Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Flaming Fist headquarters in Baldur's Gate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  07:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there!
I'm still working on the Baldur's Gate map and I have encountered another problem. In "Gold & Glory" (2nd ed. sourcebook) it is said that Flaming Fist has it's headquarters in the city of Baldur's Gate. "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast" mentions about it as well, yet (as it was with the horrible wall dividing the city) it is not marked on any map of Baldur's Gate. Does anyone possibly know which building may it be?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  18:04:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always figured that some of them lived in the palace.... But maybe go ask Ed. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  20:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Hi there!
I'm still working on the Baldur's Gate map and I have encountered another problem. In "Gold & Glory" (2nd ed. sourcebook) it is said that Flaming Fist has it's headquarters in the city of Baldur's Gate. "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast" mentions about it as well, yet (as it was with the horrible wall dividing the city) it is not marked on any map of Baldur's Gate. Does anyone possibly know which building may it be?

Not off the top of my head, and most likely it's not been identified (though I'll be happy to be proven wrong). Here's some ways to place it (from an old "Geez, another bit of minutiae I have to shoehorn in to make sure a reference is complete and balanced, etc." veteran):

Look at the novels and/or game products that note the organization and members. If there are directionals or descriptions to work from in those sources, make sure the building noted on the map fits ALL of them. (I.E. if a novel notes that "Judmnar could hear the sound of the sea slapping against the nearby piers outside the windows of the building," then you'd best place it down along the water, eh?)

If no such specifics are either hindering or defining, then make sure it fits the cardinal details of the group and/or the gist of the group. In other words, it's a very rich bunch o' warriors; it goes to stand that they'd have large warehouses for equipment and stables for horses, armories for weaponry, and large rooms/arenas for training etc. That by nature makes for a very large building or series of buildings indeed. Thus, unless there's large buildings that'd work for this, I'd suggest the Fist took over an unmarked nobles' villa (enclosed by a wall for security and also encompassing all their stuff). If nothing else, it would probably be within the areas where the money is in Baldur's Gate but with easy access by seedier/rougher mercenary elements (i.e. close to a border, not in the midst of money). They won't necessarily need access to smithing et al since they'll employ many of their own.

Last notice of all--if it's another temple complex as well, it's not going to be near any established temple of Tempus.

I'm also unable to track down a BG map at present, so these guesses above will have to suffice for now. Hope the logic strings help.

Steven Schend

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Aleta_Delryn
Acolyte

Australia
38 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  05:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Aleta_Delryn's Homepage Send Aleta_Delryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know- I've got a map here (from a walkthrough)

It's the fourth building from the right- The big castle looking one that has the two banners at the entrance that are red with a gold flaming fist (their symbol thingy)

Does that help at all?

If at first I don't succeed...the wife won't let me forget
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:48:27  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Verghityax,

Here is some wiki information for you:

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Flaming_Fist
https://guides.gamepressure.com/baldursgatesiegeofdragonspear/guide.asp?ID=34981

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Hi there!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000