Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 RPing a Cleric of Tymora
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vikramaditya
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  21:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Vikramaditya's Homepage Send Vikramaditya a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings to Everyone..What better way to make a new beginning than talk of the lady of luck! I would like to create a Rogue/Cleric of Tymora, and was not quite sure how I should roleplay a Cleric of Luck? Most gods in the FR pantheon appears to have a specific agenda which their clergy can advance, but Tymora does not appear to be one of them. Aside from selling dubious "lucky" trinkets and supplies to various adventuring parties, her clerics don't appear to do anything specific. I know that some of them are Harpers, but still, they must be doing *something* to be granted spells!. Could some of the learned scribes here offer any insight on the motivations of Tymora's clergy? Many thanks..

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  21:48:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vikramaditya

Greetings to Everyone..What better way to make a new beginning than talk of the lady of luck! I would like to create a Rogue/Cleric of Tymora, and was not quite sure how I should roleplay a Cleric of Luck? Most gods in the FR pantheon appears to have a specific agenda which their clergy can advance, but Tymora does not appear to be one of them. Aside from selling dubious "lucky" trinkets and supplies to various adventuring parties, her clerics don't appear to do anything specific. I know that some of them are Harpers, but still, they must be doing *something* to be granted spells!. Could some of the learned scribes here offer any insight on the motivations of Tymora's clergy? Many thanks..

From Faiths & Avatars, page 167

quote:

Tymora’s faith teaches that one should be bold, for to dare is to live. The battle cry of the followers of Tymora is "Fortune favors the bold." A brave heart and willingness to take risks beat out a carefully wrought plan nine times out of ten. One must place oneself in the hands of fate and trust to one’s own luck.

and

quote:

The clery of the Lady go throughout Faerun urging folk to take chances and pursue their dreams...

Another thing to recall is each Tymora temple is its own independent operation. I think that gives a DM and/or players a great deal of avenues to explore the faith as they see fit while following the above dogma.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  22:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from their typical gambling and sponsoring adventurers, Tymora's clerics should work to encourage others to take risks, to fight against what seem to be insurmountable odds or predetermined circumstances, and to forge their own destinies. Forlorn lovers escaping arranged marriages, young nobles who can only hope to inherit a tiny fraction of prestige and wealth, and hopeless rebels can all expect to receive encouragement and assistance from Tymoran priests.

Being a chaotic goddess of, at best, unpredictable circumstances, it's difficult to ask for more of a definition of the cleric's role. After all, Fortune favors the bold, and boldness oft involves treading one's own path.
Go to Top of Page

Vikramaditya
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  15:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Vikramaditya's Homepage Send Vikramaditya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks to both scribes for your replies. I did read both Faiths and Pantheons and Faiths and Avatars? (The 2nd Ed sourcebook) for this charecter, but it just got me more confused.

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Being a chaotic goddess of, at best, unpredictable circumstances, it's difficult to ask for more of a definition of the cleric's role. After all, Fortune favors the bold, and boldness oft involves treading one's own path.

This just about sums it best. I guess I really shouldn't expect much more definition and structure from a chaotic goddess of luck! However, tt does make me wonder if just about anyone with an above average wisdom, and the patience to burn some incense and say some prayers can become a Tymoran cleric, especially if the church is so unstructured. You'd expect half the adventurers in the realms to be Tymoran Clergy in this case..
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  16:15:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vikramaditya
This just about sums it best. I guess I really shouldn't expect much more definition and structure from a chaotic goddess of luck!

Where area of the Realms will you be adventuring with this Cleric of Tymora?
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  18:32:46  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there´s a novel out there that might be helpful: "tymora´s luck" by kate novak & jeff grubb.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786907266/qid=1088011759/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7578283-8874236?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Go to Top of Page

Vikramaditya
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  19:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Vikramaditya's Homepage Send Vikramaditya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Where area of the Realms will you be adventuring with this Cleric of Tymora?
[/quote]

The Sword Coast. He has just come back from some adventures on an island off of Saradush and is heading to Tethyr..
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  17:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know...I think there's an instinct in PCs to play characters of Tymora as flighty, comic relief.

However, a cleric who was deathly serious about luck would be an interesting turn. Someone who might get violent if another PC was constantly creating bad luck, or who might become extremely paranoid if they came to a crossroads...

He/she might be constantly researching and experimenting with luck, seeking to prove which superstitions please or offend his goddess. Perhaps he goes from town to town showing people how to increase their luck, spreading the faith of taking chances....

Hehe...think I might have to roll this character up.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  18:34:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

there´s a novel out there that might be helpful: "tymora´s luck" by kate novak & jeff grubb.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786907266/qid=1088011759/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7578283-8874236?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Though that is a good novel, and one I'd recommend for reading, I don't think it the best source for playing a Tymoran cleric. Tymora and Beshaba both show up as characters, but the main characters are a couple priests of Finder, a paladin of Lathander (who also shows up), a kender (yes, a kender in the Realms), and a chic with wings (Jasmine from the Spelljammer comic, if you remember that one). The novel ranges across several planes, and the only real mentions of luck are the consequences of too much good luck, or too much bad luck.

Oh, and if you're going to read that, you really need to read Finder's Bane, first. It's another good one by the same authors (and the duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb has produced some excellent novels), and it intros a lot of the characters. Plus, it also ranges across the planes, including Sigil.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eccerion
Acolyte

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  19:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Eccerion's Homepage Send Eccerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I`m playing a Cleric of Tymora in our current champaign.

-You'd expect half the adventurers in the realms to be Tymoran Clergy in this case..-

lol maybe, but its one thing to pray "tymora grant me luck" and throwing the dice in the bar, and quite another to dedicate your life to the godess.
Being a cleric isnt just about getting spells and following church dogma, its about furthuring your deitys plans, status and teachings across the world, to convert the faithless or "wrongly worshipping" to your patron.

Tymoras clerys main motto is "Fortune favors the bold" but there is another that is also worth considering: "Sometimes the lady smiles, sometimes she laughs out loud", meaning in gamespeak that that "1" on the D20 showes up when you least expect it.
There is also a differance between being brave and being foolish, attacking the goblins to take them unawares is brave, rushing the red dragon on your own is stupid.

The cleric I play considers adventuring in itself to be an act of devotion to Tymora, one that grants perks like an eventfull life and riches from vancuished foes, most of the booty will go to furthering Lady luck by building new shrines and temples and to convert others to the worship of Tymora.
Hehe I even managed to convert the party dwarf barbarian to Lady luck, which he hasnt regretted once.

Tymora is more than just the godess of sheer dumb luck, she is also the godess of skill and victory, which should intice her worshipers to employ their skills effectivly and to succeed in everything they do. Dare to build the bridge over the river even if it is risky, as the rewards will be worth it.
Tempus may be the god you pray to for survial in battle, but Tymora is the lady you pray to for victory in the war

There are clerics of Tymora who are trying to organize her fairly diversified church, most noteably Daramos Lauthyr of the Lady`s House of Arabel, who seeks to organize the faithfull under a single "pope", himself. Not an easy task when your dealing with a chaotic church
It is possible for chaotic churches to still have a degree of organization, just look at Lolths people, cant get much more chaotic then those guys, yet they have a very strict structure of prayrs, rituals and tests which would be more akeen to a lawfull order.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  00:02:52  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent post, Eccerion! I'll be using your ideas and some catch phrases at tonight's game. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000