Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magic staffs of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  02:27:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Aside from the article in Dragon 173, are there any other sources detailing various magical staffs in the Realms? I'm working on an NPC, and I want him to have something different from the standard fare of the core rulebooks, but none of the ones in that Dragon article quite grabbed me.

The NPC in question is 9th level, so I'm not looking for a "lay waste to all the Realms" type of staff -- just something reasonable for a PC that level to have.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  02:59:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staff of Thunder and Lightning seems the sort of thing that would be epic at mid-high levels. It's not subtle. It can do some blasting. But mostly it just makes lots of scary flash and noise. The sort of thing which makes a mageling seem mighty, which suggests he can do a whole lot more, which people tell tales about in the taverns.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  04:04:03  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staff of Fury from Old Empires p82. It allows the wielder to boost their damage spells when needed (and limited by the number of charges the staff has since a 9th level mage won't be able to recharge it).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  07:04:54  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There are a large number of magic items in the various FR sourcebooks. For example:

FR4 has three staves
FR10 Old Empires has two staves, if your NPC can handle the southern magic
FOR2 Dow of the Underdark has one staff
FOR4 The Code of the Harpers has two staves
FOR5 Elves of Evermeet has two extremely powerful staves
FOR6 The Seven Sisters has one staff, but only three exist so I doubt your NPC will have access to this style
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has one staff

Ruins of Myth Drannor beats all the other sourcebooks - ten staves!

And that's not even counting the d20 material for the Forgotten Realms

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1486 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  09:29:22  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Aside from the article in Dragon 173, are there any other sources detailing various magical staffs in the Realms? I'm working on an NPC, and I want him to have something different from the standard fare of the core rulebooks, but none of the ones in that Dragon article quite grabbed me.

The NPC in question is 9th level, so I'm not looking for a "lay waste to all the Realms" type of staff -- just something reasonable for a PC that level to have.

Pathfinder has the staff of the master, which is basically an arcane school themed staff that lets you use the staff's charges to apply metamagic to your spells. It's a CL 5 staff in its apprentice form and the published version is a necromantic variation. It could be interesting to PCs interested in staves.

https://www.aonprd.com/MagicStavesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Staff%20of%20the%20Master%20(Necromancy)

Just refluff it to another school of magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  13:26:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

There are a large number of magic items in the various FR sourcebooks. For example:

FR4 has three staves
FR10 Old Empires has two staves, if your NPC can handle the southern magic
FOR2 Dow of the Underdark has one staff
FOR4 The Code of the Harpers has two staves
FOR5 Elves of Evermeet has two extremely powerful staves
FOR6 The Seven Sisters has one staff, but only three exist so I doubt your NPC will have access to this style
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has one staff

Ruins of Myth Drannor beats all the other sourcebooks - ten staves!

And that's not even counting the d20 material for the Forgotten Realms

Ooh, now this was the kind of thing I was looking for! Thankee for the list!

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  13:45:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic of Faerūn (3.0) should have a pretty extensive list of Realms exclusive Staffs.

I can't think of any Realms "specific" staffs in 4E, though.there are a LOT of them with various abilities.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  19:07:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just wondering Wooly, what edition of the game and 9th level "what class"? Just thinking that you leave us open the option of presenting you an idea and see if you like it. Always fun to come up with something new.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  19:52:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

just wondering Wooly, what edition of the game and 9th level "what class"? Just thinking that you leave us open the option of presenting you an idea and see if you like it. Always fun to come up with something new.

There's not a simple answer to that one... But the simplest answer would be 2E, and a generalist mage.

See, I'm playing in a 2E campaign right now. And what prompted the creation of this character is the fact that the existing wizard's player may be exiting the campaign (real-life issues).

So I've built this wizard as a mostly-ready-to-play 2E character. But I don't know if he'll actually get used or not -- so I'm also approaching him as an NPC.

As an NPC, the edition of the magic staff really wouldn't matter as much -- this is more of a "I'm building an NPC because I like doing so" thing, so edition is lesser concern, there. I think in terms of 2E, I know enough 3.x to wing that edition, and I've got the books for but have not played 5E.

And of course, even if I do get to use the character in our campaign, it's going to be the DM that assigns the magic items. I can of course say "I really like this item from this source" but it wouldn't be my call if the character got it or not.

So, short story long: I'm leaning 2E, but I'm flexible.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  21:21:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

There's not a simple answer to that one... But the simplest answer would be 2E, and a generalist mage.

See, I'm playing in a 2E campaign right now. And what prompted the creation of this character is the fact that the existing wizard's player may be exiting the campaign (real-life issues).

So I've built this wizard as a mostly-ready-to-play 2E character. But I don't know if he'll actually get used or not -- so I'm also approaching him as an NPC.

As an NPC, the edition of the magic staff really wouldn't matter as much -- this is more of a "I'm building an NPC because I like doing so" thing, so edition is lesser concern, there. I think in terms of 2E, I know enough 3.x to wing that edition, and I've got the books for but have not played 5E.

And of course, even if I do get to use the character in our campaign, it's going to be the DM that assigns the magic items. I can of course say "I really like this item from this source" but it wouldn't be my call if the character got it or not.

So, short story long: I'm leaning 2E, but I'm flexible.

Gotcha... what popped in my head when you mentioned a staff was a staff of alchemy that's a little more like a walking stick / cane. It would be a relatively minor staff, but one with a lot of versatile uses. It would have a screw off top that turns into a cup, and when you say specific words it would release a low level potion, or tea, or acid, or lantern oil, or oil of impact, or ink, or paint, or something weird like mango juice. Not overpowered, but versatile. Whenever the "top" is screwed back on, its cleaned for the next use. Charges renew every day.

Physically, the walking stick would look like a can with a glass orb at the top that's connected by a metal ring, but when you twist off this glass orb and look at it, its most definitely a potion bottle.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 10 Feb 2021 22:00:30
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  19:27:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FOR13: Secrets of the Magister has a MIGHTY staff detailed on p.49 under Larongar Veverell's entry. The real kicker is that, as MIGHTY as it is, the listed information is only partial...there are other (unknown) powers.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  17:43:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then there was staff of night...

Ultimately, if you want a comprehensive-ish list from before d20, it's The Magic Encyclopedia, or Encyclopedia Magica, or some web list lifted from there.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000