Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Tunlands?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  20:44:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
You ever notice that the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know?

I've been searching high and low for any relevant information on the Tunlands, historic and current, but the really isn't anything specific, is there? Just an an occassional mention in other products...

Was Thaeravel one of the two kingdoms mentioned in the 'Cormyrian Marshes' supplement? I get the feeling that they are talking about that one and Anauria, even though the two were not technically contemporaries (some of their territory appears to overlap). I chalk this up to Anauria being a Netheril survivor-state, and the conflict mentioned in 'folklore' refers to Netheril's destruction of the Land of Alabaster Towers.

1) Do I have this right, or am I once again mistaken?

2) What sources have any informationon the Tunlands?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  07:19:11  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this is Lost Empires or Underdark, but look for articles dealing with the 'exodus' from Shanatar. One of the first dwarven kingdoms established on the northward trek lies under the Marsh - IIRC this is what the text in Elminster's Ecologies aludes to regarding a 'lost city' in the marsh...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  08:40:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed touched briefly on the Tunlands in his June '05 replies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  09:55:58  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Not sure if this is Lost Empires or Underdark, but look for articles dealing with the 'exodus' from Shanatar. One of the first dwarven kingdoms established on the northward trek lies under the Marsh - IIRC this is what the text in Elminster's Ecologies aludes to regarding a 'lost city' in the marsh...

Well, either I help or I misunderstood the question of the post from thie beginning.

However, acording to the Underdark sourcebook Oghrann, an old dwarven kingdom, lies under the Plains of Tun. Might that be what you remembered Huzal? The books sais not much but look on p. 166.

For more on this kingdom see also 2nd. Ed. sourcebook Dwarves Deep, p. 58.

For more on the Marsh of Tun see El's Ecologies Box Set- Cormyrean Marshes , p. 5.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 05 Aug 2007 10:19:37
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  11:20:30  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, Oghrann is the 'lost kingdom/city' alluded to in El's Ecologies.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  12:36:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You ever notice that the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know?

I've been searching high and low for any relevant information on the Tunlands, historic and current, but the really isn't anything specific, is there? Just an an occassional mention in other products...

Was Thaeravel one of the two kingdoms mentioned in the 'Cormyrian Marshes' supplement? I get the feeling that they are talking about that one and Anauria, even though the two were not technically contemporaries (some of their territory appears to overlap). I chalk this up to Anauria being a Netheril survivor-state, and the conflict mentioned in 'folklore' refers to Netheril's destruction of the Land of Alabaster Towers.

1) Do I have this right, or am I once again mistaken?

2) What sources have any informationon the Tunlands?

Thaeravel was to the north of Netheril IIRC.

One very interesting tidbit re the Tunlands is found in "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast": it mentions a city known as Urdrath (sp?), which appears to have been a type of gathering place for the nomadic tribes/horsemen of the region. Perhaps it was a meeting place between these people and Jhaamdathi, Calishite and Low Netherese traders ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  13:43:29  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or tying in to the nomadic people hinted at in the Asbravn* description in the same Volo's Guide... or did you have that entry in mind George?

* IIRC, if not Asbravn, then certainly another locale in the Sunset Vale. Those nomads are one of the mysterious and not yet fully covered ethnic groups to-date.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 05 Aug 2007 13:47:38
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  15:14:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's the one. Thanks Mumadar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  06:54:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Krash - in LEoF, pg. 106 it states that Rasilith was the capitol of Thaeravel when that kingdom was destroyed by Netheril. The Netherese then rebuilt the city and claimed it for themselves. The city lies in the deep southern portion of Anauroch, and Netheril was centered around the Narrow sea to the North. I believe you were thinking of Isstosseffifil and it's capitol, Oreme.

Found a whole list of fallen kingdoms in the 2e boxed set Grand Tour of the Realms (pg. 125), and it has a little info on Oghrann. That source makes it appear it was located inside the two mountain ranges, and also occupied the surface of the Tun River Vale.

Asram was another local survivor state of Netheril that those goblins constantly warred with, and I ran across a funny coincidence. Talona was responsible for destroying that civilization when she battled Kipputyo(!), and I found a 'legend' in the old CS sources about twin city-states occupying the two swamps, that went to war over something stupid. The chief advisors of both ciites were old crones, and it was found out afterword at least one of them was Talona! Now, if the other was Kipputyo.......

New question - was there ever a name for the Goblin Kingdom in the Stonelands? I know the dark mysterious being who ruled them was named Hlundadim, but I can't seem to find any name for the kingdom itself. Source says that most of them fled north when the desert encroached, and took Tethyamar from the Dwarves. Trying to find refernces to the Batle of bones at this point, since it was the last time goblinoids from that region acted in unison.

Found a few more local kingdoms in LEoF, and Dragon #228, but still no name for the goblin kingdom that was powerful enough to take out Anauria.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2007 09:26:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  12:06:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That goblin realm was named Hlundadim after its founder. Look for more information in GHotR.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Aug 2007 12:06:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  18:38:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You ROCK!!! <insert dancin' smiley>

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  19:07:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Thaeravel was to the north of Netheril IIRC.

I think it was to the south of "Old Netheril" (Seventon) actually. Seventon was way up north in the Netheril boxed set IIRC. Thaeravel matches up with a ruined city mentioned in FR13 - Anauroch starting with an O... down in the south.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  20:40:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're talking about Orofin I believe that was part of Anauria, the survivor-state, although I read some things that say Port Miir was a "rowdy" independent port town, even though it too appears to have fallen out in Anauaria.

The Map of 'Old Anauria' is an insert on the Anauroch map.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Aug 2007 05:10:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  05:16:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or perhaps it was Ordlin?

For anyone intersted, I finished the the Stonelands campaighn Map, which you can see here -

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/61560107/

And the DMs source-map for the same campaign.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/61638702/

Note, the maps are 98% canon, and you should read the Artists Comments below all my maps to find out what changes I may have made. Mostly I just add in woods for looks, but I added a town to each of these maps.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Aug 2007 05:16:48
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  16:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you're talking about Orofin I believe that was part of Anauria, the survivor-state, although I read some things that say Port Miir was a "rowdy" independent port town, even though it too appears to have fallen out in Anauaria.

The Map of 'Old Anauria' is an insert on the Anauroch map.

Are you referring to the 3E Anauroch adventure??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  17:51:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, no...

The Map of Old Anauria was an inset on the 2e Anauroch product.

I tried to do my best at erasing the fold-line on that map, sorry it's not so great.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  00:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, no...

I tried to do my best at erasing the fold-line on that map, sorry it's not so great.

??????????? What the hell???? My copy doesn't have that map in it...but it is mentioned within.....stupid EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  01:27:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

Actually, no...

??????????? What the hell???? My copy doesn't have that map in it...but it is mentioned within.....stupid EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to check, but I may have two copies of that map. Though I lost all my FR stuff last year, the maps survived (including the Trail Maps, thank Lurue). Since I have replaced most of the stuff (I actually now own more FR material than I did before the fire!), I've got several duplicate maps.

If I do have a duplicate, I'll ping you and we can work something out.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  03:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertIf I do have a duplicate, I'll ping you and we can work something out.

Thanks Wooly, that would help me complete my collection (only a few more items to go, not counting the EXTREMELY rare RPGA stuff).

Edited by - Alisttair on 11 Jun 2008 03:17:50
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  16:08:18  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

(I actually now own more FR material than I did before the fire!)
That is good news to hear. When I first started hanging out here on a regular basis last September you were still trying to recoup your losses.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  16:56:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

(I actually now own more FR material than I did before the fire!)
That is good news to hear. When I first started hanging out here on a regular basis last September you were still trying to recoup your losses.

Well, I've still got a lot of novels to replace, from many different genres. And while I've replaced most of the FR stuff, there's still a lot of D&D and AD&D stuff to replace. And though I only need a handful of FR items, all but one of the ones left were ones I had before.

I have replaced all my Dragonstar stuff, and almost all of the BattleTech game books...

Right now I'm unemployed (I got downsized ), so replacing stuff is very much on the back burner.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  00:13:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
If I do have a duplicate, I'll ping you and we can work something out.

Thanks Wooly, that would help me complete my collection (only a few more items to go, not counting the EXTREMELY rare RPGA stuff).

I checked this afternoon, and I do not have a duplicate of that map. Sorry about that...

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  11:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I checked this afternoon, and I do not have a duplicate of that map. Sorry about that...

Hey no prob, I printed out the one from the link so that works for me. Thanks anyways and glad to hear yo got al your old (and more) FR stuff back.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  17:31:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hey no prob, I printed out the one from the link so that works for me. Thanks anyways and glad to hear yo got al your old (and more) FR stuff back.

I take it back!

I'm in the process of moving... I have a box of maps at the new house. I erroneously thought it was all of them. I was looking thru that box yesterday, thinking it was odd that there wasn't more in it. And I just now found the other box. I do indeed have two maps from Anauroch. So PM me and we'll see about getting it to you.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jun 2008 17:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  17:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly. Will PM you right away!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  16:08:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you are referring to the link I provided, that is just a TINY inset on a MUCH larger map.

If you didn't have that, then you are missing one of the primary reasons for owning the supplement. There are quite a few details to the Anauroch that appear on no other product.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000