Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rules for Skyships in 5e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9895 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  18:25:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just curious, even if its skyships in Eberron, has any rules been written up anywhere for them regarding basic movement speeds, etc.. that might be useful in an encounter type scenario already? I know there was a crashed skyship in Chult, but I don't think there were any rules written to go with it. Just didn't want to recreate the wheel if I didn't have to. About to check DM's guild, because I'm not real particular on the rules to use, I just want something that looks like it could function for use in a game.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34467 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  18:36:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there were write-ups in earlier editions, but I'm not aware of anything for 5E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9895 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  19:55:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found something in Eberron - Rising from the Last War. That being said, they're limiting production of them via having the wood "naturally buoyant" and calling it soarwood, so its not really like the concept of Halruaan ships, which require constant recasting of magic, etc....

But, I did find something on DM's Guild that's looking interesting if a little complex, but it's also pay what you want called Airships and Mayhem. May look at it. It seems to more fit the concepts of Halruaan ships, but rather than specifying "having to cast levitate" it works on giving up spell slots to charge crystals of magic that get drained. Still, it makes it "not free" and "requiring daily maintenance". Might be fun. I also see some other guy that apparently went to more depth with a bunch of Izzy's guide to airship stuff, but I can't get a good preview and I don't want to drop any money on something without a good reason.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4053 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2021 :  06:05:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how useful this is, but in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (4E) p.254 it says: "Magic allows it to climb or descent in the air, but it can sail the seas as well. In either mode, it relies on the wind for forward speed. As long as its magic remains, a Skyship won't fall from the air or sink."

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000