Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Fate of King Graul
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  22:37:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just looking back through FR5 to brush up on my Arcane Brotherhood lore, since one of the player's in my campaign is going to be playing a wizard trained as an agent of the Hosttower, and I ran across the reference to King Graul of the Ice Mountain Orcs.

Given that this was once one of my favorite 1st edition supplements, I was surprised that I didn't remember King Graul. I remembered reading about Obould and the Citadel of Many Arrows, and I remember in 2nd Edition about Obould loosing the citadel to King Emerus Warcrown, and the Citadel being refounded as Citadel Felbar, but I don't remember what happened to King Graul.

Part of why I am intrigued by this is that Obould was said in FR5 to pay fealty to King Graul, though them mentioned that Obould was intimidating and of huge build.

What did happen to old King Graul anyway?

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  22:59:51  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has no support in any sourcebook or novel, I made it up completely on my own after reading KnightErrant's question.

Obould wacked him and made the Ice Mountain Orcs into his subjects.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:09:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well . . . it does seem a likely turn of events . . . lol.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:23:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . according to Volo's Guide to the North (and mind you this is Volo gossip), Obould had evil human wizards and illithids as allies, and would throw huge revels on orc holy days to keep his people happy.

In The North boxed set, it mentions King Greneire's horde of orcs attacking and Obould killing Greneire, but too late to be able to resist that attack of Emerus Warcrown's dwarves.

Maybe Obould killed Graul, and that destabilized the orc population enough to make Greneire move on Obould before he could claim Graul's orcs. Then again, the same passage in the North mentions that Obould thought that Greneire attacking him was foolish because they should be banding together to attack Silverymoon and the other northern cities.

Still, no appearance of Graul.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:40:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that the current orc guy named Obould is just one of a long line of Oboulds...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:45:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought he was only the second Obould . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  01:57:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No... there's a long line of orc rulers with the name Obould. See Tom's write-up here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/manyarrows

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  02:42:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage . . . that ties up some loose ends. I wonder if the family line kept up their connection to illithids, or if whatever contact they had with them was left behind years ago, or perhaps at least left behind when he fled the Citadel.

Its nice to see the reference to the Ice Mountain Orcs, but still no specific reference to Graul. I wonder if those orcs flocked to Obould's banner as well, or if they still remain independant under whatever monarch they currently have.

Thanks again sage . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  03:05:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I wonder if the family line kept up their connection to illithids, or if whatever contact they had with them was left behind years ago, or perhaps at least left behind when he fled the Citadel.
If the flayers have anything to gain from a continued relationship with the orcs (regardless of whoever becomes chieftain), you can be sure they'll try and maintain any type of contact between themselves and the family line.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000