Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Best Trick you've played against your Players
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  05:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was running a campaign for some freinds they had battled long and hard through many battles they always depended on the parties 1/2 orc fighter, when the reached the end of the adventure and entered the Wizard's casting chamber to fight the evil Mage and the demon he summoned, the fight was progressing in the favor of the players the 1/2 orc doing terrible damage against the demon, so the players were able to bring him down faster than I would have liked. When they moved to attack the mage I looked at the 1/2 orc character and nodded at him, he then turned at attacked his own party members. After the inital shock of him attacking their players the changed tatics and though they were terribly wounded and close to death managed to kill the mage and 1/2 orc character. They searched the room found a hidden door that open into a small cell room with the 1/2 orc dead on the floor. As they looked about confused they turned back to the fallen 1/2 orc to see it revert to is Doppleganger form. The player who was the 1/2 orc played his part as the trader doppleganger perfect. After raising the real 1/2 orc they were able to find out that he was abuducted the night before the attack on the tower and killed so the Doppleganger could assume his identity.

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  07:22:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, a well-played and evil trick! I am impressed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  09:03:27  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey this was a real evil-madness trick. ... Nice

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  09:06:45  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember a fight against five fire giants. The were in a great room, rounded of walls and doors. The first time my party tried to kill them, many of them were really bad-injured, so we get out. The second time i told them i had a plan. I encouraged our ranger to hide in shadows and attack one of the giants, they got angry, and chased the ranger who dissapeared through one of the doors, and killed the five giants all alone... they couldn't pass through the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  02:48:38  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm I did this to my players once. Happened in my homebrew world.

Kren the Marauder was conquering the known world, having taken the old empire he moved his massive armies north and laid siege to the 8 City States of Alduur. The City States, who had been on very bad terms with the old Empire and eachother for a very long time, was quickly overrun by the powers of Kren and his armies. A small resistance group formed in the old Empire, the leaders ended up being the PCs and some others. They quickly grew stronger and stronger and soon they had a small specialized army themselves. They moved against the southern most city of the 8 City States to liberate it and gain support. They defeated Krens garrison stationed there and thus entered the city triumphantly. When they entered they were met with boos, people throwing garbage at them, and shouting nasty words at them such as rapists and childmurderers. They thought that was rather odd, so the PCs started investigating. As it turned, one of the smaller outlying villages had met with some of Kren's soldiers who stationed a small garrison there. Kren's soldiers then worked on becoming well-liked by the population, and had succeeded, only to later have tell the villagers that they had to leave because they were needed up north. They left a few soldiers behind though. Then just about a week later a small army wearing rebellion insignia arrived in the village. They slaughtered all the men and the remaining soldiers, and raped the women, leaving only the women and children alive.

So Kren built up trust with the villagers, had his own soldiers, and the men in the village killed by his own troops wearing fake rebellion insignia, just to make the rebellion look bad and loose a lot of their support.

One of my players felt so powerless that he wanted to retire his character right then and there. He really felt how it was like to be the good hero who always had to do the right thing, fighting aCE madman who didn't care about what he did.

Sorry for any errors, it's written really late at night.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."

Edited by - Cherrn on 31 May 2004 03:46:22
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:43:04  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That very good trick! Make them shocked, bet us. That the think about rebellions, always two sides. Sounds like now dead guards was good guys though working for evil boss.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  09:17:05  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite trick I've played was as a player against another player. I made up a fake name and began occasionally sending death threats to his character by this phony person through several intermediaries. I'd email the dm before the game session about what I was doing and how I was going about it. At some point during the sessions the DM would present the packages or letters to the pc in question. The rest of the players in the group were completely certain that it was a dm storyline and the character began taking all kinds of insane precautions to keep himself safe.

I had no intention of acting on it, my character had a sick sense of humor and just thought it was funny.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 31 May 2004 09:18:05
Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  00:37:17  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This wasnt actually played by me but by a fellow dm
a group of players had entered a room with a zone of darkness on it
all around it were corpses and signs of a recent battle including an impaled bugbear while sounds of battle ensued from the darkness.

as some of the players cautiously moved inside the darkness the impaled assasain bugbear which had been studyng one of the pc who remained outside launched the spear at the unfortunate pc.

who was killed the rest of the pc when they went out of the darkness found out his friend impaled by the spear and no bugbear at least for the time being....
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  02:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I was running through the module Tears Twilight Hollow(from Dungeon #90) and at one point they were exploring some ancient Talosian ruins, and found in a chamber a mechanical construct beholder, which could be ridden in and fire 8 wands from it's "eyestalks". Not wanting my players to have access to such an impressive device at their current level, I described it and my players percieved it to be a currently innactive construct. I even fed their misconception by friendly suggesting dropping a true strike on the Barbarian and him max power attacking it.

THey charged in, fiercely battering the device, then the next round comes around and it has still ot moved. They hammer at it again. And again. Still nothing. They stop, and begin to examine it ore closely, and realize their mistake.

They still took it, but had to find a Favorite NPC of mine to repair it.

Another time my players had inflitrated the crypt of a lich in the Battle of Bones(FRCS pg. 222), dispatched the creature and searched for his phylactery. After finding the cunningly hid object that radiated evil and necromancy, they destroyed it, and with a wailing of the damned and a gust of fetid wind, they ended forever the creatures existence.

Looting the tomb they found the haphazard belongings of the lich including some equipment of former, and less succesful, adventurers. The wizard in the group spotting a fine rapier that identified to have some great qualities claimed it as his share.

THe creature slain, they continued on their journey to cormyr.

Unbeknownst to them however, the object they thought was a phylactery was indeed a magic item designed to appear to be one. It of course had some nice wards on it to actiuvate when it was destroyed. 5 days later at camp, on the hour of midnight, the lich reformed next to it's phylactery: which was currently resting in the scabbard of the wizard!

After a pitched battle, and several almost dying they managed to lay the beast low again, and sadly destroyed the sword. From this day forth, all magical items retrieved from the lair of a lich face a quarentine of one tenday before being claimed or sold.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000