Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 the chairs of larlock
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

barry
Acolyte

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  19:12:08  Show Profile  Visit barry's Homepage Send barry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to know the about the chairs that larlock created.
It has been written that no magic can be cast from these chairs or cast at the occupants sitting in them thus making them invulnerable to attack. how is this possible and how did the zulkirs of Thay get their hands on them?

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  03:53:52  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am correct Szass Tam recieved one from Larloch as a gift.He also got The Death Moon Orb from him as well.He used that to try to bind Eltab.I maybe totally wrtong on this.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  05:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
um what what what?
chairs made by larloch? is this true?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  10:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that chair called Tharkosil's Seat? that he supposedly gave to Szass Tam along with the Death Moon Orb.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  14:58:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel "The Simbul's Gift" by Lynn Abbey talks about a series of magical seats, one for each zulkir, that they use when in conclave to protect themselves and each other. I think the novel states that these chairs are also from Larloch. Thakorsil's Seat is an artifact wriiten up in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" (p.116-117). This one definitely came from Larloch.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:45:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Thakorsil's Seat is an artifact wriiten up in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" (p.116-117).

And this book is, of course, available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  16:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh so the chairs barry was talking about were the chairs in"the simbul's gift" not Thakorsil's Seat.
hmm i shoudl go an read that then. Any page reference for the chairs, George?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  17:00:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The novel "The Simbul's Gift" by Lynn Abbey talks about a series of magical seats, one for each zulkir, that they use when in conclave to protect themselves and each other. I think the novel states that these chairs are also from Larloch. Thakorsil's Seat is an artifact wriiten up in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" (p.116-117). This one definitely came from Larloch.

-- George Krashos

As well as the Spellbound box set, where it and the Death Moon Orb are used in a module.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Apr 2006 18:09:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  17:23:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The second module as I recall... Runes of Chaos.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  02:25:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

oh so the chairs barry was talking about were the chairs in"the simbul's gift" not Thakorsil's Seat.
hmm i shoudl go an read that then. Any page reference for the chairs, George?

Chapter 16, p.167 or so onwards for the chairs in "The Simbul's Gift", one of the most unique FR novels ever written. Layers of nuance and a solid bedding in realmslore with its own stuff addied in. I liked this novel.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  18:10:02  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who would sit in a chair given to them by Larloch?

That's insane. I'd be checking for electric cords and spikes and Whoopie Cushions of DOOM.

"Um, yeah, it makes you invulnerable and stuff!"
"Riiight... and if I shake your magic bone I'll go to Never Never Land. What kind of drugs do you think I'm on?!?"
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  18:57:08  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont think you could refuse to sit on a chair that larloch gives you! yipes!

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  04:01:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 16, p.167 or so onwards for the chairs in "The Simbul's Gift", one of the most unique FR novels ever written. Layers of nuance and a solid bedding in realmslore with its own stuff addied in. I liked this novel.

-- George Krashos

-- George Krashos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I liked the novel too, except that it created a Thayan wizard who could make all the Zulkirs have to sit up and listen like he was the emperor or something. That one part I just consider a dream. I did find it a bit odd too that Lauzoril, Zulkir of Enchantment, had such a fascination with death magic. I always pictured him as more of a politician who (as leader of the expansionist party) was into subterfuge to try and rule through control of a country's courtiers and intermediaries. Other than that though, very good.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  07:15:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume you mean the Chairmaster, Phillip. Actually, I didn't think that this was odd because Thay has always seemed to me a place of checks and balances. Yes, individually, the Chairmaster may be more powerful than a zulkir (which in itself isn't surprising either - FR6 I think it was that noted that the position of zulkir didn't necessarily go to the most powerful wizard of a particular school of magic), but if he pisses them off, then they will strike against him with common purpose - and win. Thay is a place that I would love to have re-done with more layers of tension and more behind the scenes activity. I've had some thoughts recently re just what may lie behind the magocratic framework of Thay and who really controls the realm and pulls the strings. But that's another discussion.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Mordakay of Thay
Acolyte

Romania
33 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  21:44:22  Show Profile Send Mordakay of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was your impresion on the novel Red Magic then ppl?

William Yeats
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  22:31:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mordakay of Thay

I liked it and it was one of my favorite Harper novels and it's one of the few I reread all the time.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  22:56:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I liked it back in the day, but I've not read it for many years, nor have I had any urge to.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  02:31:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I liked it back in the day, but I've not read it for many years, nor have I had any urge to.

I thoroughly enjoyed Red Magic mostly because it provided another another example of the inner workings of the Red Wizards, a personal favorite power group for me.

But this is a discussion for the FR Novels shelf. If you're curious about the opinions of this particular HARPER novel Mordakay why not search for a scroll to this topic in the Novels section, or failing that... open a new one.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Apr 2006 02:31:43
Go to Top of Page

Mordakay of Thay
Acolyte

Romania
33 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  18:07:57  Show Profile Send Mordakay of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,I only brought it up because as you said it provided info on the inner workings of the Red Wizards,as we were already talking about that subject.Sorry for not being precise,should of included that in my first post :).

William Yeats
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  23:02:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>I assume you mean the Chairmaster, Phillip. Actually, I didn't think that this was odd >>because Thay has always seemed to me a place of checks and balances. Yes, individually, the >>Chairmaster may be more powerful than a zulkir (which in itself isn't surprising either - >>FR6 I think it was that noted that the position of zulkir didn't necessarily go to the most >>powerful wizard of a particular school of magic), but if he pisses them off, then they will >>strike against him with common purpose - and win. Thay is a place that I would love to have >>re-done with more layers of tension and more behind the scenes activity. I've had some >>thoughts recently re just what may lie behind the magocratic framework of Thay and who >>really controls the realm and pulls the strings. But that's another discussion.
>>-- George Krashos

Man, I would LOVE to have that conversation (because its been in my thoughts, so forcing me to put it to paper helps). I didn't like the idea of the chairmaster, because the Zulkirs themselves serve as a check and balance amongst each other. The fact that they have to work through the various Tharchions (who might be allied with another Zulkir) adds a layer of governmental involvement that can prove interesting. However, do I think the idea of how the Thayan government actually turns could be improved? Yes.
For instance, in 2E there wasn't the concept of the prestige class.. something that has opened up significant windows in 3E. Therefore, if I were a wizard building myself up in Thay would I necessarily go into the red wizard prestige class? For political reasons, I might, but I can see some wizards with little political inclinations. Some might go eldritch knight/spellsword/ and even Raumathari Battlemage.
Some might pursue the path of a mystic theurge and delve into both divine and arcane magics. In fact, I see a surge of these theurges in a fairly interesting use with Thayan enclaves. I see the use of the archivist from Heroes of Horror as a very interesting combination with standard wizardry (since both rely so heavily on intelligence). However, the added benefits to Thayans is that the archivists can learn ALL divine spells and transcribe such to scrolls for sale. Thus, while Thayans don't normally produce paladins and fairly few druids, their archivists could produce scrolls for sale. Since many paladins, rangers, druids, and even clerics rarely take scribe scroll... but many would not hesitate to buy such... this opens up a lucrative market for Thayan enclaves through the use of archivists. Also, since it is lucrative for them, enclaves would be very happy to provide scrolls to an archivist to inscribe into their prayerbooks.
I can also see their being some red wizards who work as spies, combining the skills of an arcane trickster. Perhaps some ambassadors are individuals of this sort. This of course, may also lead into mage-assassins for hire within the government (without necessarily having a rogue's path).
Sorcerors and bards are generally looked down upon, but these are classes that would be perfect for highly charismatic individuals. However, the dread necromancer from Heroes of Horror would fit in VERY well in Thayan culture.
Therefore, with all of this kind of stuff I see there being "guilds" of wizards who aren't actually part of the government (because they aren't members of the ruling class red wizards), but who may have significant influence into the government. Also, because of their influence, perhaps they even have some privileges reserved for the red wizards (perhaps the wearing of red robes, which is something outsiders don't actually realize as a difference... chalking up on red robe wearer as the same as another).
I wouldn't say I want to introduce every arcane spellcasting class into Thay, but these few things.... at least I THINK... fit in very well and help to bring out how Thay is different. My latest campaign will be visiting Thay at some point (they all do at some point), and I hope to by then have some of this fleshed out. Is there any other "guilds" or "power groups" that you can see having significant controls upon the government? I can think that there may be some religious sectors that work together (to a degree) to form a consolidated voice on some issues that would be mutually beneficial (though carefully not to have their voice intrude upon the freedoms of the wizards to do their own thing).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000