Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gods
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  21:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the difference between a deity and entity?

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  22:42:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Courtesy of Dictionary.com:

Entity:
quote:
Something that exists as a particular and discrete unit

Deity:

quote:
A god or goddess

A deity could be considered an entity, but so could a person, an animal, a business, etc.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  23:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for asking such a beginners question, I have been into FR for only a year now and really don't know to much about gods, planes, or any other thing of that sort...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  00:16:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

Sorry for asking such a beginners question, I have been into FR for only a year now and really don't know to much about gods, planes, or any other thing of that sort...

No worries -- at one point in time, all of us were new to the Realms. I myself was confused by many things when I first got into the Realms, and at that time, there wasn't nearly as much material and lore out there as there is now!

The best info on the gods of the Forgotten Realms can be found in the three 2nd edition 'godbooks': Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. All three of those books are very rich in lore, and well worth the price.

Some of the info is a bit dated, but this site has a lot of info on the gods of the Realms:

http://toril.info/FaA.greater.htm

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  01:44:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The best info on the gods of the Forgotten Realms can be found in the three 2nd edition 'godbooks': Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. All three of those books are very rich in lore, and well worth the price.

Dantrag,

If you're interested in obtaining these now Out of Print resources, RPGNow has them available as PDF downloads for $4.95 each.

I'll echo WR's comments. These three tomes are exactly what I think would be most beneficial to you if you wish to learn a great deal of lore about the FR deities.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 18 Jul 2004 01:46:04
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  02:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both...one of the reasons I don't know to much about the realms, is that I have never played D&D...there I admitted it...

Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  02:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question I have is why don't the authors write about the other continent in Toril's Plane?

Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  03:06:18  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another question I have is why don't the authors write about the other continent in Toril's Plane?

Which contenent?
There was a trilogy set in Meztica writen 10 or so years ago.
And if IIRC, there has also been books written in Kara-tur and Zakahara(sp?).

The marketing answer to your question is that books are written for areas tha WotC wishes books to be written in.
If they do not wish to see books published in areas other then Faerun, we will not see them.

Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  03:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

quote:

Which contenent?

The marketing answer to your question is that books are written for areas tha WotC wishes books to be written in.
If they do not wish to see books published in areas other then Faerun, we will not see them.

In the game Icewind Dale, there was another continent they talked about...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  03:19:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Which contenent?

I'm not familiar with any of the computer games, but they were likely referring to Maztica.

Maztica is one of many continents on Toril. Sadly, there seems to be little official interest in exploring these other continents.

Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  03:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...well, that would make a good book...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  04:32:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you both...one of the reasons I don't know to much about the realms, is that I have never played D&D...there I admitted it...

Nothing big about that fact. I know individuals who have never gamed in the Realms but enjoy the FR fiction offerings.
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  04:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to, though I can't find anyone of my age in my area that wants to play...

Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  23:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dantrang, if there's nobody in your area, a possibility for you, might be to give PbeM a shot. I believe somewhere on this site, there is a group of people setting something of that sort up, and I think there's a couple ongoing groups that are regulars here aswell. It's not quite the same as playing in a group face to face, but it can still be quite enjoyable. Anyhow, it's a suggestion.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  02:56:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which contenent?

I'm not familiar with any of the computer games, but they were likely referring to Maztica.

Maztica is one of many continents on Toril. Sadly, there seems to be little official interest in exploring these other continents.

The now-famous 'Campaign Classics' issue of Dragon (January #315) had some information on Maztica in the 3e D&D environment. It was mostly PrC data (obviously ), but there was some other basic information about the land too, if I recall correctly...

As for the other continent mentioned in the IWD game (there you go Arivia, there's a few acronyms you've missed )... I don't seem to remember that particular part of the game. Perhaps you could be a little more specific?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  03:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LoL, it's nice to see so much response to that thread I started. It's something i've meant to do awhile, and kept forgetting to do. I've already had a couple clarified for me.

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  04:06:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We exist to clarify... We are the Scribes of Candlekeep .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  05:57:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

We exist to clarify... We are the Scribes of Candlekeep .

Ooh, that almost sounds like something that should lead into a theme song!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  07:10:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is... sort of . It's from an old campaign of mine that was based (loosely) on the events from Crucible. I'd wanted to give the monks of Candlekeep an extra depth of "realism", and an easy-to-remember-chant seemed to be the best way (at the time). The monks would often use that phrasing after performing some kind of task for a visitor, or dignified person who happened to be passing by.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  09:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

My oh my, yet another scroll which has lost its track 'tis quite a vague scroll title admittedly, but lets please try to keep the discussion relevant. Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  09:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a radio ad for a gardening store chain I heard a while back -- it mostly consisted of people coming up to ask questions of this one employee, who would always say "That's why we're here."

As to continents of Toril, there are, I think, at least five. There could be more, depending on how you split things up -- for instance, long before continental plates were even thought of, North and South America were considered two continents, so the area of Toril now thought of as Maztica could be called two as well. (Any one think that the shape of that landmass is an accident? )

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  09:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Alaundo . . . didn't really pay attention to the supposed subject.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  15:19:27  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I belive an Entity is something that is not worshiped and is something foriegn to the charactor/charactors.

A diety is worship and is usually known to be well known in fact people could spot them easily (if not disguised)

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000