Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Libraries of Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  14:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello out there!

I would lie to know if you have the time some of the grand libraires and halls in the relms. Of course their is candlekeep I also know of the spirit soaring and the Vaullt of Sages however are their any more. Please do tell. thanks

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  17:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Hello out there!

I would lie to know if you have the time some of the grand libraires and halls in the relms. Of course their is candlekeep I also know of the spirit soaring and the Vaullt of Sages however are their any more. Please do tell. thanks

The elves once had two libraries, the elder of which was called Intevar's Librarium. It was part of the elfin realm of Uvaeren, which used to occupy the area of Misteldale, but was destroyed (c.5,000 Before Dale Reckoning) when a great meteor fell from the heavens to cleave out the stretch of clear land that is modern Misteldale.

Intevar's Librarium was special for two reasons. First and foremost, it was said to house the collective knowledge of all elfkind. It was also well nigh empty of scrolls, books, and written materials of any kind. The elves of the Librarium are said to have encoded information within the structure itself, to be released in variouis ways, but my memory isn't clear enough to go into those.

Later, the elves of Myth Drannor built a library called Uvaeren's Legacy, within information similarly encoded within the structure itself. One chamber was called the Lore Spirits Chamber, and it was said to contain the spirits of ancient loremasters and scholars. These could be channelled through a host, but it is said that there was always the danger that the ghost might retain the body to recommence with its earthly life. There was also a towering room, the walls of which were fixed with all sorts of crystals, which were filled with memories. In the centre of the room sat a great chair, by which one could access the crystals or input new memories into them. However, if a non-elf attempted this the chance for insanity was very high.

Uvaeren's legacy receives some commentary in Cormanthyr : Empire of the Elves accessory.

There is also a book called the Lost Library of Cormanthor which might offer info on Intevar's Librarium, which is also mentioned in CEotT I think.

Beyond that, I can think of no specific examples, but I would think that almost any temple of Oghma or Deneir would sports half decent library.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

mauricio
Acolyte

Brazil
15 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  20:58:22  Show Profile  Visit mauricio's Homepage Send mauricio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Senbar!

There's also a library called The Leaves of Learning, which stands in a temple of Oghma in the city of High Moon. It's considered one of the biggest libraries in Faerūn, but it has no magical tomes or tomes related to the Art if I'm not mistaken. There more detailes about it in the FRCS, but I can't remember the exact page... I'll post it later when I can grab the book. There's a mention to it in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands as well, which is offered as a free downloaded at the Wizards of the Coast website.

"We can learn from the past, but those days are gone. We can hope for the future, but there might not be one."
- Dream Theater, "A Change of Seasons".
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  14:01:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can find a complete 3e write-up of the temple here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020529a.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

mauricio
Acolyte

Brazil
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  17:51:34  Show Profile  Visit mauricio's Homepage Send mauricio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, thanks much for the link... this web enhancement is one I had somehow missed, but I won't repeat the mistake.

"We can learn from the past, but those days are gone. We can hope for the future, but there might not be one."
- Dream Theater, "A Change of Seasons".
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  18:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read in a novel that in the southern areas of Calimshan in Calimport there was collection of lore or some sort of library is this true? And if so does it have a name?

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  16:15:17  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are at least two in Calimport. In the Quill Ward(more middle city) is The Imperium Archives and The Sultan's Library, protected by a ward that keeps books and paper fresh and new.

BT
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  03:29:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And pray forget not the great libraries of Silverymoon! (Silver Marches) Or Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Suzail, and oh, so many more. Ed Greenwood is, after all, a mild-mannered librarian by day, in the real world . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  03:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then of cause theres the Heralds Libary that Drizzt and the Companions of the Hall visit in Streams of Silver

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  06:55:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iron Dragon Mountain in the Earthfast Mtns. northwest of Impiltur is a good one - see 'Faiths & Avatars' and the write-up of Deneir.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  04:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhh there are so I don't think i could remember them all if i tried all night anyway thanks for the info guys!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  20:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

You can find a complete 3e write-up of the temple here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020529a.

--Eric

This link now connects to the WOTC home page. Will someone please be kind enough to post a current link or or at least the title, so I may search the Wizards site for it? Thank you.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  21:00:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

--Eric

This link now connects to the WOTC home page. Will someone please be kind enough to post a current link or or at least the title, so I may search the Wizards site for it? Thank you.

Try http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Leaves_of_Learning.zip for direct download.

However the reason the link is not working appears be cause of a ( . ) at the end og the Url

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020529a. (will not work)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020529a (does work for me)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  03:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

--Eric

Try http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Leaves_of_Learning.zip for direct download.

However the reason the link is not working appears be cause of a ( . ) at the end og the Url

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020529a. (will not work)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020529a (does work for me)

Merci buckets.

Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  00:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the realm of Semphar there is a LARGE magical university and library combined (presumably in Dhaztanar), but its name escapes me.
I'm sure, the east being enlightened as it is, that there are many libraries in Kara-Tur. Semphar doesn't count as Kara-Tur.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  02:57:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

In the realm of Semphar there is a LARGE magical university and library combined (presumably in Dhaztanar), but its name escapes me.
Yes, the university is situated in Dhaztanar. It is famous amongst many of the great southern sages, mostly for its collection of wondrous knowledge.

The Horde boxed set has more on both the city and the university.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jun 2005 02:57:59
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  16:42:08  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two more I can think of. The great library on Mt. Talath in Halruaa is supposed to be the greatest collection of magic in Faerun. Then there was also a library during the time of the Creator Races called Draeshada.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  21:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few from Lost Empires of Faerun:

The Purple Library, located in Deep Imaskar, is another good spot detailing Imaskari lore and magic.

The Sorrowwood, constructed during Aryvandaar, although not a library per se, grants visions and such.

Xothol, located in the southwestern Graypeaks, was a dwarven college of wizardry built by Ammarindar in preparation for war with Netheril and likely still contains quite a bit of magical knowledge, as it was sealed after Netheril's fall.

The Earthvault, overseen by the dao Diuthaizos, has recorded Shanatar's history for thirteen thousand years.

The Monastery of St. Fanal has a library of historical tomes from 132 DR detailing the Lake of Steam.

Edited by - Ty on 01 Jul 2005 21:22:29
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

A few from Lost Empires of Faerun:

The Purple Library, located in Deep Imaskar, is another good spot detailing Imaskari lore and magic.

The Sorrowwood, constructed during Aryvandaar, although not a library per se, grants visions and such.

Xothol, located in the southwestern Graypeaks, was a dwarven college of wizardry built by Ammarindar in preparation for war with Netheril and likely still contains quite a bit of magical knowledge, as it was sealed after Netheril's fall.

The Earthvault, overseen by the dao Diuthaizos, has recorded Shanatar's history for thirteen thousand years.

The Monastery of St. Fanal has a library of historical tomes from 132 DR detailing the Lake of Steam.

Thank you for sharing that. I don't have that book, but at least I'll know what to look for in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  23:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also Spirit Soaring in eastern Erlkazar, home to Cadderly Bonaduce, Chosen of Deneir.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  00:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! I can finally contribute something!

The Vault of the Sages is in Silverymoon.

Herald's Holdfast is west of Silverymoon and has an even larger collection, possibly the largest in the North.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up Dhaztanar in The Horde boxed set, and I am curious about it's fate after the Tuigan attacked Semphar. Was it ransacked or burned?

Another city which may have a library is Bhaluin, which is more than 4300 years old and is the seat of a mixed community of undead and living humans. They may well have a wealth of literary and arcane books from the days of the (old) Imaskar Empire.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 03 Jul 2005 02:45:59
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  17:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also there is Kraanfhaor's Door about 100mi south of Secomber, in the ruins of one of Miyritar's greatest mage schools. Some believe that the great library of Kraanfhaor may still stand behind this door and finding it would unlock many secrets of elven high magic. - roughly paraphrased from pg 58-59 of LEoF.

oh and where is this Draeshada library described?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 05 May 2006 15:09:49
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  10:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres also the rumoured 'Mirror-Library' that Candlekeep supposedly has somewhere in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  06:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can think of two more suggestions, one of them a longshot:

The Green Room in Ruathym: Not sure if its a formal library, but I remember a few mage tomes being linked with it.

Also, the king's tear of Everard Farseer mentioned in one of the stories in Realms of (Valor? or Infamy? one of them)supposedly contains glimpses of that king's library.

Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  04:00:04  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a library as such, but Yartar is the home of Esklindrar, a sage with "the best mind for books this side of Candlekeep" according to Elminster (as quoted in Volo's Guide to the North). His shop is filled with thousands of books, treasure maps, and folios.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  21:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, good info. I shall use this information wisely! By seeking out each one in game. My DM is going to hate me.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2006 :  22:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned, or isn't technically a library, but what of the location of "Canticle"? The name escapes me, but I recall it being a place of learning far to the north.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2006 :  23:14:05  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Lucius

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned, or isn't technically a library, but what of the location of "Canticle"? The name escapes me, but I recall it being a place of learning far to the north.

I think you mean the one in Erlkazar? I think that is the one Brian R James mentioned above; Erlkazar is east of Amn and Tethyr. I have only read the first book of the series, so I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  03:11:44  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for the sages here.

How detailed is the library at Waterdeep? What i mean by that is, how far back would the information go, and would the library have information on such things as poisons, Artifacts, and the like?

Or would only Candlekeep have that kind of information?

I have a member of my group that is on a quest to find a cure for his wife who was poisoned by a vrey rare poison. I have him heading there in the hopes of finding some info' on the poison and also the cure, which is an Artifact. This artifact is the only thing that can cure the poison, nothing else will work.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  22:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

I have a question for the sages here.

How detailed is the library at Waterdeep? What i mean by that is, how far back would the information go, and would the library have information on such things as poisons, Artifacts, and the like?

Or would only Candlekeep have that kind of information?

I have a member of my group that is on a quest to find a cure for his wife who was poisoned by a vrey rare poison. I have him heading there in the hopes of finding some info' on the poison and also the cure, which is an Artifact. This artifact is the only thing that can cure the poison, nothing else will work.

Oghma's Font of Knowledge would have at least something on poisons and that like. There's even a slight chance they might know a temple of Talona somewheres that would have EXACTLY what you might need (or they might, for ease of play, have an old temple book of poisons and antidotes within their library).

I've always seen the Font of Knowledge as a great cathedral of learning with an exchange program with Candlekeep and all the schools and libraries of Luruar so they can copy books and share the info.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2008 :  17:37:57  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Steven. It helps a lot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000