Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Leonins?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  21:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do we have any official ruling on if these beings are in the Realms? I’ve always loved wemics and I think that’s just too much lionfolk if we bring them to the Shaar personally.

I know they are Theros or whatever, but Goliaths started elsewhere too, and I’ve found that they fit perfectly in the Realms.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2022 :  00:10:51  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No official ruling. I believe they are unique to Theros and are not included in the new Mordenkainen Multiverse book for that reason. No reason you can't include them though.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2022 :  01:32:04  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

No official ruling. I believe they are unique to Theros and are not included in the new Mordenkainen Multiverse book for that reason. No reason you can't include them though.

Makes sense. I think there’s too much wemic overlap but who knows, maybe Nobanion and Malar kidnapped opposing tribes at some point and there’s some conflict somewhere. Perhaps (and I know Sleyvas will love this), in Katashaka.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2022 :  21:03:51  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could just be another variety of catfolk (i.e. tabaxi). Since tabaxi are apparently indigenous to Maztica, perhaps leonin could be a subrace of them that is local to parts of the Realms. The Shining Plains or Gulthmere forest would seem a good spot, where the faith of Nobanion is strong. In my own Realms campaign I've already done this and had them as a catfolk subrace that has it's origins in human druidic followers of Nobanion long ago that were granted a leonine visage as a blessing in the form of a permanent shapeshift spell. The purpose of their creation was also to protect and be the advocate of feline beings of the Realms such as the wemics, and they were thusly often called nobani after the Lion God.

Edited by - deserk on 03 Mar 2022 21:09:55
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11704 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2022 :  03:57:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The leonin (which I had named Lenastans prior to them coming up with the mythic odyssey of Theros) are the reason that I named the northern half of Katashaka the Eastern and Western Pridelands (as in the lands of a cat pride). I'm going with few humans though, and multiple different kinds of cat folk using localized names. For instance

Ghirrashi
This strange four armed race of cat folk is believed to be descended from an extraplanar race of shadowy cat folk who were brought to this plane long ago by the Lords of Latoombe, City of Tricksters. These cat folk were said to have served as mercenaries and warlords for some time and taken harems from the local tribes of tigrans, pumaji, and tabaxi. They have a wide variety of colorations, including black furred, and white or tawny colored with spots or stripes.
Kitaari
A tauric cat folk similar in many ways to wemic, though their facial features are more human and they do not possess manes. Their bodies have a wide variety of colorations,
Lenastan
As far as rules go, this race has all the same look and racial traits as the leonin from Mythic Odysseys of Theros (or the upcoming Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse) .
Pumaji
This black furred race of cat folk live and hunt in the jungles of central Katashaka and are particularly antagonistic against those who trespass on their lands.
Simbaara
In Faerun, these beings would be known as wemics, but in Katashaka they call themselves the Simbaara.
Tabaxi
As far as rules go, this race has all the same look and racial traits as the tabaxi from Volo's Guide to Monsters (or the upcoming Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse).
Tigrans
This jungle dwelling cat folk tend to be more muscular than tabaxi and have a much more warlike culture. The red wizards refer to them as Rakshasta, as they believe them to be related to the Rakshasa lords of Latoombe. Many of them dwell in great stone cities in the jungle which resemble the ziggurats of the people of Maztica.

To note, we don't see much about the worship of Nula and Watil in Maztica, so one thing I'd like to propose is that Nula's worship is stronger in Katashaka (Watil's as well). Many of the humans of Katashaka may have long ago practiced a form of "hishna" magic that actually transformed them (similar to how Zaltec transformed the humans on the night of Wailing). Thus, their names are indicative of types of cats (Pumaji = Puma, Tigrans + Tiger, etc..). I also want to have some other cat gods that we hear of as dead elsewhere (like Kiga the Predator of Maztica), as well as Nobanion being known as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Mar 2022 04:09:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000