Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gnome settlement names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  22:08:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am working on something that requires the creation of an indeterminate number of gnome settlements. I already have written something to generate these but I realized that naming them is going to very likely be a time sink. To address that, I created a gnome settlement name generator but I am not sure of the output. Below are examples. Do they seem to be sufficiently "gnomish"?

Lenabur
Varechiktul
Herlalyul
Barannahode
Faerirasbyn
Otefennjandur
Rasabaerbyn
Pinannabur
Trinannadul
Harlalshyn
Emsalbul
Joukayur
Arbannadul

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  22:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like some of them but a few give me a Nordic vibe that I just don’t see going well with gnomes. I would look to filter them out unless that was your intention. I mean, gnome Vikings would actually be kind of a cool, unique idea.

I’d love a lot of these for cities of jotunbrud.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 19 Oct 2022 22:37:08
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  22:47:10  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you point out the ones you feel are a bit too Nordic? That way I can tweak the code to prevent similar ones from being created.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2022 :  02:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Otefennjandur comes across to me as the most notable one. The ones with the suffix -byn less so. It could just be me, this isn’t based on linguistics, just an overall feel.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2022 :  04:45:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the name Barannahode. But I'll also admit that gnomes just aren't on my radar, so I can't say what does and doesn't seem gnomish.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2022 :  05:30:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, code changes would make Otefennjandur into Otefenjandur and the others into Faerirasbun and Rasaberbun.

Not sure about changing the byn into bun. Byn was created as an alternate to the existing shyn from the canon Beldenshyn.

The tool was written to mimic the dwarven stronghold name generator in the 2e Complete book of Dwarves only using the gnome names that would be created using the gnome name generator from Dragon Magazine. Maybe I need to re-examine the suffixes in general. I only have 12 of them now with 6 coming from canon gnome settlement names.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2022 :  17:50:59  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I re-examined the source materials and made some changes. I believe these are much more "gnomish".

Chakarul
Rasrol
Kylithungbul
Wedeshyn
Baeipallaaberdshyn
Kilihur
Felefol
Estabul
Chakeyur
Jiknaberdfol
Segefol
Ardamot
Bublenkom
Tikamuk
Kilnsan Vled
Trine Vled
Eangaerbarmuk

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2022 :  22:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed! Love Ardemot, Trine Vled, and Kilihul the most.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2022 :  02:33:01  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for y'all's help. If anyone wants a copy of any of my tools, just let me know. They are written in PowerShell, so they are easily modified.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2022 :  03:54:29  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomeregan is a classic. Oh, wait. Wrong franchise.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2022 :  06:46:37  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Secret of Spiderhaunt features a Gnome village by the name of "Stormpemhauder". Germanic?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2022 :  16:32:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That doesn't sound very "gnomish". Based on the history presented, that could be a corruption of the gnome name by the traders and the gnomes just got tired of correcting them. My tool could generate Skorpenhode. Stormpemhauder has a "Thorass" feel to it so maybe that was the closest the humans of the past could or wanted to get to the correct pronunciation.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2022 :  01:01:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Ok, I re-examined the source materials and made some changes. I believe these are much more "gnomish".

Chakarul
Rasrol
Kylithungbul
Wedeshyn
Baeipallaaberdshyn
Kilihur
Felefol
Estabul
Chakeyur
Jiknaberdfol
Segefol
Ardamot
Bublenkom
Tikamuk
Kilnsan Vled
Trine Vled
Eangaerbarmuk

Exotic spelling is all well and good, but Baipalaberdshyn works a bit better than the version you have above IMHO. Far easier on old eyes like mine!

Love the names. Is it okay if I steal a few for projects?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2022 :  02:02:36  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Chakarul
Rasrol
Kylithungbul
Wedeshyn
Baeipallaaberdshyn
Kilihur
Felefol
Estabul
Chakeyur
Jiknaberdfol
Segefol
Ardamot
Bublenkom
Tikamuk
Kilnsan Vled
Trine Vled
Eangaerbarmuk

Exotic spelling is all well and good, but Baipalaberdshyn works a bit better than the version you have above IMHO. Far easier on old eyes like mine!

Love the names. Is it okay if I steal a few for projects?

-- George Krashos

Sure, grab what you want. I can generate more if needed.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2022 :  17:52:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, in case you need some non-mundane names to go with those settlements. Since computer generated names can be a bit odd, I usually generate about a dozen of 'em and grab the one(s) that I like.

Male
Dagibaer Wyldcutter
Feligar Gearstrider
Tykkm Honorbraben
Addekorb Slyosstenfal
Gaerac Copperhead
Lunyl Birlyleaf
Chikyl Wildbrow
Cannuwann Steelgand
Cammuulbr Wanfall
Skoraumbruraer Sparklefeather

Female
Chakeola Aleeye
Pallally Slagchaunt
Gellowenna Tinwink
Wenna Wenleam
Umbrany Ashhand
Erfonne Shadowdow
Eaurechika Thartelo
Ulduvalibaea Blemdlun
Hedany Gaeleaf
Lenaowae Bodgensh
Herlovala Moondilar

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000