Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 A Brief History of Netheril and Anauroch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  05:19:44  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've put together the following brief history of Netheril and Anauroch for a book I'm writing. I'd appreciate any feedback!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14hRHf_Yj_G-ZR9Qknl5j49eHrj43Swqvcc65iGA8HUc/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by - MTBlack on 17 Mar 2020 05:20:32

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  09:11:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte MTBlack,

Starting at the intention/aim of your book...what are you shooting for with the book? Is it only limited to a brief history, or is that sort of your executive summary?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  13:43:24  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik Scott de Bie and I placed the goliaths in Anauroch. You can see our 3.5E write up of his characters here on Candlekeep along with some history of the goliaths of the region. Not quite official, but arguably somewhere in between.
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  23:06:09  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte MTBlack,

Starting at the intention/aim of your book...what are you shooting for with the book? Is it only limited to a brief history, or is that sort of your executive summary?

It's going to be a sourcebook for Anauroch - player options, gazetteer, etc. This is the extent of the history I'm including - just an overview.
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  23:13:06  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Erik Scott de Bie and I placed the goliaths in Anauroch. You can see our 3.5E write up of his characters here on Candlekeep along with some history of the goliaths of the region. Not quite official, but arguably somewhere in between.

Yes, I only recently realized that Goliaths had been placed in Anauroch - around Azirrhat according to the FR wiki. I will also check out your article. I think its a great idea and I'm definitely going to play up goliaths as player options in my sourcebook.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  23:17:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte MTBlack,

Very cool. Thank you for the upcoming contribution! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  00:09:44  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte MTBlack,

Very cool. Thank you for the upcoming contribution! :)

My pleasure!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2020 :  05:16:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Did any of your work place Goliath's anywhere else by chance? I have nothing to reference, but I thought from some lore somewhere, that Goliath's were also known to live within the Dragonspire, Desertsmouth, Earthspur, and Galena Mountain ranges. Does that sound correct at all to you?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2020 :  18:58:07  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik had Gargan originating from the Plain of Standing Stones in Anauroch. We added the following:

"The few known goliath settlements (there may be more goliaths than many sages realize, given the fact that goliaths are often mistaken for giant-kin races by those who don't have the time to scrutinize the species they are observing) include a few tribes in the northern ranges of Anauroch (the largest being in the Plain of Speaking Stones), a cold-adapted tribe on the High Ice, at least one small tribe in the mountains of Chult (where they are on good terms with the local wild dwarves) and a fair sized tribe in the Uthangol Mountains near the Great Rift, where the goliaths war with gnolls and other beasts for territory, and generally deal peacefully with gold dwarf merchants and the stone giants that have migrated there from the Black Ash Plain.
"The goliaths’ kin, the feral garguns, were created by mingling with giants in the High Ice of Anauroch and who have themselves taken to worshipping a true neutral feminine aspect of Ulutiu known as Galtha (actually believed to be a remnant of Othea), the Mother of Winter."

4E FR Player's Guide had them originating in "little-known ranges of eastern Faerun--the Thesk Mountains, the Mountains of Copper, the Sunrise Mountains, and even the bitterly cold Icerim Mountains."

Both could be true, but you end up really spreading the goliaths across Faerun since Erik and I focused on Anauroch and west and 4E suggests east.

The upcoming Rime of the Frostmaiden adventure apparently will place goliaths in the Spine, which seems in line with what Erik and I proposed.

There may be other lore about where goliaths are found, but if so I can't recall it.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2020 :  19:44:39  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost forgot 3E Champions of Valor places them in Azirrhat or northernmost mountains in Anauroch (consistent with Erik and my stuff), Spine of the World, and Chult.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  03:18:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Great reference to 4e for the goliath. Thank you! Thesk is particularly of interest to me for that. From what you know, is that the Thesk Moutain's proper, the Dragonjaw Mountains, or both?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000