Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Saints of the Realm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faerliane
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  14:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Faerliane's Homepage Send Faerliane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

According to the F&A (page 76-77) Ilmater's church has the most saints and mentions:
Saint Dionysius
Saint Sollars the Twice Martyred
Saint Jasper of the Rocks
Saint Morgan the Taciturn

Are they described in any supplements? Are there any other canon Saints? In which churches are they acknowledged in?

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  15:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get some details from the 2nd edition supplement FR9 The Bloodstone Lands, by R.A. Salvatore. It's out of print, but can be obtained as a download from SV Games (www.svgames.com). There isn't a great deal of detail about the individual saints, but you can get a feel for the nature of each sect. It includes St. Sollars and St. Dionysus, but not any of the others you mentioned.

Also, I believe Steven Schend did a lot of detail about the worship of Ilmater in Calimshan, including some writeups of Ilmatari monasteries in the area. He visits these boards often and can probably give more information than I ever could.

Eric Boyd also frequents these boards, and he along with Steven (and Eric Mona) did the writeups in Faiths and Pantheons.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  16:16:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be dipped if I can remember who I snagged this from, but I know I got it from somewhere in these threads.

quote:

George Krashos has spoken about Monk orders in the Realms before, most notably about the Orders of Ilmater. As I recall, Mr. Schend originally listed the Saints from the realm, with their associate Monastic Orders.

If neither George, nor Mr. Schend mind, I'll repost part of that discussion here, for easy of reference -

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abbeys & Cloisters of Ilmater
The ten cloisters of Ilmater were established over the past 400 years, and three of them remarkably came into being during the Alemandrian Interregnum. They are placed throughout the country such that a pilgrim/devotee can, with some effort, travel from one to another within two days' ride. They are all manors of sorts, with protective walls around at least a chapel, chapter house, stables, and gardens. Some are more opulent with libraries, monks' quarters separate from the chapter house, or even garrisons for an affiliated knightly order. Each has a specific goal for its faithful, in accord with the saint after which the house is named. While commoners see no distinction among them other than their services and ages, some are more prestigious within church hierarchies of Tethyr simply by their famous founders or associated saints. There are more notes and details about these
monasteries, including the various duties of each house, within the various county sections below. The cloisters of Ilmater are noted under their full names, though everyone refers to them simply by their saint's names (i.e. "St. Alaric's, St. Cabram's, etc.). They are listed by age (first number), and each has a second number, which ranks its prestige among the clergy:

1/2) Convent of St. Rhynda: Symbol=Night violet (deep bluish-purple
flower). Dedicated in the Year of Bright Nights (985 DR).
2/7) Missionary of St. Cabram: Symbol=Sunset daisy (deep orange).
Dedicated in the Year of the Stone Rose (1017 DR).
3/4) Monastery of St. Natan: Symbol=Calim lily (local pale blue floating
lily). Dedicated in the Year of the Keening Gale (1050 DR).
4/5) Seminary of St. Ostus: Symbol=Morning glory. Dedicated in the Year
of Shambles (1088 DR).
5/1) Convent of St. Teresa: Symbol=Bloodlily (scarlet lily). Dedicated in
the Year of Azure Blood (1126 DR).
6/3) Abbey of St. Alaric: Symbol=Briar rose. Dedicated in the Year of the
Howling Moon (1130 DR).
7/8) Hospice of St. Corin: Symbol=Thistle. Dedicated in the Year of the
Yellow Rose (1242 DR).
8/10) St. Ramedar's Cloister: Symbol=Rock violet (pale, miniature ground
flower). Dedicated in the Year of the Dragon (1352 DR).
9/9) Monastery of St. Domin: Symbol=Mountain daisy (tiny, ochre-yellow
ground-crawling flowers). Dedicated in the Year of Maidens (1361 DR).
10/6) Priory of St. Silvyr: Symbol=Tuarlye (blue flower with green
highlights indigenous only to the Forest of Tethir). Dedicated in the Year
of the Staff (1366 DR).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jun 2004 16:19:49
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  17:55:47  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can find some other Saints here on Candlekeep: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/saints.htm. They arn't canon, but they are nice.

Again, not canon, but I have an NPC, St. Orsaleyi, a saint of Eldath, and currently adventuring in Faerūn in his second life.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  16:59:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Faerliane,

Here is a home built list at the 'Keep!

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/saints.htm

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Faerliane

Hello,

According to the F&A (page 76-77) Ilmater's church has the most saints and mentions:
Saint Dionysius
Saint Sollars the Twice Martyred
Saint Jasper of the Rocks
Saint Morgan the Taciturn

Are they described in any supplements? Are there any other canon Saints? In which churches are they acknowledged in?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  01:36:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also did an article on Ilmatari saints in Impiltur that can can be found here at the 'Keep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  01:48:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Thank you for mentioning that. I am definitely going to check that out!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I also did an article on Ilmatari saints in Impiltur that can can be found here at the 'Keep.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000