Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Disposing of a Corpse
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:03:33  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know of good ways to handle a corpse? I was reading the Epic Handbook and there was a section about how an assassin spreads her cloak on a corpse and even greater gods cannot find it.

Then in Elminster's Daughter, an evil merchant used something liquid called brain burn on his victims so priests wouldn't be able to talk to them.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For corpse removal I always found the various oozes, slimes and jellies to be rather efficient corpse custodians. Of course they are not easily controlled, but I could imagine an assassin’s guild keeping a small underground dumping area full of them for just this purpose.

My personal favorite is the Gelatinous Cube, because it carries the contents along with it and eventually dissolves living matter.

A combination sequence of Flesh to Stone, Rock to Mud and Stone to Flesh spells work nicely to disguise the identity of a dead organism. (*not my idea but a variation borrowed from Paul Kid's Greyhawk novels).

Still I am not sure that many assassins would want to cover up the body of a high profile target as news of this would lead them (or their guild) to greater prestige once it is known that they did the hit. If there is no evidence at all (not even a body) then anyone could claim anything.

If you’re looking to block divinations (Speak with Dead, etc) or Deity intervention it’s a bit harder... I think I recall something from the novel Silverfall, where Alustriel was unable to have her priests commune with a murder victim for some reason. I remember the victim was slain in a dead magic area, but not sure if there was another factor that prevented this divination as well. Maybe one of the other list members can more specifically recall the circumstances of this event.

If I remember from way back, the weapon Blackrazor from the module White Plume Mountains was a soul eater. I would imagine that if a weapon of the realms has a similar ability that once a soul is taken in this manner it is effectively shielded from divinations. A Bag of Devouring might prove an equally efficient tool

Similarly, if a demi-lich traps a soul one might argue that the same blockage occurs...but these are more for hiding the soul and not the corpse, so of course the body still needs to be disposed of….

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 17 May 2004 05:01:15
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  07:28:20  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always had a penchant for finding good uses for cursed items. When it comes to getting rid of dead bodies, it's hard to beat a bag of devouring.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  14:44:51  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... these are all interesting ways. I have to try them out with my assassin character soon. Lol.

Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  18:28:55  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it depends on if you intend to use magic to cover your tracks.

If non magic means are searched here are some ideas.

* bury it
* put weights on it and toss it into the ocean
* burn it
* feed it to some animal
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:23:45  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought burning would be best.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  00:10:45  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Vedisca, even charred corpses can come back or be interrogated by priests. Also, it draws too much attention.

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  02:15:26  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

A combination sequence of Flesh to Stone, Rock to Mud and Stone to Flesh spells work nicely to disguise the identity of a dead organism. (*not my idea but a variation borrowed from Paul Kid's Greyhawk novels).

I wouldn't think you'd need to change it from stone to flesh. Flesh to Stone followed by Rock to Mud should do the trick. You just need to hose the mud away to remove all traces.

For a standard assassin lacking the magical means to dispose of the corpse you may want to borrow from real life. The thuggees of India had this down to a science -- you might want to check this out: http://www.litrix.com/madraven/madne013.htm

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  00:06:44  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a new type of metal in the Complete Warrior that traps souls of its victims so that they cannot be ressurected. Let me see...
::Pulls out a scroll::
Ah its called Thinaun , and its not cheap.
Light Weapon +10,000gp

One handed weapon,
or 1 head of a double weapon +15,000gp

Two Handed weapon,
or both heads of a double weapon +20,000gp

It seems a very useful thing to have around when your Dm likes reoccuring bad guys...

-The Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  00:10:51  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting... a new weapon for my assassin is needed. Lol.

BTW, does anyone have the Epic Handbook? Inside, it mentions an organization called the Garrote and how the leader has a cloak that when laid on top of a body, it disappears and even gods can't bring the person back. Does anyone have any info on this cloak?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  06:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Interesting... a new weapon for my assassin is needed. Lol.

BTW, does anyone have the Epic Handbook? Inside, it mentions an organization called the Garrote and how the leader has a cloak that when laid on top of a body, it disappears and even gods can't bring the person back. Does anyone have any info on this cloak?

You've essentially said it all, but here are the relevant pieces from the Epic Level Handbook:
quote:
Epic Level Handbook
Anifer Unglum(CE female leShay Rog6/Asn14), the current Guild Mother, is an enigmatic creature of incredible power and subtlety. Anifer wears a cloak whose interior can open into a void dimension. When the remains of a victim are sent to her for utter removal, she allows her cloak to fall over the body and speaks a command word. When the cloak is pulled free, the body is gone forever, beyond even the recall of greater gods.

quote:

If permanent removal is desired(which requires Anifer's participation), the fee is the same + 25%.

Just a question: does the name Anifer remind anyone else of Jennifer Aniston?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  06:09:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Not until you mentioned it. Are you a fan just making a connection or do you think the author's subconscious was coming out when he picked the name?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  06:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Not until you mentioned it. Are you a fan just making a connection or do you think the author's subconscious was coming out when he picked the name?

No, I'm not a fan by any length of fandom-I just kept mentally connecting the two. I think you may be right-I'd chalk that down to subconcious, also.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000