Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chapbooks & Broadsheets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2023 :  19:08:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Reading through some various bits of Realmslore, I suddenly find myself wanting to compile a list of known chapbooks and broadsheets.

I would off course appreciate any assistance!

Starting with just chapbooks, here's what I have so far. I'm not listing these in any particular order, but I am listing title, author if known, and where it was named. I've pinged Erik Scott de Bie on his; I found the list here, but it was in someone else's post and was presumably copied from elsewhere.

Unlike a list I found whilst I was looking, what I'm looking to do here is compile broadsheets and chapbooks mentioned in published Realmslore, or at the very least ones named/described by published authors/designers of the Realms. Stuff mentioned in computer games works, too, I guess, though I do want to include whatever source the stuff comes from.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Jun 2023 19:16:15

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2023 :  19:11:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapbooks:

Shilana Slides on the She-Dragon's Scales
Valhalaeria the Vaunted (Volothamp Geddarm)
Ed Greenwood Patreon

The Duchess Spanks Back
Ed Greenwood Patreon

Nymphs in Need (of my Embraces)
Ed Greenwood Patreon

Filfaeril Bound And Willing
Author(s) not listed or Author publicly unknown / (Manshoon)
Ed Greenwood, via The Hooded One, on Candlekeep

The Hunting Horn
Author(s) not listed or Author publicly unknown; sponsored by clergy of Sharess

KNOW THY LANDS And the Trails That Traverse Them/A Treatise of Worldly Wisdom By A Veteran Wayfarer
Author(s) not listed or Author publicly unknown

Fox among the Uthgardt
Arita
Erik Scott de Bie (source unknown)

Fox among the Night Masks
Arita

Fox against the Lord of Fate
Arita

Fox on the Run
Arita

Fox among the Dueling Dragons
Arita

Fox in the Black Bastion
Arita

Fox and the Shrouded Prince
Arita

Fox in the Anauroch
Arita

Fox and the Blue Fire
Arita

Hambra’s Horncall

Gaela’s Glittersar

The Twilight Tome

Stars Seen, Tales Told

Hawkblade’s Evenhorn

Beldrouk’s Bright Banners

Malanxer’s Tongue

Dansarra’s Delights

Sarander’s Tellings

The Dancing Dwarf

Ambritur’s Whip

Life Lessons From The Leaning Tower
"Lhaeo"/King Haedrak Errilam Alemander Olosar Lhorik Rhindaun III

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Jun 2023 06:37:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2023 :  19:13:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Broadsheets:

(I'm working on it and will post a list later)

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2023 :  04:52:55  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I won't volunteer any additions until you've finished posting to avoid useless doubles (and very much looking forward to seeing the results!), but I would suggest a slight (volume specific) format change from
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Manshoon

to

or somesuch

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2023 :  05:48:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

I won't volunteer any additions until you've finished posting to avoid useless doubles (and very much looking forward to seeing the results!), but I would suggest a slight (volume specific) format change from
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Manshoon

to

or somesuch

Good call; it is done

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2023 :  06:37:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for something else, and I stumbled across a reference to a chapbook by Lhaeo.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2023 :  16:47:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stumbled across a post on Twitter about chapbooks, and then had to use some serious search-fu to find all of it. If not for the Sage Advice account, I wouldn't have found all of it -- even going by date, Twitter's search engine simply wasn't bringing it all up. Usually, the Twitter search engine will bring up a Tweet if you search for part of the text of that Tweet, but that wasn't working, this day.

@jayeedgecliff

@TheEdVerse for the sake of flavour & whimsy may we have a look into the Suzail Times Bestseller List of chapbooks 1e greybox times? I get a vibe from your and other novelists from back then that the top genre is bodice rippers. Any close competition?

@TheEdVerse

A1) Sure. ;} I’ll split this reply so as not to overwhelm Twitter’s limits…
So the Old Gray Box is circa 1357 DR, and at that time Suzail has an avid reading public of all classes, not just wealthy nobility and “wannabe nobles” among the wealthiest rising merchants. It also has a healthy chapbook and broadsheet publishing scene, not to mention bustling playhouses (the nobility tend to “hire in” players to perform in their residences, rather than attending public performances).

Perennial leading bestsellers are, in descending order:

1. Bodice Rippers, especially if they’re thinly-disguised “tell all” adaptations of gossipy “I slept with Lord X or Lady Y or both” revelations.

2. Memoirs of adventuresome lives, either full of derring-do or swindling skullduggery, or travels through vividly-described “exotic locales afar,” or both.

3. Rags-to-riches family saga fiction about plucky rural heroes or heroines who by their wits and boldness ascend into the ranks of the wealthy and/or nobility, overcoming dastardly villains to do so.

4. Family histories of Cormyrean nobility, gentry, rising merchant families, or long-in-service-to-the-Crown folk, sales directly reflecting how entertainingly-written they are, and how salacious/revealing.

5. Useful “how to” chapbooks on making your own wine or clothes, or bestiaries of monsters and varmints/pests and how to deal with them.

B1) As of 1357-1360 DR, examples of #1 include: Amalthea’s Bright Ventures (steamy sex scenes, and a heroine who likes partners of both genders, is plucky and dense but improbably land-on-her-feet lucky; readers can see troubles and pitfalls she’s blundering into before she does, but she’s merry and naďve and endearing) by Lalandra Thoelur; The Revel At The Naughty Unicorn (a book-length lurid description of the unfolding debaucheries at a revel held by mischievous young nobles at a rented, fictitious Suzailan club in order to catch their elders in compromising situations; it succeeds all too well and involves the club being wrecked and set afire by mischance amid all the lusty doings) by Bors Baskalyn (almost certainly a pen-name, likely of a courtier employed at the Royal Court); and Calathae’s Crossed Blades (the adventures of a crossdressing young country lass of improbably great beauty and sword-skills, who sleeps, duels, and adventures her way through a series of wildly-fictitious noble mansions in search of her True Partner whom she can trust, as opposed to the many partners she finds pleasure with; in the end, Calathae becomes the consort of a widowed lady of high rank, and they live happily ever after, though not before some hot scenes no reader in Suzail wanted to miss, involving sex while tied to the back of a galloping horse).

C1) As of 1357-1360 DR, examples of #2 include: My Misadventures In Marsember (a thinly-disguised recitation of real-life scandals, swindles, and real-life smuggling in the shadier corners of Marsember, but fictionalized as happening to the purported author, a fictitious adventurer by the name of Randovel Rakesword, which ends with Rakesword enchanted by an evil sorceress into becoming her shapeshifting octopus slave and lover, and lurking with her underwater in Marsember, dragging incautious individuals carrying wealth down to watery dooms); With Sword And Throwing Knives Across Wildest Faerűn (a partly truthful, but embroidered with colorful tales and gossip that in truth came from the adventures of others, account of a successful dungeon-delving and dragonslaying retired adventurer of Suzail, concealing her true identity behind the pseudonym Desmra Daggermask); and Torthur’s Guide To Farthest Toril (a guidebook of dubious accuracy to places all over the world that are distant from Cormyr, which has sprinklings of useful lore about inns, taverns, local attractions, and currency details for some ports) by Aundemand Torthur, who vanished forever a few years later, quite likely eaten by a wilderland monster whilst incautiously answering a call of nature along a caravan road.

D1) As of 1357-1360 DR, examples of #3 include: High Houses And High Hearts (the tale of how handsome and amiable but coinless and untutored Avander Crickletoad became Avander Crownadar, successful maker of hats and coaches for the nobility, wooed and lost three noble heiresses, and at last lands Lady Dragonwood, a spirited and passionate—and entirely fictitious; no such noble family exists in Cormyr—widow, and becomes Lord Dragonwood) by Nanthaea Joldrall; Blackblades Hall (the saga of the evil, debauched, and decadent Blackblades noble family, who are entirely fictitious and who get justice done to them at swordpoint by plucky heroine Shalambrae Daerove, a swordmaker’s daughter who’s expert with a blade, afire with ‘justice for all, high and low,’ and who falls for the one good scion of the Blackblades, youngest brother Marlynd, and in the end becomes Lady Blackblades to his Lord, when all the rest of the Blackblades have found richly-deserved graves) by Horluth Ansammar; and The Ghost Baron (the saga of how a villainous and fictitious Baron Valandruth was finally brought low by three spirited heroines, though not before he passed into undeath yet continued to mistreat the living, thanks to enchantments laid on him by liches he’d entered into unholy alliances with).

E1) As of 1357-1360 DR, examples of #4 include: The Talvurs of Talvurgates (the true family history of the Talvur farming family of Dreamer’s Rock, some members of whom served long as Purple Dragons, others taking up adventuring all over Faerűn, one prospecting in the Moonsea North until maimed by ogres, another becoming a successful pirate sailing the Sea of Fallen Stars, and one daughter marrying a guildmaster in Waterdeep and becoming the lover of no less than three nobles at the same time) by Eldethelle Talvur; and By My Plume (the history of the Darendgannon courtier family, whose sigil is a single upright plume, and who have served in the Palace under sixteen Kings of Cormyr, writing down fascinating minor details and gossip of Palace life and the personal characters, hobbies, dress, sayings, and private deeds of many Obarskyrs) by Chaethla Darendgannon, the eighty-six-year-old retired Palace maid and last of the Darendgannons.

F1) As of 1357-1360 DR, examples of #5 include: The True And Mostly Compleat Bestiarie Of Cadellis Crowlarkyn, Adventurer (a gossipy and in some places useful compendium of the personal experiences of a retired adventuring rogue of long axed moustaches and airily flamboyant “camp” manners, pertaining to wild beasts from stinging insects up to raging wyverns, from how to cook and eat them to how to placate them to smells they dislike to how to best them in battle, a tome Elminster judged “mostly nonsense, but a good read”); and How To Masterfully Fish The Rivers And Rills of Cormyr (a comprehensive and accurate angling guide, complete with maps of precisely where the best spots to take fish are) by Rudrelko Indarjuth.

And there you have it. ;}

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jul 2023 16:54:50
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2023 :  21:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Nice project, Wooly! Good luck and will look forward to the end result. Would be a worthy list to include on the site itself.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly