Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 FR Archive games under Windows XP
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chabat
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  19:08:57  Show Profile  Visit chabat's Homepage Send chabat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, New to this Forum...
Does The forgotten realms PC Game (games, pool of radiance, Hillsfar, Secret of Silver Blades.. etc...) work with Windows XP?
The one I was looking at was:
FORGOTTEN REALMS THE ARCHIVES COLLECTION TWO
I realize it was designed for windows 95/98, but I just thought maybe one of you had the game and could tell me...

Thanks

Edited by - Alaundo on 25 Jul 2004 10:24:54

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  20:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as far as I know, it does, however, this thread should have been started under the PC related forum.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  20:36:32  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pool of Radiance worked for me at least, as for some older games that operates in DOS only have had some problems getting in a running condition. I guess a try and see what happens is the only sure answer.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  21:32:06  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anything that will run in 95/98(at least for the most part) will run in xp.

Right click, go to properties, go to compatability, and you can tell xp to pretend to be msot any windows system you want.

Worst case scenario, copy the cd's contents yto your hardrive, and do the compatibility mojo there, and then install it from the hard drive.

I hd to do that with my '93 games. But definitely try a regular install and then doing compatability first.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

chabat
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  19:02:56  Show Profile  Visit chabat's Homepage Send chabat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karesch

as far as I know, it does, however, this thread should have been started under the PC related forum.

K

Methinks, Is this your way of welcoming a new member? An it please thee, excuse mine ignorance of all the areas on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  19:32:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chabat
Methinks, Is this your way of welcoming a new member? An it please thee, excuse mine ignorance of all the areas on this forum.

Chabat,

I fail to see anything wrong with Karesch pointing out where the thread should have gone. He was not rude or condescending, but simply letting you know in the future where such a topic would go.

Apologies if that offends you, but I don't think your quoted post above was very fair to Karesch.

As it is, welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy your stay.

SB
Go to Top of Page

chabat
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  15:59:07  Show Profile  Visit chabat's Homepage Send chabat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies to Karesch.

Sorry if I was over-reacting. But I would like to say that I felt "Not Welcome" by the short post and then telling me to post elsewhere. It is not so much the information that was given, but the way it was given to a 1st time poster.

Again, I apologize for being sensitive. I guess when I come to a new place, and I am not sure if the people are nice and all, it makes you a little more sensitive upon being corrected.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  16:19:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chabat
Sorry if I was over-reacting. But I would like to say that I felt "Not Welcome" by the short post and then telling me to post elsewhere. It is not so much the information that was given, but the way it was given to a 1st time poster.

Sorry you felt that way. Try posting a introduction message in the Welcome forum. Trust me, you'll get a very positive response.
Go to Top of Page

chabat
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  16:24:00  Show Profile  Visit chabat's Homepage Send chabat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sirius, That makes me feel better and welcome also. I appreciate your patience with me.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  03:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Chabat,

Welcome to CandleKeep
Since I haven't seen you at the Welome forum, I'd thought I'd say hi here.

There you go, we are a friendly bunch after all

Don't read too much bewteen the lines as you'll see things that aren't really there, and end up upsetting no-one but yourself.
Anyway, on with your topic:
I found that a lot of the old PC D&D games are hell to run under newer versions of Windows as there were writen for DOS based systems.
The DOS games want to access various bits but Windows is already doing that thus setting up various system conflicts etc.
Win 95 is probably your best bet in running old DOS based games as it was the the first Win system that came after DOS but still had a load of DOS based software about that wasw being used.
I always liked the old SSI games, Pool of Radiance etc.
They did another one which was even better though not a D&D game: Wizards Crown. There's a freeware version around somewhere now on the net if you'd never seen it before.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000