - Ulrik Wolfsbane on 05 Jan 2005 10:06:01
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  14:22:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
the information I use is from the original Dragon magazine article by Steve and Ed. I can't remember what number, sorry.

Dragon #176 had "If You Need Help -- Ask the Drow!"

by Greenwood & Schend
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  16:41:52  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:

Cheers Beowulf!

'One of Hygelac's thanes, Beowulf by name,
renowned among the Geats for his great bravery,
heard in his own country of Grendel's crimes;
he was the strongest man alive,
princely and powerful.'

Do you match up?

Never had much of a problem with boldness or the (other) aetheling thews, ie. "princeliness".

Power? Nope. Strong? For a kraki, yep, definitely. Strongest? Not even.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  19:43:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I have a question about Serpent Kingdoms. On page 55 in the creator races colored box of text the plane of Limbo is mentioned. However the new planes, that are in the FRCS and the Player's Guide to Faerun, this plane doesn't exist. So this has caused confusion with a few of us on the boards, the mailing list, and other places.

Now with that in mind does Limbo exist as a seperate plane in FR's Tree now or it is a plane that has falling into decay and gone away like a few of the other planes from the dead deities? Or did it split apart and form into the Supreme Throne with the rise of Cyric?

The confusion mostly lies because of the slaadi. The Player's Guide says they live in the Supreme Throne while Serpent Kingdoms says they fled to Limbo.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Jan 2005 23:55:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  23:47:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
the information I use is from the original Dragon magazine article by Steve and Ed. I can't remember what number, sorry.

Dragon #176 had "If You Need Help -- Ask the Drow!"

by Greenwood & Schend

That's one of the few Dragon articles that I took the time to copy over to Word...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ulrik Wolfsbane
Acolyte

New Zealand
27 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  00:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Ulrik Wolfsbane's Homepage Send Ulrik Wolfsbane a Private Message
Cheers Rupert! That article RAWKS! I still refer to it often. Is there anything in 'Skullport' on the Promenade?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  01:41:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed’s reply to Capn Charlie about annual festivals and holidays concludes, thus:

Marpenoth 7 Stoneshar
On this day, ceremonial building is begun. It’s seen as the best day of the year for the construction of a building to begin (with the digging out of cellars and the laying of at least one foundation-stone), because such an act is thought to confer the favour of all the gods not just on the place where the act of construction is commenced, but on the building that results.
However, even if no buildings are needed or will be built, prayers are offered to the gods as two stones are placed, one sited in the earth or on bedrock, and the other placed atop the first, in a ritual representing building.
Stoneshar is seen as a good day for beginning business ventures, making deals, signing contracts, and constructing small items (from pots to tools). Temples of Lathander, Gond, and Grumbar charge no fees during Stoneshar, and throw open their doors to all for priests to give advice, render aid, and demonstrate building methods, skills, and tools.
“The gods help those who help themselves” is a saying heard often during Stoneshar, an all-faiths festival in which all priesthoods refrain from punishment and destruction of any sort. There are no executions on Stoneshar, and it is not a day for idleness. Even children at play are encouraged to make things, even if their constructions are merely holes, sandcastles, or crude models: the industry is what’s holy on this day, for by their exertions and the projects they begin, folk attract the favour of all the gods down upon them and where they dwell, until next Stoneshar. Conversely, sloth and laziness risks the displeasure of the gods (and all manner of misfortune, as “Beshaba dances unchained”) on the individuals and their dwelling-place, for the year ahead.
Communal feasts (wherein all participants bring food, in what we modern real-world folk would call “potluck”) are common in most places; in cities, these are often held at local temples or usually-private clubs (and yes, some clubs put on entertainments and ‘dress the place up’ in order to entice gawking visitors into joining, or to enhance their fearsome local reputations).

Uktar 20 Last Sheaf
Regardless of the actual end of harvest (usually at least a tenday or more earlier, though Turmish can be warm far later into the year than latitudes north of, say, the Lake of Dragons), this day of feasting is held in celebration of the year’s bounty. Small gifts (traditionally, handkegs of ale, jars of preserves, and smoked fish and meats) are exchanged among neighbours, and “last letters” are gathered for carriage by ship captains and caravan merchants to points south (most points north are already inaccessible, thanks to coastal ice and inland snows). Many rulers send out clerks, envoys, and heralds to gather the last news, pleas, and requests from remote subjects before winter really closes in. In more mountainous parts of Turmish, hunt are held for stags and other big game; if successful, a second day of feasting follows.

Nightal 11 Howldown
Wolf hunts (and hunts of all other sorts of predators, from owlbears and trolls to brigands and orc bands) are held, with all able-bodied folk (mercenaries and adventurers are expected to take part, too, without thought of payment or gain) gathering into large hunting parties, and local spellcasters aiding in ‘flushing out’ prey. The intent is to eliminate predators who will endanger citizens and their livestock when food grows scarce in the worst depths of the winter.
Regardless of the success of the hunts, the night ends with large bonfires and much drinking and the telling of hunting tales. Elders who were great hunters in their day are toasted, and trophies (claws, horns, teeth, and heads of slain monsters) are distributed to be boiled clean and hung on walls and over mantels.

So saith Ed, who adds his hopes that Capn Charlie will enjoy these, as we all embark on another year of great gaming.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  01:50:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed’s reply to Capn Charlie about annual festivals and holidays concludes, thus:

Nightal 11 Howldown
Wolf hunts (and hunts of all other sorts of predators, from owlbears and trolls to brigands and orc bands) are held, with all able-bodied folk (mercenaries and adventurers are expected to take part, too, without thought of payment or gain) gathering into large hunting parties, and local spellcasters aiding in ‘flushing out’ prey. The intent is to eliminate predators who will endanger citizens and their livestock when food grows scarce in the worst depths of the winter.
Regardless of the success of the hunts, the night ends with large bonfires and much drinking and the telling of hunting tales. Elders who were great hunters in their day are toasted, and trophies (claws, horns, teeth, and heads of slain monsters) are distributed to be boiled clean and hung on walls and over mantels.

This one appears known though not on all four points, how many hunts are there in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  02:01:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Cheers Rupert! That article RAWKS! I still refer to it often. Is there anything in 'Skullport' on the Promenade?

No, it appears that the article mentioned above is the best source of info on the Promenade. I just scanned over the other articles I had lifted from Dragon (the ones that pertained to Undermountain, that is), and none of them offered any additional info on the Promenade. Nor did the Skullport supplement of the same name give any info on the Promenade.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  02:51:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

No, it appears that the article mentioned above is the best source of info on the Promenade. I just scanned over the other articles I had lifted from Dragon (the ones that pertained to Undermountain, that is), and none of them offered any additional info on the Promenade. Nor did the Skullport supplement of the same name give any info on the Promenade.

That is the one that describes the four sections of the Promenade?

As you might be able to tell I can not lay my hands on the article at this time.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  06:15:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

and a Silverfall (the novel, finally in print as a mass market paperback) “character profile,” a little bit of whimsical fun fiction by Ed that made me laugh at loud:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/silverfallcp

Now that was truely an enjoyable read, suddenly, I have an urge to read a certain Harper novel. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

ShayneT
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  01:22:36  Show Profile  Visit ShayneT's Homepage Send ShayneT a Private Message
I have a question for Ed.

There have been reports in numerous sources of huge sums of money begin transferred during business dealings- two million gold pieces in Amn for the purchase of a shipload of silks, the purchase of the throne of Estagun in 1026 Dr by a merchant for "almost a million gold pieces" worth in diamonds, and in one Realms novel, there is mention of Mirt the moneylender making a ten million gold piece loan to a crime lord, when Tymora's luck caused his lottery system to go awry.

Just how much money does the average noble have control of anyway? I realize that most businessmen have most of their assets invested in property and businesses rather than easily carried wealth. How much wealth does someone have to have to impress the average waterdhavian?
Is a thousand thousand coins considered a huge sum?

One of the d20 modern books suggests that gold pieces are worth approximately $20. It occurs to me that the wealthiest businessman in Faerun might then be worth around 50 million gold. This would put him in the same league as a Rockefeller. I doubt it would be easy to own amounts much larger than that due to transportation and communications difficulties. Administrative costs of a business empire alone would eat up profits, along with the monsters, bandits, thieves and unscrupulous competing businesses who are out to steal your latest caravan load of silks.

Does that sound reasonable? Kings might have more money, but for a private individual, how much wealth makes him considered a financial power in the realms?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  02:09:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Kentinal, herewith Ed of the Greenwood makes reply to your fortified manors queries:

Long before the formal idea of what has become the Silver Marches was first raised, Everlund saw the wisdom of nestling under the protection of Silverymoon, and so positioned itself in all ways as a friend and ally. Having rooted inhabitants dwelling on both sides of the Rauvin was seen as wise strategy by the rulers of both cities, and patrolling the lands between them so as to forge a (relatively) ‘safe’ slice of the wilderlands of the North as a welcome goal.
If folk settle in this forested region of gently rolling hills and carve out small farms or build dwellings (necessarily fortified for protection against owlbears, brigands, and wandering foraging bands of goblins, orcs, and bugbears), that’s seen as highly desirable to further ‘anchor’ the region.
Most such landowners build in the lands between Silverymoon and Everlund so as to live in seclusion (they may be wizards wanting solitude for study, various folk who want privacy because they don’t adhere to comfortable societal norms or fit into the ‘sort of folk accepted by most others’ [such as lycanthropes, drow, members of various cults, and so on]), but within reach of the services, goods, and customers or sources of recruits offered by the generally tolerant, ‘good’ folk of Everlund and Silverymoon. Few of these landowners (who are known locally as “forestholders”) are stupid enough to dispute the authority of the armed patrols sent out by either Silverymoon or Everlund.
In short, yes, the forestholders are independent of the authority of either city, but they see the value of being able to rely on the patrols to ‘keep down’ the perils outside their walls, and when REAL trouble knocks at their gates (orc hordes, fell armies on the march; that sort of thing), the opportunity to run to the protection of walled Silverymoon, or the numbers afforded by the population of Everlund, so as to be able to reach Silverymoon alive or take barge down the Rauvin and out of the area.
As a result, it’s rare indeed for any forestholder to argue with a patrol in any way, providing water, food, shelter and stabling at short notice, and for low fees - - but in return, the patrols always DO pay for what they need, treat the forestholders with polite respect, and even volunteer their muscle for timber-lifting (for fence and building repairs, extrication of mired wagons, and so on).
Most of these fortified manors are little more than a stables, a pantry/granary, a springhouse (most of them are sited where springs of drinkable water come to the surface, in this area of many such springs), a kitchen garden, a carriage house or workshed, and a dwelling [however small or large and elaborate - - and most start small, and are added to by wings and towers, as needs dictate over the passing years]. Building stone is plentiful and easily gathered, and most buildings are of stone, with roofs of wood and wood shingles, and encircling walls of a timber palisade reinforced by courses of stone blocks on the inside, and steep banks of earth on the outside (planted with creepers to hold the soil). Over the seasons, as the palisade rots, the place where it has been is “fired” [small fires built in the cavities] to bake the mud on one side, and the cement-like mortar of the stone walls on the other side, hard - - and the cavities are then filled in with stone rubble and refuse.
Most holds can’t support themselves unless growing conditions can be aided with spells (they haven’t the space and enough days of warmth to grow enough vegetables to feed many mouths). Few have enough long-term residents to gather enough wild food, or do enough hunting, to keep tables spread throughout an entire year (especially the long, overly harsh winters, which has led to some of the more formidable forestholders abandoning their holds every fall for warmer dwellings in Tethyr and parts south, and returning in spring to, if necessary, re-conquer their own holds from whoever’s moved in during the cold months).
Though such holdings tend to cluster together along trails (especially close to Everlund), there are no hamlets: the authorities in both Everlund and Silverymoon discourage such forming, because they know such places will inevitably spring up around guardposts established by their patrols - - making the guardposts more inviting targets and endangering the patrols because potential attackers will be able to dwell in, or hide among, the buildings, paddocks, sheds, and side-alleys that are a part of every settlement.
Kentinal, I’m guessing you’re seeing this region of the Realms a little too much like real-world Eruope, where no matter how “wild” the terrain is, there’s always a defined border and someone claiming the lands on both sides of it.
Even in the most-heavily-settled part of the inland Sword Coast North that we’re discussing, we have a frontier situation where boundaries are ill-defined and even the extent of patrolled areas change with seasons, resources, and perceived danger. True authority tends to end at about the point of your drawn sword, if you see what I mean. In real-world terms, this is SOMEWHAT like the Hollywood (i.e. endless) version of the American ‘Wild West,’ only a lot colder and so more dictated by sheer survival needs.
However, your question about borders elsewhere in the Realms is a good one. There are “a number of small, private fortified manor houses that serve as rather exclusive inns (often patronized by caravan companies, adventuring bands, and parties of envoys),” to use my own earlier words, in easternmost Amn and Tethyr, northernmost Sembia, in the southeasternmost Tashalar, throughout the Border Kingdoms, and around Hillsfar - - not to mention many other areas I haven’t really thought about in any detail.
Prime adventuring country, in other words. Go for it! :}

So saith Ed. Whose last few sentences remind me of the Ghost Holds nigh Battledale, wherein we Knights have spent many a hair-raising day. An isolated hold would be a great setting for a Clue-style murder mystery, too.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  03:11:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

Kentinal, herewith Ed of the Greenwood makes reply to your fortified manors queries:

I thank for the reply, in part much as I expected.

quote:

Though such holdings tend to cluster together along trails (especially close to Everlund), there are no hamlets: the authorities in both Everlund and Silverymoon discourage such forming, because they know such places will inevitably spring up around guardposts established by their patrols - - making the guardposts more inviting targets and endangering the patrols because potential attackers will be able to dwell in, or hide among, the buildings, paddocks, sheds, and side-alleys that are a part of every settlement.
(/quote]

As expected to be permitted.

quote:

Kentinal, I’m guessing you’re seeing this region of the Realms a little too much like real-world Eruope, where no matter how “wild” the terrain is, there’s always a defined border and someone claiming the lands on both sides of it.

I was not looking for artificial borders as such, though did wonder about nactrual borders. Rivers, ranges and the like. I do understand the ill defined borders well.

[quote]

However, your question about borders elsewhere in the Realms is a good one. There are “a number of small, private fortified manor houses that serve as rather exclusive inns (often patronized by caravan companies, adventuring bands, and parties of envoys),” to use my own earlier words, in easternmost Amn and Tethyr, northernmost Sembia, in the southeasternmost Tashalar, throughout the Border Kingdoms, and around Hillsfar - - not to mention many other areas I haven’t really thought about in any detail.
Prime adventuring country, in other words. Go for it! :}

I do thank you for a detailed reply. Now to think up harder questions. Blessings be with you and the Hooded one that provides your words.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  22:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A question for Ed

The PGTF assigned regions to the FR races including Aasimars and Tieflings, it did not however include regions for the Chaond and Zenythri (The Chaos and Law equivlents to Aasimars an Tieflings). We know that Chaond at the very least are present in the FR (Rich Baker used one in his Dungeon module Prison of the Flamebringer)

Have the Lawful and Chaos outsiders had an impact on Faeruns history and if so where?

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 07 Jan 2005 22:27:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  02:26:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Krash, greetings of the turning season back to you from Ed and from myself. It gives Ed great pleasure to spin a somewhat teasing answer to thy recent query, as follows:

Ah, yes: elder runes.
George, “elder runes” is a collective modern-day Realms term, probably coined by an unknown human sage at least a thousand years ago (because it’s about that long ago that the term gradually seeps into common usage among students and workers of magic), referring to a growing (as they’re “rediscovered”) collection of magical symbols (probably NOT of common origins) used by long-ago workers of magic.
More specifically, we know that some Netherese (and a handful of their scattered descendants, after the fall of that realm) used them, and also that before that, dwarves of Besilmer employed some of what we now call ‘elder runes, ’ and may well have merely augmented and expanded upon runes in use earlier among the Stout Folk. The names now used for many of the known elder runes hint that elves also used them, and adventurers know that certain shamans among the goblinkin (orcs, goblins, and especially hobgoblins) draw them to this day.
There are tales that certain ‘sensitive’ beings can feel the nearby presence of any elder rune, and that runes of the same sort are somehow linked (no matter how distant one drawing of Angras may be from another, teleportation of a person, item, or just a verbal message [emitted aloud but in some cases also stored in the rune until it is next touched, or even after] between them is possible).
Although the runes have acquired ‘wayfarer’ meanings (noting the presence of shelter, for instance), it’s clear they formerly also had other meanings and purposes.
Most of them possessed now-exhausted magical powers, a few still store these magics, and almost all of them, if whole (i.e. the drawn glyph isn’t broken by damage to the drawing or the surface it’s graven upon), can be ‘recharged’ with magic by those who know how.
And there’s the rub: elder runes have magical powers only if imbued with such by many now-forgotten spells that can be cast upon them at any time. Most of the beings still ‘alive’ who know such magics are either dragons or undead (usually liches). It’s certain that some dragons and baelnorn deliberately recharge elder runes often to bolster defenses around lairs, caches, hoards, and ruined dwellings.
In Realmsplay, I’ve never detailed those spells, but used the runes as (usually) harmless ‘dungeon decoration,’ but sometimes as waiting magical traps that unleash just about any spell effect I wanted them to, to enhance whatever unfolding adventure the Knights were currently having. (In short, they were one more of my DM’s ‘bag of tricks,’ useful because their mere presence and numbers could help to ‘steer’ the Knights into or away from a particular doorway or tomb, by hinting that a place was well-guarded or important.) As I recall, THO can impart a particularly fond memory of one elder rune that, ahem, entertained her.

So saith Ed, and yes I can (grrr): a pair of runes, on floor and (lofty, very hard to see from the floor) ceiling, that slammed me back and forth between them many times in a reverse gravity trap that we dubbed a ‘wham wham’ (fall up, slam hard into ceiling, activate elder rune, fall down to slam hard on the floor, reactivating the rune there to make you fall up again - - and, of course, lather, rinse, and repeat). I got plenty tired of that one, believe you me.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  02:43:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, and yes I can (grrr): a pair of runes, on floor and (lofty, very hard to see from the floor) ceiling, that slammed me back and forth between them many times in a reverse gravity trap that we dubbed a ‘wham wham’ (fall up, slam hard into ceiling, activate elder rune, fall down to slam hard on the floor, reactivating the rune there to make you fall up again - - and, of course, lather, rinse, and repeat). I got plenty tired of that one, believe you me.
love to all,
THO

So how to you get out of this one?
Perhaps a party member caught you?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  02:49:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, and how!
Spell-snatch into his arms, he copped a feel, Torm went for my carried valuables . . and THEN we all got attacked.
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Jan 2005 02:50:42
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  02:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
"So saith Ed, and yes I can (grrr): a pair of runes, on floor and (lofty, very hard to see from the floor) ceiling, that slammed me back and forth between them many times in a reverse gravity trap that we dubbed a ‘wham wham’ (fall up, slam hard into ceiling, activate elder rune, fall down to slam hard on the floor, reactivating the rune there to make you fall up again - - and, of course, lather, rinse, and repeat). I got plenty tired of that one, believe you me. love to all,"

I do believe Ill pinch that one for some future campaign

Hmm sounds like the sort of trap Halaster might leave in Undermountain

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  14:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

"So saith Ed, and yes I can (grrr): a pair of runes, on floor and (lofty, very hard to see from the floor) ceiling, that slammed me back and forth between them many times in a reverse gravity trap that we dubbed a ‘wham wham’ (fall up, slam hard into ceiling, activate elder rune, fall down to slam hard on the floor, reactivating the rune there to make you fall up again - - and, of course, lather, rinse, and repeat). I got plenty tired of that one, believe you me. love to all,"

I do believe Ill pinch that one for some future campaign

Hmm sounds like the sort of trap Halaster might leave in Undermountain

If memory serves correctly (as I'm 2000 miles from my copy of Ruins of UMT), a derivation of that sort of trap does exist on the pit trap cards in that boxed set. Of course, Ed set the gravities to drag PCs across rusty blades set against the sides of the pits in which this trap exists as well, setting up an even nastier effect.....

Steven
Who likes the spectre-trapped door as one of Ed's/Halaster's most cruel traps

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  15:14:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
The odd thing is that Ed doesn't like using traps, and in the original Realms campaign we hardly ever encountered them, except as obvious, already-sprung "warnings" (usually with skeletons transfixed on them, and the like).
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  18:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message
quote:
[i]and a Silverfall (the novel, finally in print as a mass market paperback) “character profile,” a little bit of whimsical fun fiction by Ed that made me laugh at loud:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/silverfallcp

Sounds like Ed just barely got out in one piece that time! One hopes for Ed's sake that he never has to meet with a few Zhentarim who want to discuss his revealing their plans to all and sundry. I doubt Manshoon or Fzoul would be as forgiving as the Seven Sisters.

But seriously, that was hilarious. Did Ed ever do anything else along those lines?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  01:46:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Thanks for the "elder runes" information THO (and to Ed by proxy) and I like the fact that humanoid spellcasters use them - I've been toying for a while with writing up some more stuff for the neglected orcs and goblinkin of the Realms. More grist for the mill.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  03:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Thanks for the "elder runes" information THO (and to Ed by proxy) and I like the fact that humanoid spellcasters use them - I've been toying for a while with writing up some more stuff for the neglected orcs and goblinkin of the Realms. More grist for the mill.

-- George Krashos

You and Rich baker would seem to be on the same page

"I'm of the opinion that we haven't ever given the evil humanoids the attention they deserve in FR. Where are the goblin kingdoms, the orc-holds, the gnoll tribes? They ought to be on the map too. It's like our map of Faerun was drawn by some snobbish fellow in Candlekeep who arbitrarily decided that "orc kingdoms are hardly kingdoms at all, so I won't include them on MY map." So I'm all for efforts to look at orcs, goblins, etc., a little closer."

Rich Late last month

I found the Candlekeep comment pretty funny

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  03:10:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.

Ardashir, Ed used to pen lots of these little “his encounters with folk of the Realms” bits for the amusement of us Knights and various TSR folk. I’ll see if I can’t worm some of them out of him, to share here.

Meanwhile, Ed wades once more into matters wizardly, courtly, and Cormyrean:

Jerryd, Garen Thal has stated things precisely. To his reply to you, let me just add these tidbits:

“Court Wizard” has duties as Garen Thal has outlined, but to them add: official (daily, at the Royal Court) advisor to the realm on all matters of magic, liaison between the Crown and the War Wizards, and proclaimer of official policy on matters magical. This is the “duty to the realm” side, and is separate from “Royal Magician” (personal bodyguard mage of the Obarskyrs and personal adviser to the monarch), because of course the two offices could be held by two different people.
It should be noted that the Royal Magician serves the ruling FAMILY first (“the Crown”) rather than individual monarchs, although they advise the ruling monarch. In other words, all the “-ahast” wizards have seen their primary duty as being to stable rulership of the realm (so they could conceivably dupe, murder, depose, thwart, or deliberately leave unprotected a foolish, reckless, insane, or otherwise unsuitable ruler).

Just so we’re clear, the “College of War Wizards” isn’t all of the War Wizards, but rather is a small inner body (as the British “College of Arms” wasn’t in earlier times all heralds working and deciding things together, but rather the governing body of blazonry), with duties just as Garen Thal stated. Your “option b” is the correct one: Vangey assembled the four senior War Wizards into his replacement as ‘chair’ of this small administrative board. They act as ‘chairman’ without having any official titles, just pay raises and everyone being firmly told where they now rank in the chain of command, and what authority they now wield.

Caladnei hasn’t assumed a “Chairman” title, but theoretically she could (as “the new Vangey,” following in his footsteps of doing whatever she sees as necessary). Remember, she was a reluctant conscript for the role of Vangey’s replacement, was initially an uncomfortable outsider not wanting to ruffle any feathers, she hates formality and matters bureaucratic, and she (correctly) sees Vangerdahast’s unofficial assumption of being ‘Untitled But Absolute Lord Commander of Everything’ as being a mistake born of his need (as a detail man) to run EVERYTHING.
She sees matters thus (as do Laspeera, Alusair, and Filfaeril): It’s morally and practically wrong to concentrate this much power in one individual (who’s feared and mistrusted by the populace as a result, rather than being their accepted ruler), and it’s also unsustainable: it simply wears out the one individual and makes him or her too easily susceptible to being distracted or simply lack the time to do a proper job of anything (too much ‘my back is turned so the mice play’ possibilities).
So as Caladeni doesn’t want all of these headaches but does very much want the support of the three women just mentioned, and they see things the same way, she’s allowing others to do far more than Vangey did.

Leader of the War Wizards isn’t an official title for the same reason both “Chariman” titles were invented: Vangerdahast (like his predecessors, the earlier “-ahast” mages) wanted it that way. Doing things unofficially slows opposition to any increase in personal power, and Vangey was always impatient with “all of these venal, grasping, self-interested and dull-witted do-nothings” at Court who “got in his way” of running Cormyr.

I’d like to caution you firmly AGAINST writing up for the War Wizards your proposed “executive board” (the quartet) that oversees day-to-day operations, and an “administrative or advisory board” (pre-existing the Emeritus title) of senior wizards each responsible for a different function or aspect of War Wizard operations (Purple Dragon attachments, Imperial Navy attachments, investigative teams, border outpost assignments, etc.).
What you envisage is what always develops in real-world fairly stable and prosperous countries, yes (massive, ever-expanding bureaucracy), and the modern American example is a case in point. It’s what Cormyr will develop over time, probably. But it’s definitely not what the Forest Kingdom has now, because Vangerdahast prevented it. He found a ‘strong right hand’ he could trust (Laspeera) because he had to sleep sometime and couldn’t effectively be in two places at once, but otherwise kept power concentrated in his own hands precisely to AVOID the turf-battles and infighting and inflexibility that develops (to use modern real-world America again, consider the decades of infighting between the CIA and the FBI, and the recent proliferation of security agencies all established for pretty much the same reason: executives in the White House at a particular time didn’t want to work with or through the CIA, FBI, NSA, and all of the existing others, but preferred their own new organization under their own personal control).
Like Vangey (so she could have the same freedom to act as he did) Laspeera had no formal title, but everyone at Court (and every last War Wizard) KNEW her authority, just as they did Vangey’s, and obeyed them both absolutely. Vangey spell-peered into Laspeera’s mind daily, and she submitted to this mental invasion willingly, knowing he constantly HAD to be sure she wasn’t getting traitorous thoughts or even wanting to do things differently from him: they had to speak as one, for the good of the realm.
Vangerdahast was firmly stamping out all tendencies among the War Wizards to form cliques (what could be worse for the Realm than a War Wizard traitor [with some War Wizard friends], perhaps acting with, or behind, the latest ambitious rebel nobles?), and worked hard to be the sort of boss who might turn up at the greenest War Wizard’s elbow to work with him or stare hard and critically at what he was doing, and so ‘cut out’ middle managers. The fact that all of the War Wizards wield magic makes the real-world parallels of memos and office misinformation and so on very weak.
So what Cormyr actually has is a quartet of old fussies who see to the formalities of who’s registered as a War Wizard and so on, NOT “day-to-day operations,” and it entirely lacks any “administrative or advisory board . . . of senior wizards each responsible for a different function or aspect of War Wizard operations.” Vangey consulted War Wizards (and sages, and just plain Cormyreans) about situations and places if he thought it was necessary, but he’d have no truck at all with an advisory board: he preferred either to gather information personally or to interrupt a War Wizard’s lovemaking after midnight to tell the fellow to “put the lass aside and get to Arabel, RIGHT NOW,” and talk to these dozen people and report back their views on Topic X.
There’s little point in anyone crafting Realmslore that’s knowingly different from ‘the official line’ or what’s soon going to be published (ahem), so forget the advisory board. Please.

So saith Ed. Who’s saving you work, Jerry, you fortunate fellow! I can add a note from Realmsplay to this: Torm wanted to know just who did what among the War Wizards (How does the command structure of the War Wizards work? Who gives orders to whom?), probably for purposes of subversion and bribery, and he discovered (the hard way) that Vangey gave all the orders, sometimes through various other War Wizards (not always the same ones), so no one really knew where they stood. Note the collegiality of the two chess-playing War Wizards we see briefly in the Cormyr novels (Elminster introduced Vangey to chess, of course, and its popularity swiftly spread among the War Wizards as they sought to please and emulate ‘the Old Man’ [Vangey]); this easygoing working together resulted from most War Wizards NOT resenting their rank and superiors - - because they can’t really tell what their own rank is, or their superiors are, except by rough age/experience and merit (with a FEW exceptions like the alarphons, Vangey, and Laspeera).
Ed and several of us ‘original players’ actually discussed this amorphous feature of the War Wizards once, and he said it, like many things in the Realms, was designed for maximum playability (maximum freedom for a DM). Of course, times of change (Azoun IV dead, Alusair as regent, and Vangey retired and Caladnei in his place) also make for maximum playability.
Cunning, cunning Ed . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Jan 2005 16:00:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000