Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Lord of Murder shall perish..............
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  04:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I just asked Thamlin over at Enworld what the Deathstalker of Bhaal was like in Dragon 322 and said the following

"They murder in the name of Bhaal to bring him back to life. They must murder at least once every tenday in the heart of the night.
Prereqs: LE, Hide 5 ranks, Move Silently 5 ranks, Survival 2 ranks, Quick Draw, ability to cast 3rd level divine spells. (Clerics must have access to the Death or Destruction domain). Must have murdered at least 16 sentient creatures using 16 different weapons or methods.
Dethstalkers have good Will saves. Every 2 levels they gain +1 level in casting ability of 1 existing divine spellcasting class. Specials include Death Attack (after 3 rounds of study, a successful sneak attack can either kill or paralyze, your choice, if victim fails Fort save), Sneak Attack +1d6 at even levels (stacks with existing abilities), Bloodlust (Rage a victim to attack another), and Last Breath of Bhaal (if slain in the service of Bhaal, affected as by Raise Dead cast by 12th level cleric).
d8 HD, 4 skill points"

Interesting

I wonder if the Dead 3 (Well really Dead 2 as Banes already back) are about to make a come back...

Mykruls in the Crown of Horns with a potential come back strategy in Mere of Dead Men (See Eric Boyds Eye of Mykrul module)

Bhaals now got a bunch of priest running around trying to ressurect him

Be interested to see whose granting spells to the Deathstalkers after all one of reqs is must have Death or Destrucction domain AND must be LE.

Which Limits it to Bane, Kossuth and Velsharoon

Kossuth seems unlikely (although he does have his own Assassins in the Form of the Black Flame Zealot)Velsharoons basicly the god of Necromancers and Undead not huge tie to Murder.

Which leaves Bane, hes got a history with Bhaal and bringing Bhaal back would PO Cyric who Banes got a beef with.

So Id say its Bane unless Bhaal has left something around that allows his clerics to draw spells from it

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  05:50:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eye of Myrkul module? Where can this be found?

I obviously don't know what's in that module, but I should again like to point out that according to the City of Splendors boxed set, Myrkul is quite content to not be a god and thus not have to worry about Ao's decrees.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  06:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I obviously don't know what's in that module, but I should again like to point out that according to the City of Splendors boxed set, Myrkul is quite content to not be a god and thus not have to worry about Ao's decrees.

Dungeon 73

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  06:51:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Dungeon 73

Ah, domo... I do have that issue, but it's been so long since I got it that I don't remember if I read that adventure or not. Either way, I shall be reading it in a day or two.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Jul 2004 06:57:48
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  08:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be curious to see what portfolio Myrkul would vie for.

If it is true that they are coming back I am beginning to wonder if the authors at the "helm" of FR storylines are trying to clean up / undo the Avatar series aftermath. I have never been one who liked ressurection of any kind except in special circumstances. I woudl prefer if the dead gods stayed dead and others simply took up their portfolio. Bringing one back was ok, but now it seems that all the gods had planned for the ToT which seems to be a bit "after the fact" to me....and kinda makes the actions of AO a bit moot.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  09:00:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

I'd be curious to see what portfolio Myrkul would vie for.

If it is true that they are coming back I am beginning to wonder if the authors at the "helm" of FR storylines are trying to clean up / undo the Avatar series aftermath. I have never been one who liked ressurection of any kind except in special circumstances. I woudl prefer if the dead gods stayed dead and others simply took up their portfolio. Bringing one back was ok, but now it seems that all the gods had planned for the ToT which seems to be a bit "after the fact" to me....and kinda makes the actions of AO a bit moot.

Myrkul didn't plan for it... But when he was slain on top of Blackstaff Tower, his essence drifted to the closest gathering of his power. This was the Crown of Horns, shattered and stored in a vault in the Tower. Myrkul took a while to re-construct the Crown, and then left to go spread mayhem and have his own weird kinda fun. Again, the text specifically states he's not interested in regaining his former godhood.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  11:27:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bringing one back was ok, but now it seems that all the gods had planned for the ToT which seems to be a bit "after the fact" to me....and kinda makes the actions of AO a bit moot.

For some reason reading your statement and the other posts detailing this possible return, I got this vision of "FR God Life Insurance."

Not sure when the next Time of Troubles might happen? Or when a new D&D edition will come along and have a designer eyeing to destroy you while bringing in a new elven race? Then don't! Call now and activate FR Deity Life Insurance coverage today. For a low monthly rate, our policy will cover you under acts of Ao, Deity on Deity destruction, or a Troy Denning novel. Our operators are standing by...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  11:42:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
I wonder if the Dead 3 (Well really Dead 2 as Banes already back) are about to make a come back...

For my campaign, it will only be Dead 1, and that's Bhaal. When I ran my original Time of Troubles campaigns, Myrkul was never actually destroyed, he was simply reduced in power to that of a demigod. He still lost a portion of his portfolio to Cyric though.

So, I'm more than interested in seeing these details about the Deathstalker of Bhaal PrC. I'd always hoped that WotC would find a way to bring him back eventually. Even if nothing more becomes of the ideas behind this class, it's still enough for a DM to at least expand upon, and bring Bhaal back from the Astral...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  11:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Bringing one back was ok, but now it seems that all the gods had planned for the ToT which seems to be a bit "after the fact" to me....and kinda makes the actions of AO a bit moot.

For some reason reading your statement and the other posts detailing this possible return, I got this vision of "FR God Life Insurance."

Not sure when the next Time of Troubles might happen? Or when a new D&D edition will come along and have a designer eyeing to destroy you while bringing in a new elven race? Then don't! Call now and activate FR Deity Life Insurance coverage today. For a low monthly rate, our policy will cover you under acts of Ao, Deity on Deity destruction, or a Troy Denning novel. Our operators are standing by...

Lol

and if you call within the next 20 mins we'll throw in a Free set of Enchanted +5 Steak knives!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  13:48:42  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, do you happen to know whether this is a 5-level PrC? Or is it the standard 10-levels?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  13:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Dargoth, do you happen to know whether this is a 5-level PrC? Or is it the standard 10-levels?

No idea, Im getting the info 2nd hand from Enworld

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  14:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay then. Do you have the URL for this thread then? I'll ask over at EN World...

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  14:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weve also got Domains for Bhaal

Bhaal, Intermediate Diety, LE.
Portfolio: Death, especially violent or ritual death.
Domains: Death, Destruction, Evil, Hatred (from the FR Campaign Setting), Law

Enworld 322 discussion

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93720&page=1&pp=20

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  01:54:04  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got this Dragon today. It is a five level Prc
Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  02:49:49  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree with Chyron on this one.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  05:19:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by green knight

I just got this Dragon today. It is a five level Prc
Green Knight

Any other details you wish to reveal Green Knight? Or has everything already been detailed here?

Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  13:57:58  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry my wife filched it and took it to work before I could read it so I wont see it again til monday.
Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  14:01:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

sorry my wife filched it and took it to work before I could read it so I wont see it again til monday.
Green Knight

Sounds like grounds for divorce especially if she makes a habit of this.

I just placed my order for this Dragon issue and the current Dungeon magazine with the Marsember adventure. I'm looking forward to receiving both, hopefully, late next week. Thank you to everyone who shared information about these two tomes.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  14:19:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Green Knight

Oh well. My copy is already on it's way, so I guess I'll just learn about it once the issue finally arrives...

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  14:19:52  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As discussed on another thread, I don't like Bane being out there all on his own. Not that he needs a hand to hold, but I just would love to see a modern Unholy Trinity. That would be one RSE which would receive no complaints from me.

Mind you, I also want the return of Leira and Moander...

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  14:23:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

As discussed on another thread, I don't like Bane being out there all on his own. Not that he needs a hand to hold, but I just would love to see a modern Unholy Trinity. That would be one RSE which would receive no complaints from me.

I just got this vision of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul holding hands skipping together along a path. <Shudder>

I am curious to see if all three eventually make it back. Talk about a do over if that occurs.

quote:

One god at a time please...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  14:28:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not too fazed about a return for Moander. In my campaign, he's presently trapped on a demi-plane in the Border Ethereal.

I'm not too sure about Leira either. She never really played a large part in any of my campaigns...

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  17:41:36  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

thatīs funny, one sideplot of my campaign (centered around "night below", located in mistledale) features an "unholy trinity": there are currently three cults who work to bring their respective deity to the realms, or in some cases, back into the realms:

moander:
- see volos guide to the dalelands, the writeup of hunters down
- the "twisted wood"- series from wotc fits in perfectly: www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20021104x
- i plan to throw in the "rot grubs" from ordulin (see www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20020116rt for a short writeup), more of them iirc in the "fr adventures" hardcover
- perhaps a let joel the rebel bard and his band join in the fray, havenīt decided yet.

tharizdun:
- thereīs a sidelocation in "night below" that features a "abandoned" temple of tharizdun
- again, a writeup from wotc: www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040510a was godsend.
- the article "children of tharizdun" from dragon annual 5 for new monsters
- i will partially plunder WG4 ("the forgotten temple of tharizdun")

thuraglas:
- afaik, the only things written about the demon of eternal hunger is in dragon # 312. nevertheless, thatīs great stuff!

iīll use the entropomancer from www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040502a either with thuraglas or with tharizdun, havenīt decided yet. and then thereīs the "cult of the dark mist"-writeup from candlekeep (www.candlekeep.com/campaign/fellaren-krae/fkpage027.htm), also very useful...

i like the idea of having three gods with related portfolios on the verge of intruding/returning to the realms. the relationship between the three cults will partially depend on the actions of my players.

at the moment, none of the "dark triad" as i call them knows from the others. my players only heard rumors that moander is not as dead as everybody believes, and one of our thieves looted during one of his sideplot-burglaries a "nice looking" dagger that is highly magical- and that the cult of thuraglas is now desperately and with aid of magic looking for. he didnīt even let it check for magic and is tooootally unsuspecting...

itīs not set in stone whether there will be a threefold conflict (or better: foursided: after all, the good side will shurely wnat to join the fun!) between them or if any alliances will grow/sprawl/fester between them. perhaps in the end (whenever that might be) a new god will arise, one with three dark facets...
itīs just fun to work with open-ended storylines!

...as for the topic of this thread (sorry for my ot-rant!!!): just a few sessions ago, i introduced the rise of iyachtu xvim, through rumors and a revenant who was out to kill one pc that in turn had killed him at the beginning of our campaign (it was priceless to see the face of the player when he recognized who was strangling him to death! ), an event the party has largely ignored so far. i donīt think xvim is a worthy successor of cyric the mad (whoīs madness was quite effective for making his followers unpredictable and thus, feared) or even bane, so iīm looking forward to the return of bane.

tauster
:o)

Edited by - tauster on 11 Jul 2004 17:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  18:18:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm the only one who's got no problem with leaving dead gods dead...

I'm not entirely keen on Bane coming back and nixing Iyachtu Xvim (I thought he had more style than Bane), but I can accept it.

As for the others, I just don't see a reason to bring them back -- especially Moander. With someone having killed him on his home plane, and taken his power and most of his portfolio, I don't see a way to bring him back, much less a reason to do so.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  18:47:59  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the others, I just don't see a reason to bring them back -- especially Moander. With someone having killed him on his home plane, and taken his power and most of his portfolio, I don't see a way to bring him back, much less a reason to do so.

personally, i like moander as a "classic evil": he the second part of the "death-and-decay"-pair (D&D), a traditional source of villains. in the realms, death is leaning more towards neutrality with kelemvor, and after finder took moanders portfolio of corruption, the second part of "D&D" now too isnīt evil anymore... kind of unsatisfying for me as dm!

reason to bring moander back:
- imo itīs just consistent if the followers of a now dead god try to bring their lord back. thatīs the "in-campaign-reason" behind my planned resurrection.
- and from a metagame view: in a world where itīs possible (even if rare) to bring people back from the dead, it should be small wonder if the same principle applies to the gods, even though it should be rare: for every divine comeback there should be at least two ultimate demises, peferably more. the people of a fantasy realm should be in trembling uncertainty whether or not a god is really dead. nothing should be for sure, apart perhaps from events like ao proclaiming the death in the presence of all the citizens of waterdeep...

way to bring moander back:
- on vgttd, volo told us the story of hunters down: eons ago, moander attacked an elven city. in his anger, he ripped a small part of his essence out of himself and hurled into the city which is utterly destroyed. an alliance of the good forces succeeds in containing the spreading corruption and banishing the "rotting divine bomb"; moander is unable to rejoin with it. eons later he gets killed, but the divine stink bomb is still there...
- the cultist in my campaign plan to free it and using it to bring "his putrefied majesty" back. whether they succeed or not is another thing entirely.

an advantage of storylines like the one i mentioned above is that one can have the possibility of epic realms-shattering events without having to change the face of faerun, as it is under the control of the dm whether or not the cultist-cells will succeed. after all, who sais that the pc are the only ones who fight against them? it is possible that other adventurers work towards the same aim, either ignorant of the pc or chosing not to reveal themselves for reasons of their own... the whole story happens "behind the scenes", so no deviation from canon occurs, nothing (or only small details) contradict with the "official" plots.

Edited by - tauster on 11 Jul 2004 18:56:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  19:38:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One point to keep in mind, though: what Finder didn't grab, Lolth did. I'm doubting she'd be any more willing than Finder to give up her share of Moander's old games.

Even if the divine stink bomb, as you put, was revived, it'd be a very long and difficult struggle for Moander to re-ascend.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  20:45:19  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One point to keep in mind, though: what Finder didn't grab, Lolth did. I'm doubting she'd be any more willing than Finder to give up her share of Moander's old games.

Even if the divine stink bomb, as you put, was revived, it'd be a very long and difficult struggle for Moander to re-ascend.

agreed, to every single point!

from the perspective of moanders cultists:
- itīs not safe to assume that they know who has now what part of their lords portfolio (wasnīt llothīs deal of taking part of moanders portfolio secret? canīt remember...),
- getting back moanders power is of secondary importance; the main thing is to bring him/it back. whatever happens after that lies in his unholy majesties authority to decide.

from the metagame point of view:
- maybe moander canīt take his old portfolio back from lloth, but finder is a young, inexperienced and rather weak godling (yes i know he has some powerful divine allies)...
- but then again, the revived stink bomb will surely be not as powerful as the former moander was- even a duel god against god could very well be open-ended.
- ...and then there are the other two, tharizdun and thuraglas, who could tip the balance of power either way...

as i said, the storyline is not set in stone. the end is entirely open and will be used in harmony with the main story. itīs a device to make the world appearing more lifelike: multiple things happen simultaneous, all of them brining new uncertainties, every one with a chance for other heroes to shine. and along the way it illustrates why guys like elminster or the simbul donīt do the job the pcīs are struggling to do: thereīs just happening too much, they can not be everywhere.

there are enough possibilities for not having moander (or anyone of the other two gods) returned. the end of the story is almost secondary, perhaps i will even hold it up long enough for the main adventure to conclude.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  09:53:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster
tharizdun:
- thereīs a sidelocation in "night below" that features a "abandoned" temple of tharizdun
- again, a writeup from wotc: www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040510a was godsend.
- the article "children of tharizdun" from dragon annual 5 for new monsters
- i will partially plunder WG4 ("the forgotten temple of tharizdun")

thuraglas:
- afaik, the only things written about the demon of eternal hunger is in dragon # 312. nevertheless, thatīs great stuff!

iīll use the entropomancer from www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040502a either with thuraglas or with tharizdun, havenīt decided yet. and then thereīs the "cult of the dark mist"-writeup from candlekeep (www.candlekeep.com/campaign/fellaren-krae/fkpage027.htm), also very useful...

Aside from the fact that He of the Eternal Darkness is actually a Greyhawk deity, I'd like to point out that I think you actually mean Turaglas, the Ebon Maw and former Demon Lord of the Abyss.

Anyway, I'll have to check the Demonology, but I think that I may have some "extra" details about the Hunger Eternal.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000