Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What realms have existed where Waterdeep is now?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Inveterate_DM
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  20:36:51  Show Profile Send Inveterate_DM a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A little context: I'm looking to build the rather random vault from Waterdeep: Dragon Heist into something a bit more interesting.
It's clearly Dwarven (or at least appears to be Dwarven now ) but it seems as though it's not connected to Undermountain or any existing structures whatsoever.
Oddly, it's only known entrance/exit is to the surface, which I found somewhat peculiar for a Dwarven vault.
Anyway, I know that the city of Waterdeep arose over the former site of Aelinthaldaar (Illefarn).
I know that there were a few other minor blips of civilizations, kingdoms, cities, etc. over the centuries as well.
I'm specifically wondering which of those might have built a vault of this nature?

Bonus Points: In the vault, there are a total of 12 sets of double-doors, and all but 2 of those sets are just false. They're doors mounted right to the rock.
Well, that's fine...I guess. But I was considering having them actually hide keyed portals or tunnels or something along those lines. If we can figure out a source for this Vault AND it includes a civilization that might have built portals? Well that'd be amazing :)

Thanks folks

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  20:43:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elven Illefarn of old. They did allow the Melairkyn dwarves to mine for mithral in what is now Undermountain from -1288 DR, but no dwarven kingdom ever stood at the site of Waterdeep. By -1100 DR the elves were gone and after that it was human habitation. The Melairkyn dwarves were harried by drow and they were gone by 211 DR.

I'd recommend reading "City of Splendoes: Waterdeep" (3E) by Eric Boyd, and the 2E adventure "Undermountain: The Lost Level" by Steven Schend.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Dec 2020 20:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  20:45:56  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Inveterate_DM

A little context: I'm looking to build the rather random vault from Waterdeep: Dragon Heist into something a bit more interesting.
It's clearly Dwarven (or at least appears to be Dwarven now ) but it seems as though it's not connected to Undermountain or any existing structures whatsoever.
Oddly, it's only known entrance/exit is to the surface, which I found somewhat peculiar for a Dwarven vault.
Anyway, I know that the city of Waterdeep arose over the former site of Aelinthaldaar (Illefarn).
I know that there were a few other minor blips of civilizations, kingdoms, cities, etc. over the centuries as well.
I'm specifically wondering which of those might have built a vault of this nature?

Bonus Points: In the vault, there are a total of 12 sets of double-doors, and all but 2 of those sets are just false. They're doors mounted right to the rock.
Well, that's fine...I guess. But I was considering having them actually hide keyed portals or tunnels or something along those lines. If we can figure out a source for this Vault AND it includes a civilization that might have built portals? Well that'd be amazing :)

Thanks folks

I'm not familiar with the adventure you're working with, but between the years -1288 and 211 DR the dwarven kingdom of Melairbode was on the site of former Aelinthaldaar and later Waterdeep.

EDIT because correction by George.

On the other hand you have different fingers.

Edited by - Returnip on 14 Dec 2020 20:47:30
Go to Top of Page

Inveterate_DM
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  22:36:59  Show Profile Send Inveterate_DM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, from what I'm reading, that means that a Dwarven Vault of any age would likely be from the days of Illefarn and/or Melairbode.
Or, I suppose, just deciding that there was a small Dwarven settlement in that region significantly earlier or later that just wasn't historically noteworthy?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  22:50:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Inveterate_DM

So, from what I'm reading, that means that a Dwarven Vault of any age would likely be from the days of Illefarn and/or Melairbode.
Or, I suppose, just deciding that there was a small Dwarven settlement in that region significantly earlier or later that just wasn't historically noteworthy?

It doesn't even have to be a settlement -- maybe one of the earlier groups thought "Hey, we need a strong, secure vault, let's hire some dwarves to build it!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Inveterate_DM
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  22:52:38  Show Profile Send Inveterate_DM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good point. I mean, the motifs and such are very Dwarven, but I don't necessarily see that as a problem, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2020 :  08:21:09  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure the Melairkyn wasn't just inhabiting elven built structures during the long time they were there. If you google Melairkyn and Melairbode I'm sure you can dig up some history on their doings in the area. I would definitely say it was enough for them to leave traces in the architecture anyway. :)

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2021 :  02:55:52  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember, there would be no Illefarn traces whatsoever, for when the elves left they performed the High Magic ritual that erases any buildings or similar structures. It means the Melairkyn had to build their own stuff.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page