Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Cool Find From ye Olden Days
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  20:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Someone shared this on an FR Facebook page and it’s gold.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tsrnewsletter.pdf

Mod edit: Removed all the extraneous Facebook stuff from the URL.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Feb 2021 20:29:42

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  20:13:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is interesting. I'm hoping for a snippet of lost lore or two but it looks like it was all printed in the OGB to me.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  20:24:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This came from right after the OGB. In the OGB there was a form where you sent in your name and mailing address to join the Order of Heroes for some kind of newsletter for the realms. Its the only newsletter that was ever sent though.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Sages

I loved that they did this, and one of the great secrets revealed was that Thay had been founded with the aid of renegade Halruaans. They further hinted to this in the first shining south in some passage.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  20:28:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They used to have a page dedicated to that, on the Wizards site... Apparently, they planned to do the newsletter, then decided against it -- but no one thought to tell their publisher, who printed off those sign-up cards and shipped them out. TSR basically forgot the whole thing until the sign-up cards started arriving in the mail, and then they had to scramble to slap something together.

I have one of the actual mailed-out copies; I bought it on eBay.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2021 :  21:33:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there was a second one in the works, which I have some of the bits to from Ed but it never really got off the ground.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2021 :  22:46:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Those prices.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2021 :  04:06:40  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember signing up for that newsletter and never getting anything.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2021 :  14:13:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I remember signing up for that newsletter and never getting anything.

mine is in my old grey box still, which since I had no other accessories seemed the perfect place to put it. I remember it showing up and thinking "wow, there is SO MUCH knowledge in here for Aglarond and Halruaa" and being very excited about those places. I also remember thinking how cool it was that they had done that. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of money, so I didn't get things like polyhedron because I didn't join, and a lot of the 2e supplements I only got later.

I remember writing up a whole campaign about King's Reach involving Impiltur sometime after this and building on it slowly for a few years... I even had essentially an "alias clone" concept involving Sleyvas and his dead wife, so that he had all these "children" that resembled him. (which looking back on is a little basic, but for its time and my age/experience wasn't too bad. But I've come to realize may have been around the same time that Ed was detailing King's Reach in polyhedron... and the two are vastly different... mine was very literally stating that this was a rogue group of Impilturans who had named their city King's Reach, because they existed "just outside the King's Reach"). I didn't realize Ed had ever published anything about the city in polyhedron until probably nearing the end of 2nd edition, because I also never got into any of the ravens bluff stuff either. Gods, to think that was almost 30 years ago.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000