Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Jadron the Fang
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SuperWiz
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  12:32:04  Show Profile Send SuperWiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all. New member here. I am running a campaign in Cormyr for 5th edition D&D and wanted to join the site.

The group I DM for has finally made their way to the Stonelands after being offered the Baron title if they can tame it. I read up on the area and found out about the mercenary companies. Currently the party is fighting against The Neidlig goblin tribe and The Teeth ogre mercenary company.

I was going to make Jadron the Fang the first named villain the party was intended to take down (they are newly level 8), but all of the source material I can find doesn't have his race identified.

Would anyone know if Jadron is a human or an ogre? Or perhaps a hobgoblin?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  16:36:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it has to be taken as a given that Jadron is an ogre.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SuperWiz
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2020 :  18:43:51  Show Profile Send SuperWiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for anyone that had a concrete answer that possibly came from a novel or obscure sourcebook that I wasn't aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2020 :  19:00:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperWiz

I was looking for anyone that had a concrete answer that possibly came from a novel or obscure sourcebook that I wasn't aware of.

Pretty sure the only reference to him is leading that group of ogres, which makes it most likely that he himself is an ogre. Of course, given the absence of anything more, you can do with him pretty much what you want -- as I sometimes say, if something is not explicitly defined in canon, then you cannot violate that canon.

And even if there was something in canon, he's one of the more obscure things in Realmslore. Unless someone *really* knows their 2E-era mercs or ogres, no one's going to recognize the name.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SuperWiz
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  03:08:57  Show Profile Send SuperWiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first, mental image of him was a long-haired human in dark plate armor dual-wielding longswords. I think I will go with that.

Something about the name doesn't seem like an Ogre would name themselves.

Thanks for the replies, and if anyone comes along later and knows, please send me a message :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  04:43:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperWiz

My first, mental image of him was a long-haired human in dark plate armor dual-wielding longswords. I think I will go with that.

Something about the name doesn't seem like an Ogre would name themselves.

Thanks for the replies, and if anyone comes along later and knows, please send me a message :)

I would suggest that if you make him human, you make sure you have a very good reason for him to be leading a bunch of ogres -- and for them to follow him.

I myself would be inclined to make him something not fully ogre, but related -- a half-ogre or something.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  03:23:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte SuperWiz,

You will find the reference to his being an ogre on page 22 of accessory FR15: Gold and Glory. It states the following:

quote:
To join the Teeth, an ogre must go through a rigorous initiation, including filing all teeth to sharp points. The only way to leave the Teeth is by dying.

The implication there clearly being that to join the 'Teeth' one must be an ogre. It doesn't mean that the 'Teeth' do not control other forces beyond them, that do not possess 'membership' within that, loosely stated, organization.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000