Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Myth Drannor?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  17:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

after an hour of joyful rereading "elminster in myth drannor", i found the sentence that i knew existed somewhere within this novel:

EiMD, page 353:
Henceforth, though our realm shall remain Cormanthor, this city shall be known as Myth Drannor, in honor of the Mythal Mythantar shall craft for us, and for Drannor, the first elf of Cormanthor known to have married a dwarven lass, long ago though that may be."

i concluded the following from that quote:
- the word "mythal" does not derive from Mythantar. if it would, mythantar would have named the spell after himself, something i did not read anywhere (or between the lines). imo it is more logical that way, because else there would have been a different name for mythals before mythantar.

- the origin of the "drannor"- part. do we know more of that elf? apart from EiMD i´ve never heard of him.

Thanks for the reminder here. I don't recall there being any other lore or mention of Drannor before or since the EiMD novel. Too bad, really, as I'm seeing his relationship with a dwarven woman being a fantasy medieval version of THE HONEYMOONERS in reverse.

SES
Who knows that anything his brain can conjure pales compared to what rattles loose from Ed's graying pate...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  20:07:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Thanks for the reminder here. I don't recall there being any other lore or mention of Drannor before or since the EiMD novel. Too bad, really, as I'm seeing his relationship with a dwarven woman being a fantasy medieval version of THE HONEYMOONERS in reverse.

SES
Who knows that anything his brain can conjure pales compared to what rattles loose from Ed's graying pate...

So what manner of person would Norton be, in this version of the Honeymooners?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  08:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

SES

So what manner of person would Norton be, in this version of the Honeymooners?

Halfling, without a doubt, given the size of medieval sewers; besides, they're the only race that can make that battered fedora look work on them.

Steven
Post no double-entendres here

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  09:01:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent answer! I can see a halfling wearing a hat like that, too!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ChewyGumbal
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  18:04:51  Show Profile  Visit ChewyGumbal's Homepage Send ChewyGumbal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the elven cities that have mythals all have "myth" infromt of their name, why isn't Evereska, Myth Evereska besides sounding bad?

Does ne1 know wat Evereskas mythal did b4 the phearim attacked?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  20:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChewyGumbal

If the elven cities that have mythals all have "myth" infromt of their name, why isn't Evereska, Myth Evereska besides sounding bad?

Does ne1 know wat Evereskas mythal did b4 the phearim attacked?

One simple answer/excuse could be that it's not a hard and fast rule and if you want to keep the existence of your mythal secret from outsiders (so's they don't know all your defenses), you don't rename the city when the mythal goes up.

Steven Schend
Who's put up a mythal or two in the past

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:35:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker richtinIII,

The comprehensive list:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mythal

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by richtinIII

What does Mythal mean?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page