Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Two NWN persistant worlds set in FR! Worth a try!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gildin
Acolyte

Finland
2 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  11:42:54  Show Profile  Visit Gildin's Homepage Send Gildin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ever got frustrated about NWN multiplaying because lack of "roleplaying" in the servers? Other characters just run around whacking things and talking "out of character" and not play their role!

Well I've searched NWn persitant world servers nearly 2 years now. I had two requirements: must be situated in Forgotten Realms (since I'm dedicated FR player) and interaction must be "in character" all the time.

Now I've found 2 which fullfill my needs and I enjoy playing in them. they're called: City of Arabel http://www.nwncityofarabel.com/
and Shadows of the Sword Coast (a server where areas are combined from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2) http://www.vampdesign.net/

If you play NWN and have same needs from NWN persistant world, these are definetly worth a look!

Edited by - Gildin on 25 May 2004 14:56:46

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  14:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play a bit on CoA too. Its more City based than explorer based though.

Wil check out the other you mention though.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  16:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone given a go on A Land Far Away (ALFA) a FR Persistant world for NWN? I've been seeing a lot about it, but can't get in, since I don't have SoU or HotA, which are required for participation. I've been considering buying the expansions just so I can try ALFA.

Do the other persistant worlds require the expansions as well, or is the NWN program enough to get you on?

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred

Edited by - Brother Ezra on 25 Jun 2004 16:38:07
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  08:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard that ALFA is oversubscribed and hard to access anyway.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  10:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone gushed all over Shadows of the Sword Coast, recommending it over and over to me. All about how many areas it has, how "hardcore" it is, how many players it has got, how much acclaim it has accumulated, how wonderful it is, how many people had wanted to join the development team, and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately, the "someone" in question was a member of the team responsible for that persistent world. I can't have respect for someone who needs to pimp a project from his own group in that manner (and therefore, I'd be doubtful about its quality, period. Yo, dude, if it's as good as you say, you won't need to advertise it to me), so I'm not even going to touch the thing with a ten-foot pole. Heh.

Edited by - Winterfox on 27 Jun 2004 10:58:22
Go to Top of Page

Baalster
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2004 :  07:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Baalster's Homepage Send Baalster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

I have heard that ALFA is oversubscribed and hard to access anyway.

Not the case. We've streamlined the application process, and have made an Open Access Server (that doesn't require any hakpacks). It does require both SoU and HotU (because of the tilesets).

Hail over to http://www.alandfaraway.org and/or http://forums.alandfaraway.org and see for yourself.

quote:

A Land Far Away is an online role-playing community. Our goal is to build the Forgotten Realms campaign setting using Bioware's Neverwinter Nights computer game as the tool. We have a set of servers, each covering a certain part of Faerûn, the world in which Forgotten Realms takes place.

The main emphasis of ALFA is on roleplaying. When playing in ALFA, we try to assume the part of our characters, acting in the world as they would. DM-led plots, similar to the old pen and paper-campaigns bring the world alive, while bards sing about the deeds of the heroes, the players themselves.

Our players come from various backgrounds. While a large group of players have a lot of pen and paper roleplaying experience, we also have a significant number of players whose only experience in roleplaying has been in other CRPGs or MMORPGs. We welcome both the seasoned D&D veterans and completely new players willing to learn about Forgotten Realms and roleplaying.

Currently live servers are: Waterdeep, The Long Road, The Silver Marches, Northern Cormyr, Arabel, Shadowdale, Skullport & Undermountain, Daggerdale, Icewind Dale, Loudwater, Baldur's Gate, Selgaunt and The Pirate Isles. Servers in final beta stage (coming soon) are: Northern Underdark (Including Menzo), Vale of the Lost Voices, Scardale, Earthspur Mountains and Westgate. And even nore servers are being built... Since we try to build according to canon, this place is imperative to us, filling out the gaps in the official Realmslore. Our thanks ...

Playing on the live ALFA servers requires download of a set of hakpacks. More on that on the webpage.

Feel free to ask any questions either here or on the ALFA forum.

Baalster
Head DM Whitehorn (in early beta stage)

The North is indeed as they say in the Vilhon Reach - a land of "hard, brutal men in leather and furs who swing overhasty swords."
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  05:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thnaks to you Baalster.
Just went by the ALFA site and submitted an application.
Good to see that they are taking memebers again.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Shardane_Marr
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  11:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Shardane_Marr's Homepage Send Shardane_Marr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may also want to check out The Realms it is a old server that is being revamped, with some unique scripts and some of the new stuff is very nice looking. CEP is required to play...
www.geocities.com/nwn_the_realms/index.html
The IP is: (12.217.182.204:5121)

-Shardane Marr-
Go to Top of Page

J.Anderson
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  12:35:31  Show Profile  Visit J.Anderson's Homepage Send J.Anderson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I'm one of the three developers of Shadows of the Sword Coast. A link to this board was posted on our forums. Considering our team consists of three people, I found this comment somewhat odd:

"Unfortunately, the "someone" in question was a member of the team responsible for that persistent world."

Since I didn't do it, Don never talks to anyone, and Muirwen certainly never does anything like that (he's too busy with his job to bother with something like that) I can assure you that whoever you spoke to wasn't a part of our dev team. How you would come to such a conclusion is beyond me, it's quite possible you just wanted to make a post for some odd reason.

Here are some screenshots of SotSC

http://vampclan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2041

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  13:09:42  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J.Anderson

Since I didn't do it, Don never talks to anyone, and Muirwen certainly never does anything like that (he's too busy with his job to bother with something like that) I can assure you that whoever you spoke to wasn't a part of our dev team. How you would come to such a conclusion is beyond me, it's quite possible you just wanted to make a post for some odd reason.

The person in question, at the very least, claimed to be part of your developer team (why, are you frequently afflicted with imposters?); I was rather irritated with his... bragging, and the incredibly cocky advertising. Trust me, friend, I'm not just making a post to troll. If I wanted to do that, I'd have gone to your forum, yes? Where you and yours would certainly see my post? *sighs*

Edit to add: Oh, I checked your site, and found the person in question. Shall I name names?

Edited by - Winterfox on 27 Jul 2004 13:15:33
Go to Top of Page

J.Anderson
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  21:51:17  Show Profile  Visit J.Anderson's Homepage Send J.Anderson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure. I would like to know.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  06:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm. There's no PM feature, and I don't want to deviate from the topic any more than I have. Leave an e-mail?
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  06:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tethtoril carries in a bucket of water.

Things are getting a little warm in here. Thank-you Winterfox for taking it to e-mail without further cluttering the scroll. I hope other scribes will continue in peace now and if you must, I brought some water. Douse yourself if you must but carry on with what the topic should be about.

Tethtoril
Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

J.Anderson
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  07:26:18  Show Profile  Visit J.Anderson's Homepage Send J.Anderson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a PM feature on our boards actually, but my email is thepneumatics78@msn.com
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  18:35:22  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can recommend Battdale and Tales of the Silver Marches for worlds you could role-play in. They are very good and the dms always add that extra spice to things and the players are real dedicated. The listings for them can be found in the Roleplay section. As for City of Arabel, it is alright nothing jaw dropping but it can keep one busy for a few hours. As for a land far away if you can make it pass the application process and get chosen it can be sort of fun, just make sure you go in with a lot of friends to team up with becuase once you are dead...you are dead. No second chances if you misclick on a trap.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hamlet
Acolyte

Bulgaria
30 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2004 :  16:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Hamlet's Homepage Send Hamlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.avlis.org

Though not a Faerun creation, this briliant outcome of the Blackdagger Project is the largest thing * manageable * I have ever seen. I truly wonder on how it is successfully coordinated.

Alas - and I guess I may get rottng tomatoes thrown at me for saying such a thing in public - I cannot set roots there for the reason that hardly anyone I know in my country has an original copy of NWN
Count me in the humble ready-to-burn-in-hell group. The only public NWN server in my country is opened to anyone, free, beyond the reach of the long hands of GameSpy.
Well, you cannot blame a whole nation for being poor and lacking effective software piracy laws ...

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -- Capn Charlie

Well, lesson learned ... do 'NOT' piss off a trapped lich. -- Cardinal Deimos
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2004 :  18:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the horror, imagine the evils of free flow of information.

Seriously, for my entire gaming life the yhave been passed along anyway. I was the one that bought the three core rulebooks back in school, and at least 50 people must have got play out off those, never investing for more than a pencil or maybe some dice(but barely even that!). It was the same wit hconsole games. Careful to coordinate, we made sure that none of our group(some twenty odd individuals) never got the same game, that way we couls swap them around amongst ourselves and get maximum different games to play.

The trend continued as my group of friends one by one got computers. The games I bought made their way from my hands to those of my friend's as fast as I could play them.

Cassete tapes were quickly copied, and even many songs were copied off the radio. More than once on my scant allowance did I copy things out of the manuals in stores.

All the things people make such a big deal about today were just as present in the past two decades as they are today. Mayhaps not with the ease of today, but still, those without funds found a way. I suspect they always will.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Hamlet
Acolyte

Bulgaria
30 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2004 :  19:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Hamlet's Homepage Send Hamlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Capn Charlie: "Yes, the horror, imagine the evils of free flow of information." - Free flow of information, this is but a dream of mine, sincerely. Though we have brought it to life to some extent here ;>

Uh, blast me - am I rude! - apologizes for the off-topic turn, lads and lasses. [shuts her mimic mouth]

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -- Capn Charlie

Well, lesson learned ... do 'NOT' piss off a trapped lich. -- Cardinal Deimos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000