Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Check this out!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  02:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Delete Topic

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9603828%255E28101,00.html

What do you reckon THAT weapon would be in D&D?

Thats looks nasty, though looks like it would be a cow to wield

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  02:41:27  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message
Looks wicked to me, some kind of Katar, or Tiger Claw I guess. (Think I got the terms right Luckily their isn't any import restrictions in FR, well Cormyr is a little touchy but ...

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  02:50:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message
Hmm... isn't a tiger claw the weapon that goes on top of your hand and delivers slashing attacks? This weapon seems to be designed more for thrusting.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  02:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Its looks ornamental to me

While it looks impressive you wouldnt want to be wielding it if your opponent manged to get his weapons beteen the blades...mangled fingers, there isnt a Hand guard

As for using it Id say its a stabbing weapon it looks like some youd try and thrust into your opponents chest or abdomen

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 19 May 2004 03:19:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:02:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

While it looks impressive you wouldnt want to be wielding it if your opponent manged to get his weapons beteen the blades...mangled fingers, there is a Hand guard

As for using it Id say its a stabbing weapon it looks like some youd try and thrust into your opponents chest or abdomen

Yeah, I agree... It almost looks like something a Star Trek Klingon would have.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Would make a nice weapon for a monk of the Long Death though

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sachiel
Acolyte

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:12:15  Show Profile  Visit Sachiel's Homepage Send Sachiel a Private Message
A nasty weapon indeed. It's an even nastier thought imagining what type of damage such a blade configuration could do .

Wooly Rupert is right though, it is similar in design and shape to the second generation Klingon blades which were based on the earlier "d'targh" designs from the original series. Unfortunately I cannot find an image to link to, in order to compare both weapons.

"Maybe all those people who think me a fool are onto something."
-- Danilo Thann, "Elfshadow"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:18:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
My favorite part of the story:

quote:

Victorian Customs regional director Jenny Peachey said buyers should not assume anything could be imported if bought on the internet

Right up there with, "What do you mean my account has no money left? I still have checks in my checkbook."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

My favorite part of the story:

quote:

Victorian Customs regional director Jenny Peachey said buyers should not assume anything could be imported if bought on the internet

Right up there with, "What do you mean my account has no money left? I still have checks in my checkbook."

No the more amusing comment is this

"Knives and other weapons are restricted imports," Ms Peachey said. "A permit to import a restricted item can be applied for prior to importation."

ie The weapon was confiscated not because it was a banned weapon but because the right forms hadnt been filled in

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:26:25  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
If I was a weaponsmith.I would put a handgaurd on it,with another,smaller blade coming off that.I'd also make the outer two blades so that it can be used as a slashing weapon as well.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:29:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
ie The weapon was confiscated not because it was a banned weapon but because the right forms hadnt been filled in

Beware the paper pushers, they will unleash Bane style anger on you if you don't check the right boxes on their forms.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  04:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
There doesnt seem to be anything in the PHB or the Arms and Equipment guide that resembles that weapon......

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sachiel
Acolyte

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  04:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Sachiel's Homepage Send Sachiel a Private Message
Some of the GRR books present some nasty looking weaponry. Perhaps you should look through those.

"Maybe all those people who think me a fool are onto something."
-- Danilo Thann, "Elfshadow"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  04:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
It seems like a strange weapon for gang crime. Like you said, a cow to wield. It looks more like someone was trying to add to his fantasy-weapon collection.

Of course, I can only say that based on the picture. I don't have any idea of who purchased it. But I think the person who wrote that article was trying to be sensational. After all, the person who ordered it was let off with a warning. If it had really been intended "for the streets" then surely the Customs officials wouldn't have been so easy on him/her.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  04:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Yeah the Australian media have a thing for weapons

In the mid 90s a raving lunatic went on a killing spree down in Tasmania and after it happaned the media went into full Hysteria mode and got the goverment to pretty much ban guns.

What the media conviently didnt mention was that they guy who did the shooting was a well known fruit cake and had he been put in a nice padded room instead of being allowed out on the streets then the masacare would have never occured.

Amusingly enough a mob war has broken out in Melbourne about 12-18 months ago and most of victims have been killed with weapons that where banned by the goverment in 1996 ie Banning guns is completely ineffective because if some one really wants one they'll find a way.

Signed Dargoth
A disgruntled former licenced gun owner

PS we should probably get back on topic as my rant is not really FR related

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:06:30  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
If I had to slap it in a category, I'd go with punch dagger. Some of the more elaborate katars scissored open with three blades. They were designed for the wielder to stab their opponent and then squeeze the grip in a specific fashion in order to cause the blade to scissor open inside the opponent's body and then be pulled out for a large exit wound.

Here's one of the scissoring kind from history:
http://www.ec21.com/co/r/realantique/product.html?grp=GC00003990&cid=CA00016344

This particular "knife" is essentially a very ornamental and inefective double bladed punch dagger.

I say inefective because due to the absolute lack of protection for the wielder's hand it is obvious that it was not designed with the thought of fighting another armed opponent. A blade trapped between the two blades of this knife would simply slice off a few fingers. If it is designed for fighting an unarmed opponent, a simple short sword would be far easier to wield and more effective.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 19 May 2004 06:09:31
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
All I can say is, more people should be taught to use guns. Then they respect them as the killing machines they are, rather than treat them as a) evil creations of Satan, or b) toys.

Now, as to this weapon in D&D, I think it wouldn't be pretty realistic. Though, if you reshaped it somewhat . . . a large, slashing blade on the outside edge, and a hand guard, perhaps. Then it might be better.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  17:07:38  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
What the...?! This weapon looks like a backstab tiger claw. What kind of less minded people would take this? It can be useful in stealth attacks, but, i don't like the back fighting, i don't know if you know what i mean. I think is uncomfortable to be drinking in a tabern and suddenly, you've got a nice weird knife in your back.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  11:10:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
There have actually been several other 'home-made' weapons uncovered since Dargoth posted this link. There are no images however, just descriptions.

From these descriptions, I think what the Bookwyrm said earlier about this person "adding to his fantasy-weapon collection" may hold some measure of truth. From these descriptions, I've determined that two katars, a kurki-styled blade, and a sickle all appear to have been forged in standard homemade fashion and uncovered as part of this cache. There was also several long blades (with no handles) and two short sword style blades found in a waste disposal unit several blocks from the first cache.

Disturbing no...?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  07:07:58  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Disturbing no...?

Frankly, not really. But then again, I live in Fresno, California where grenades and automatic weapons are confiscated so often that they don't make the news.

Here's a quote regarding stuff found raiding Fresnan pot growers:
quote:
In Fresno County, authorities recently found a grenade with a trip wire strapped to a propane tank. Law enforcement has confiscated semiautomatic weapons, night-vision binoculars, and bulletproof vests from growers.

Here's a quote about our Violent Crime Suppression Unit (a SWAT team that patrols the streets):
quote:
“On one such evening, three squads of ten police officers in combat boots, black jumpsuits, military helmets and bulletproof vests lock and load their Heckler & Koch MP-54 submachine guns (the same weapons used by the elite Navy SEALs) and fan out through the neighborhood... Since 1994 the VCSU has patrolled this city’s have-not suburbs in full military gear, with automatic assault rifles at the ready. Backed by two helicopters with infrared scopes and an Army-surplus armored personnel carrier, the unit is also equipped with attack dogs, smoke bombs, tear gas, pepper spray, metal clubs and less-than-lethal ‘blunt trauma’ projectiles.”

The Nation
“SWAT Nation”
May 31, 1999

So, yeah, a funny looking knife and a few other bladed weapons really isn't too disturbing.

Can't beat living in the land of the free and the brave, eh?

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  07:40:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
::The Sage shudders for a moment, quietly taking the time to remind himself that he is glad to be living in this strange southern realm known only as Australia...::

Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  14:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message
quote:

Yeah the Australian media have a thing for weapons

In the mid 90s a raving lunatic went on a killing spree down in Tasmania and after it happaned the media went into full Hysteria mode and got the goverment to pretty much ban guns.
[Trimmed]

Signed Dargoth
A disgruntled former licenced gun owner

PS we should probably get back on topic as my rant is not really FR related

I started my Australian sojourn right around the Port Arthur incident, and the banning, and thought it was utterly ironic that the first gold medal won in the '96 Olympics for Australia was in ... shooting. I forget the poor bloke's name, but he got off the airplane with the rifle and the gold medal, and I believe they sawed the barrel off of it right there on the tarmac.

That 'weapon' has got to be something to hang on the wall (though why anyone would want ir over a nice "ceremonial" sword, I don't know). If used in combat, they'd get the appelation "The corpse of . . ." unless circumstances were unearthly/unTorilianly(is that a word? ) in their favor. . . .

Lysander
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  15:11:33  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

quote:

Disturbing no...?

Frankly, not really. But then again, I live in Fresno, California where grenades and automatic weapons are confiscated so often that they don't make the news.

Here's a quote regarding stuff found raiding Fresnan pot growers:
quote:
In Fresno County, authorities recently found a grenade with a trip wire strapped to a propane tank. Law enforcement has confiscated semiautomatic weapons, night-vision binoculars, and bulletproof vests from growers.

Here's a quote about our Violent Crime Suppression Unit (a SWAT team that patrols the streets):
quote:
“On one such evening, three squads of ten police officers in combat boots, black jumpsuits, military helmets and bulletproof vests lock and load their Heckler & Koch MP-54 submachine guns (the same weapons used by the elite Navy SEALs) and fan out through the neighborhood... Since 1994 the VCSU has patrolled this city’s have-not suburbs in full military gear, with automatic assault rifles at the ready. Backed by two helicopters with infrared scopes and an Army-surplus armored personnel carrier, the unit is also equipped with attack dogs, smoke bombs, tear gas, pepper spray, metal clubs and less-than-lethal ‘blunt trauma’ projectiles.”

The Nation
“SWAT Nation”
May 31, 1999

So, yeah, a funny looking knife and a few other bladed weapons really isn't too disturbing.

Can't beat living in the land of the free and the brave, eh?

Sarta

I really love living in my forest in spain, without authomathical bunnies

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  15:13:09  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
I've got a Star!!!! It looks nice, doesn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  15:15:35  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message
D'you know if the blades are from toledo???

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  15:16:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed it does, now try and work your way up to five of them...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  15:56:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gion

I've got a Star!!!! It looks nice, doesn't it?

Yes, it does. I like the color of your star as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  16:19:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I've every intention of getting all five stars, meself...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  16:23:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I've every intention of getting all five stars, meself...

Might have to aim higher...I recall seeing a post where stars beyond five were alluded to as a possibility.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  01:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

While it looks impressive you wouldnt want to be wielding it if your opponent manged to get his weapons beteen the blades...mangled fingers, there is a Hand guard

Yeah, I agree... It almost looks like something a Star Trek Klingon would have.

Yup! We would! The nastier the better!!!!!

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  01:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message
quote:

For some reason the 'spam song' is running thru the brain and I DON'T like monty python. (has something to do with a friend who ticked me off on a bad night with quoting the frellin' thing!

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000