Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Adventure following Waterdeep Dragonheist
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AliMaClan
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2020 :  21:38:21  Show Profile Send AliMaClan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my doughty adventurers completed Waterdeep: Dragonheist last night. They successfully found and retrieved the hoard of dragons, subverted Manshoon's dastardly plans, and are presently Waterdeep's celebrities of the day. They were given gifts and rewards by Laeral Silverhand and are, for the moment, the heroes of the city.
We had a meeting after our session and I offered several options for future play: begin a new campaign with new characters, continue with their current characters and explore Undermountain, further Waterdeep exploits etc. They have opted to continue with their current characters and want to further explore the realms. Huzzah!
We play with another family and adults and children 8-11 all play together. Another friends daughter is also going to join in. (Interestingly, other than myself, the adults are all first time players who came along for the ride because the kids were into it, but now they are all well and truly hooked and there is a waiting list for other families who have heard about our games and would like to play.) I am pretty easy going with the rules and use a homebrew mix of the old Basic and 5e rules for ease of play and speed, (8 PCs in the party!) My own history was as a basic & 1st ed ADD player in the early 80s - I just picked it up again recently when my kids became interested.
My current thinking is to set them off on a quest to learn about, then destroy or dispose of the stone of Golorr. I made it quite a sinister item in our game - when the character who was attuned to it sought to draw upon its lore, the stone "deleted" some of the character's memories or skills - so by the time they had discovered the location of the vault and the keys, the character only recognized half the party - much to their collective horror. I also have an arch villain in Manshoon as they thwarted his plans but did not destroy the current simulacrum.
They don't know that the stone is an Aboleth (indeed I may change it to a more iconic D&D creature like a Dragon or Beholder.)
I am also thinking that I will make the new PC begin at 1st level and they can have some unknown fate or prophecy concerning the stone attached to them. (The chosen one/Luke Skywalker/Frodo trope.)
I am imagining that the next chapter in the ongoing saga will be a trip to Candlekeep itself to discover more about the stone and how to destroy it, but after this I don't have too many ideas.
I am looking for some suggestions for possible future plot lines/story arcs. I think I may have them complete some minor quests/mission en route, (I was thinking of pulling out the old Keep on the Borderlands or Village of Hommlet for them to bash some baddies and save some local peasantry...) there are characters who are Harpers and Emerald Enclave in the party.
How should they destroy the ring *cough* I mean... the stone of Golorr? What other properties might it have? Where else should they visit and who else should they meet en route? What nasty surprises should Manshoon have in store for them? What would you do in my place? Any and all ideas are welcome. Remember though, its a family show!

Exiled from the realms for 35 years on a quest for the lost chord. I return empty handed to resume my studies...

Edited by - AliMaClan on 09 Aug 2020 21:43:06
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000