Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  23:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are the most powerful (destructive) spells that have been thrown? There are so many spells that I have heard about, but I don't know the best ones...also what are the most powerful weapons in FR?

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  03:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the most powerful spell I've seen thrown around was "Fire Spiders". Beats any of the maximized, enhanced Flame Strikes my epic level cleric threw around on a regular basis.....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  05:39:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  06:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ball Lightning is pretty nasty.

As is an Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball.

On Epic Levels, I especially like the double-empowered version of it. Hard to beat 20d6 * 2 points of damage... If you have the Master of Elements ability from Archmage, be sure to change it to the appropriate energy form... Like, cold when going against a fire creature. Ebil damage *grin*

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  08:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why must everything be about destruction, though? There are plenty of highly useful spells that don't deal any damage.

One of my favorites: Prestidigitation.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  08:53:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is true. And, I would have to agree.

Let us not forget that most any type of divination spell, cast at the appropriate time, and at the appropriate place, can be just as dangerous as any fireball...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  11:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...because he asked for destructive spells *grin*

I myself prefer other, more... subtle approaches. And have a more mundane combat spell as a backup - I tell you, most people simply do not expect an empowered fireball from a necromancer or enchanter...

And I agree, Prestidigitation is one of the nicest spell in the book...

Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  12:47:47  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I myself have always seen wish as the end-all, most powerful spell. It seems to take care of almost every situation, since it is very open-ended. The interesting part comes when the DM is feeling grumpy and decides to "interpret" the wish in a slightly different angle than what the player had in mind.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  19:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Well, I myself have always seen wish as the end-all, most powerful spell. It seems to take care of almost every situation, since it is very open-ended. The interesting part comes when the DM is feeling grumpy and decides to "interpret" the wish in a slightly different angle than what the player had in mind.
If you DM doesn't make your Wish backfire every time, he's not doing his job right...or my first DM may have just made me a little jaded, it's tough to decide at this point. Truthfully, in my experience a lot of DMs make Wishes generally backfire as a matter of point, especially since players tend to leave their Wishes way too open for interpretation if they are inexperienced with them. Besides, it's an amusing opportunity for the DM to throw you a curve; in my groups a Wish spell is like Russian Roulette, but with five bullets instead of one. On that point, I agree Wish is a very destructive spell, just in my experience destructive for the players.

As far as actually damage inducing magic, nothing beats Fireball. Maybe not the most powerful, but it has that classic flavour to it, doesn't it? Plus, with Master of Elements, you can do all sorts of fun things to it. Another spell that is neat is Horrid Wilting, mainly because it scales with the mage, making it pretty annoying if the the mage is say, around level 40.

Of course, Epic Magic can be universally destructive, but that's a whole 'nother bag of nuts, since an epic level caster can create almost any kind of spell they want, including some pretty disgustingly overpowered ones. Speaking of custom spells, I have to give honorable mention to Xander's Storm of Devestation and Wrath of Shadowstar, two spells that featured in my campaign back during Second Edition and redefined the definition of 'cheese', 'overpowered', and 'unfair'. Aren't I a stinker?

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  04:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say that, Spell Sequencer (which allows up to 3 spells of 4th level or lower) when combined with 3 fireballs would have to be one of the most powerful/destructive spell(s) that could be used. The potential variables can be dissuading, but if your a sufficiently high level arcane spellcaster, then the sheer volume of the variables would (I think) inevitably lead to a hellish blaze no-matter what. For instance, a 10th level caster, which is where the variables stop climbing for fireball, would be sending out 30d6 worth of fireball damage. And if you had the "Master of Elements" feat, then you would be able to change the dmg type to overcome any elemental immunities a creature might have to fire. So, I'd say IMHO that would have to be amongst the most powerful spells dmg-wise that is available.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  05:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think wish is the most "potentially" destructive spell.
By the nine hells, you need a lawyer just to make sure that the wording is ABSOLUTELY correct and not subject to any ambiguity or twisting of the intention, and anyone here knows that lawyers are really Tan'ari that have escaped from the pit

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  06:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baatezu actually. Lawful Evil and stuff *grin*
On a serious note, Baatezu sometimes do remind me of lawyers...

Hmmm, empowered fireballs in a spell sequencer...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  06:45:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

I think wish is the most "potentially" destructive spell.
By the nine hells, you need a lawyer just to make sure that the wording is ABSOLUTELY correct and not subject to any ambiguity or twisting of the intention, and anyone here knows that lawyers are really Tan'ari that have escaped from the pit

Hey now, let's not be too insulting to those from the Lower Planes.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  07:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Baatezu actually. Lawful Evil and stuff *grin*
On a serious note, Baatezu sometimes do remind me of lawyers...

Hmmm, empowered fireballs in a spell sequencer...

Ahh yes my mistake

Wooly Rupert, you are a very amusing fellow with that crack about insulting those in thge lower planes
I must now take extra care not to further draw their ire upon me -
I might get hit with a summons! GASP!

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  22:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The limits on "Spell Sequencer" are 3 spells of 4th level or lower, so you can't really empower them, as that requires a lift in spell level that puts it as higher than 4th. I'm not sure if there's a "Greater Spell Sequencer" that may allow for higher level spells. if there is, then you could empower them and that would be devestating.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000