Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So who is Sinsabur the Mage??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2024 :  02:25:37  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the 3.5 sourcebook, Unapproachable East, there's a 4th level sorcerer/wizard necromancy spell called 'Sinsabur's Baleful Bolt'. Mechanics-wise, it was a very good spell and an optimizer's darling, as it was a rare Reflex-Save area necromancy spell that did a decent chunk of ability damage.

Unfortunately, a Google search and Candlekeep search yielded zero information on the mage, Sinsabur. Back in 2006 here at CKeep, George Krashos confirmed that we know nothing other than the spell name.

Also, the authors of the spell's book origin were Richard Baker, Matt Forbeck & SKR. All people who really don't interact here much for reference inquiries.

So that all said, I was wondering if any of you fine folk might have any homebrew lore/fiction mentioning this mysterious necromancer of the (presumably) northeast sector of Faerūn.

If not, I'll give it a go at writing up something on him. As I'm quite fascinated with his name, which is remarkably similar to a family name buried deep into my genealogical past. So anyhow, thank you for your time and attention!

Edited by - Crai on 28 Jan 2024 02:27:27

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2024 :  04:33:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll give it a go because I have a spare 5 minutes:

Sinsabur Ithilrin was born in the Year of the Grotto (1237 DR) and a Thayan mage with a storied wizardly lineage. His ancestor, Palandro, was Zulkir of Necromancy from 1033 DR to 1041 DR before disappearing on an expedition to explore the lost city of Pholzubbalt. Continuing the family tradition of necromancy, Sinsabur was successful in becoming one of Zulkir Szass Tam's many apprentices and managed to avoid that lich's disapproval and unwanted transformation into a lesser undead. Climbing the ranks of his School, Sinsanbur was selected to lead the contingent of necromancers who formed part of the Thayan army that invaded Mulhorand in the Year of the Manticore (1280 DR). That assault was initially successful, with the Thayans ravaging Murghom and laying siege to Sultim, before the armies of the God-Kings lead by Remanhur, incarnation of Anhur, forced them into retreat. Machinations between the Thayan schools of magic as a consequence of the death of the Zulkir of Conjuration, Orimmon Theremarr, in the disaster saw Sinsabur and his coterie of necromancers blamed for the defeat. Realizing that his master Szass Tam would sacrifice him with little thought to prevent any challenge to his power, Sinsabur fled Thay becoming a renegade Red Wizard. Initially fleeing to the city of Delthuntle in the Wizards Reach, Sinsabur felt correctly that the hand of Szass Tam sat uncomfortably close too him, and after two winters fled north into Spandeliyon, and then took ship to Milvarune. There he was given sanctuary briefly by the wizard Tarmagarth, in and in return made payment by way of imparting the secrets of his "baleful bolt" spell. Sinsabur departed Milvarune a season later, traveling into Thesk and after a brief sojourn in Phsant, was last seen headed north into the depths of the Forest of Lethyr in the Year of the Crawling Clouds (1283 DR). None know Sinsabur's fate to this day and many question whether he attained sufficient mastery of the Dark Art to attain lichdom or found another path to unnatural longevity by means of the necromantic arts. If he did achieve such mastery of magic he may yet survive as some twisted undead creature or a mighty lich lairing in the depths of the woodlands, or more likely beneath the roots of the forest giants found there.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2024 :  19:14:59  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'll give it a go because I have a spare 5 minutes:

Sinsabur Ithilrin was born in the Year of the Grotto (1237 DR) and a Thayan mage with a storied wizardly lineage. His ancestor, Palandro, was Zulkir of Necromancy from 1033 DR to 1041 DR before disappearing on an expedition to explore the lost city of Pholzubbalt. Continuing the family tradition of necromancy, Sinsabur was successful in becoming one of Zulkir Szass Tam's many apprentices and managed to avoid that lich's disapproval and unwanted transformation into a lesser undead. Climbing the ranks of his School, Sinsanbur was selected to lead the contingent of necromancers who formed part of the Thayan army that invaded Mulhorand in the Year of the Manticore (1280 DR). That assault was initially successful, with the Thayans ravaging Murghom and laying siege to Sultim, before the armies of the God-Kings lead by Remanhur, incarnation of Anhur, forced them into retreat. Machinations between the Thayan schools of magic as a consequence of the death of the Zulkir of Conjuration, Orimmon Theremarr, in the disaster saw Sinsabur and his coterie of necromancers blamed for the defeat. Realizing that his master Szass Tam would sacrifice him with little thought to prevent any challenge to his power, Sinsabur fled Thay becoming a renegade Red Wizard. Initially fleeing to the city of Delthuntle in the Wizards Reach, Sinsabur felt correctly that the hand of Szass Tam sat uncomfortably close too him, and after two winters fled north into Spandeliyon, and then took ship to Milvarune. There he was given sanctuary briefly by the wizard Tarmagarth, in and in return made payment by way of imparting the secrets of his "baleful bolt" spell. Sinsabur departed Milvarune a season later, traveling into Thesk and after a brief sojourn in Phsant, was last seen headed north into the depths of the Forest of Lethyr in the Year of the Crawling Clouds (1283 DR). None know Sinsabur's fate to this day and many question whether he attained sufficient mastery of the Dark Art to attain lichdom or found another path to unnatural longevity by means of the necromantic arts. If he did achieve such mastery of magic he may yet survive as some twisted undead creature or a mighty lich lairing in the depths of the woodlands, or more likely beneath the roots of the forest giants found there.

Oh my goodness. It's George Krashos himself! That's ... that's beautiful, George. And you left some VERY interesting off-ramp "seeds" for future lore to be built upon, too!

I especially love that this necromancer has a link to Milvarune (in Thesk) as our F.R. gaming group has ongoing campaign ties to that city. I think I'm going to go with your rumor that he may have fell into lichdom near the end of his mortal coil.

And finally, the best part is that Sinsabur's history ties in nicely to George's lore in his most-excellent 5e release on DM's Guild, "Tyrants in Scarlet" (highly recommended).

Thank you, G.K.!!

Edited by - Crai on 28 Jan 2024 19:19:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000